I often hear things now like "BlackBerry sucks" and "I hate BlackBerrys" (I live in heavy iPhone territory) but the problem is that people compare their new iPhones and Android devices to the older BlackBerry models such as OS5 (when RIM was in its prime) and earlier instead of BB7 or even BB6 (which I will admit sort of lacked better specs to match the software).

People just think of the black clock of death, as I like to call it, and slow internet browsing...but hey...that was technology back then. iPhones were just as slow but still "Revolutionary" since it was Apple. That is what people compare new phones too: Old BlackBerrys.

Newer BB7 devices are quite comparable to the bland iOS5, which has had only 3 real new features in the past 5 years: folders which BB had for a long time, search which BB had since OS6, and Siri, which BB sort of has in OS7. I think it is better than even Android 4.0 which I thought was sort of a letdown. When it comes to connectivity and features such as this, BlackBerry will leave the competition behind.

Apps: Yes we know BlackBerry doesn't have the selection that the App Store has, but, again, people are still comparing to OS5 and earlier. Back then, there wasn't a huge selection since phones back then were less powerful. Now, there isn't a bad selection (including games) and would certainly be enough for me to get through the day. Full touchscreen phones certainly help the cause, too.

If only people would realize that BB OS is NOT what it used to be. BB7 is now faster, smoother, and more responsive than previous OS's. Heck, they now have a dedicated graphics CPU, which even the iPhone doesn't have. Even the specs are on par or better than most Android phones (with the exception of the brandy-new ones since they come out every week really), and close to iPhone 4s (which was released later). Why knock BB?

I still regret the day I went Android. Believe it or not, I might switch back to my Tour which runs OS5. As pissed as I am about BB10 being delayed (again) RIM isn't going under...don't just take what the media and word of mouth has to say. TEAM BLACKBERRY FTW!
    flash24, Cesare21, XDrew42 and 5 others like this.
    07-02-12 07:14 PM
    All Jane Doe wants to know, is if she can run the latest applications. Blackberry has been slacking for quite some time. I purchased 3 bb's in two years, and all of them felt like the same phone. People expect more from a smart phone now days. If you're going to dish out $80+ you'd expect your phone to offer more than email and security. My two cents
    07-02-12 07:33 PM
    I own a Bold 9930, plus a slew of other smartphones with other mobile operating systems (see my signature). Excluding notifications, Blackberry 7 OS is vastly inferior to competing mobile operating systems IMO.
    Yaceka and Speedygi like this.
    07-02-12 07:46 PM
    think BlackBerry's are inadequate? If and when BB10 devices are released they are going to have a front facing camera which have been around since 2010 on other devices. They are basically going to catch up to three years technology. That within itself should tell you how inadequate current devices are.
    07-02-12 07:54 PM
    and iOS5 doesn't feel like iOS3 get really its the same and the same stupid layout. when you really compare the power of the chipsets in the 9900 and the iphone 4s the logical winner there is not the iphone its the bold, apple degraded the A4 chipset from the ipad2 for longer battery life, so it is really only an 800mHz dualcore with 512mb RAm compared to 1.2gHz and 768mb RAM. the iphone just has a 7megapixel rear facign cam and a front facing cam, as well as product recognition that says its superior, far from true and apps
    07-02-12 07:54 PM
    How many times can the same topic be posted? Do you think we've explored this issue enough yet?
    07-02-12 07:55 PM
    How many times can the same topic be posted? Do you think we've explored this issue enough yet?
    Only another 9 months to go! :-)
    shaleem, louzer, DrBit2011 and 2 others like this.
    07-02-12 08:01 PM
    and iOS5 doesn't feel like iOS3 get really its the same and the same stupid layout. when you really compare the power of the chipsets in the 9900 and the iphone 4s the logical winner there is not the iphone its the bold, apple degraded the A4 chipset from the ipad2 for longer battery life, so it is really only an 800mHz dualcore with 512mb RAm compared to 1.2gHz and 768mb RAM. the iphone just has a 7megapixel rear facign cam and a front facing cam, as well as product recognition that says its superior, far from true and apps
    Exactly...people don't realize that Apple downclocks their processors so you really aren't getting dual core 1GHZ. Plus having a good initial core speed (BB Bold, Torch's with 1.2 GHZ) is more important than people think.
    07-02-12 08:10 PM
    The chipset in the iPhone 4S blows the water out of the one in the 9900. Let's not even get into this argument. The snapdragon in the 9900 is great, but not on the level of the A5 (not the A4 which is in the iPhone 4).

You also didn't mention the GPU. The 4S has the second best GPU on the market, the only one that is better is the one in the new iPad. The one in the 9900 does not come close to the same performance.

If you basing your logic off of specs, the iPhone 4S is the clear winner. There is no disputing that. The processor, screen, internal memory, GPU and camera(s) are all better. The only thing the Bold has is a physical keyboard (which is a preference) and a tiny bit more memory.

Are you saying the 9900 has a better camera than the 4S? If you are, you are trying hard to defend RIM or have some interesting vision. There is pretty much no denying that the iPhone 4S camera is better than the 9900.
    07-02-12 08:16 PM
    I often hear things now like "BlackBerry sucks" and "I hate BlackBerrys" (I live in heavy iPhone territory) but the problem is that people compare their new iPhones and Android devices to the older BlackBerry models such as OS5 (when RIM was in its prime) and earlier instead of BB7 or even BB6 (which I will admit sort of lacked better specs to match the software).

People just think of the black clock of death, as I like to call it, and slow internet browsing...but hey...that was technology back then. iPhones were just as slow but still "Revolutionary" since it was Apple. That is what people compare new phones too: Old BlackBerrys.

Newer BB7 devices are quite comparable to the bland iOS5, which has had only 3 real new features in the past 5 years: folders which BB had for a long time, search which BB had since OS6, and Siri, which BB sort of has in OS7. I think it is better than even Android 4.0 which I thought was sort of a letdown. When it comes to connectivity and features such as this, BlackBerry will leave the competition behind.

Apps: Yes we know BlackBerry doesn't have the selection that the App Store has, but, again, people are still comparing to OS5 and earlier. Back then, there wasn't a huge selection since phones back then were less powerful. Now, there isn't a bad selection (including games) and would certainly be enough for me to get through the day. Full touchscreen phones certainly help the cause, too.

If only people would realize that BB OS is NOT what it used to be. BB7 is now faster, smoother, and more responsive than previous OS's. Heck, they now have a dedicated graphics CPU, which even the iPhone doesn't have. Even the specs are on par or better than most Android phones (with the exception of the brandy-new ones since they come out every week really), and close to iPhone 4s (which was released later). Why knock BB?

I still regret the day I went Android. Believe it or not, I might switch back to my Tour which runs OS5. As pissed as I am about BB10 being delayed (again) RIM isn't going under...don't just take what the media and word of mouth has to say. TEAM BLACKBERRY FTW!
    First off all, BB7 phones aren't even in the same ball park as high end Android phones or the iPhone4S in specs. BB7 phones have similiar specs to the Samsung Galaxy S and iPhone 4 and both came out in 2010. Heck, both have front facing cameras and no current Blackberry phone has one. I do agree that most people are biased because of their old Blackberrys. The problem with OS7 phones is that they look inferior to high end Androids and the iPhone 4s. Look at the SGS3, HTC One X/S, iPhone 4s, Galaxy Nexus, etc. They have bigger and better screens than any keyboard BB and have better virtual keyboards than the Torches. They have front facing cameras for video chat. They have several VOIP calling apps that Blackberry doesn't have. They have the games that no Blackberry phone has. Both have superior Internet browsers (and numerous 3rd party browsing options).

It is very easy to understand why people have left Blackberry and why RIM is countering the onslaught with BB10.
    Drew808 and Yaceka like this.
    07-02-12 08:30 PM
    Maybe if OS7 phones had come out sooner than they did people wouldn't have moved on and therefore they wouldn't have os 4.5 and os5 as their final bb experience. But that's not what happened. now the marketshare is lost, nobody will build apps and how great the 9900 may be is irrelavent...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-02-12 08:31 PM
    As long as you get what works for you...

I will say this... for a lot of people, it boils down to one word: ecosystem.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    07-02-12 08:39 PM
    The chipset in the iPhone 4S blows the water out of the one in the 9900. Let's not even get into this argument. The snapdragon in the 9900 is great, but not on the level of the A5 (not the A4 which is in the iPhone 4).

You also didn't mention the GPU. The 4S has the second best GPU on the market, the only one that is better is the one in the new iPad. The one in the 9900 does not come close to the same performance.

If you basing your logic off of specs, the iPhone 4S is the clear winner. There is no disputing that. The processor, screen, internal memory, GPU and camera(s) are all better. The only thing the Bold has is a physical keyboard (which is a preference) and a tiny bit more memory.

Are you saying the 9900 has a better camera than the 4S? If you are, you are trying hard to defend RIM or have some interesting vision. There is pretty much no denying that the iPhone 4S camera is better than the 9900.
    I can't believe people are even trying to compare the processors in these two devices lol...

Even downgraded to get better battery life, I would love to have a dual core 800mhz processor in my phone. It would help with some of the hour glassing I still get with my 9900
    avt123 and PedroBorgas like this.
    07-02-12 08:39 PM
    Most people over 12yrs old use what works for them and their needs and really don't care what others think of their freaking PHONE.

Its mind numbing that people get worked up defending an electronic device.
    undone, CairnsRock and GSThomas like this.
    07-02-12 08:43 PM
    Oh boy this thread sure was a failure
    07-02-12 08:47 PM
    You know, there IS a difference between iOS3 and iOS5. No matter how small or subtle it may be to you. Just think of BBOS 4 and 5, and maybe prior to that. And the last iOS upgrade added a few features that, if they didn't have, I would have gotten rid of my phone. Some of them are actually better than on my Android phone and my BB. That goes both ways too though.

And, do you really want to get into specs between the 4S and the 9900?

Also, if RIM would actually throw out some decent ads for BB7, people might know how "awesome" it is.
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 07-02-12 at 09:03 PM.
    07-02-12 08:59 PM
    Well you're right: my boss still has a 9700, and he's far from being impressed, especially when his family members own the latest iPhone. And employees that have the 9800 don't say great things about that phone, and the couple that just got a 9900 have trouble with theirs. So there's a general BB malaise going on, and it's just not our company, it's many companies. Doesn't matter if the new BBs are great, many people view a BB as the free phone your company gives you and locks down.

Our company last week just approved the iPhone. So guess what he's getting now that his contract on the 9700 is up? He hears that the iPhone can be partitioned so that there's a private part and a company part. Maybe that's true, I don't know, but sure sounds better than a completely locked down BB.

Note that my views reflect the enterprise side of BB.
    07-02-12 09:02 PM
    BB7 is inadequate in comparison when it comes to business productivity, ease of use, app development, and the familiarity of the device.

Lowe's purchased 42,000 iPhones for their employees because they realized BlackBerrys are inadequate: Lowe's Purchases 42,000 iPhones for Employees

Want a list of 50 other corporations that are now using iPhones and Andoirds too because BB7 is inadequate?

For my corporation, it does not matter if the BB7 handsets had the latest i7 in them with 16GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680's in quad-SLI with 12 years of battery life. The operating system is not nearly stable enough and it does not reliably run the apps that are required in our work environment.

The corporation I work for requires the use of Android or iOS (iOS is preferred) because none of the other platforms allow us to use our line of business apps on the mobile while we're on the road (ConnectWise, LabTech, etc...). We used to be BlackBerry only until these extremely powerful productivity business apps that a lot of enterprises are adopting became so widely available for the applications we use. I can't even imagine a world where I'm only using my smartphone for Email and calls - businesses are still WAY behind the productivity curve if they are running BB7.
    07-02-12 09:18 PM
    Well you're right: my boss still has a 9700, and he's far from being impressed, especially when his family members own the latest iPhone. And employees that have the 9800 don't say great things about that phone, and the couple that just got a 9900 have trouble with theirs. So there's a general BB malaise going on, and it's just not our company, it's many companies. Doesn't matter if the new BBs are great, many people view a BB as the free phone your company gives you and locks down.

Our company last week just approved the iPhone. So guess what he's getting now that his contract on the 9700 is up? He hears that the iPhone can be partitioned so that there's a private part and a company part. Maybe that's true, I don't know, but sure sounds better than a completely locked down BB.

Note that my views reflect the enterprise side of BB.
    Apple really has to do no marketing...nothing that is really special about it....its just that its Apple
    07-02-12 09:20 PM
    Do blackberry support OpenGL yet? Just OS7 right?

I know the storm2 did and it was disabled in an update (mine was anyway). Curious is all.
    Last edited by xandermac; 07-02-12 at 09:42 PM.
    07-02-12 09:39 PM
    Its inadequate in terms of what it offers compared to the rest of the market and what other "phones" are doing now or even last year when it launched. Thats it. In terms of being a communication device, very few products can really top it as an all around product but thats not what consumers want anymore.
    07-02-12 09:49 PM
    BB7 is inadequate in comparison when it comes to business productivity, ease of use, app development, and the familiarity of the device.

Lowe's purchased 42,000 iPhones for their employees because they realized BlackBerrys are inadequate: Lowe's Purchases 42,000 iPhones for Employees

Want a list of 50 other corporations that are now using iPhones and Andoirds too because BB7 is inadequate?

For my corporation, it does not matter if the BB7 handsets had the latest i7 in them with 16GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680's in quad-SLI with 12 years of battery life. The operating system is not nearly stable enough and it does not reliably run the apps that are required in our work environment.

The corporation I work for requires the use of Android or iOS (iOS is preferred) because none of the other platforms allow us to use our line of business apps on the mobile while we're on the road (ConnectWise, LabTech, etc...). We used to be BlackBerry only until these extremely powerful productivity business apps that a lot of enterprises are adopting became so widely available for the applications we use. I can't even imagine a world where I'm only using my smartphone for Email and calls - businesses are still WAY behind the productivity curve if they are running BB7.

That depends on what the business does. I also don't find my 9900 inadequate for my business use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-02-12 09:52 PM
    I wasn't going to touch this thread...but I do have one thing to say. One shouldn't have to justify their decision to use one platform by putting down the others. BB7 works well for you? Great! It's a nifty lil device with some great merits. Some like Android or iOS? That's wonderful, too. Really, it all comes down to personal preference and what one needs and expects from their daily driver, and no one person is exactly alike. Having the choice of several different platforms is a GOOD THING! It ensures the majority of users will find a device that works spectacularly for them. Who cares if the person sitting next to you on the bus is using something different?

RIM knows what they're up against when it comes to the other platforms (at least I hope I do by now). This is one reason why I'm super excited for BB10. The bar has been set and they know they need to put out something no one has seen before in terms of innovation. I'm confident that they'll accomplish this, even if it's a bit later than we hoped. Can't we all just be excited together and not judge what devices we happen to be using in the meantime? On launch day, How cool would it be to be standing in line among users of all different platforms, all eager to get their grubby lil paws on BB10?
    07-02-12 09:58 PM
    I prefer android as a day to day device for reasons of longevity and customization. I bought an HTC Sensation last year, it's already considered a legacy device, it won't be receiving the latest software from HTC, and that doesn't affect me. There are so many developers for my phone it's likely to stay relevant for quite a while longer. HTC says "we're not going to put the latest version of sense on your phone" NO PROBLEM. There are multiple developers that have ported the entire OS from the latest HTC phone the HTC One X and One S to the Sensation. Literally the entire thing, so I can experience having the latest software without having to rely on a carrier or even manufacturer for an update. This scenario has never ever happened on BlackBerry, though the effect is less felt because RIM releases a lot less devices these days.

The icing on the cake is that I'm not limited to one experience. I can install an OS, get it all set up the way I want it, restore all of my apps and data in less than 3 minutes and make a backup, then i can restore another backup of a different OS and have a totally different android experience in under 10 minutes. I can swap between these OS's at will in minutes. There are a lot of choices too, literally dozens of different OS's with dozens of developers supporting my phone independently. I can set up performance profiles to the likes of having the CPU downclock to nearly nothing while the screen is off, overclock when I'm playing a game or running a heavy app, set up brightness profiles with 20 different levels of brightness depending on the time of day, where I am, if I'm moving. I can set up scenarios where if I leave the house my WI-FI turns off, or if I get in my car I can have my GPS, bluetooth, and navigation turn on automatically, start playing music which isn't even stored on the device from a myriad of different services (google music (which stores my entire 150gb music library remotely), spotify, pandora, etc) and I don't even have to touch the device.

Sounds profiles can change under any different scenario I can imagine. I can install from an insane amount of choice of keyboards, homescreen launchers, etc and the reliability of service is something I find to be a notch above what I was experiencing with RIM. I switched during a year in which we had around 5 BIS outages, some lasting over a day. The flexibility of being able to have a BBM like experience with Google+ is also a heavy advantage to me. Not only does it support read and delivered messages, online status, and typing notifications, it does group video chatting. None of this is even hard to do or set up either. I can do stuff like remotely manage my computer from my phone also.

I don't use cable TV, I download my shows. So imagine if I'm at dinner, or out somewhere and I think of something I'd like to watch when I get home. I can download the show on my phone, which kicks the download to my computer, and it's on my media server waiting when I get home. I have access to nearly all of my information without having to even open an app also, widgets add an extreme amount of functionality to a user experience and cut down on data usage. Sometimes I leave my home and think, "man what was that website I was looking at when we left" . I simply open up chrome and since it syncs to my computer with 0 wires ever, all of the tabs open in chrome on my computer are readily available on my phone. Everything I've mentioned here never once requires I attach a cable to my phone. I could actually lose my phone entirely, go get a new one, sync the new phone to my google account and dropbox, and not only is my data restored with my apps, all of my backups and OS's are on my phone in a matter of minutes. I can send SMS' through my computer, that sync with the phone also. This post is getting longer than I thought it would so I'll leave it there. I could probably go on for a long time. The point though is, I can make my phone an extreme customization of how I want my mobile experience to be and I'm not forced to purchase new hardware if I want the latest and greatest offerings from Google.

To demonstrate this, here's a link to the development section for my phone. What you'll be looking at is mostly ROMs (OS's) just for my phone, there are already teams of people working on Android 4.1 for my phone, and that hasn't even been released yet. Some of these threads have literally millions of views, and that's just one phone!
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-02-12 at 10:34 PM.
    07-02-12 10:20 PM
    If all people were the same then then these threads would make sense.,.. seeing as we are all different... comparisons simply do not work.... bottom line.... when you start bring personal need and viewpoint into the mix... nothing is valid anymore.... becomes a popularity contest which not one can win....
    07-02-12 10:32 PM
311 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD