You are being data mined by browsing the crackberry website, also by doing a bing search, google search, yahoo search any search. Even if you use firefox with all of its security plugins. Talk about browsing on the playbook, where you dont even have the option to reduce the amount of trackers that stick to you. Any commercial website, will probably at least, have one tracker. Buy something online, you will get data mined like h_ll.

But sure, thats Google's #1 job, ad serving, they are the gods of gathering data. However, if thinking that you are free of data mining by using your blackberry phone or playbook, you are in for one rude awakening, because even RIM data mines, browsing a website is being exposed to data mining. Really, there is absolutely nothing you can do unless you disconnect from the internet entirely.
    100% free of data mining? No

But I search using www.startpage.com and I use the private browsing mode on my Playbook. My email on my blackberry is not data mined. And I could go on, there are many steps you can take to be almost data mine free.
    11-08-12 02:37 AM
    100% free of data mining? No

But I search using www.startpage.com and I use the private browsing mode on my Playbook. My email on my blackberry is not data mined. And I could go on, there are many steps you can take to be almost data mine free.
    You cant, sorry to burst your bubble, even the very internet connection you are using is data mined. Even when you purchase a car you get heavily data mined, yiieah, it even applies to non-software things, because, things like "databases" exist. I was kind of wrong by saying you would have to disconnect from the internet entirely, you would actually have to live in a cave.

There is no way to get to almost, not even half or a quarter, you got rid of google, now you have billions of sites more to get rid of. Even magazine, newspaper, digital cable subscription is data mined. Sorry, go find another excuse so you can show off your blackberry superiority complex or makes you sleep safer, or if you do then fine, believe whatever that little bubble of yours wants to believe.

Aaand there goes the hole in what you said, I fell for it for a second, playbook's private browsing does store cookies, history and cache, the only difference is that it deletes them at exit, but the session is completely valid while being used. That.. hmm... not good, shut it off, some company out there, some where, in a random place, is tracking you.
    Last edited by nms64; 11-08-12 at 02:57 AM.
    11-08-12 02:44 AM
    It doesnt matter if its for a specific colour or not. Doesnt matter if its only one carrier or more. Bottom line is that somewhere, at least one company, has solidified my belief that getting attention is what others believe android (gs3 in this place) owners make heir decision to buy on.
    OH FFS. :banghead:

Bell had similar marketing for the Storm exclusivity. BB users are such attention wh0res.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    11-08-12 02:45 AM
    I would imagine using a BlackBerry device nowadays would garner more attention than any Android, iOS device. haha. Pretty much the same for any Windows Phone. hahaha. When I am using my Android, iOS devices, no one asks or say anything. When I am on WP, people asks what that is. When I am on my BB, people ask "Why?".

I think whether an Android phone is cheap is depending on which model you are looking at. If you're looking at Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Mini, its a lot cheaper than an iPhone, or BlackBerry. In my country you can find free Android devices on contract, on a basic data plan. Where as even a Curve 9320 requires user to top up a certain amount, that plus you need BIS. So I wouldn't exactly call Android devices cheap, i think BlackBerry devices are the one that is more expensive in comparison. Most consumer would logically go for an Android device since the ecosystem is better, and it costs less than a BlackBerry.

But if you look at the higher end of the scale, the Galaxy Note 2. On the exact same contract, The Note 2 costs 70 USD more than the iPhone 5 in my country. So what Android is, is actually offering a wide variety of handsets and at almost all price points. Those who cite their reason for going for Android as being cheap obviously wanted a cheaper device.

The simplest reason why people by Android vs why they buy BlackBerry is simple. Its their own choice and preference. And that's the end of it. No platform is perfect for everyone. Every platform has their own strengths and weaknesses.
    11-08-12 03:02 AM
    OH FFS. :banghead:

Bell had similar marketing for the Storm exclusivity. BB users are such attention wh0res.

I have to confess. I had a Storm. hahahahahaha.

Why people buy android vs. Why they buy blackberry-screen-shot-2012-11-08-5.13.46-pm.png
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-08-12 03:14 AM
    You cant, sorry to burst your bubble, even the very internet connection you are using is data mined. Even when you purchase a car you get heavily data mined, yiieah, it even applies to non-software things, because, things like "databases" exist. I was kind of wrong by saying you would have to disconnect from the internet entirely, you would actually have to live in a cave.

There is no way to get to almost, not even half or a quarter, you got rid of google, now you have billions of sites more to get rid of. Even magazine, newspaper, digital cable subscription is data mined. Sorry, go find another excuse so you can show off your blackberry superiority complex or makes you sleep safer, or if you do then fine, believe whatever that little bubble of yours wants to believe.
    I beg to difer, my own hosted email is not data mined unless of course I send an email to a gmail address.

My magazines and newspapers are not data mined simply because they're made of paper and I paid cash for them.

I do not use store loyalty cards.

I can block cookies if I need to do anything important on my blackberry or playbook and startpage.com does not track my IP address.

Let's see, on the other hand Google found guilty of ignoring the do not track button on all browserd, found guilty of stealing data from private wifi networks with their streetview cars, found guilty of not deleting the data as ordered by courts a few years later. �

Forgive me if I will never trust Google.
    11-08-12 03:15 AM
    I have to confess. I had a Storm. hahahahahaha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 5.13.46 PM.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	420.3 KB 
ID:	124980
    So did I. ZOMG WE FELL FOR A MARKETING GIMMIC.

Or is it only a GIMMIC and looking for attention if the ad is extolling the specialness of anything other than BB? Lord knows there was nothing gimmicky about the DJs, or the chick with the Web tour no one had heard of, or cupcake girl, or the sheer coolness of glow in the dark 10 speeds...

Alex_Hong and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-08-12 03:28 AM
    So what makes that ad any different from the ads showing BB devces sporting colours other than black?

Oh....OK....if the devices are something other than BB then it's marketing to consumers who want to get noticed.

If the devices are BBs then it's marketing to show other colours.

So....when I bought my red 8310 I wasn't being a gullible consumer because it was a BB. But when I bought a white Skyrocket I was being a gullible consumer because....um....er....eh?????

So if BB10 devices show up in red I'll be a gullible consumer BUT it will be OK because it will be a BB.....

WHEW.....I was worried there for a minute that I was a gullible consumer for liking coloured devices.....
    11-08-12 03:55 AM
    What I'm wondering is how does a Crackberry member gets away with calling BlackBerry users Wh0res, how's that for a generalization eh @pantlesspenguin?
    11-08-12 04:07 AM
    The advertisement is there not because Samsung want to advertise at crackberry forum. Rather because you searched for Samsung S3 recently, the advertisement will show up. IF you are in a Android forum and you search for Blackberry recently, a Blackberry will be advertised on Android forum also.

- Charles
    11-08-12 05:46 AM
    I buy Android devices because Linux is my choice of operating system (no Windows and no Apples). The larger screen, specific applications available, and the internet browser are what I benefit from Android. So I use a Nexus 7 because it fits in my pocket, current hardware, and software.

My main device is the Blackberry Bold because I like hardware and software, and it is a solid daily driver.
    11-08-12 08:57 AM
    Ive never been to android central or looked up anything to do with bell or android, or samsung, or this phone. Only tech site i come to is cb
    They don't necessarily care that you didn't shop for an Android phone. It's what sites you visited. Maybe you visited a Canadian phone company and it thinks you want to switch?

I get ads for baby crap from Amazon on my ads all the time and I can't stand kids but they do it because I'm female and apparently according to Amazon, every woman on this planet foams at the mouth for babies.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-08-12 10:14 AM
    What I'm wondering is how does a Crackberry member gets away with calling BlackBerry users Wh0res, how's that for a generalization eh @pantlesspenguin?
    Erm...reading comprehension? She was making a tongue-in-cheek comment that if Bell thinks the public wants to demand attention so they advertise a red SGS3, then Bell also thinks the same about BB users advertising exclusivity for the Storm. She was pointing out a double standard regarding the original post. And wasn't it *you* who was getting after *me* for bringing up old discussions/points in other threads?
    reeneebob and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-08-12 10:33 AM
    I get ads for baby crap from Amazon on my ads all the time and I can't stand kids but they do it because I'm female and apparently according to Amazon, every woman on this planet foams at the mouth for babies.
    LOL!! Same. I get ads on FB for sperm donation/fertilization centers. WHAT??
    11-08-12 10:34 AM
    They don't necessarily care that you didn't shop for an Android phone. It's what sites you visited. Maybe you visited a Canadian phone company and it thinks you want to switch?

If I recall, he's from Canada. Hence the Bell ad.

I loathe the baby centric ads. I guess they forget that maybe some can't have kids and seeing the ads is rather... Distressing.

11-08-12 11:25 AM
    Erm...reading comprehension? She was making a tongue-in-cheek comment that if Bell thinks the public wants to demand attention so they advertise a red SGS3, then Bell also thinks the same about BB users advertising exclusivity for the Storm. She was pointing out a double standard regarding the original post. And wasn't it *you* who was getting after *me* for bringing up old discussions/points in other threads?
    So all people who buy Android are desperate for attention according the erroneous thinking of the OP (who clearly doesn't understand the point of a carrier advertising their exclusivity of a device or colour) , and BD suddenly Iives in Literal World and thinks the term 'attention wh0re' is actually calling people wh0res. Of course in Ireland apparently people don't use sarcasm, and if they have a favorite colour they are victims of marketing manipulation (I was apparently an easily manipulated 3 year old when I realized red was my favorite and went through a phase of crying if my outfit wasn't red. And here I thought I just liked red. So glad I've been told what I think).

Are we being punked? This is elaborate Internet performance art, isn't it?

11-08-12 11:42 AM
    So what makes that ad any different from the ads showing BB devces sporting colours other than black?

Oh....OK....if the devices are something other than BB then it's marketing to consumers who want to get noticed.

If the devices are BBs then it's marketing to show other colours.

So....when I bought my red 8310 I wasn't being a gullible consumer because it was a BB. But when I bought a white Skyrocket I was being a gullible consumer because....um....er....eh?????

So if BB10 devices show up in red I'll be a gullible consumer BUT it will be OK because it will be a BB.....

WHEW.....I was worried there for a minute that I was a gullible consumer for liking coloured devices.....
    AT&T displayed the red 8310 or 8320 (I don't remember which one it was) with Ohio State University wallpaper.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-08-12 11:57 AM
    I just did a forum search and found about 5,170 instances of "crackhead". So do you think that calling BlackBerry users "crackheads" is a generalization? In the US outside of tech sites, that term usually refers to freebase cocaine addicts.
    11-08-12 12:05 PM
    So all people who buy Android are desperate for attention according the erroneous thinking of the OP (who clearly doesn't understand the point of a carrier advertising their exclusivity of a device or colour) , and BD suddenly Iives in Literal World and thinks the term 'attention wh0re' is actually calling people wh0res. Of course in Ireland apparently people don't use sarcasm, and if they have a favorite colour they are victims of marketing manipulation (I was apparently an easily manipulated 3 year old when I realized red was my favorite and went through a phase of crying if my outfit wasn't red. And here I thought I just liked red. So glad I've been told what I think).

Are we being punked? This is elaborate Internet performance art, isn't it?

To note...Irish sarcasm is such a fine art that you unwittingly thank the person who insulted.

Bad practitioners of the art get lambasted.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-08-12 12:09 PM
    AT&T displayed the red 8310 or 8320 (I don't remember which one it was) with Ohio State University wallpaper.
    GIMMIC!

11-08-12 12:09 PM
    I just did a forum search and found about 5,170 instances of "crackhead". So do you think that calling BlackBerry users "crackheads" is a generalization? In the US outside of tech sites, that term usually refers to freebase cocaine addicts.
    Thats different. The rules don't apply when it's BB. Like how using the common phrase attention wh0re is smearing all BB users (through whatever fun house mirror that argument was viewed through because it makes no sense) but referring to all Apple users as iSheep is not at all negative or derogatory. Also presuming that if someone is using a BB they are important and productive, but an iphone user is playing games only and is a slacker. Now, the BB user could be using his BB to organize his stable and he is a pimp, but it's okay... BB users DO. At least he's not an iSheep.

Selective generalizations. Hypocrisy. Love it.

11-08-12 12:13 PM
    every please try and keep the personal attacks out of the conversation. the topic at hand is why people choose one phone over another. lets try to find our way back there. thank you all for your understanding.
    11-08-12 12:19 PM
    every please try and keep the personal attacks out of the conversation. the topic at hand is why people choose one phone over another. lets try to find our way back there. thank you all for your understanding.
    To be fair, the topic was "I saw a targeted ad for Bell Mobility that was advertising its exclusivity of the red colour in Canada, so anyone who chooses the SGS3 does so to be the centre of attention unlike this BB ad made by RIM and not a carrier specific ad for exclusivity of a model". It was started to insinuate that only people desperately seeking attention use android, and the OP was then a stubborn, argumentative wall when called out about the fallacy of his argument.

The OP had no interest in why people choose, he was making a dig.

Yes anyone can say they get a device because it meets their needs. But this marketing ad has caught android red handed admitting what i think most blackberry users have always felt was the truth.
    It doesnt matter if its for a specific colour or not. Doesnt matter if its only one carrier or more. Bottom line is that somewhere, at least one company, has solidified my belief that getting attention is what others believe android (gs3 in this place) owners make heir decision to buy on.
    11-08-12 12:29 PM
    What's wrong with "attention seekers" do they or we really have to be called attention wh0res? And you knew the word would not be allowed since you inserted the 0. Bottom line, it was meant to insult and it did.
    11-08-12 01:49 PM
    What's wrong with "attention seekers" do they or we really have to be called attention wh0res? And you knew the word would not be allowed since you inserted the 0. Bottom line, it was meant to insult and it did.
    No, not it wasn't. Attention wh0re is just a term, an expression. Do a CB search on the word "wh0re" and even put the "o" in it. You'll find references to theme wh0res, bluetooth wh0res, mobile wh0res, post wh0res, and even BlackBerry wh0res. A buddy of mine who just became an ordained Lutheran minister once proclaimed "I'm a God wh0re!" What if the OP had phrased his opinion "Bell is selling the red SGS3 that way because they know Android users are attention wh0res." Would you come down on him the same way?
    11-08-12 02:12 PM
84 1234