Hello everyone. I have a question that might sound like a sarcastic one at first but let me explain. Why would anyone pay for Teather or TeatherBerry??
    I ask this because my buddy was asking me if I had heard about the apps and if I would buy them. I told him that I tether my BB Storm 9530 almost every day to my laptop for free. I set up my 9530 via Desktop Manager to tether and it works perfectly, and it's VERY fast!
    So my question again, again with no sarcastic tone meant at all...Why would anyone pay $50 for TeatherBerry or whatever that app is called. They clearly are VERY popular judging by how many people have downloaded it.

I would really appreciate any responses to help me understand.

Thanks,

JiggaBones.
    10-29-10 03:09 PM
    Because it allows folks without an "official" tethering plan, be able to use tethering at no extra charge to them. Your plan, likely includes the tethering option with Bell so it's easy for you to set it up and use.

Some carriers and their plans are not so generous and wish to charge crazy amounts just to include tethering on your "unlimited" data plan. So, they charge you the base plan, and then tethering charges ontop of that when the connection is already existing on your service account anyways. They just want you to pay more for something you're already paying for.
    10-29-10 03:23 PM
    Tethering is outside the contract terms and conditions for many carriers...In thse cases DM typically will not connect.

For those companies which support tethering at an increased cost, the charges are required to be paid by contract law, regardless of whether you use the carriers official tethering option or the tether app... so using the tether app without paying for the feature to the carrier allows users to deliberately breach their contract and steal services to which they are not entitled.
    10-29-10 03:33 PM
    OH!!!
    Thank you SOOOO much for making me understand that!
    so I guess up here in Canada we actually aren't getting screwed on our cell phones for a change. Bell doesn't charge me at all for tethering and I even had to call them to get some info on how to set up my 9530 to tether, so they know I'm tethering.
    I think that's pretty ****%y that some companies would charge just to tether.
    10-29-10 03:54 PM
    Some plans allow it. Rogers use to and now my current plan doesn't anymore.
    10-29-10 04:53 PM
    Like mine, I have Verizon if I try and connect using DM ill get a vzwdump page. Or pay like $15/month for it, I got tetherberry half off for DOD, I can tether forever instead of a month and a half

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 10:18 PM
    My Bell 6GB/month inc. tethering seems like a pretty good deal then
    11-01-10 01:33 AM
    Yeah that's pretty sweet deal

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD