If BlackBerry is venturing to other OSes, why not Windows Phones as well?

Microsoft does not charge any licensing fee like Android. I am sure there would be a demand for a physical keyboard windows phone.

Posted via CB10
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    09-29-15 09:53 PM
    Said it before, say it again:

Off the Titanic, onto the Hindenburg...

Posted via CB10
    SunshineStateFlyer and pgg101 like this.
    09-29-15 09:59 PM
    Said it before, say it again:
    They do not have to go full Windows. They could still keep BlackBerry 10 and Android, in addition to Windows.

It is just keeping all the doors open.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:03 PM
    They do not have to go full Windows. They could still keep BlackBerry 10 and Android, in addition to Windows.

It is just keeping all the doors open.

Posted via CB10
    So they'll have not one but two terminally ill platforms to maintain!
    09-29-15 10:04 PM

...It is just keeping all the doors open.

Posted via CB10
    On a submarine maybe...

Posted via CB10
    TGR1, KR2013, stanhanks and 3 others like this.
    09-29-15 10:09 PM
    If BlackBerry is venturing to other OSes, why not Windows Phones as well?

Microsoft does not charge any licensing fee like Android. I am sure there would be a demand for a physical keyboard windows phone.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody makes money on Windows phone
    Huawei’s head of international media affairs, Joe Kelly, has revealed the company didn’t make money from its two handsets running Windows Phone, and that "nobody made any money in Windows Phone."
    09-29-15 10:17 PM
    Windows phone devices are having enough trouble selling, blackberry trying to make money on that hardware front doesn't seem very smart, if you could sell the hardware blank and allow anyone to install whatever os they wanted, I could imagine it could be feasible, allow it to be a blackberry free from all os, or any one os. If you buy a device because u like it then run what you want on it, but then blackberry would have very little to say about security, I for one would like a BlackBerry device dual booting bb10 and ubuntu touch lol but that is just me

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:30 PM
    Right now Windows Phone (Read: Microsoft and their Lumia line) is mostly gaining the bigger part of it's not so good traction, from selling budget devices. BlackBerry isn't in the budget device business, especially on a platform that also has trouble with apps and such

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:33 PM
    Sad part is Microsoft dumped millions and millions on so much advertising in the last 3 years and still nothing on the phone line. Though there was a report not too long ago that their tablets have gained slow but continuous traction in the last couple of quarters.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:45 PM
    Sad part is Microsoft dumped millions and millions on so much advertising in the last 3 years and still nothing on the phone line. Though there was a report not too long ago that their tablets have gained slow but continuous traction in the last couple of quarters.

Posted via CB10
    The Surface line is getting traction and will be an eventual success after fits and starts (disaster Surface RT). MS has lots of money to figure things out tho.
    thinkinfinity, sonicpix and JeepBB like this.
    09-29-15 10:50 PM
    Windows Phone is pretty good on apps these days and it will get better with 10. The reason their market share stopped growing is because there hasn't been a flagship with upgraded specs since the 1520 and ICON in 2013.

Come these new new flagships, along with growing app support, and Windows 10 and they will be back at 4% within a year. I honestly expect to see sales skyrocket with 10.

Posted via CB10
    thinkinfinity and JeepBB like this.
    09-30-15 12:17 AM
    Not too keen on Windows seeing as 10 has crippled my Surface

But thats just my bitterness

but Blackberry making Windows phones would be an insanely bad idea for Blackberry

Microsoft is Blackberry's biggest competitor right now
    09-30-15 12:44 AM

Microsoft is Blackberry's biggest competitor right now
    Yep they are retreating to the same exact customer base. The enterprise.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/290...microsoft.html

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Ment and darkehawke like this.
    09-30-15 12:55 AM
    Yep they are retreating to the same exact customer base. The enterprise.

Office 365's hidden agenda: Dump your MDM provider for Microsoft | InfoWorld

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Excellent info. Chen did mention in one of his post ER interviews that he sees the day soon when basic MDM will be free and you'll only be able to charge for value added services thus BB's acquisitions since he came on board.
    southlander likes this.
    09-30-15 01:21 AM
    After the recent keynote, I am more convinced on Windows 10 Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 03:44 PM
    I don't think anyone makes Windows Phones except Microsoft. IMO, the app situation on WP is worse than BlackBerry since there's no option to sideload apps. The apps they do have are generally worse than their iOS or Android counterparts. The developers that do develop 3rd party apps don't add features or update them like they do for other platforms (ex: Instagram, bank apps, etc).

I had a Lumia 928 and even Microsoft's apps are better on my Note 4 than the Nokia. Other than the camera, the BB10 phones I own (Z10, Q10, and Passport) are vastly superior to my old Lumia 928.

While I would have preferred BB10 to be viable and have a vibrant ecosystem, I'm excited to try out the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 04:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Goes to show marketing isn't the almighty panacea that some think it is.
    10-09-15 04:15 PM
    I don't think anyone makes Windows Phones except Microsoft. IMO, the app situation on WP is worse than BlackBerry since there's no option to sideload apps. The apps they do have are generally worse than their iOS or Android counterparts. The developers that do develop 3rd party apps don't add features or update them like they do for other platforms (ex: Instagram, bank apps, etc).

I had a Lumia 928 and even Microsoft's apps are better on my Note 4 than the Nokia. Other than the camera, the BB10 phones I own (Z10, Q10, and Passport) are vastly superior to my old Lumia 928.

While I would have preferred BB10 to be viable and have a vibrant ecosystem, I'm excited to try out the Priv.

I actually believe MSFT resisting the urge to do a runtime had benefited WP over BB10. The sideloading business hurts BB10 more than helps IMHO.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-09-15 04:19 PM
    Panacea, no, however it would have had better traction than Microsoft since it is the better OS.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 10-10-15 at 03:40 PM.
    10-09-15 04:27 PM
    Nope its not. However just sitting there and not doing anything in term of controlling PR when so many are questioning your very existence is not a good idea either.

Also publicly hanging a for sale sign up probably not th best idea either.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 11:00 AM
    If BlackBerry goes full android within the next two years, I'll be moving on to Windows. But a keyboard would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 11:31 AM
    The problem is that Windows 10 is as great a privacy and security risk as Android. You just have to decide if you want Google or Microsoft to be your corporate master.

If I didn't care about such things I would probably get a Surface Pro 3 and a Nokia Lumina.

...but I do which is why I am here.
    10-11-15 07:31 AM
    If anybody's familiar with the economic term 'stuck in the middle', that would be it.

Especially a company like BlackBerry with limited resources has to concentrate on a core capability. If you try to achieve too much at once in different fields, your overall performance is going to drop significantly.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 08:05 AM