I think BBMo/TCL heard users like you regarding productivity, however I think your specific life position allows you some luxuries that BBMo/TCL has to adjust for with general productivity seekers. Like you, I carry multiple devices on the road. My road inventory was for last 12 years was notebook and two mobile devices. One device always BlackBerry and the other Windows (initial four years) and then Android (subsequent eight years). Five years ago, I split duties from notebook to laptop and tablet. With keyboard, and BB10 limitations, I needed larger screen for certain apps or tasks beyond email, texting and calls.

Larger device PRIV and KEYone allowed me using Android to keep my laptop and tablet in my technology bag in my truck more. As my youngest two kids hit middle school, I realized that my technology habit was becoming more expensive. My older kids rely on phone and laptop. My younger kids were the same way but wanted to have more.

Then I realized, budgetary constraints keep the average person using smartphone and if lucky, secondary device, such as notebook. People that want productivity with a PKB are using KEYone or Key2 because of the budgetary limitations. Even the size of devices are intentional. The 5.5” VKB seems to be the larger upper end of normal size. OEMs push 6” with lesser success. The 4.5” VKB seems to be the smaller lower end of normal size.

Reading all the BBOS love from you and others, I activated third line with a 9860 and 9900. The 9900 was far more productive as PKB compared to 9860 for sending e-mails and texts as VKB. The crux is that I couldn’t use it for anything else at some varying level considered productivity.

Eventually, I think if the PKB niche grows enough around the Key series, then smaller PKB devices might exist but I doubt ever below Classic/Q10 size. The economies of any scale for smaller device size were because of technology limitations preventing use of larger screens.
    Hmm... Interesting insight. Clearly BB has been in pursuit of some different demographic target since 9900. Your insight might partially explain their thinking? My grandkids are doing a surprising amount of homework on their handsets. A concept too alien to my slide rule & #2 pencil education, I suppose. Lol.

Yet, their teachers inevitably use iPhones and that's what the grandkids use. If you can believe that! Lol. Apple's been very smart about that. My kids were indoctrinated to Mac in public school kindergarten! They carry a sweet spot in their hearts for all things Apple to this day. Yes, those are MY kids & grandkids! Go figure... Lol.

Even from my alien planet perspective, I just don't see much market case for a PKB Tablet. ?? I just don't view tablets with patched in cellular capabilities as optimal communication devices. My grandkids certainly aren't clamoring for a KeyOne to do their homework on... G'Pa's K1 looks even more preposterously oversized in those tiny hands. Lol.

I don't pretend to grasp consumer marketing and have assumed RIM/BBRY/BBMo understood their target better than I, each step of their misguided way. If it had worked out for them, I'd be singing their praises while quietly accepting my fate to find SOME path to leverage consumer oriented products into professional space. My frustration is that abandoning professional space in pursuit of consumer unicorns has left BB itself marginalized in BOTH spaces. An epic lose-lose fail. Imo. AND we've lost human history's most exquisitely proficient personal global communications tool as a result! The 9900, of course. Lol. I don't mind losing if at least SOMEone wins. I despise losing to losers. Lol.

Peterbilt targets a different market than Prius. Different technology for different missions. I know drivers who own Prius' at home. Pros are consumers too! Lol. Yes, they COULD drive their tractor to the grocery store. Not very optimal.

Professionals, tho, MUST be willing to pay the price of admission. No seed, no crop. Lol. Professionals, like myself, who's global business thrives on 24/7 real time communications, value real time availability of a handset sized to fit a human hand! It doesn't get any more available than "in-hand". HANDsets sized to fit a hand are most likely to be "in-hand". Imo.

Again, playing with an SE and a XZ1 these past few days, i remain convinced that VKB works best on larger screens. That "tiny slabs", so far, don't provide optimal typing experience compatible with "in-hand" real time communications. Imo. Anymore than I believe Giant PKB provides optimal typing experience compatible with "in-hand" real time communications.

Despite crippling software handicaps of its long neglected OS, sanely sized PKB 9900 is still unchallenged king of compact communications, imo. A niche BB once knew how to dominate... Back before it was a niche. Lol. Still might? Should they choose to "remember". Imo.

Past choices inform future expectations, tho. 9900 is scheduled for involuntary euthanasia by lobotomy, 2020... Choices must be made... Once again, 7 years into 9900, I'm still waiting for BB to submit an easy choice. Lol.
    06-12-18 07:50 AM
    2020 is looking pretty ominous.
    06-14-18 04:05 PM
    I do sorely miss the way my Bold 9900 and Q10 cradled so well in my palm especially for one-hand keyboard access. My KEYone comes so close to bringing back this great feel, but it is still a bit "top heavy" although not as bad as my PRIV. The curved lower chin corners really help lend itself to this feel (hence I probably will skip the KEY2). Oh, if we could only shore up a couple millimeters of wasted space on the Android nav buttons at the bottom of the screen and eventually get "stacking" of the screen and front cam, earphone, notification light, and prox sensor under the screen...

Maybe (dare I say) a notch with the wasted space on either side of the earpiece containing the top status bar? (I could even see the status bar becoming an eInk display on either side of the earpiece--eInk display performance would be up to the task and help with power consumption). Then, maybe we have a device that feels as good in the hand as the Bold and Q10 AND proper screen real estate?
    06-20-18 12:43 PM
    A Q10 with a slightly taller 3:2 screen and narrow bezels would be perfect. Keyboard felt nice and large on that device. Scrap the capacitive navigation buttons.
    06-26-18 12:04 AM
    The issue everyone who wants these tiny devices hasn't answered is where are you going to get the panels for them?

Yes you can find smaller LCD screens but none in a resolution that would make a marketable mobile device in 2018. Modern mobile devices are not just a PDA, they offer many LOB applications and other features that allow people to consolidate multiple pieces of hardware into one device. I don't miss having to pack a portable CD player, my BlackBerry 957, a digital camera, my flip phone, and my laptop just to take a two or three day trip. The 'most consumers are content with "good enough"' argument completely discounts the acknowledgement of making a sacrifice in some areas for the portability of the device. The larger display is part of that tradeoff because a longer vertical screen allows for more content to be displayed without scrolling, just as the 3:2 resolution has become popular with two-in-ones such as the Surface since it allows for a degree of flexibility in the use of the device.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-18 06:16 AM
    Trackpad is the great equalizer. It makes scrolling a breeze. Regardless of screen size. PKB zoom shortcuts make zoom single thumb easy... On this optimally configured 9900, that is. If forced to "swipe scroll" on giant slab displays, I would also despise scrolling enough to consider rediculously tall lunacy. Trackpad makes ALL the difference. Especially on a truly compact HANDset. I carry other "modern" devices ONLY because of software/security handicaps imposed by aging SOFTWARE. NOthing about the hardware form on this 9900 sends me to my giants. If those software handicaps could be mitigated, thru a living OS, I'd be back to solo carrying this sanely sized 9900 in a heart beat. And feel well equipped.

BTW, even the 7 year old 9900 is a little more capable than your old 957. Lol. ... No need to cart around a CD player, etc... Lol. Q10's hdmi port was nice... How large of display does adding that port demand?? Lol.
    06-28-18 09:04 AM
56 123