so ..BB is positioned a lot better than Apple is ,look at how Ontario produces some of the top cars,for example,the new ford GT,oh baby,many Canadian companies supply parts for major Mfg's..Magna intl.. I guess Prem has other things to think about ,BUT!! the Canadian Government pays for R&D in tax credits,so why not??
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topst...apl/ar-BBhLPsy
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ford...-car-1.2956454
    Last edited by jojo beaconsfield; 02-23-15 at 04:02 PM.
    02-23-15 03:32 PM
    02-23-15 03:58 PM
    Not sure exactly what you are saying. BlackBerry (QNX) is already involved in the car, before Apple. It's the back end and android and ios are front ends.

If you are saying to build cars before apple does, that's insane.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 04:12 PM
    It's not insane, it's perfect ,because Google and Apple are heading in that direction so it makes sense that BB,QNX,should do the same and the gov would actually pay for the R&D,via tax credits,because their competitors are heading down that road,haha lots of jobs would be created and BB could take advantage of their proximity to the plants that produce Cars,lol
    02-23-15 04:24 PM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 04:25 PM
    I mean there are tons of skilled people around and easily accessable
    02-23-15 04:28 PM
    Yes, but are you talking about manufacturing cars? If so, I maintain what I said and this is crazy talk.

You're aware that a bunch of those car makers were on the brink of bankruptcy a few years ago?
    You're aware they do really dirty anti-competitive stuff?
    You're aware how difficult it is to sell without dealerships?
    etc, etc, etc.

I can go on and on about getting in the car manufacturing business, BY A SOFTWARE COMPANY and I still wouldn't know half of the issues they'd face. there is high margin in software service and sales. There is less profit and more risk in high dollar hardware. It takes huge pockets to provide credit, etc. Anyways, there is almost no thinking in reality on this wish from you.

Now if you meant to get their (QNX) software into all the cars, then yea, you're stating the obvious. Just comment in the other threads discussing QNX and cars.
    02-23-15 10:20 PM
    A nice partnership with Tesla would be better. Tesla have had security concerns since it was revealed that hackers can actually take control of certain functions in the car.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243 O2 UK
    pogly2 likes this.
    02-24-15 12:01 AM
    Haha this is interesting but easier said than done also don't think it will happen

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 01:08 AM
    oh well ,there is an electric car being mfg'd in St.Jerome ,quebec and they export quite a few to Eur
    ope,nothing fancy
    http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/21/f...-electric-car/
    BB could do a lot better
    02-24-15 06:39 PM
    BlackBerry needs to focus on QNX software and spread it everywhere they can. In some cases it already is being used as a kernel for Apple car OS and Android car OS.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 06:45 PM
    They absolutely don't need to go bankrupt for a useless project like this.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 06:46 PM
    They absolutely don't need to go bankrupt for a useless project like this.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah you're right but the CDN Gov gives them tax credits for R&D,I know they aren't in the actual car biz but because their competitors are going in that direction why not have the gov foot the bill.
    02-24-15 06:54 PM
    Yeah you're right but the CDN Gov gives them tax credits for R&D,I know they aren't in the actual car biz but because their competitors are going in that direction why not have the gov foot the bill.
    I'm not exactly sure they are competitors.

Z30 STA100-5 running 10.3.1.2267
    02-24-15 08:05 PM
    Partner with magna international. They can build a car with the stuff they throw out alone.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    02-24-15 09:12 PM
    It takes billions of dollars to design a car from scratch. Tax credits wouldn't even come close to covering the cost of R&D, and such a project would eat through Blackberry's cash pile before they could even get to the working prototype stage.
    02-25-15 08:45 AM