Instead of bothering with OS7, then QNX and the Andoid player, why didn't RIM just use Android as its OS, and then place the Blackberry infrastructure on top of that? Would that have been technically feasible? If it were feasible, I can think of many reasons why it makes sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-11 07:07 AM
    Because RIM is all about security and android is not very secure, at least not yet.

And do we really 1,000 different phones with android on them? I think I'll hide from the borg collective but it's futile.
    07-15-11 07:22 AM
    Why not Droid OS?

- Because its buggy?
    - Because you have to root/crack it to make it work better?
    - Because its battery life stinks?
    - Because its not secure?
    - Because of viruses and malware?
    eBud and sg8330 like this.
    07-15-11 07:39 AM
    Leo J...

Why not Droid OS?

- Because its buggy?
    - Because you have to root/crack it to make it work better?
    - Because its battery life stinks?
    - Because its not secure?
    - Because of viruses and malware?

You accept all of these "attributes" (as do others) of the Droid OS yet you say it's better because it does these things, while being "faster"? Odd situation because I sure wouldn't buy a BlackBerry if they were reputed to have these "qualities", no matter how fast they were.
    mjs416 likes this.
    07-15-11 09:17 AM
    Instead of bothering with OS7, then QNX and the Andoid player, why didn't RIM just use Android as its OS, and then place the Blackberry infrastructure on top of that? Would that have been technically feasible? If it were feasible, I can think of many reasons why it makes sense.

Seriously, an android versus the Blackberry OS? The Blackberry OS is far more stable and secure than the Android OS. Especially, QNX, which I should add, is well-proven by it's use in the most demanding environments such as nuclear power plants, military tanks, fighter jets, corporate inventory, etc.

I have associates in IT and they know RIM will become a major powerhouse again once the QNX-powered phones are released.

The QNX OS is the future.

07-15-11 10:32 AM

I see that you do not own a PlayBook with QNX. If you had you would
    see the potential of this OS and would not of asked this question.

Try it you'll like it!

Tim
    07-15-11 10:37 AM
    I see that you do not own a PlayBook with QNX. If you had you would
    see the potential of this OS and would not of asked this question.

Try it you'll like it!

Tim
    I had it for the first two weeks it came out, but had to return it because I needed the money. How much have the updates improved it since then? (Assuming they have)
    07-15-11 10:41 AM
    It's improved quite a bit. BlackBerry Bridge is quite nice, things load quickly, very little lag. It keeps getting better with each new build.
    07-15-11 11:26 AM
    I think Android is more fluid of an OS than anything RIM has currently (for me). The OS is fantastic, the cloud compatibility is excellent and the apps and multi-media functionality don't hurt.

Do I think RIM should, for all intents and purposes, dump it's own OS and start making hardware for Android? NO!

I think QNX, if implemented properly, will be fantastic. I am not a fan of consolidated OSes either. Competition is good.

For selfish reasons, I don't want BBOS to go away.
    07-15-11 12:47 PM
    This may be the stupidest suggestion I've read all day...

07-15-11 01:24 PM
    because taking android and optimizing it to the same level where bbos is currently will take much more time than improving on the previous versions with zero added benefits.
    Last edited by sg8330; 07-15-11 at 02:09 PM.
    07-15-11 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD