12-11-11 10:16 PM
39 12
tools
    Thanks to all of the people who read and responded to the original post. Everyone who responding by saying why they didn't need or want any tablet is off topic. This is not about why you don't think any tablet is good for you, or why you think the note/netbook is better than a tablet. This is about why BB users who do want a tablet want and buy the iPad more than RIM's offering. That's the topic. If you don't like the topic, let it fade into obscurity. Thanks.
    12-10-11 09:00 AM
    Isn't the PB still missing features like Hulu+ and Netflix?

Add that to the no native email or BBM, no auto correction, weaker app selection, launch price, and the "coming soon" gimmick, and I think a lot of BB owners decided to give the number 1 selling tablet, thats been all over the news and in advertisements, a try.

Also, the iPad being pushed by more stores/retailers who are out to make a profit and sell what is currently "hot" as opposed to trying to convince people to buy something else.

I think the average, non CB member Blackberry owner is simply going by word of mouth, TV and print ads, and Apps selection. And maybe a few games to play when they want to just have some fun with their new toy.

Also, in my experience, the Apple displays look better than the RIM device setups. And are usually working/powered on.

War Is All We Know
    12-10-11 10:30 AM
    I shared some of the same concerns as you guys, and at 499 it wasn't something I could justify buying. At 199, though, and compared to a Kindle Fire, I was a lot more excited. It's not quite as polished as the iPad, but it is a great product in its own right.
    12-10-11 05:58 PM
    I think it was mostly price and media review and advertising was scarce.

The BB owners that were interested in buying a tablet saw the $500 entry fee, did a little bit of research, saw the device was not 'finished' and app selection was much less than the iPad, and decided the iPad has more value as they're priced almost the same.

12-10-11 07:23 PM
    I just have no use for a tablet. Whether its a Playbook, iPad, Xoom, or whatever.

I dont see a purpose for one and paying that much money for ANOTHER device to carry that does the same things my phone and laptop can do seems pointless.

I have my Bold 9930 and Laptop and Im good to go.
    I travel a lot and I find that something the size of the Playbook is much easier to take out in a lounge at the airport. I travel with my Lenovo laptop and sometimes a Mi-Fi as well as personal router along with my 9900 and my HTC Sensation 4G. I also had a regular Kindle but found that I can get all my books on the Playbook plus check email and browse the web too.
    12-10-11 07:44 PM
    My reason? I work for a competitor (not phones, just tablets) and have one of our Android tablets.

However, I did look at the PBs and thought they felt very sturdy. The problems were: too expensive, no native email and NONE of the display units I saw at every store I went to worked. And none of the reps could tell me why.
    12-11-11 01:43 PM
    Well i bought bb to have a good phone , RIM is good in communications , but Tablets ..
    i would rather take a XOOM or Galaxy tab or iPad , they have better apps and more responsive Browser , While Playbook isn't really that great , however becasue of the insane discounts and OS2 comes in now i might think buying one =p , Now it is soo Affordable !
    12-11-11 01:46 PM
    Apps.
    That's why.
    12-11-11 04:38 PM
    How about because it got miserable reviews, is still waiting for the software release that should have been on it when it was released, has a fraction of the applications that the iPAD does, that people don't buy something because they are 'brand loyal', they buy the best product for the application they have.....and the PB has been an unmitigated failure buy any measurable means other than RIM fan club members.....blown out at Best Buy, heavily discounted elsewhere, millions of dollars of unsold inventory written off by RIM themselves.....they really cannot give them away, except at $199. So how could you ask such a ridiculous question. It bombed, like most all of RIM's new offerings....of course not in India and Thailand as people love to point out.

AppleInsider | 40% of BlackBerry, Windows & Android smartphone owners prefer Apple's iPad

Ran across this article this morning. It seems that BB users who want a tablet prefer the iPad by more than half. This defies the notion of platform loyalty. I believe RIM mistakenly assumed that BB users would automatically flock to the PB, thus carving out a nice slice of the market. If true, it was a misguided notion. RIM needs to do a better job of convincing its own customers to buy the PB. Why are more RIM customers buying other pads over the PB?

Thoughts?
    12-11-11 04:51 PM
    My reason? I work for a competitor (not phones, just tablets) and have one of our Android tablets.

However, I did look at the PBs and thought they felt very sturdy. The problems were: too expensive, no native email and NONE of the display units I saw at every store I went to worked. And none of the reps could tell me why.
    That is because RIM didn't bother to educate or the store or the reps didn't bother to educate themselves. It is so easy to use once you take 30 seconds to see it a 3 year old could figure it out.
    12-11-11 08:00 PM
    I think RIM does a flat out **** poor job of marketing itself. Honestly it makes me want to kick Balsillie and Lazaridis in the ***. Makes me wonder what those two idiots do all day for all the money they get paid.
    12-11-11 08:45 PM
    Well you're right but no reason to market the PB again until 2.0.They have taken enough of a beating on it.
    12-11-11 08:57 PM
    Unfortunately, with everything riding on the success of the new OS, RIM needs as much market penetration as possible with Playbook.

To answer the question posed in the OP: I think at $500 even the most ardent BB fanboy can see a lack of value. At $200 or even $300 for a 16gb model however, the device is a steal. RIM would do well to trim the price point permanently in order to gain market share.
    12-11-11 10:11 PM
    True but until 2.0 is out and what it should be what is advertising things it can not yet do going to do to them? What do they advertise? Coming soon.........bit not on it yet.

Don't get me wrong I love my playbook but I'm a forgiving kind of person.
    12-11-11 10:16 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD