AppleInsider | 40% of BlackBerry, Windows & Android smartphone owners prefer Apple's iPad

Ran across this article this morning. It seems that BB users who want a tablet prefer the iPad by more than half. This defies the notion of platform loyalty. I believe RIM mistakenly assumed that BB users would automatically flock to the PB, thus carving out a nice slice of the market. If true, it was a misguided notion. RIM needs to do a better job of convincing its own customers to buy the PB. Why are more RIM customers buying other pads over the PB?

Thoughts?
    12-09-11 09:07 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Things may change with the highly anticipated Playbook OS 2.0 release in February .. The Playbook will be much more compelling then ...
    12-09-11 09:16 AM
    In my opinion, as far as tablets go, the Ipad is just an overall better product. I personally have an HP touchpad. Not much of a tablet fan since I have no real use for one, but I was able to take advantage of the Fire Sale when HP briefly priced their tablets at $99. At that price, it was worth picking up just for **** of it.
    12-09-11 09:17 AM
    I didn't by a PlayBook but then I didn't buy an iPad and I won't buy a Kindle Fire for the simple reason that they don't meet my needs. I think that it is easier to browse the web and access secure sites on a device with a keyboard like the 9900, or a pc.
    12-09-11 09:22 AM
    I never really understood the concept of brand loyalty anyway. I buy something because it works for me, and if the company I currently give my business to can't do that, I go to someone else. They're supposed to suit our needs, not the other way around.
    12-09-11 09:26 AM
    I'm just not interested in a tablet of any kind really it would be nice to have one but I don't have a need for one but If I did I'd probably get the pb because of the bridge that or a cheaper andriod tablet because again, I don't have a need for one.
    12-09-11 09:28 AM
    Seems bb users are somewhat tighter with their money but I also think many see no need for a tablet. Whatever it is just a matter of choice. Some people like being all tucked in to one system and others love them all. Agree get what works for you and the bb pb combo just works for me and may not for someone else.

There are plenty that have (insert phone that isn't a bb) and a pb also.
    12-09-11 09:33 AM
    What about 2.0 will make the PB more attractive to BB users? Email wasn't an issue.
    12-09-11 09:33 AM
    The PB is a great product, but it was priced too high. Sorry, but RIM is not the marketing and "brand loyalty" machine that Apple is. Love it or hate it, Apple can price it where they want, even if the hardware is the same or even sub-par compared to their competitors.

To me, tablets are toys... but I'm not going to buy a $500 iPad for my kid... just not happening. A touchpad at $99, however, it less than a Nintendo DSi, and when you can dual-boot with Android, the free apps are a very compelling reason to justify it's purchase.

The playbook on the other hand I finally picked up at the $189 pricepoint... had it come out at $350 on day one, I probably would have purchased it then too... as there was excitement around the product for BB fans.

Another reason it's not as compelling is the fact that every smartphone today (except the blackberries, until the latest OS leaks), are also a hotspot. The bridge is great, and the ability to tether is great... but what's the point when you have wifi in your pocket?

Anyway, I still think the PB is a viable tablet. I think Android overall is a mess (sure it works, but it's just a pain to get around). The best interface out there is QNX in my opinion, but BB has to become "cool" again in the eyes of the consumer.
    12-09-11 09:39 AM
    I'm just not interested in a tablet of any kind really it would be nice to have one but I don't have a need for one but If I did I'd probably get the pb because of the bridge that or a cheaper andriod tablet because again, I don't have a need for one.
    So, you don't need a tablet, but I'd you did need a tablet you'd probably get a PlayBook or Android because you don't need a tablet?
    12-09-11 09:40 AM
    What about 2.0 will make the PB more attractive to BB users? Email wasn't an issue.
    For those that want to use it for entertainment, the android player is a nice feature... got to face it, there's a lot more "stuff" in the android world to play with. Other than that, just performance enhancements and smoother interface are the bennies of 2.x.
    12-09-11 09:41 AM
    bb user prefer ipad cause the app ecosystem is much more bigger than the one of the PB
    12-09-11 09:49 AM
    For those that want to use it for entertainment, the android player is a nice feature... got to face it, there's a lot more "stuff" in the android world to play with. Other than that, just performance enhancements and smoother interface are the bennies of 2.x.
    The problem here is that the PlayBook's performance and interface smoothness were on par with other devices at the time of release, and to me still are. It's funny how it was allegedly superior to other tablets at launch, but now that people are looking for a reason to believe 2.0 will save the product there are suddenly all sorts of problems to fix.

As for entertainment, don't jump the gun on Android content on the PlayBook; it's not as simple as porting apps. At the same time, I doubt the 91.5% of BB users uninterested in the PlayBook feel that way because of a dearth of entertainment options. . .it's not as though BB OS has ever benefitted from a wealth of content.
    12-09-11 09:58 AM
    We have both in our house. The PB I use for work and carry everyday now (eagerly awaiting the 2.0 update, though) and the Pad stays at the house for the family to use. Tha family is more familiar with the 'iproducts' but I do love my PB. Its smaller form and just all around super nice design make it an excellent choice for me. Bridged to my BB and I have a mobile office that is indispensable on the road.
    12-09-11 10:04 AM
    From the tone on here it is having the same typing features the phones have. Dont to Don't without having to to type ', period after a double space, universal spell check and word suggestion for replacement etc. Better control of favorites in the browser. Optimization of things. And of course many have to have skype and angry birds. Not saying it will have skype or angry birds but it will have the other functions.
    12-09-11 10:10 AM
    I refuse to own anything Apple but the reason I haven't gotten a PB is I already own a NookColor. So why buy another 7" tablet? I may in the future tho, one never knows. I still haven't decided on my own xmas gift so maybe...
    12-09-11 10:10 AM
    Apple has always had a strong presence in the education world, and the iPad has a large number of educational apps. Parents are attracted to this when considering buying a tablet for their children. The use of tablets in education is a potentially huge frontier, and Apple has a headstart in it, just as BlackBerry has, or used to have, in business. This could be enough, in many cases, to make BB-owning parents buy iPads

It wouldn't be a bad idea for RIM to start building bridges to educational software developers.
    Berrywannabe likes this.
    12-09-11 10:11 AM
    I just have no use for a tablet. Whether its a Playbook, iPad, Xoom, or whatever.

I dont see a purpose for one and paying that much money for ANOTHER device to carry that does the same things my phone and laptop can do seems pointless.

I have my Bold 9930 and Laptop and Im good to go.
    12-09-11 10:14 AM
    I never really understood the concept of brand loyalty anyway. I buy something because it works for me, and if the company I currently give my business to can't do that, I go to someone else. They're supposed to suit our needs, not the other way around.
    Thank you. Folks practically wear brand tattoos.

I take whatever meets my needs the best.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    12-09-11 10:21 AM
    As a returning student and majoring in engineering, I can't justify channeling any resources to a tablet until one is capable of behaving like a pencil and paper.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-09-11 11:03 AM
    I have a netbook I take with me. I don't just have the "mobile" web, I have a full browser. Flash or no flash isn't a problem. It runs MS Office 2007 and darn near everything else. It cost $300 two years ago and it's still running strong. Why would I want a tablet?

This is why my next phone must have the capability of a wifi hotspot. Which RIM still doesn't put on the 9930... but I digress.
    12-09-11 10:48 PM
    I'm not getting into the conversation, but I will give my thoughts on the subject. Anyways, here's a few reasons why I think BB owners don't give a hoot about the Playbook
    1.) RIM's market plan was a death sentence for a $499.99 tablet, without compailing business apps/functions. How so? Well BB was targeted for business use, and to attract cheap/low markets (enexpensive models).
    Obviously businesses saw the Playbook more of a luxury item, rather then a tool they could use to replace obsolete items. Then there's the consumer side. Who didn't jump to the tablet, because they were looking for something cheap, and a tablet with a price this high... just wasn't in their shopping radar.

2.) With alot of experience in the field, I would say BB has fallen behind in features and what not, and for the same price, why not just get the IPad?! Though I'm not saying the IPad is better for everyone, but it does offer a better variety.

3.) They just couldn't follow up with schedule, and let alot of it's fans down... not much more I can say, but I'm sure you guys already know this.

EDIT NOTES: 4.) I forgot to mention, it could of sold better. If it had better advertaisment (also if more people knew how to use it), and didn't come a year behind the first tablet... and after the IPad 2.
    Last edited by Venichie; 12-10-11 at 01:41 AM.
    12-10-11 01:35 AM
    I bought a laptop instead. Tablet seems less useful. The bridge is a neat idea, but I tether using my BlackBerry for free anyway to the Dell.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-10-11 at 02:02 AM.
    12-10-11 01:58 AM
    I bought a laptop instead. Tablet seems less useful. The bridge is a neat idea, but I tether using my BlackBerry for free anyway to the Dell.
    I agree, no tablet is a replacement for a laptop, I already carry my BB and a HP Mini Beats with me everywhere and battery lasts over 10 hours of hard use.

The reality is I don't need a tablet, playbook or something else and if I buy one my kids will probably take over and I would never get to use it
    12-10-11 02:15 AM
    I actually replaced my laptop with an iPad 2. There are times when I miss my laptop, don't get my wrong, but with a bluetooth keyboard its pretty close.

Joe
    12-10-11 07:02 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD