No. I would much rather see more diffierentiated products, not less. Lets give BB10 a chance before any aquisition talk.

Also, There is no reason RIM can't do a strong pc/tablet/phone intergration. Yes, Apple makes computers, but they also make software and plug ins for windows that allow that seamless intergration too. No reason RIM can't do the same.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 02-07-12 at 02:27 PM.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-07-12 02:20 PM
    Also, the smartphone market is still young. Majority of phones in the market are still feature phones. there's plenty of room for RIM, Google, Apple, Microsoft and maybe even HP to co-exist, just like there's so many different brand of car makers. It's alway nice to have choices.
    I would really love if HP and RIM just merged webos and BB10, where are already a lot of simalarities, they could call it webOX. Plus they could then do stuf like bundel blackberry phones with HP laptops.
    02-07-12 02:25 PM
    I would really love if HP and RIM just merged webos and BB10, where are already a lot of simalarities, they could call it webOX. Plus they could then do stuf like bundel blackberry phones with HP laptops.
    Oh, where to begin? For one thing, HP is out of the webOS business, and nobody else wants to be in it. QNX is considerably more secure than webOS' Linux kernal.

The PlayBook is much better hardware than the TouchPad was. No gain there.

And laptops are dead. Seriously. In two years we'll wonder why we ever even bothered with such clunky, heavy, power-hoggy things.

HP has absolutely nothing of value for RIM.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-07-12 02:37 PM
    Why people need to quit thinking RIM needs to be bought by ms, apple, google or anyone else.

Because it ain't happening. Do people really only want 2 choices when it comes to phones and tablets? I don't when the choices are both something I wouldn't choose if I had a choice.
    Except what you say here has nothing to to with wanting/not wanting "2 choices." Instead, it's about whether the choice you favor would be available or not.
    02-07-12 02:57 PM
    Oh, where to begin? For one thing, HP is out of the webOS business, and nobody else wants to be in it. QNX is considerably more secure than webOS' Linux kernal.

The PlayBook is much better hardware than the TouchPad was. No gain there.

And laptops are dead. Seriously. In two years we'll wonder why we ever even bothered with such clunky, heavy, power-hoggy things.

HP has absolutely nothing of value for RIM.
    Really? I never knew my 11" macbook air was such a clunky, heavy, power hog..... But your right, who would want a fully featured and powered computer with keyboard when we could just carry arround tablets with limited OS,s, that would be like carring around a fully featured smartphone with keyboard instead of a slab with limited options.
    02-07-12 03:05 PM
    I do not see any need for Microsoft to buy RIM. Once Windows 8 is available, the ecosystem (desktop, tablet, smartphone) will be there. Plus with Kinect in the picture, and Office 15, Microsoft will have what it needs.
    02-07-12 03:15 PM
    Really? I never knew my 11" macbook air was such a clunky, heavy, power hog..... But your right, who would want a fully featured and powered computer with keyboard when we could just carry arround tablets with limited OS,s, that would be like carring around a fully featured smartphone with keyboard instead of a slab with limited options.
    You know, the 11" segment is probably going to disappear first (and I understand that Apple is preparing a 15" Macbook Air--telling). If you had a decent keyboard for an iPad, what you still need your 11" Air for, exactly?

Remember, Jobs himself declared this the "Post-PC" era. After living with a decent tablet for the past several months, I'm beginning to believe him.

I do not see any need for Microsoft to buy RIM. Once Windows 8 is available, the ecosystem (desktop, tablet, smartphone) will be there. Plus with Kinect in the picture, and Office 15, Microsoft will have what it needs.
    You've got it backwards: it's RIM that doesn't need Microsoft.

Win8 tablets? MS has been trying to do Windows on tablets for almost a decade. Nobody aside from a few vertical VARs are even remotely interested.

Win8 tablet will need to be bigger, heavier and more expensive than either the iPad or the PlayBook. True, in certain Enterprise applications it will fill a niche, but I'm having trouble seeing it do spectacularly well. Better than the PlayBook? Yes, a good chance, I guess, if only due to MS' marketing clout.

Kinect for PC is promising. Maybe. I love it on my Xbox, and it's definitely kind of amazing in its way as a gaming controller, but I'm going to need some convincing on what the desktop applications are.

Windows 8 is looking to be such a clean break from Win7 that I genuinely wonder how many users are going to feel compelled to upgrade. If users don't move to either a tablet or a Kinect PC, Metro is going to suck. After spending years in user support, I can confidently say many users won't even want to try.
    02-07-12 04:12 PM
    blech, I have used windows phone 7 and I hope blackberry never gets anywhere close to that....
    02-07-12 04:13 PM
    Microsoft really did not have an actual tablet OS. Their previous iterations were actually desktop versions forced on tablets. As the Android tablets become more fragmented, and as Microsoft finally releases a real tablet OS, I believe they will be a huge player in the market.
    02-07-12 04:18 PM
    You know, the 11" segment is probably going to disappear first (and I understand that Apple is preparing a 15" Macbook Air--telling). If you had a decent keyboard for an iPad, what you still need your 11" Air for, exactly?

Remember, Jobs himself declared this the "Post-PC" era. After living with a decent tablet for the past several months, I'm beginning to believe him.

I have both a playbook and iPad, but my macbook air is my go to device and is maybe only half inch longer than my iPad. if i could only have one, it would be the air. Why? hmmm, lets see. more storage, more versatility, more ports, more programs, more compatibility with different files, more os options, bigger screen, better text input, touchpad, easier to organize and access files, better a productivity apps, its faster, games are larger with better sounds and graphics, web pages load faster and format properly..... need i go on? Plus, i believe the 11" air has been the best selling mac ever since the refresh. So I don't think its going away soon, what your seeing is its influence spreading to the larger MacBooks.
    02-07-12 04:28 PM
    Microsoft really did not have an actual tablet OS. Their previous iterations were actually desktop versions forced on tablets. As the Android tablets become more fragmented, and as Microsoft finally releases a real tablet OS, I believe they will be a huge player in the market.
    The problem with Microsoft is that success in a market (outside of their very profitable Windows, Office and (on a good day) XBox divisions) is always something that's coming, yet never actually arrives. Windows Mobile, the Zune, and now WP7 were all supposed to be huge players, yet each fizzled out.
    02-07-12 04:33 PM
    The problem with Microsoft is that success in a market (outside of their very profitable Windows, Office and (on a good day) XBox divisions) is always something that's coming, yet never actually arrives. Windows Mobile, the Zune, and now WP7 were all supposed to be huge players, yet each fizzled out.
    I believe a big part of this is that Microsoft has to be in a constant state of evolving and holding onto its PC dominance. There for within Microsoft, the best and brightest are kept on the PC division. Such divisions as Microsoft mobile, Xbox etc will never see the best and brightest work outside of Microsoft's primary market. IMHO
    02-07-12 05:14 PM
    Look at where Microsoft is going with Windows 8. A unified system across devices. It will do well, how well is anyone's guess. There is lots of money and developers behind. Microsofts model has always been licensing software. Personally the look of Win8 makes me vomit in my mouth but then again I like the way a console looks.

Besides, RIM won't sell, if it was an option it would have already happened. If BB10 doesn't do well the stock may be so low that Mitt Romney and Bain Capital take it over and sell it for parts.
    02-07-12 05:17 PM
    Microsoft becoming a huge player on the tablet market lyes solely on where their market price will be....I don't personally view many Windows tabs coming in under 500$. Also, Microsoft will be competing against its own desktop and laptop market. There are currently many known variables as well as unknown variables to guage where Microsoft will be in the market in the future.
    02-07-12 05:24 PM
    RIM will be moving into the multi billion dollar growth market of embedded devices that QNX serves through their existing clientele with BB10....QNX has autonomy in many markets currently and RIM aligning with strategic partnerships with QNX clientele allows RIM to chart their own destiny.

Take this for example. You've seen the demo's of "BB remote" controlling a PB....Nice concept isn't it.....Now see this in the same way RIM hypothetically speaking is looking at BB 10 incorporating this technology: You walk into your local HMO. You are hooked up to a heart monitor. A nurse takes your reading, and as you glance at the heart monitor which just so happens to be operating on a version of BB10. Just an example, however QNX is currently certified to do just that You won't ever see Android, iOS or Windows reading your heart rate.RIM has a current broad level of autonomy that they can utilize BB10 technology. With this opens up a very broad new market for RIM, serving QNX'S existing clientele base.

Mike L was utilizing his visionary capacity when RIM acquired QNX.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-07-12 at 06:06 PM.
    02-07-12 05:29 PM
    Why all this talk about takeovers? RIM has already said they aren't breaking up and selling the company. So assuming that's true any takeover would have to be a hostile one which is subject to approval from Canadian federal government when the company taking over is foreign to Canada. Ask BHP Billiton how their 40 billion takeover bid for Potash Corp of Sask worked out last year. Federal government rejected it. I suspect they would do the same in a situation with RIM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-07-12 05:40 PM
    Why all this talk about takeovers? RIM has already said they aren't breaking up and selling the company. So assuming that's true any takeover would have to be a hostile one which is subject to approval from Canadian federal government when the company taking over is foreign to Canada. Ask BHP Billiton how their 40 billion takeover bid for Potash Corp of Sask worked out last year. Federal government rejected it. I suspect they would do the same in a situation with RIM.
    Harper already mentioned that he, "would like to see RIM succeed and grow as a Canadian company ". The Feds view RIM as critical technology. This Was Harpers way of saying diplomatically, not a chance in #)@! will they become taken over by a foreign company.lol
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-07-12 at 05:54 PM.
    02-07-12 05:50 PM
    Microsoft has a lot more money to spend while waiting to get a product to be profitable. It took years for the Xbox to generate profit, but Microsoft kept it going and realized its goal.

Windows Phone and Windows tablets probably will get as much investment as the Xbox did, if not more.

RIM does not have the cash Microsoft has to throw at BB10 if it is not a hit immediately.
    02-07-12 06:55 PM
    Microsoft becoming a huge player on the tablet market lyes solely on where their market price will be....I don't personally view many Windows tabs coming in under 500$. Also, Microsoft will be competing against its own desktop and laptop market. There are currently many known variables as well as unknown variables to guage where Microsoft will be in the market in the future.
    Microsoft really did not think about tablets in the way consumers and other vendors thought about tablets. Older Windows tablets were more of PCs with a touchscreen, not portable devices that ran apps.

The netbook is pretty much dead now, and the new Windows tablets (that will be actual tablets, not "tablet PCs") will fit well in the market that had been dominated by netbooks a few years ago.
    02-07-12 06:58 PM
    Harper already mentioned that he, "would like to see RIM succeed and grow as a Canadian company ". The Feds view RIM as critical technology. This Was Harpers way of saying diplomatically, not a chance in #)@! will they become taken over by a foreign company.lol
    If that is the case, RIM needs to succeed, or else it will go the way of Nortel.
    02-07-12 06:59 PM
    Microsoft really did not think about tablets in the way consumers and other vendors thought about tablets. Older Windows tablets were more of PCs with a touchscreen, not portable devices that ran apps.

The netbook is pretty much dead now, and the new Windows tablets (that will be actual tablets, not "tablet PCs") will fit well in the market that had been dominated by netbooks a few years ago.
    It's hard to guage where they will be....I'm pretty sure it will be a slice of the pie.
    02-07-12 07:01 PM
    If that is the case, RIM needs to succeed, or else it will go the way of Nortel.
    That's true...However RIM should remain profitable for quite awhile yet
    02-07-12 07:07 PM
    Rim needs to be for sale 1st.
    Not necessarily. If a big player wanted to buy it, they could. It's called a hostile takeover. More expensive, but gets the job done.

MS could do it. Whether or not they'd want to is debatable. They technically own Nokia now, without having to pay anything.
    02-07-12 08:00 PM
    God! RIM does NOT need to be sold. PERIOD.
    02-07-12 09:55 PM
    Microsoft has not tried. They intentionally left out business oriented features to focus on the consumer market. Your post makes no sense because you make too many ignorant assumptions.
    The only reason I say this is that Microsoft has not been able to get into the corporate marketplace with its Windows phone. If they buy RIM they get instant access to the corporate phone market. But the longer they wait, the smaller that BlackBerry Corporate market gets. That is why they need to do it now.

The ecosystem for the corporate market is phone, computer, and tablet integration. That is why we are seeing the exodus to iOS. They already have this corporate ecosystem. RIM is missing the Computer parter, Microsoft needs quick access to the phone and tablet part.

(also, I'm not saying 'RIM needs to sell itself to Microsoft'. I'm saying 'Microsoft needs to buy RIM').

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    02-07-12 10:35 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD