I personally would love to see RIM make it on their own. However, I just don�t see them having the money to create the ecosystem needed for the future. I�m writing this because of the Halliburton news and other news about the exodus to iOS.

I can see the allure of iOS, and it has nothing to do with how cool it is, or some fad/trend. It is the fact that iOS devices are made to work together. You have the phone, tablet and computer, all linked together (hopefully in a seamless way), and this spells efficiency, and efficiency spells more production at a lower per unit cost (even if the initial investment is high).

It also bothers me that Heins is waiting for the first security breach. For one, this may not happen. Second, Apple has a couple years (that is how long it will take for a company to make the complete transition) and a hundred billion dollars to create a state of the art security system for there iOS devices. And I think companies believe they will be able to do it.

So why does Microsoft NEED to buy RIM. The answer is to retain their corporate strong hold. The media focuses on how RIM is losing to Apple, but every time a corporation moves to iOS, they are also moving away from Windows. RIM has the smartphone, tablets, and QNX (for cars etc), Microsoft has the OS, software, and cash. If Microsoft waits too long, they will start seeing Windows erode faster than the perceived blackberry erosion.

My worry for RIM is that android will take over the consumer market from RIM and Apple will take over the corporate market from RIM. Companies overseas will follow suit, and we�ll have two heavyweights in the future (Apple and Google).
    02-07-12 11:00 AM
    I don't see how you can say that when we don't even know what BB10 specifically has to offer right now.

Plus MS wouldn't buy RIM. They already have their own ecosystem. It would just be the death of RIM.
    02-07-12 11:03 AM
    I don't see that happening or working to be honest.

I think RIM can do it on its own, but they need to be effective with the next launch.
    02-07-12 11:12 AM
    When did Rim come up for sell? Did I miss something?
    BryGuy86, bigbmc26 and sleepngbear like this.
    02-07-12 11:17 AM
    The only reason I say this is that Microsoft has not been able to get into the corporate marketplace with its Windows phone. If they buy RIM they get instant access to the corporate phone market. But the longer they wait, the smaller that BlackBerry Corporate market gets. That is why they need to do it now.

The ecosystem for the corporate market is phone, computer, and tablet integration. That is why we are seeing the exodus to iOS. They already have this corporate ecosystem. RIM is missing the Computer parter, Microsoft needs quick access to the phone and tablet part.

(also, I'm not saying 'RIM needs to sell itself to Microsoft'. I'm saying 'Microsoft needs to buy RIM').
    Last edited by nesstheraven; 02-07-12 at 11:24 AM.
    02-07-12 11:21 AM
    Why does a corporation moving to iOS smartphones mean leaving Windows?? It has nothing to do with leaving Windows. In fact MICROSOFT Exchange integration is one reason why companies choose iOS.

The security breeches happen all the time. DoD has deemed iOS basically un-securable, Thorsten is not wrong in this. There only needs to be a report of a MAJOR breech, that will cause the issue. It will happen, and sooner rather than later.
    02-07-12 11:23 AM
    Why people need to quit thinking RIM needs to be bought by ms, apple, google or anyone else.

Because it ain't happening. Do people really only want 2 choices when it comes to phones and tablets? I don't when the choices are both something I wouldn't choose if I had a choice.
    02-07-12 11:24 AM
    Never gonna' happen naysayers...just wishfull thinking by haters.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    02-07-12 11:30 AM
    The only reason I say this is that Microsoft has not been able to get into the corporate marketplace with its Windows phone. If they buy RIM they get instant access to the corporate phone market. But the longer they wait, the smaller that BlackBerry Corporate market gets. That is why they need to do it now.

The ecosystem for the corporate market is phone, computer, and tablet integration. That is why we are seeing the exodus to iOS. They already have this corporate ecosystem. RIM is missing the Computer parter, Microsoft needs quick access to the phone and tablet part.

(also, I'm not saying 'RIM needs to sell itself to Microsoft'. I'm saying 'Microsoft needs to buy RIM').
    Rim needs to be for sale 1st.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    02-07-12 11:31 AM
    Another BS RIM acquisition post....First off RIM will not allow a sale...Secondly RIM is focusing QNX's BB platform around consumers, enterprise and QNX's existing customer base such as Auto industry OEM's , Medical indusrty , Aerospace etc....QNX has autonomy in all markets...Last the Canadian government views RIM as "critical technology". We need to put a rest to all these foolish acquisition talks.

RIM is building BB10 to work with its QNX clientele, aside from the already enterprise/consumer base BlackBerry already serves. If anyone is unaware of what I am implying. First learn what RIM is forging ahead with before you add a who needs to acquire RIM.

To end this , no article or forum post argument supporting a sale of RIM has ever mentioned what synergy's the other company would have with RIM. The key to a prudent acquisition is founded on the synergy each company shares. Until anyone has a valid synergistic point to make, all matters related to this topic are utterly foolish!
    sleepngbear likes this.
    02-07-12 11:34 AM
    Why people need to quit thinking RIM needs to be bought by ms, apple, google or anyone else.

Because it ain't happening. Do people really only want 2 choices when it comes to phones and tablets? I don't when the choices are both something I wouldn't choose if I had a choice.
    I would rather not see RIM get bought (and it probably won�t happen). And I love choice. But the fact of the matter is, we seem to be moving to a duopoly market for smartphones.

Plus, apple has the nice phone, tablet, computer ecosystem. It is scary, and I despise Apple as much as the rest of you. But it does make sense for Microsoft to get into that phone, tablet, computer ecosystem (which they seem to be trying to do), and I don�t think RIM has the resources and time to create that type of ecosystem without an incredibly strong partner.

If your company needs phones, tablets, and computers, and you see seamless integration as an efficiency, then Apple seems to be a strong candidate for your company. Especially if you�re looking at a major upgrade for your old PC�s and Blackberries. Choice one (get new PC�s and Blackberries) Choice two (move to iOS stuff). It seems that we are starting to see companies chose iOS stuff more and more.

All that said, I am a RIM supporter, and I'm talking more from the perspective of what Microsoft needs, not what RIM needs.
    02-07-12 11:38 AM

I agree. Canada has weighed in, and market forces will not be a factor in determining the highest valued use of RIM's assets. What we need to understand is that it DOESN'T MATTER if a sale of RIM would be in the best interests of the shareholders or not... it isn't going to happen.

The synergies are obvious and countless, and such an acquisition could mean the survival of Blackberry as a brand in some form. But the option is off the table.
    02-07-12 11:46 AM
    i think i speak for alot of people here in saying im pretty tired of reading all these doom and gloom sayers, theorists and time killers expounding the near death of rim and the bb. why doesnt everyone relax, enjoy their bb's and not look for the rim apocolypse to occur on a day to day basis?

enjoy the great devices we have and lets wait and see what the future holds

peace to all

alexandros
    alnamvet68 and cntrydncr223 like this.
    02-07-12 11:47 AM
    I would rather not see RIM get bought (and it probably won�t happen). And I love choice. But the fact of the matter is, we seem to be moving to a duopoly market for smartphones.

Plus, apple has the nice phone, tablet, computer ecosystem. It is scary, and I despise Apple as much as the rest of you. But it does make sense for Microsoft to get into that phone, tablet, computer ecosystem (which they seem to be trying to do), and I don�t think RIM has the resources and time to create that type of ecosystem without an incredibly strong partner.

If your company needs phones, tablets, and computers, and you see seamless integration as an efficiency, then Apple seems to be a strong candidate for your company. Especially if you�re looking at a major upgrade for your old PC�s and Blackberries. Choice one (get new PC�s and Blackberries) Choice two (move to iOS stuff). It seems that we are starting to see companies chose iOS stuff more and more.

All that said, I am a RIM supporter, and I'm talking more from the perspective of what Microsoft needs, not what RIM needs.
    I'll agree that seemless integration is one of the few things I do like about apple. Seems the rest are getting there too.
    02-07-12 11:54 AM
    just one word when i read the opening post.

seriously?

on a serious note: microsoft doesn't need to buy anyone, they can do it by themselves. and last i checked, "last quater earnings dated december 15, Revenue of $5.2 billion, up 24% from last quarter" it may not be as much as Apple's earnings, but that is still a significant amount. Unless OP knows how much RIM needs to make the transition, its all just opinions. Everyone has the right to their own opinion though. So here's mine, SERIOUSLY?
    02-07-12 11:59 AM
    i think i speak for alot of people here in saying im pretty tired of reading all these doom and gloom sayers, theorists and time killers expounding the near death of rim and the bb. why doesnt everyone relax, enjoy their bb's and not look for the rim apocolypse to occur on a day to day basis?

peace to all

alexandros
    Agree.

The title said MS "needs" to buy RIM, but the post basically elaborated on why they should merge under MS and how RIM might be swallowed up by the power of Apple and Google.

(Of course, OP has an samsung phone and BB PB)
    02-07-12 12:01 PM
    Also, the smartphone market is still young. Majority of phones in the market are still feature phones. there's plenty of room for RIM, Google, Apple, Microsoft and maybe even HP to co-exist, just like there's so many different brand of car makers. It's alway nice to have choices.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-07-12 12:02 PM
    i disagree that MS should "buy RIM"....sounds like a crazy idea when MS has Windows Mobile....sure iOS has an efficiently integrated system but that doesn't mean the entire world will jump to iOS leaving all other systems out in the cold...long live RIM
    02-07-12 12:09 PM
    I personally would love to see RIM make it on their own. However, I just don�t see them having the money to create the ecosystem needed for the future. I�m writing this because of the Halliburton news and other news about the exodus to iOS.

I can see the allure of iOS, and it has nothing to do with how cool it is, or some fad/trend. It is the fact that iOS devices are made to work together. You have the phone, tablet and computer, all linked together (hopefully in a seamless way), and this spells efficiency, and efficiency spells more production at a lower per unit cost (even if the initial investment is high).

It also bothers me that Heins is waiting for the first security breach. For one, this may not happen. Second, Apple has a couple years (that is how long it will take for a company to make the complete transition) and a hundred billion dollars to create a state of the art security system for there iOS devices. And I think companies believe they will be able to do it.

So why does Microsoft NEED to buy RIM. The answer is to retain their corporate strong hold. The media focuses on how RIM is losing to Apple, but every time a corporation moves to iOS, they are also moving away from Windows. RIM has the smartphone, tablets, and QNX (for cars etc), Microsoft has the OS, software, and cash. If Microsoft waits too long, they will start seeing Windows erode faster than the perceived blackberry erosion.

My worry for RIM is that android will take over the consumer market from RIM and Apple will take over the corporate market from RIM. Companies overseas will follow suit, and we�ll have two heavyweights in the future (Apple and Google).
    Hi there!

And why not RIM pairing with Linux?Like Ubuntu or Mint? to name a few based on Debian kernels?I heard a lot say this year is Open Source year,so why not take this into consideration?It could be a long road,but...i know QNX and Linux had been in comparison and have similarities,the addition of Qt dev now (supported in Ubuntu and in RIM OS),Ubuntu being installed on computers now,BBerry 10 (QNX/Webworks/Adobe AIR) on RIM devices and taking the road of convergence years later on one OS...what do you think?is it just b***s**t i'm talking or?
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    02-07-12 12:26 PM

peace to all

alexandros
    The haters cannot relax....they have realized that their game playing tablets no longer support what they thought was a symbol of having arrived, and in that realization, (which they will never acknowledge), they have decided to spread their anger and disappointment with their overpriced toys by attempting to marginalize the Playbook, RIM, Blackberry, which in most cases, they don't even own; but wished they did.
    02-07-12 12:31 PM
    Microsoft buying RIM isn't going to happen and that's just a ridiculous idea my friend!!
    02-07-12 12:35 PM
    Also, the smartphone market is still young. Majority of phones in the market are still feature phones. there's plenty of room for RIM, Google, Apple, Microsoft and maybe even HP to co-exist, just like there's so many different brand of car makers. It's alway nice to have choices.
    I hope that is the case, but I don�t think the smartphone race is akin to the car market. It is easy to transition to a new brand of car. But when you have invest a few hundred dollars into apps and software, you have your several hundred dollar stereo optimized for ipod/iphone (i.e. you have the built in idock, full remote control of your idevice), your car stereo has the idock, you have a mac computer, etc, it makes it hard to move to blackberry, windows phone, or android. Cars don�t have this ecosystem.

I�m not bashing RIM, I�m just pointing out how hard it is getting for people to switch devices once they are invested into the ecosystem.

I hope RIM can make it. And I know they are still doing well in regards to pure numbers (even though it might be more appropriate to benchmark a company to its performance in relation to their competition, not necessarily the pure numbers).

Maybe the market can have many strong competitors, or maybe the market gets more focused when people start investing into the periphery offerings (like apps and synergies between their other devices).

Regardless, no one know for sure what the future holds, but I would not be surprised if Microsoft sees these Halliburton type deals as a potential threat to their corporate strong holds, and thus moving more aggressively into creating that phone, tablet, computer synergy, which would make RIM a prime acquisition candidate.
    02-07-12 12:37 PM
    5 words for this thread:

Keep Calm and Be Bold!
    02-07-12 12:49 PM
    I hope that is the case, but I don’t think the smartphone race is akin to the car market. It is easy to transition to a new brand of car. But when you have invest a few hundred dollars into apps and software, you have your several hundred dollar stereo optimized for ipod/iphone (i.e. you have the built in idock, full remote control of your idevice), your car stereo has the idock, you have a mac computer, etc, it makes it hard to move to blackberry, windows phone, or android. Cars don’t have this ecosystem.

I’m not bashing RIM, I’m just pointing out how hard it is getting for people to switch devices once they are invested into the ecosystem.

I hope RIM can make it. And I know they are still doing well in regards to pure numbers (even though it might be more appropriate to benchmark a company to its performance in relation to their competition, not necessarily the pure numbers).

Maybe the market can have many strong competitors, or maybe the market gets more focused when people start investing into the periphery offerings (like apps and synergies between their other devices).

Regardless, no one know for sure what the future holds, but I would not be surprised if Microsoft sees these Halliburton type deals as a potential threat to their corporate strong holds, and thus moving more aggressively into creating that phone, tablet, computer synergy, which would make RIM a prime acquisition candidate.
    Respectfully disagree.

Case(s) in point.
    We bought beta (tapes), then VHS, then CD's, now bluray discs.
    We bought vinyl’s, cassettes, CD's.
    We bought black and white, tubes, large screens, flat screens.

We are a consumer base that upgrades.
    We like our toys, and we don't mind spending money on quality.

Even within the phone world, how many phones has one had? And how many cases, car chargers, extra batteries, and accessories did we purchase with each one? I personally, have two boxes. One for cords and car chargers, and one for cases and misc. that I'll probably never use again. (I donate the old phones to “cell phones for soldiers”, but I wouldn't have gone backwards on a dare anyway.)

Yes, the apps, phone docks, and the new accessories cost more. But the cost graduated in each of the examples I posted.

The point is, changing phones ~ which costs, what? Even at full cost around $600, with apps and accessories around what? $200-$300??

OK, realistically, most of us use the upgrade rather than pay full price, if at all possible, unless we can’t wait. (But those of us who can’t wait and are willing to pay full price don’t really factor into this argument, do they?) I know I got my 9810 for $49 and ATT paid shipping AND activation fees, sent me a car charger, AND THEN credited me a full month of service for my troubles at the storefront. So they paid me $50 – plus free car charger, to take this phone, which I used for apps and the like. So the upgrade was, what, basically the cost of accessories and apps, maybe shipping, maybe activation fees and whatever data plan upgrade??

How can that be compared to the purchase of a car, which goes for $2500 for a lemon and 15 - 18K for a new car? Ok, most of us would pick something in the middle. Let's say, for argument's sake, 10 G's for a new (to me) car.

And let's say we keep said car for 7 years (my husband only keeps them for 3 because he's an outside salesman). So that's like $1500 per year on a car.

IMO, if a consumer wants better toys (perhaps I should say "more suitable for their needs", instead of "better" so as not to inflame the flamers) it's not a hard transition to make.

I do, however, agree with this point…

Regardless, no one know for sure what the future holds
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 02-07-12 at 01:17 PM.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    02-07-12 01:03 PM
    I hope that is the case, but I don�t think the smartphone race is akin to the car market. It is easy to transition to a new brand of car. But when you have invest a few hundred dollars into apps and software, you have your several hundred dollar stereo optimized for ipod/iphone (i.e. you have the built in idock, full remote control of your idevice), your car stereo has the idock, you have a mac computer, etc, it makes it hard to move to blackberry, windows phone, or android. Cars don�t have this ecosystem.

I�m not bashing RIM, I�m just pointing out how hard it is getting for people to switch devices once they are invested into the ecosystem.

I have to be honest, when i first saw your post, i just felt that it was just another why XXX should buy RIM thread. I apologise for that and my previous, "seriously" post. It was premature and judgmental of me. Your rationale behind your post makes a great deal of sense to me and i can see where you're coming from now. but for microsoft to be able to consider buying RIM, RIM has to be in a state where they can't make it on their own anymore and forced to be sold. i still feel its a little too early to be considering such options. I think we all have to wait till BB10 hits the market and the public's reaction to it first before making predictions.

though i have no doubt apple currently has the best integrated solution currently. haha. i know. i used to work in an apple authorised retailer. I am a mac user who owned and owns plenty of apple's products. i have loads of purchased app on app store accumulated over a few years (since iphone 3G first launched). The adoption of their peripherals are just insane, hotels with ipod/iphone docks in every room... etc. But that didn't stop me from switching to BlackBerry.

But i still believe that the market is still going to be available for various platforms to vie for. There are still huge percentage of people still on feature phones, which means a huge percentage of people are not tied in to an ecosystem yet. Even existing phone owners may not be tied in to an ecosystem that extensively yet. Many people i know still wishes not to be tied down to an ecosystem, so if they want to switch they can still do so with little monetary loss. RIM still has the potential in my opinion to obtain a decent portion of that pie and tie people in to their own ecosystem. That said, i'm not saying that RIM will definitely make it in the future. But i'm saying that if they can progress fast enough, press all the right buttons with BB10, and create a rich ecosystem, there is still much hope. RIMPIRE will strike back! (sorry, can't help adding this in.) ;p
    Thunderbuck and cntrydncr223 like this.
    02-07-12 01:21 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD