I don't understand one thing, Im a loyal BB user since BB tour/bold9930 and now Q10.

Why do I have to wait for my carrier to update my phone? is it a really big problem for a big company like Blackberry via Blackberry link?? I still don't get that. Why do we have to write posts... or check forums on CB to find "leaks', beta. and other craps. You own Blackberry phone, You connect Your phone to Blackberry link...new updates are released so is my phone updated right? as BB user I shouldn't waste my time asking Sprint representative when or even If will I get an update. Since US carries lost interest in updates but they are officially released, all phones should be updated automatically via Link. Why Do I have to ask people if ATT or Verizon got it already?

What a Joke!

Blackberry is focusing on enterprise? They cant even update they're own phones using own software. another Joke
    05-05-15 12:08 AM
    If you've been a user as long as you say you have then really, you should already be familiar with the whys of it all. BlackBerry sends out updates, carriers approve them and if not, then users are left waiting. End of story really.
    05-05-15 12:20 AM
    Being loyal has nothing to do with this. You wait till your carrier release a new update.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    05-05-15 12:30 AM
    Simple go unlocked they even talked about this in the Berry Flow pod cast. Stop waiting on stupid carries they don't like blackberry and will do anything for BlackBerry to fail carries in the US in talking about. Buy your phone from shopblackberry.com it's better.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:44 AM
    Your carrier was sent the update from BlackBerry months ago.

It's your carrier's move now. You'd have to ask your carrier how long they plan to sit on it.

Via CB Android on BB10 (jst 4 kiks)
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    05-05-15 12:38 PM
    My point is, As Blackberry users We shouldn't be waste own time for searching , posting, or asking or even downloading 'leak' versions. We shouldn't be also thinking about buying unlocked phones via shop blackberry just to get latest update. Blackberry provide its software to mange and update devices. it shouldn't absolutely be my problem that my carrier didn't roll out new update yet. Its just not me, all users on ATT/ Verizon etc.. have the same problem, I love Blackberry devices but the way they support customers is just horrible. Im a BB lover for years but honest to truth people abandoned BB in past for the same reason, no updates. Ask a avid Iphone user If he or she is looking for 'leak versions' on web.
    05-05-15 12:45 PM
    My point is, As Blackberry users We shouldn't be waste own time for searching , posting, or asking or even downloading 'leak' versions. We shouldn't be also thinking about buying unlocked phones via shop blackberry just to get latest update. Blackberry provide its software to mange and update devices. it shouldn't absolutely be my problem that my carrier didn't roll out new update yet. Its just not me, all users on ATT/ Verizon etc.. have the same problem, I love Blackberry devices but the way they support customers is just horrible. Im a BB lover for years but honest to truth people abandoned BB in past for the same reason, no updates. Ask a avid Iphone user If he or she is looking for 'leak versions' on web.
    Samsung has to wait for carriers too - and they have a lot of loyal customers. Android Lollipop was released Nov 3rd, and last year's flagship S5 just started getting it a couple of weeks ago on AT&T!

Pretty much only Apple and Google Nexus devices get special treatment. You can now add direct-from-Blackberry devices to that list.

It all has to do with support and distribution agreements.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    Last edited by conite; 05-05-15 at 01:01 PM.
    05-05-15 12:49 PM
    Ask an avid Android user if they go the Lollipop update in a timely manner.

Last edited by rick0415; 05-05-15 at 02:59 PM.
    05-05-15 01:02 PM
    It's all in to make money, US carriers have to think how to make people keep updating phones and lingering on OS upgrades is a way to have "loyal" customers of their phones go another route. If you see how other parts of the world BlackBerry is a major phone and carriers are seeing an effect on purchases on their devices. iPhone carriers are commanded by Apple to allow updates or else they drop contract. Unlocked is a way to go for BlackBerry and you tell your carrier that you are who commands them what service you want not let them command you. Budget in and save money to buy it full price, in the long run, your pocket will thank you.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 01:04 PM
    The way US carriers "promote" BlackBerry devices, BlackBerry should just say F it and push the OS to us.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 01:39 PM
    The way US carriers "promote" BlackBerry devices, BlackBerry should just say F it and push the OS to us.

Posted via CB10
    I agree 100% and have said this before that Blackberry needs to push out updates directly to the end user like Apple does.

But, as someone else has stated it all boils down the agreements that when signed in the beginning between the carrier and Blackberry.

The worst part with all of this is the consumer is left with a bad taste in their mouth which doesn't help a brand that already has been all but forgotten here in the USA.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-05-15 01:54 PM
    I agree 100% and have said this before that Blackberry needs to push out updates directly to the end user like Apple does.

But, as someone else has stated it all boils down the agreements that when signed in the beginning between the carrier and Blackberry.

The worst part with all of this is the consumer is left with a bad taste in their mouth which doesn't help a brand that already has been all but forgotten here in the USA.
    Even though the US carriers don't promote BlackBerry, you can't underestimate the support channels. It would also leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths if they had to ship their phones back to BlackBerry every time they needed repairs. It's nice to drop it off at the carrier's office next door - even if they end up doing the same.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    05-05-15 02:01 PM

I guess my thought on that is (and I have no idea how these agreements read) are the carriers fulfilling their end of the deal? My experience in shops tells me they probably aren't.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 02:04 PM
    I don't understand one thing, Im a loyal BB user since BB tour/bold9930 and now Q10.

Why do I have to wait for my carrier to update my phone? is it a really big problem for a big company like Blackberry via Blackberry link?? I still don't get that. Why do we have to write posts... or check forums on CB to find "leaks', beta. and other craps. You own Blackberry phone, You connect Your phone to Blackberry link...new updates are released so is my phone updated right? as BB user I shouldn't waste my time asking Sprint representative when or even If will I get an update. Since US carries lost interest in updates but they are officially released, all phones should be updated automatically via Link. Why Do I have to ask people if ATT or Verizon got it already?

What a Joke!

Blackberry is focusing on enterprise? They cant even update they're own phones using own software. another Joke
    you're a loyal customer ?! Why didn't you say so! Someone get john Chen on the phone right now!
    MikeX74 likes this.
    05-05-15 04:19 PM
    It's very simple:

In the US, cell phone carriers are the primary cell phone retailers, and also the primary support infrastructure for nearly all phones (with the iPhone being a notable exception).

What does this mean? It means that if you buy a Lumia or a Galaxy or a One or a G3 or a BB10 phone, and if an update gets pushed out that "breaks" the phone in some way, or worse, bricks the phone entirely, who are you going to turn to for support? For nearly all of the cell phone customers in the US, that is their carrier, who sold them their phone, usually on contract. Do you think the manufacturer is going to replace those phones for the retailer? Nope, it doesn't work that way - the carriers are on the hook to support those devices, at their own expense.

So, US carriers, unlike carriers in many other countries where phones are mostly purchased outright and not connected with a carrier, do their own testing of each and every software update for every phone - EXCEPT the iPhone. This also gives the carrier the opportunity to add their own apps and other "bloatware" to the image, as well as special features such as T-Mobile's WiFi Calling, which is unique to their network.

So, why do iPhones get special treatment? It's because Apple had massive leverage with the carriers when the iPhone was introduced. Not only did they have a highly desirable, high-margin product, but, uniquely among manufacturers, they also had a network of retail stores with trained support staff who could fix or replace devices on-the-spot for customers. Samsung, LG, Nokia, HTC, BB - none of them had this, or much of any direct-retail support infrastructure, so they rely on carriers to provide it.

There are also a couple of other examples: Nexus phones which were purchased unlocked, and now BB phones which were also purchased unlocked - in both cases, if you need support, you must go directly to the manufacturer after the initial 30 day warranty period, and as I've mentioned, the manufacturers don't have much in the way of retail support infrastructure, so support can be "challenging".

Anyway, as long as your carrier has to provide you with support for your handset, you can expect them to keep tight control over the software updates that get sent out for it, and that means going through their own acceptance testing (and often discovering bugs that result in the update being rejected, and the manufacturer having to do more fixes and testing, etc., further delaying the process).

This isn't specific to BB, but it's long known to exist, and if you don't like it, then you need to find a work-around, such as purchasing a device that isn't affected (iPhone or Nexus) or buy one unlocked. If you buy it from the carrier, you are accepting the fact that you'll be at the carrier's mercy, and you have no one to blame for that but yourself.
    bakron1, MikeX74 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-05-15 05:47 PM
    Just want official 10.3 on my Z30, which is a great device. Could be greater. Verizon, come on....

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 09:24 PM
    well maybe Im not important for BB as individual user, but maybe 99% of previous BB users who ditched Blackberrys for Iphones (for the same reason - no updates) are. And with 0.4% market share in US, a single BB user is a gold
    05-12-15 10:50 PM
    Anyone who doesn't want to wait for carrier updates should ways buy unlocked phones. It's not the manufacturers fault and that's what so many people don't understand. Sure it's not that way with apple but that's because apple has so much money that carriers have to dance to their tune. Unfortunately so do the customers. Apple controls everything. My update was out the box with my passport because I bought it unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 11:17 PM
    I've bought unlocked Z30 from shopblackberry.com with original 10.2 bundle, connected to PC via blackberry link and updated automatically to 10.3. great!.
    05-21-15 11:01 AM
    well maybe Im not important for BB as individual user, but maybe 99% of previous BB users who ditched Blackberrys for Iphones (for the same reason - no updates) are. And with 0.4% market share in US, a single BB user is a gold
    You are really stretching here. The majority and masses moved to iPhones and Androids for other reasons that have nothing to do with updates as you are suggesting.

BlackBerry was unable to get their QNX based OS out fast enough and even now there is the ecosystem issue which goes hand in hand with being uncompetitive and not having BlackBerry 10 ready.

As already stated... either buy direct or, like most in the US, buy through your carrier and wait. I have no idea when Lollipop was released, but my friend just received the update a few weeks ago on his Galaxy with AT&T.

This is the way it is here with few exceptions. Most notably the iPhone as Apple was in a position to basically tell carriers to do what they want or they won't be selling the iPhone.

Android has more market share than Apple last I checked and, with the few exceptions noted, Android devices wait just as long for updates. At least here if you want the latest official OS you can get it.

Did my dad's Z10 to 10.3.1 a few weeks ago (Verizon) and he loves it. It's an official BlackBerry OS from Rogers. I don't install leaks, but I'm glad I have the option to update to the official OS myself in a few steps... run SACHESI, search for new OS, download and install.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-21-15 11:49 AM
    If you are as Loyal as me 10.3.1 is should already be on your PlayBook! It's on mine!
    05-21-15 01:55 PM
    Not sure, but it seems that only the unlocked BB devices purchased from ShopBlackberry get automatic updates straight from BlackBerry. None of the unlocked BB phones I have purchased so far (8) from other various sources get automatic updates without a corresponding sim. I wish ALL unlocked BB phones could get updates straight from BlackBerry!
    05-21-15 05:54 PM
    I don't get what the problem is for most of us. Since I got my phone I have received four updates from the carrier in addition to the leaks which I no longer bother with.

Four major updates plus all the little tweak ones which I don't count versus one a year for everybody else. If you're a tmo customer I can understand even sprint but anyone else with 10.3.1 from the carrier what's the issue?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 07:15 PM
    I bought unlocked Z30 from shopblackberry.com because I'm thinking about switching carriers> I've connected Z30 to PC and Z30 updated itself automatically via Blackberry Link to 10.3.1. So I think the only option is to buy unlocked phone.Not working with Z10 or Q10 though. passport/ classic and z30 only
    05-23-15 03:08 PM
    This is stupid on Blackberry end. Apple doesn't need to do this. How are they more privilege then Blackberry to be an exception.

If you've been a user as long as you say you have then really, you should already be familiar with the whys of it all. BlackBerry sends out updates, carriers approve them and if not, then users are left waiting. End of story really.
    Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 03:19 PM
30 12