Hmm, another rim device with wifi. I don't get the fascination with wifi on gsm devices, as the software always (imho) illegally cripples such apps as all the instant messenger clients, etc from working over it. What's the excitement for what is basically a crippled feature set? If you have the full service package from the cell provider, then there is no need for the wifi.

And even if you use the wifi in spotty service areas when you can't get the internet service you pay extra for, then you are still not able to use aim,msn,yim,googletalk,icq, etc over the wifi network portion without paying for some subpar 3rd party IM client (don't even get me started on having to pay for stuff that should be free in the first place. seems like everything costs on blackberry and alot of it just sucks anyway)

So what is the point of wifi on a blackberry exactly? You are being denied using the full range of the phones ability, as if a ETF isn't predatory enough from a cellphone provider. Are there hacks out there to disable the predatory behavior of cellphone providers/rim from blocking common apps used on wifi, or you just grin and bare it?

I'm not a iphone fanboy, can't really stand them or any of the other phones either. but some aspects of the blackberry universe seem troubling, and this is one of them.

Is the predatory blocking of apps over wifi going to change, or does that harm the cellphone providers that already overcharge and impose bandwith caps while advertising it as unlimited with a million asterisks tacked after the word unlimited?
    06-01-09 06:04 AM
    for me wifi is very important on a bb.
    - To surf the internet.
    - To use free bbm
    - Fast internet

you can use msn, aol, all those live comunication apps with wifi, you just have to turn of your mobile network and leave wifi on!
    06-01-09 01:23 PM
    Even though you have a data plan through you service provider doesn't mean that you always get the fastest coverage or coverage at all. For instance, at my job, I get data service with both VZW and AT&T so the internet is spotty all day. But since my company has a visitor's WiFi, I can get on to that and have faster browser and downloading than with VZW and AT&T 3G service. A couple months ago my wife and I went to a ski lodge. Not the best data coverage out there, but the lodge had WiFi. So I still get to do what I need to do fast and easy.

So for some people WiFi is needed, but for most it's nice to have. Obviously, we would like to do everything via WiFi that can be done with the data service, but what are you gonna do? I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    06-01-09 01:25 PM
    I went to play to a vacation golf place in South Dakota. It had zero cell phone reception. I was not able to recieve my e-mail for work for 3 days. The lodge I was at had wifi everywhere. Had I had a phone with Wifi capabilities I would have been able to receive my e-mails and pass some free time on the internet.
    06-01-09 01:38 PM
    Well first, for those without unlimited data plans, wifi is great. For corporate users who get poor reception indoors, etc it's great for downloading large files. As others have said, sometimes wifi is available when regular service is not.
    Having wifi is a good option to have. You might not always use it, but it's at least nice to be able to do so, should you so choose.
    06-01-09 01:44 PM
    Aim does work over wifi I believe verizon charges aim as texts so don't lump gsm with that. Wifi offers faster web browsing no network can keep up. A smartphone with no wifi in 2009 is junk.
    06-01-09 02:15 PM
    I usually keep the wifi on when I'm in my house or the office. I enjoy the extra speed. Nothing is crippled and it all works perfectly fine. I have a 6gb data limit (which I don't come close to hitting, but Rogers had a promo offer, so I jumped on).

In addition, my cottage has wifi but no cell reception. So it's nice to send receive email from the dock if need be.

This is my first wifi phone and I love it. wifi is a must for my next phone too!
    06-01-09 02:21 PM
    Wifi should pretty much be a standard feature in all smartphones no excuse and I don't want to hear that but "we have the network" garbage.
    06-01-09 02:54 PM
    My son has a ranch in the midwest with lousy data service, so wifi is a big deal when I visit him.
    06-01-09 02:57 PM
    I go to school, the coveage by tmobile isn't the best, I get complete dead zones so I log into the wifi and I'm online like right now posting this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 04:29 PM
    I use wifi when I don't want 3g on. 3g is just a battery killer.

06-01-09 04:43 PM
    If you have Wi-Fi and the BB Data plan the stuff that you say are disabled work just fine over Wi-Fi.
    06-01-09 08:09 PM
    Wifi should pretty much be a standard feature in all smartphones no excuse and I don't want to hear that but "we have the network" garbage.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!
    06-01-09 08:12 PM
    you gota have wifi..it should be the standard on all phones..i would never buy a phone without wifi for all the reason given above
    06-01-09 11:50 PM
    Been looking since Fall, watching the shows, but from what I've collected VZ turns off wifi, and Sprint doesn't get many phones. I cannot get ATT (roaming), & TMo is spotty at best. Next week's new releases must have something good - thought the Tour. Need a non-heat touch phone, qwerty with haptic due to cold hands. Want a great screen for stock viewing, need a great coverage plan for remote. My Sprint iden is useless in many spots, and I have no contract now. Any one able to recommend a new phone for June release? I really want that "computer in the hand" device that gets CNBC & Nav, which I think leaves me overpaying at VZ. Good advice welcome. You folks are much more advanced than I on this. Thanks for any assist.
    Last edited by TeachMeToBB; 06-02-09 at 12:44 AM. Reason: misspelling
    06-02-09 12:41 AM
    @TeachMeToBB

from what I've read so far (and correct me guys if I'm wrong) but:

1- Verizon does not seem to release WIFI enabled BB devices like you said
    2- The Tour will not have WIFI, the Atlas will. But will it come to Verizon?
    3- If accessing internet with WIFI is part of your definition of a "computer in the hand" then the Tour is not gonna be your best choice...

But hey, what do I know, I'm from Canada ;-) But I'm still leaning towards the "YES" for wifi smartphones because country areas where I live have spotty or slow data coverage.

I'm having a similar dilema too.

Going for a GSM provider to get the phone I want and live with the lack of coverage in my area or;
    Going for the mainstream CDMA provider, have the best coverage but need to wait for a phone that fits my need (read: that has WIFI)... Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Good luck!
    06-09-09 08:22 PM
    Wifi is awesome to have. Like all the reasons stated above its a good feature to have. I have to go to court a lot for work and get no reception in the lower floors of the court building (where most of my work is done) but the courts offer free wifi so as soon as I step foot downstairs wifi kicks right in. I can make calls surf the net and basically kill time when before I was stuck with nothing to do in my down time.
    06-10-09 11:01 AM
    For me, WiFi is required, even though I basically never am without a strong 3g signal... This is what Verizon fails to understand and why I cannot be a customer of theirs.

I need access to intranet web portal, internal mail, share drives, and remote desktops. Some of these resources may simply not be reachable from an external IP and I'm rarely at my desktop and lugging around a laptop... why? So I can get a phone from a provider that feels it important to dictate my needs as a means of assuring how great their network is?

WiFi is nearly ubiqutious in both personal and professional environments... its one thing to not have room for it, but to deliberately exclude it? Idiotic.
    06-10-09 02:56 PM
    Why wouldn't you have it ?

Hmm, another rim device with wifi. I don't get the fascination with wifi on gsm devices, as the software always (imho) illegally cripples such apps as all the instant messenger clients, etc from working over it. What's the excitement for what is basically a crippled feature set? If you have the full service package from the cell provider, then there is no need for the wifi.

And even if you use the wifi in spotty service areas when you can't get the internet service you pay extra for, then you are still not able to use aim,msn,yim,googletalk,icq, etc over the wifi network portion without paying for some subpar 3rd party IM client (don't even get me started on having to pay for stuff that should be free in the first place. seems like everything costs on blackberry and alot of it just sucks anyway)

So what is the point of wifi on a blackberry exactly? You are being denied using the full range of the phones ability, as if a ETF isn't predatory enough from a cellphone provider. Are there hacks out there to disable the predatory behavior of cellphone providers/rim from blocking common apps used on wifi, or you just grin and bare it?

I'm not a iphone fanboy, can't really stand them or any of the other phones either. but some aspects of the blackberry universe seem troubling, and this is one of them.

Is the predatory blocking of apps over wifi going to change, or does that harm the cellphone providers that already overcharge and impose bandwith caps while advertising it as unlimited with a million asterisks tacked after the word unlimited?
    06-11-09 02:48 PM
    WIFI is faster than 3g
    data overseas/hotels/resorts/airports
    primetime2go only downloads via WIFI
    airlines wired for WIFI during the actual flights
    data for hard to reach places like basements or deep within buildings, residential areas, bad signal areas
    WIFI allows for simultanious data/voice on CDMA networks (verizon/sprint)

Among the other reasons listed!

I thought I've repeated these extra perks of wifi so many times that it would just be common knowledge without having to see another thread about why wifi is so important if you have 3g!

If anything, take this post and spread it whenever a thread like this opens up. Everyone needs to and should know there are many many uses for WIFI in high end smart phones regardless of the carrier 3g
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 06-14-09 at 09:45 AM.
    06-14-09 09:43 AM
    How do you turn the Wifi on, I would like to attempt to hook my work laptop through it to see if it works. Most of the time the air card that I have does not work..
    06-14-09 11:14 AM
    How do you turn the Wifi on, I would like to attempt to hook my work laptop through it to see if it works. Most of the time the air card that I have does not work..
    The storm doesn't have wifi.
    06-14-09 11:47 AM
    The initial comment that started this thread makes absolutely no sense. I happen to work in a building that has wifi throughout the building and it is priceless! On my 8900 it is better than 3G, all my applications work and I can even receive BBM messsages while on the phone instead of just text messages. Clearly the originator of this thread has never had a BB with wifi or doesn't know how it works. A BB on wifi is like 3G on steroids!!!
    06-14-09 01:26 PM
    Why the love for Wifi? lots of reasons!

-BES and BIS traffic are directed over WiFi when you are connected. If you happen to be in a large building or somewhere with poor cellphone coverage, the data services remain fully functional on your phone. Also, I find you don't get affected as much by those "network outages" since your BIS data heads directly to Blackberry over the Internet, and BES data heads directly to your company's BES server - avoiding the internet completely. Plus, if you use UMA, it also means Phone and SMS will also work when cellphone reception is poor.

-It's Faster than any Carrier Network. Think about it: Phone -> Access Point / Router -> Internet. Plus, the data rates are much higher.

-You can save battery life. Since it's using Wifi for the majority of the data, it doesn't need to use the carrier radio to send it over the mobile network. Insted it just uses wifi, which is a lot lower power.

-You don't get any data charges. When connected to wifi, you're using your network for data - not your cell phone provider. I use my Slingbox all the time over wifi - which streams a TON of data and it doesn't impact my wireless plan at all.

-If you are on a selective data plan (unlimited personal email, etc). The parts of the phone that are usually restricted can be accessible when your phone is connected to Wifi.

-Great for Roaming. I headed down to Mexico last month. I set my phone's connection preference to "Off while Roaming". There was wifi in the main lobby at the hotel. I was able to check my mail, access web pages, facebook, etc. Once I was out of the wifi area, my phone went back to having data services off, and I incurred no roaming data charges. Plus, if you have UMA, you might also be able to call back home for free.

I think of the question "Why do I need wifi on a phone?" is a lot like "Why do I need power locks in my car".... sure you can get by without them, but once you get them, you don't want to go back.

(as a footnote, my 8900 is on a 1GB BES plan, so no options are restricted, regardless of having Wifi On/Off).
    Last edited by gm85; 06-14-09 at 05:17 PM.
    06-14-09 05:15 PM
    No wifi is a deal breaker for me when I'm traveling abroad. Don't want any crazy charges.
    06-15-09 08:15 PM
132 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD