It's all about the stats and BlackBerry themselves have aided that decision. 92% of all my words typed are on the vkb as opposed to the pkb. So basically only 8 words in every 100 are on the pkb. When I got there PRIV it was because I had this belief that I would use the pkb more and needed it.

I love the choice but I have to accept it's only a nice to have and not a necessity anymore. My preference has obviously changed without me even knowing it. The DTEK60 is the perfect phone to aid that move.

I fought the change but at the end of the day.. The numbers don't lie.
    Attached Thumbnails Why I'm leaving PKB for a VKB via PRIV to DTEK60.-184231.jpg  
    Last edited by naijab0y; 11-02-16 at 02:43 AM.
    11-02-16 01:42 AM
    Yes I'm starting to agree with you. I'm thinking about maybe getting the Classic, but now thinking the Dtek50 or 60 (If I win...praying). I would be fine using the BB vkb and be happy with Android apps.
    11-02-16 02:12 AM
    Moved to an iPhone after passport but was disappointed, now I got the dtek60 and very happy with it, highly recommended. Finally the hub is back and the BlackBerry keyboard
    11-03-16 02:33 AM
    I am currently considering going to a Priv, and the idea that it might be able to help me transition from pkb to vkb is certainly a point in its favor. I'll have to make that transition eventually, although I've been fighting it for nearly a decade now. With all the good things I hear about the Priv's vkb it might just be the phone I need to make that happen...while still having a pkb to fall back on.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-03-16 05:39 AM
    VKB is used by 99% for a reason. It makes the device superior.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 08:14 AM
    Considering the switch as well, but not convinced yet... what app/setting is that, where you see your stats at both keyboards?

It's all about the stats and BlackBerry themselves have aided that decision. 92% of all my words typed are on the vkb as opposed to the pkb. So basically only 8 words in every 100 are on the pkb. When I got there PRIV it was because I had this belief that I would use the pkb more and needed it.

I love the choice but I have to accept it's only a nice to have and not a necessity anymore. My preference has obviously changed without me even knowing it. The DTEK60 is the perfect phone to aid that move.

I fought the change but at the end of the day.. The numbers don't lie.
    11-03-16 08:36 AM
    I've tried both and PKB wins hands down. BlackBerry's VKB is the best but it's still no match for PKB.

Each to their own.
    11-03-16 08:39 AM
    Obviously everyone is entitled to an opinion on this because it is a personal preference issue. For myself, I still prefer pkb because:
    1. Travel distance between the keys is less, so typing is faster.
    2. Accuracy. Most noticeable when typing in a moving vehicle, walking etc. Even the slightest unexpected movement can lead to errors on a vkb.
    3. Vkb blocks half the screen.
    Yes the pkb can slow one down a bit on the Priv due to the slider, and models such as Classic and Passport are hampered by a square screen. Personally I always thought an iPhone 4/5 size screen (portrait orientation) with a pkb would be the ideal format for a BlackBerry...but no such model appears to be imminent particularly now that Mercury has been canned. Too bad.
    Last edited by kputock; 11-03-16 at 11:18 AM.
    11-03-16 08:41 AM
    Considering the switch as well, but not convinced yet... what app/setting is that, where you see your stats at both keyboards?
    Go into BlackBerry keyboard Settings and scroll down to Statistics. Let's know what yours says.
    11-03-16 08:47 AM
    Well, I didn't know about these stats... since I want to get a Dtek60, I started using the virtual kb only since yesterday... and even then, my stats are: virtual 895, physical 21,689 hahaha...

Go into BlackBerry keyboard Settings and scroll down to Statistics. Let's know what yours says.
    Last edited by gallopiton; 11-05-16 at 07:09 AM.
    11-04-16 06:30 PM
    Well, I didn't know about these stats... since I want to get a Dtek60, I started using the virtual kb only since yesterday... and even then, my stats are: virtual 895, physical 21,689 hahaha...
    No need for you to switch then.
    11-05-16 10:07 AM
    I've had my new Priv for almost two months now. I bought it for the pkb after having used Samsung Note handsets in the last four years. Prior to the Samsungs, I've always used handsets with slide out landscape pkb like the Windows Mobile HTC phones and the Maemo based Nokia N900. I found pkb handsets superior for accuracy and comfort. Even using vkb on Android in the last four years has not afforded me the same satisfaction and comfort that pkb handsets provide.

That being said, the vkb on the Priv is so good that I use it 90% of the time. Accuracy is better than the stock Android or 3rd party keyboards. I still use the Priv pkb for longer text entry that require accuracy like work email. Nothing beats pkb in that department.
    11-06-16 02:30 AM
    Thanks about info on Statistics, never looked at that before reading this thread. I checked my use and it's 2:1 ratio VKB:PKB.

I usually use the PKB for long work related emails. The rest of the time I use the VKB, so the stats seem about right. For me PKB is more accurate and satisfying to use over VKB.
    11-06-16 03:43 AM
    Yes, you are right, I don't need to switch but I am curious about the Dtek60, the faster processor, slimmer format, extra ram... but mostly because of the battery... my Priv isn't terrible, but I would like to get more hours... since this is my first Android phone ever, I wonder if battery life could be better... and now that I have tried more the virtual kb I would say that isn't too bad... a Mercury with Dtek60 specs would be what I am looking for...

No need for you to switch then.
    11-06-16 05:08 AM
    Yes, you are right, I don't need to switch but I am curious about the Dtek60, the faster processor, slimmer format, extra ram... but mostly because of the battery... my Priv isn't terrible, but I would like to get more hours... since this is my first Android phone ever, I wonder if battery life could be better... and now that I have tried more the virtual kb I would say that isn't too bad... a Mercury with Dtek60 specs would be what I am looking for...
    I hear you.

My opinion.. Much better than the priv in every way. This is what the priv should have been with the bonus of a pkb.

Some might have a different view and thats OK. I just shipped my priv to the new owner who bought it for �315 yesterday. So, basically got this phone for �175. Best transaction I've done in a long time.

For those who don't really understand how good this phone is. Go to YouTube and search the Alcatel 4S "REAL REVIEW" or Vodafone Platinum. More or less the same phone but not as beefed up as the dtek60 i.e 3gig ram as opposed to 4 gig and you'll have an idea of what you're gonna get.. But even more with the dtek60.
    11-06-16 07:15 AM
    I've tried both and PKB wins hands down. BlackBerry's VKB is the best but it's still no match for PKB.

Each to their own.
    One reason: no staring at the screen or, better: keyboard while typing... :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    11-06-16 03:10 PM
    One reason: no staring at the screen or, better: keyboard while typing... :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    With all due respect I don't understand this. Do you watch TV without looking? Talk to people without looking at them? We are visual people and it is natural to look at a screen that provides you with information. I know we're all different but for the majority of people I don't believe this is an issue.
    Ronindan and Bbnivende like this.
    11-06-16 03:32 PM
    With all due respect I don't understand this. Do you watch TV without looking? Talk to people without looking at them? We are visual people and it is natural to look at a screen that provides you with information. I know we're all different but for the majority of people I don't believe this is an issue.
    he must be....LOL
    11-06-16 04:32 PM
    Well, it all depends on one's preferences. I moved recently from Z1 Compact to Q10, because I really started to hate vkb. I never use autocorrect, because in czech language you have a LOT ways how to type, and most of time, you are not using the "correct" forms. Autocorrect then makes a lot of mistakes (changing words etc.). It's very tireful to keep concentrated in typing without autocorrect.

But the biggest issue for me is, however, the need of being concentrated itself. I am on my feet a lot of time and really don't like to keep my eyes strictly on screen during walk. The lack of physical feedback makes it much harder to type during walk. Considering this, pkb is the better choice.

It's everyone's point of view and needs. But generally, I think I can agree with you. BlackBerry is never really coming back, because "privacy" is something that isn't really in place here (unless you are using vpn, or paid BlackBerry services) and not really many guys nowadays long for pkb.

Posted via CB10 using my  Q10!
    02-10-17 09:50 AM
    Id say it's pretty much a wash for me. I like the pkb and use it a lot. I don't slide it out to answer a short text. If I'm going to send a long reply though I find myself using the pkb quite a bit. Also almost exclusively use it for posting here and other places
    Attached Thumbnails Why I'm leaving PKB for a VKB via PRIV to DTEK60.-6474.jpg  
    02-10-17 10:11 AM

Each to their own.
    This I have to agree with! The dtek60 has an incredible vkb. Although the keyboard is not really a selling point for me any longer I'm more of a gadget guy and love the latest and greatest.

I'll flip over to a Mercury when it arrives and then flip over to whatever comes out next. Could be a slab could have a pkb....doesn't matter it more the experience for me. But when it gets down to it...there is nothing like the accuracy of a pkb
    Last edited by Carjackd; 02-11-17 at 02:26 AM.
    phuoc likes this.
    02-10-17 10:19 AM

Each to their own.
    How long did you try a VKB?

When my work moved me from a STORM to a 9650... I hated it, it took me probably four months to get use to typing on a PKB and to learn even the basic keyboard shortcuts. Now after two years, yes I was typing with looking at my phone and using a number of shortcuts. But I still was not every as fast as I am now with predictive text and autocorrect. Now it's possible that with the newer capabilities of the newest devices that also allow flicking of words... that might be back in the PKB favor. Took me a long while to get use to not having a PKB again.....

But in the end for me it's not about the keyboard, I'd rather have those inches for my screen - and I kinda think that is the way 99.95% of the market thinks too. I do hope the Mercury is a success and that it keeps the PKB design available for those that are willing to use Android.

But as you said... to each their own.
    02-10-17 11:05 AM
    Oh god why did you've to include "Why I'm leaving" in the thread's subject. I thought I had my ad blocker off.

On a more serious note, Most users can use the VKB just fine. I think most people who buy a BlackBerry do it out of love for the devices themselves more than wanting a PKB, at least that's my take on it.
    02-11-17 02:23 AM

With all due respect, I don't understand why you don't understand this? I'm sitting here watching TV while typing this precisely because I'm NOT looking at my 9900 while typing!

I look at PEOPLE I'm talking to. Phones are not people.

If not using text to voice, I look at my phone to read what others have typed. Why do I need to look at 9900's screen to see what my thumb has typed? Thumb already knows. Thanks to muscle memory and tactile feedback.

Looking at my phone while typing is like looking at a microphone while addressing an audience. Lol. Looking at 9900 while pressing speed dial is like looking at steering wheel while driving. Imo.

I suspect our inability to understand each other has most to do with respective "personality types"?? Folks like me simply wouldn't have a life AT ALL if we couldn't include nearly continuous work communications into our futile pursuit of "life". There simply aren't enough seconds in a day to devote both hands, and both eyes, to communications. For some of us. It's a "personality type" thing. Those who get it, get it. Those who don't, won't. Lol.

Statistically predictably, you'll likely derive comfort identifying with the glass oriented collective majority. Others of us derive perfectly legitimate comfort among the redundant diversity of hyper competitive minority status.
    Sairos likes this.
    02-11-17 02:55 AM
    I actually find that easy to understand xD. Lots of times you need to type without looking. Maybe you're taking notes from someone, maybe you're looking at something and writing down the info at the same time. A lot of people need that. So having a BlackBerry in these situations would be extremely helpful. For some people, these situations are recurring much more than they're for you or someone else. See the idea?
    02-11-17 03:04 AM
38 12