Things were the same in 2017....

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    08-13-18 07:17 PM
    Things were the same in 2017....

Posted via CB10
    LOL ... the more things change the more they stay the same ...
    bakron1 likes this.
    08-13-18 07:24 PM
    You’ve been a little too relaxed.... it’s now 2018 brother.........
    Oops!! Must have had a brain fart, corrected.
    08-13-18 07:25 PM
    Oops!! Must have had a brain fart, corrected.
    Or you’ve finished the first six pack of the night..
    bakron1 likes this.
    08-13-18 07:29 PM
    What about AT&T, TMO, and every other carrier in the world that tracks and logs your every move?

I'm more concerned with how information is used than how it is collected.

I am satisfied with Google's terms on use.
    I'm not sure I follow. I have never seen a carrier present a setting to turn off location services. Nor should they - obviously the phones will just plain not work unless the network knows where they are.

All I am saying is that Google should not offer a setting labeled "location settings off" when that is not exactly true regarding their services.
    08-13-18 07:32 PM
    I'm not sure I follow. I have never seen a carrier present a setting to turn off location services. Nor should they - obviously the phones will just plain not work unless the network knows where they are.

All I am saying is that Google should not offer a setting labeled "location settings off" when that is not exactly true regarding their services.
    Carriers KEEP the location info.

I already assume everything that can be collected IS collected. That's not the part of the equation that concerns me.
    Last edited by conite; 08-13-18 at 08:23 PM.
    08-13-18 07:34 PM

Maybe there is no turnoff from your carrier but . . .
    08-13-18 08:20 PM
    Tin Cans with a string that's always in full view is the best option...
    Too bad that tariffs have made the price of tin as high as an iPhone X.
    pdr733, Mecca EL, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    08-13-18 09:06 PM
    Google should just do away with the option to "turn-off" location, if they're still getting location even when user turns it off.
    It would be more 'honest' and straightforward.
    Last edited by jope28; 08-13-18 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Off-topic
    08-13-18 09:45 PM
    Some carriers - Like Telus for example, offer an Opt-out method from their location gathering. Their website describes one reason for this location data collection is to provide it the purposes of city improvement planning, for example.

Bell got in trouble 5 or so years ago for collecting this information, and much more, and selling it off. After they got caught, for a while they stopped collecting the data, but now I think they have resumed it but customers now have to Opt-In.

Safe to just assume they are collecting it and to act accordingly
    Qorax likes this.
    08-13-18 09:47 PM
    Tracking location is « not that bad »... especially if it can improve location based services offered to me.

What is problematic is what if someone gets a hand on that, will they be able to identify me? That’s the biggest issue
    08-13-18 10:12 PM
    99% of android users don't care about this. Surprising how this is even news.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-18 11:48 PM
    Signal in your phone always shows which base station covers you, so the carrier you're using still doesn't know where your exact location is, they only know that you're under a base station X which located at there or there. It's different than how GPS works, which always give exact coordinates of your phone.

Google works only as a bridge between advertiser and audience. Means that data they collected are clustered into some-kind of model based on variety things, could be age, interest, content, location, etc. And depends on that, they distribute advertiser's ads right to targetted audiences. So it's not like google takes your data and shows them directly to advertisers, I could say the advertiser doesn't even lay a finger on audience's data at all.
    08-14-18 12:21 AM
    99% of android users don't care about this. Surprising how this is even news.

Posted via CB10
    Ift it's not on CrackBerry, you didn't see it!
    08-14-18 12:42 AM
    Well, for what is worth, I would pay for non-tracking. That is, I pay, and have for decades for my phone. I do not lease. Therefore, other than station / operational needs, I would like no tracking. And I would pay for my apps not to gather data.

As a one time sponsored athlete, I just hate the fact that app producers, OS groups ALL take the data and provide NO discount, nothing in return. The user is the product, is the data, and guinea pig. If a smart phone was a car, it would radio controlled by someone else and come with NO tyres. . . .
    Last edited by playfoot; 08-14-18 at 08:09 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-14-18 02:12 AM
    I, also, would happily pay for a real choice. Corporate espionage IS real. Especially when not-so-benevolent governments are involved. Lol.

It's worth pondering just what our devices "know" about us... Camera front & rear, microphone, sms, email, ... CONTACTS! ... GPS, etc, etc... All in an always-on "soft off" package that we typically can't even pull the battery from! Lol.

The data IS there. Assume every last keystroke is displayed on every roadside billboard on the planet... Nothing new about that. What IS "new" is the abject lack of choice in all of this. Yes, we're handed "choices we can't refuse" and told "everyone does it" so it MUST be ok! ?? Lol. A choice of Google or Apple or "soft off" ??? Lol.

Even if "Saint Goog" can be trusted, how do we trust whoever WILL one day hack The Goog? Ponder how much more effective Stalin's purges could have been with access to Google's mountain of data!! ??? Do any of us really expect that the next "stalin" won't avail themselves of this data? Perhaps even decades later?? History too sadly illustrates that it's only a matter of "when".

Of course there'll be those who will praise the "innocent" lives saved from purges & "re-education" thru improved targeting precision derived from such data. Lol.

Oh well, I can still choose to pull battery from this 9900... Maybe even till 1/1/20... ?? Lol. THEN, only "choices we can't refuse...". Lol. Such a brave new world... Hehe...
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    08-14-18 04:58 AM
    I, also, would happily pay for a real choice. Corporate espionage IS real. Especially when not-so-benevolent governments are involved. Lol.

It's worth pondering just what our devices "know" about us... Camera front & rear, microphone, sms, email, ... CONTACTS! ... GPS, etc, etc... All in an always-on "soft off" package that we typically can't even pull the battery from! Lol.

The data IS there. Assume every last keystroke is displayed on every roadside billboard on the planet... Nothing new about that. What IS "new" is the abject lack of choice in all of this. Yes, we're handed "choices we can't refuse" and told "everyone does it" so it MUST be ok! ?? Lol. A choice of Google or Apple or "soft off" ??? Lol.

Even if "Saint Goog" can be trusted, how do we trust whoever WILL one day hack The Goog? Ponder how much more effective Stalin's purges could have been with access to Google's mountain of data!! ??? Do any of us really expect that the next "stalin" won't avail themselves of this data? Perhaps even decades later?? History too sadly illustrates that it's only a matter of "when".

Of course there'll be those who will praise the "innocent" lives saved from purges & "re-education" thru improved targeting precision derived from such data. Lol.

Oh well, I can still choose to pull battery from this 9900... Maybe even till 1/1/20... ?? Lol. THEN, only "choices we can't refuse...". Lol. Such a brave new world... Hehe...
    Wow, all this because of a damn phone.....let’s go back to rotary dial and pagers.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-14-18 05:23 AM
    Wow, all this because of a damn phone.....let’s go back to rotary dial and pagers.
    Haha... "all of this because of" human propensity to abuse knowledge. Nothing new. Rotary dial was perfectly traceable. No GPS needed. Lol.

Genie's out. No going back. Until Samsung perfects "Time Travel" calendar feature... lol. We each have choices. Some will "choose" blissful ignorance. Others will discuss & mitigate.
    Mecca EL and anon(10321802) like this.
    08-14-18 06:01 AM
    What about AT&T, TMO, and every other carrier in the world that tracks and logs your every move?

I'm more concerned with how information is used than how it is collected.

I am satisfied with Google's terms on use.
    I agree with this whole statement. Personally, I don't like that anyone collects data; cell carriers, tech companies like Google, Apple, MS, Amazon, or even your bank every time you swipe a card. The only thing I can do is control who gets what data to the best of my ability, so that if it is sold, I did what I could to mitigate it. Since it's in Google's best interest to keep said data, I'd rather they have it than AT&T. Who knows what AT&T does with that info.....
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-14-18 07:59 AM
    Too bad that tariffs have made the price of tin as high as an iPhone X.
    Good one, OLD man! (g)
    08-14-18 08:50 AM
    When BBOS and BB10 phones can’t run anymore is it no more cellphones? That time isn’t far off. Just wondering.
    08-14-18 08:57 AM
    Cool story bro. Be sure to incinerate your phones, computers, and anything else that sends or receives a signal. Good luck out there.
    08-14-18 09:40 AM
    Cool story bro. Be sure to incinerate your phones, computers, and anything else that sends or receives a signal. Good luck out there.
    Nope. Not a viable solution. But you knew that already and are just trying to be cute.

Are you really OK with companies claiming to not collect your data without your consent and then doing it anyway? If they've violated your trust in that way, they are capable of violating it in other ways.

Using connected technology and maintaining privacy are not mutually exclusive, but we've been led to believe they are.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    08-14-18 09:58 AM
    Nope. Not a viable solution. But you knew that already and are just trying to be cute.

Are you really OK with companies claiming to not collect your data without your consent and then doing it anyway? If they've violated your trust in that way, they are capable of violating it in other ways.

Using connected technology and maintaining privacy are not mutually exclusive, but we've been led to believe they are.
    No I wasn't being cute. quite serious, actually. If you use any connected device, such as whatever you just posted from, then your ISP/carrier has your info (including where you posted from) and probably Crackberry/Mobile Nations as well (hey look! "Brought to you by Key2!").

Am I ok with Google misleading people about their settings? Sure! Does the same article also tell you what to do to turn it off completely? Yup! Now tell me how you plan to keep you ISP or cell carrier from tracking what you browse and where you use your phone, and keep them from selling it to advertisers.

Google is just an easy target for you tin-foil folks, but for as long as you use ANY connected device you're giving it up to somebody. Willingly. Knowingly.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-14-18 10:18 AM
    No I wasn't being cute. quite serious, actually. If you use any connected device, such as whatever you just posted from, then your ISP/carrier has your info (including where you posted from) and probably Crackberry/Mobile Nations as well (hey look! "Brought to you by Key2!").

Am I ok with Google misleading people about their settings? Sure! Does the same article also tell you what to do to turn it off completely? Yup! Now tell me how you plan to keep you ISP or cell carrier from tracking what you browse and where you use your phone, and keep them from selling it to advertisers.

Google is just an easy target for you tin-foil folks, but for as long as you use ANY connected device you're giving it up to somebody. Willingly. Knowingly.
    Good to know that you're OK with companies misleading people. I'm not.
    08-14-18 10:23 AM
389 1234 ...