Yesterday I went to get a secondary device for my other line (my primary one is on the Q10) and was actually "meh" infront of the offerings. All the phones are look alikes and even the seller was bored as hell and even suggested me a white Q10 since all others are just the same. My point here is that the new form fator of the Passport, as much as it can be esthetically not very favorable, but it does break the routine in the hardware design of the smartphones. All are the same esthetically (or almost) and with the end of the spec-war, little manufacturers has to offer. So I just left and didn't buy anything, I will just wait for the. BlackBerry Passport.

Powered by Blackberry
    07-27-14 01:41 AM
    So you like the design?

I want it because it's finally a keyboard phone with a display that you can actually use for media consumption as well.

I like the idea of the capacitive keyboard and that you can flick words on it.

It finally has high-end specs, first BlackBerry to have them.

It has no toolbelt, but still managed to have a trackpad. (I don't like the toolbelt.)

It runs BB10.

The Passport has a gigantic battery and seems to be not only be a good smartphone, but a good phone overall as well.

And I am sure that I'll find other reasons when I bought it, but those are the ones why I want it.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 02:04 AM
    Agree with Marsupilamix.

While I like the design of the passport (and I do mind aesthetics a lot), when about phones I put aesthetics on the 2nd-3ed level. Functionality and efficiency for my use of the phone is primary decision factor for me.

I think -still will have to check the phone up close- that the Passport brings attributes that add value in a multilevel way:

-Improvement over my current choice (Q10): I love BB10 and really like my Q10 (also had a Z10). PHKB makes my 100-300 email handling/day that much better, so I stay with the PHKB, although the Z10 was an amazing keyboard to work on, the only VK I could work on really. So I sacrificed screen for typing experience. Media consumption is probably the last thing I enjoy on my Q10. So the Passport is a BIG step forward on that. (+ battery but not happy it is not removable).

Also big screen and character capacity per row enhances all levels of interaction, from documents to web surfing, communication, media etc. This is one really good reason to get the Passport, being a phkb phone. Also the touch sensitive phkb makes it even more interesting.

In short, it will do more for work and enhance media and personal consumption while its specs are more than I can ask for on a phone and BB10 my OS of conscious choice. For me, design would be the last thing to look at, but surprisingly being a "retro" and clean lines phone, also appeals to me, so, I am really thinking of getting it.
    07-27-14 05:05 AM
    Agree with the above whole heartedly - finally a machine that had the specs, screen and oomph that bb10 deserves.

I'm concerned about the keyboard reliability, I'm on my second Q10 ( the keyboard was swapped out twice before they replaced the device), and I want to see android side loading on that screen.

It bothers me that I can't have viber, from app world - and the side loaded version is a mess. I want to know how development will be supported, for the passport.

Otherwise it looks awesome! I'm used to the Q10 keyboard and the lumia 1520 swipe style keyboard (wp8.1) so am wondering if there will be a swipe option on that capacitive keyboard... All in all I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!!
    Sent using tapatalk!
    07-27-14 05:25 AM
    . My favorite laptop is a Lenovo X230 it's pretty boxy and not sleek at all. But it's a great sturdy computer and has an awesome touchpad and keyboard.

That's the way I look at the passport it's not the best looking thing but i don't care, I've always been more of a jeep guy myself instead of a fancy looking car lol

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 06:27 AM
    I love the design of the passport myself. Can't wait for release. Saving up my money cause I have a feeling it will be over priced, and not available from any carrier. Although I did see a YouTube video last night on the passport and it had a t mobile emblem on it..... hmm. we shall see though

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 08:19 AM
    Agree with OP. Wouldn't mind something a little bit different this time. If I don't like the form factor after atleast trying it, I can go back to z10 or maybe trade if for a z30 on Craigslist. I just think it's worth trying.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 08:47 AM
    I really have to hold and use one before I make that decision. That might be difficult in the U. S. If not my Q10 will suffice.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-27-14 09:03 AM
    I really have to hold and use one before I make that decision. That might be difficult in the U. S. If not my Q10 will suffice.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    I am with you on that, I need to use it in order to be sure if I want it as my daily driver. It seems to be the case but I really want to see how the kb works for me and if it will suppose a transition I am willing to make. But I am really positively inclined and I think that most probably the moment I get my hands on it, I will leave the store some hundred euro "lighter"...

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 10:26 AM
    I just saw a size comparison to the Q10 and it surprised me that it wasn't that much bigger. That has me very interested now.

Posted with my Q
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    07-27-14 10:44 AM
    Well it will be the first keypad phone with a really cool screen real estate. And I will be one the first one's to buy it..(if my wifey allows me to) haha! I just hope the pricing is correct. Eitherways I will buy it sooner rather than later.

Posted from my SuperHuman Q10
    07-27-14 12:30 PM
    . My favorite laptop is a Lenovo X230 it's pretty boxy and not sleek at all. But it's a great sturdy computer and has an awesome touchpad and keyboard.

That's the way I look at the passport it's not the best looking thing but i don't care, I've always been more of a jeep guy myself instead of a fancy looking car lol

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree with u.