I need a smart phone that doesn't have a million distractions at once. Just dx ADD at 40...I start to do something and can't remember what is was right before execution.

The reason I switched to AT&T is they still the last driver for BIS. and BB announced recently that they are extending EOL.
    My brain will hurt a lot less using a Bold 9900 which should be here by Friday.

Our brains fray with multitasking, I need something task switching... no popup alerts, no beeps or sounds, and only alerts that show up are the color of the LED....yes you can do this all with Android etc....just involves installing bloatful of software and I appreciate the resource conservative nature of the BB, being designed to be able to do all the same.

Also if anyone else is thinking to do the same, note that it has to be an AT&T branded phone and not one unlocked from T-mobile....they use different radio bands.
    08-04-19 11:25 AM
    I agree with your sentiment and reasoning although I miss BB10 (Z10) more than BBOS (Torch 9800). Just not practical for me.
    08-04-19 11:36 AM
    I need a smart phone that doesn't have a million distractions at once. Just dx ADD at 40...I start to do something and can't remember what is was right before execution.

The reason I switched to AT&T is they still the last driver for BIS. and BB announced recently that they are extending EOL.

Our brains fray with multitasking, I need something task switching... no popup alerts, no beeps or sounds, and only alerts that show up are the color of the LED....yes you can do this all with Android etc....just involves installing bloatful of software and I appreciate the resource conservative nature of the BB, being designed to be able to do all the same.

Also if anyone else is thinking to do the same, note that it has to be an AT&T branded phone and not one unlocked from T-mobile....they use different radio bands.
    All 9900s support the same GSM/UMTS bands. The phone will work even if brought (unlocked) from another network/carrier.

AT&T customers used to buy from Rogers in Canada all the time.
    Last edited by conite; 08-04-19 at 12:20 PM.
    08-04-19 12:06 PM

Why don't you just delete the extra apps, hide the ones you can't delete/disable, and turn off all Notifications?
    08-04-19 12:08 PM
    Why don't you just delete the extra apps, hide the ones you can't delete/disable, and turn off all Notifications?
    I need a device with all that built in....I need restraints :P

Many other reasons is the Bold fits in the palm and it a phone you can grip. Forget gripping touch screen smart phones-- either slips out of the hand to easily or you unintentionally press some buttons.

The worst besides the ADD causing affect, is I more times than not hit the mute button with my face when talking to someone.

And I can go on about....also the KeyOne I can't hear the other person....so I put it on speaker....the Bold's and Curves had excellent speaker strenght. I guess they want everyone to have bluetooth idk, though I do not need another thing to charge and loose. I just want a simple smart phone that is designed for business and not so much for bells and whistles that require a significantly more resources to do what BBOS devices can do without.
    08-04-19 12:20 PM
    The most "Bold" you should go is the Classic.

Anything older than that and you will probably rage quit pretty soon
    givechanceachance likes this.
    08-04-19 08:32 PM
    I need a device with all that built in....I need restraints :P

Many other reasons is the Bold fits in the palm and it a phone you can grip. Forget gripping touch screen smart phones-- either slips out of the hand to easily or you unintentionally press some buttons.

The worst besides the ADD causing affect, is I more times than not hit the mute button with my face when talking to someone.

And I can go on about....also the KeyOne I can't hear the other person....so I put it on speaker....the Bold's and Curves had excellent speaker strenght. I guess they want everyone to have bluetooth idk, though I do not need another thing to charge and loose. I just want a simple smart phone that is designed for business and not so much for bells and whistles that require a significantly more resources to do what BBOS devices can do without.
    How is that even possible you can't accident press the mute button with your face unless you mean the side buttons
    Your proximity sensor turns off the screen when your face is within 5 inches of the screen so none of the on-screen buttons will appear while you are talking on the phone
    They do reappear if you take your face away from the phone to let's say look at an incoming call

That's just a myth
    Unless you are talking about holding it with your hands away from your face talking to the phone rather then talking into the phone like you're supposed to
    If the above case is true then you will accidently press it regardless of what phone you use
    Another bold.isn't possible as the existing hardware is no longer manufacturer nor is blackberry even interested in producing low volume devices
    You are better off with existing ones like punkt or feature phones
    If you want to get devices you want support blackberry with existing devices not overclock or used devices where they don't make any money
    Remember buying older hardware limits your options you have e to search for parts or pay someone to repair it
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-04-19 09:07 PM
    Our brains fray with multitasking, I need something task switching... no popup alerts, no beeps or sounds, and only alerts that show up are the color of the LED....
    Research has proven for the last 70 years humans are incapable of true multitasking beyond chewing gum and walking at the same time, and even then...

That's why your brain was hurting. The tech industry is fooling into thinking we are multitasking to get us hooked

I have the Q10, my wife the Classic. She claims she is a dunce with tech and yet she figured out how to download a pile of time-wasting games. So, even with a back to the basics phone, you may actually have to go to a Punkt. Although, texting will be miserable.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-19 09:16 PM
    The Bold 9900 isn't really a 'smartphone' anymore. Think of it as a crippled feature phone. It's perfect for what you want, if that's really what you want. You'll figure that out within a week or two.

What works: calling and SMS/MMS; email (because you're on AT&T and they have BIS still -- for now); all the PIM stuff (memos, tasks, contacts and calendar). You may need BlackBerry desktop for some of it.

Other useful, still functioning apps:
    -podtrapper
    -Kindle
    -Mobipocket reader
    -you can do a bit of light browsing with Opera Mini and the built-in browser (but for God's sake don't log into anything! The security is way out of date.)
    -Google Maps still works, but I'm sure it's ancient compared to whatever you're accustomed to using.

There's a bit more. Check out The Bold Explorer for setup and app information.

Edit: I should have noted that MMS (multimedia messages) will only work in most cases if your carrier still has BlackBerry Internet Service.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 08-05-19 at 09:53 AM.
    08-04-19 09:45 PM
    That's it, I'm getting my wife a Bold.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-19 12:33 AM
    How is that even possible you can't accident press the mute button with your face unless you mean the side buttons
    Your proximity sensor turns off the screen when your face is within 5 inches of the screen so none of the on-screen buttons will appear while you are talking on the phone
    They do reappear if you take your face away from the phone to let's say look at an incoming call

That's just a myth
    It isn’t actually. More like a humid/greased up/whatever malfunction of that sensor. K1 is the worst for me, gowever happened to me on Classic and K2le as well
    08-05-19 02:15 AM
    Just a quick question.

Can these phones still be activated on AT&T, being still a 3G phone, now?

I'm reading conflicting reports about AT&T ending activation of any phone that isn't VoLTE compatible. One report said they will stop activation of 3G only phone on Dec 31 2019, another says they've already stopped on Jun 30 2019.

The actual 3G Network isn't going down until Feb 22, 2022 (kind of a weird date), and all currently active 3G phones will continue to work until then, but has anyone activated a BBOS 3G phone with a new plan in the past month?
    08-05-19 08:37 AM
    Just a quick question.

Can these phones still be activated on AT&T, being still a 3G phone, now?

I'm reading conflicting reports about AT&T ending activation of any phone that isn't VoLTE compatible. One report said they will stop activation of 3G only phone on Dec 31 2019, another says they've already stopped on Jun 30 2019.

The actual 3G Network isn't going down until Feb 22, 2022 (kind of a weird date), and all currently active 3G phones will continue to work until then, but has anyone activated a BBOS 3G phone with a new plan in the past month?
    I think June 30 2019 was the deadline for MVNOs to be able to active older none LTE devices. Not sure about AT&T themselves, that might be the end of the year date. But BIS is another matter...

Not many people trying to active a device that old...
    08-05-19 08:53 AM
    I think June 30 2019 was the deadline for MVNOs to be able to active older none LTE devices. Not sure about AT&T themselves, that might be the end of the year date. But BIS is another matter...

Maybe, but everything I'm reading says "AT&T". Nothing about the MVNOs. Might not be reading it right either. Wouldn't be the first time.
    08-05-19 09:13 AM
    Maybe, but everything I'm reading says "AT&T". Nothing about the MVNOs. Might not be reading it right either. Wouldn't be the first time.
    It was the MVNOs, Cricket and one other that had posted the June 30th date.... not AT&T.
    08-05-19 09:21 AM
    Don't take anything I say as evidence respecting AT&T's policies.

The OP has been chatting with AT&T about activation: https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13426225

I am operating on the assumption that it's still possible. But I live in Canada and don't keep up with US carrier policies.
    08-05-19 09:50 AM
    Don't take anything I say as evidence respecting AT&T's policies.

The OP has been chatting with AT&T about activation: https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13426225

I am operating on the assumption that it's still possible. But I live in Canada and don't keep up with US carrier policies.
    Without a clear commitment from BlackBerry on the future of BIS and then without a clear commitment from AT&T on BIS support.... not sure going back to a BOLD would be anything but a lark or setting yourself up for some frustration.

Have to see with givechanceachance attempt if it's even possible with AT&T....
    08-05-19 11:35 AM
    Without a clear commitment from BlackBerry on the future of BIS and then without a clear commitment from AT&T on BIS support.... not sure going back to a BOLD would be anything but a lark or setting yourself up for some frustration.

Have to see with givechanceachance attempt if it's even possible with AT&T....
    Well, it's got the best QWERTY ever put on an alarm clock and music player...
    08-05-19 11:50 AM
    That's it, I'm getting my wife a Bold.

Posted via CB10
    Bold has games too, you know :P
    08-05-19 06:32 PM

The AT&T tech lady told me they have been getting a bunch of similar calls to get their old BBOS devices working. They got enough calls to know that the phones need to be pure AT&T,not T-mobile unlocked.

They transceive on completely different radio bands for 3G/4G. You can look that up.
    08-05-19 06:35 PM
    The AT&T tech lady told me they have been getting a bunch of similar calls to get their old BBOS devices working. They got enough calls to know that the phones need to be pure AT&T,not T-mobile unlocked.

They transceive on completely different radio bands for 3G/4G. You can look that up.
    There is TMO, and then essentially everyone else.
    08-05-19 06:36 PM

For me, it's more about the smaller form factor. I want a "mobile" device that still fits in my pockets and does not stab my internal organs when I sit.

All android OEM's seem to be in a competition to make the tallest phones possible. 1.5 years ago, 5.5 inch was the norm and now it appears that 6.5 is average.

I carried a classic for some time and the main reason I no longer use it as a daily driver is lack of VPN. I need VPN 24/7 and that is managed much simpler with android.

The form of the classic was perfect. Pocket-able and functional. Those 2 concepts seem totally lost on android OEMs at the moment. The only hope is the rumoured Motorola razor folding phone.
    08-05-19 07:32 PM
    The Bold 9900 isn't really a 'smartphone' anymore. Think of it as a crippled feature phone. It's perfect for what you want, if that's really what you want. You'll figure that out within a week or two.

What works: calling and SMS/MMS; email (because you're on AT&T and they have BIS still -- for now); all the PIM stuff (memos, tasks, contacts and calendar). You may need BlackBerry desktop for some of it.

Other useful, still functioning apps:
    -podtrapper
    -Kindle
    -Mobipocket reader
    -you can do a bit of light browsing with Opera Mini and the built-in browser (but for God's sake don't log into anything! The security is way out of date.)
    -Google Maps still works, but I'm sure it's ancient compared to whatever you're accustomed to using.

There's a bit more. Check out The Bold Explorer for setup and app information.

Edit: I should have noted that MMS (multimedia messages) will only work in most cases if your carrier still has BlackBerry Internet Service.
    If you painfully import (manually exporting, I did it, took a flicukking HOUR!!!) the certificates from firefox (except the irrelevant mozilla-specific ones), you won't run into many issues logging into pretty much anything.

Just rename (where you saved them) the folder of certificates to "certificates" (lowercase, without quotes) and you can import it via the settings. However, it'll do feck-all in improving the browser at all.

Tip: delete any X-marked certificates to avoid further problems.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    08-06-19 02:50 AM
    If you painfully import (manually exporting, I did it, took a flicukking HOUR!!!) the certificates from firefox (except the irrelevant mozilla-specific ones), you won't run into many issues logging into pretty much anything.

Just rename (where you saved them) the folder of certificates to "certificates" (lowercase, without quotes) and you can import it via the settings. However, it'll do feck-all in improving the browser at all.

Tip: delete any X-marked certificates to avoid further problems.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    We think similarly. I've done the cert export/import. It does reduce the number of certificate errors, but it does not solve the larger problems around the ancient TLS version.
    08-06-19 08:50 AM