I picked up the Q10 today and was delirious with excitement to start using it. After a quick backup of my Z10 and switching my info over to the Q10, I was in business. This phone really is the dream BlackBerry for the QWERTY fan (of which I am one). It is everything that I wanted the 9900 to be back in 2011 and more. I spent the day using it and putting it through its paces and I instantly fell in love. The keyboard is best in breed and OS 10.1 is buttery smooth. The size is the perfect form factor and fits beautifully in my hand and clothing (I find the Z10 a smidge large in terms of getting it into certain jacket pockets). I was so happy with my purchase! But then something happened... by the end of the day, the "new BB shine" of the Q10 had worn off. The experience had already become routine after just 12 hours of use! I was concerned over the fact that I was getting that uneasy feeling of buyer's remorse when I realized what had happened.

As a long time BB fan I've become conditioned on what to expect with each new device. Pearls to Curves (8900 still the king) to Bolds... every new model was an iterative improvement over the previous... and the Q10 fell right in line. The Q10 truly is the gold standard of what was a BlackBerry evolution.

However, if the Q10 is an evolution, than the Z10 is a REVOLUTION! When I powered up that slab of beauty for the first time, I was blown away in a way that I had never felt with any other new BB before. Three months later I'm still in awe of the Z10, constantly fondling and playing with it non-stop. The shine is still there, the luster not lost. So the more I played with the Q10, the more I kept thinking "man, these 10.1 OS improvements are sweet (i.e. better cursor bubble), I can't wait for OS 10.1 to release for the Z10!"

The other thing that threw me for a loop was the fact that I discovered that I'm actually SLOWER typing on the Q10 than on the Z10! As a long time die hard QWERTY guy, the Z10 was my first all touch phone and I bought it really out of curiosity and brand loyalty than out of a desire to enter the touch market. I was so sure in my mind that I would always go back to QWERTY as soon as the Q10 came out. But after spending three glorious months with the Z10, my muscle memory has gotten all jacked. I found myself still typing accurately on the Q10 but a lot slower. Also, my fingers got sore since I was pounding a physical key instead of a smooth surface!

Another factor that took me by surprise were the shortcuts. I LOVE SHORTCUTS so the Q10 was going to herald the return of a more efficient BB experience for me. So I was surprised to see that I used the screen to navigate BB10 constantly almost forgetting that shortcuts existed.

App selection was a bummer as many of the apps that I had installed on my Z10 did not show up in My BlackBerry World. I know it's only a matter of time for the devs to convert them over, but I feel like the Z10 will always get the first love whenever it comes to app development with the Q10 straggling behind.

And finally there's the screen. I was spoiled by the Z10 size and so going to the Q10 felt cramped by comparison. If they could have decreased the size of the icons by say, 25%, maybe I'd feel differently.

That is not to say that the Q10 is a bad device... far from it! I think anyone who's going from a legacy QWERTY BB to the Q10 will have an amazing experience of discovery and BB OS advancement! In my case, my stop in Z10 Haven really changed my perspective on how efficient a person could be on a touch device. Had I stuck with my 9900 and moved straight to the Q10 skipping the Z10, this post would probably be a love-fest of how the Q10 was the king of BBs as opposed to playing second fiddle to the Z10. That really is a testament to the job that BBRY has done in building an incredible touch experience when their bread and butter and reputation has traditionally been linked to keyboards.

In the end, I gave the Q10 to my wife (and she deserves it since I did use her upgrade to get it!). She absolutely loves it as she's undergoing a significant upgrade in user experience coming from a 9900.

As for me, I have returned to my precious Z10 after a one day break. I just installed the latest OS 10.1 leak on it and am loving this device all over again (as if loving it more could even be possible!). Happy to be back with it but also happy that we now have a Q10 living under our roof as well! Bring on the Aristo!
    05-02-13 12:59 AM
    Great read! Glad to know you gave it a shot! I'm looking forward to getting mine!!

Posted via unlocked Z10 on T-Mo in SoCal
    danfrancisco likes this.
    05-02-13 01:12 AM
    Great read! Glad to know you gave it a shot! I'm looking forward to getting mine!!

Posted via unlocked Z10 on T-Mo in SoCal
    Thanks for the feedback! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Q10 compared to the Z10 once you get it.
    05-02-13 01:17 AM
    Nice post. I think I agree with what you were saying. If I had gone straight from my 9700 to the Q10, it would probably be the one I would have chosen to be the best for me. But, since using the Z10, the tips of my fingers no longer hurt, and I love the screen real estate. I've also gotten used to flicking words up from the keyboard. It's amazing how ones perspective can change as they get accustomed to something new.

Posted via CB10
    danfrancisco and MrRtic like this.
    05-02-13 01:24 AM
    As people say about the z10

You should really give the q10 more than one day before making a decision

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 04:50 AM
    App selection was a bummer as many of the apps that I had installed on my Z10 did not show up in My BlackBerry World. I know it's only a matter of time for the devs to convert them over, but I feel like the Z10 will always get the first love whenever it comes to app development with the Q10 straggling behind.
    I'm not so sure. I think it's way too soon to say that, and I think it will depend very much on just how well the Q10 does. I'm a developer, and trust me when I say that if the Q10 sells enough devices (lets just say on par with the Z10) then it will absolutely be a key focus in all our app designs. The only reason it's lagged so far, I believe, is because developers had little to no access to either devices (i.e. the Dev Alpha C) or the SDK until very recently, because BlackBerry released them second. I don't expect that to be the pattern for the future.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    05-02-13 07:48 AM
    I don't think there's any product on the market that can type faster than the Z10. I've tried 3rd party apps from Android, close but not faster. But I think the Q10 will be more accurate for every press you make.
    05-02-13 07:59 AM
    One of the things I love the most about the Z10 is that my fingers no longer get sore from typing on a physical keyboard, and yet I'm still typing as quickly and maybe a bit more so than on my legacy BlackBerry.

The only thing that draws my interest to the Q10 is the type N go as I was a huge fan of shortcuts on my curve. It makes me so tempted to try one out.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and Xopher like this.
    05-02-13 08:37 AM
    As people say about the z10

You should really give the q10 more than one day before making a decision

Posted via CB10
    The wife gets the Q and the husband gets the Z. Everybody's happy ever after. Good ending.
    My sister, a Bold user, will be ecstatic with the Q.

Post via CB Z10
    danfrancisco likes this.
    05-02-13 09:39 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been thinking that I may experience the same problem. I am seriously addicted to my Z10 but I love the form factor of the Q10 and miss the keyboard. I have been deciding whether or not to just get both. After reading your post I think I will stick with the Zed. I am pretty sure I would end up in the same boat plus I could use the $600-$700 to get my mother something nice for Mothers day.

Posted via CB10
    sosof likes this.
    05-02-13 09:58 AM
    I'm not so sure. I think it's way too soon to say that, and I think it will depend very much on just how well the Q10 does. I'm a developer, and trust me when I say that if the Q10 sells enough devices (lets just say on par with the Z10) then it will absolutely be a key focus in all our app designs. The only reason it's lagged so far, I believe, is because developers had little to no access to either devices (i.e. the Dev Alpha C) or the SDK until very recently, because BlackBerry released them second. I don't expect that to be the pattern for the future.
    This is a great point and one which I hadn't considered. From all the rumblings and expectations, a lot of folks are predicting that the Q10 will outsell the Z10 by a large margin so you could be right in that the Q10 will end up getting all of the developer love!
    05-02-13 10:35 AM
    I know I'm not the only one who can type without looking at the keyboard on a touch screen. I just typed this not even looking at the screen once that's how good the auto correction is. Don't miss the q10 one bit.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 10:55 AM
    I have a Q10 on hold at Rogers (pre-order). Your well written article is what I am worried about as well as I have a first-day Z10 in my pocket already, too. Like you - the Q10 may go to my sweetie as she is currently carrying a 9900. Hard call.
    05-02-13 11:01 AM
    Great thoughts OP. Touchscreens aren't efficient for everyone compared to QWERTY but that what makes Blackberry a good platform. They, now, cater well to both.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-02-13 11:18 AM
    Thanks for sharing!

The Q10 is a beautiful device. I was considering getting one (in addition to my Z10) but the Z10's keyboard is too amazing. I really want to play with a Q10 when it arrives in American carrier stores, though!

As for the apps, I hope the Q10 gets as much love and attention from developers as the Z10 does. I know many of us thought that the Z10 would be the flagship device but now that the Q10 is out, I'm not so sure BlackBerry has only one flagship. There's a lot of love to go around for both of these devices and it's well deserved.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 11:21 AM
    I know I'm not the only one who can type without looking at the keyboard on a touch screen. I just typed this not even looking at the screen once that's how good the auto correction is. Don't miss the q10 one bit.

Posted via CB10
    I need to get that proficient!

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky likes this.
    05-02-13 11:42 AM
    I don't want the Q because they screen size. Simple as that. Beautiful phone though!

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    reeneebob and TgeekB like this.
    05-02-13 11:58 AM
    I need to get that proficient!

Posted via CB10
    Same here lol, I can look right at it and still make mistakes lol. Good thread OP!!

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    05-31-13 02:50 AM
    I don't want the Q because they screen size. Simple as that. Beautiful phone though!

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    This. I've been messing with the store Q10 every chance I get and always feel relieved to get back to my Z10. The screen is just too small. I don't care if the physical keyboard calls me in the morning and brings me breakfast in bed, the screen size compromise is too much to stay with the Q over the Z...

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 03:22 AM
    A day really isn't long enough to get use to a phone, especially a touch screen vs physical keyboard, so I'm not surprised you kept forgetting about shortcuts. Can you imagine what everyone would be saying if someone with an iphone tried the Q10 for a single day then returned it? Maybe a week trial would have been better.

Posted via CB10
    papped likes this.
    05-31-13 06:12 AM
    An excellent post with great observations, but you are not making things any easier for me!

I just downgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus to my tried and true Curve 8530 with the intention of eventually upgrading to a Z10 or Q10.

Using a physical keyboard again has really made me realize how much I was using the backspace key on my Android. I type sooooo much faster and more accurately on my trusty Curve, the difference is staggering. I'm even typing this on my PlayBook with its huge touchscreen keyboard and wishing I had my Curve. This makes me want a Q10.

However, I'm afraid if I go with the Q10 I'll soon be wishing for the Z10 with a little more screen real estate and a form factor that looks a little more modern.

I guess I'll have to make several visits to a carrier store and try them both out extensively to see what works for me.

Thanks for the insights!
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-31-13 07:35 AM
    An excellent post with great observations, but you are not making things any easier for me!

I just downgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus to my tried and true Curve 8530 with the intention of eventually upgrading to a Z10 or Q10.

Using a physical keyboard again has really made me realize how much I was using the backspace key on my Android. I type sooooo much faster and more accurately on my trusty Curve, the difference is staggering. I'm even typing this on my PlayBook with its huge touchscreen keyboard and wishing I had my Curve. This makes me want a Q10.

However, I'm afraid if I go with the Q10 I'll soon be wishing for the Z10 with a little more screen real estate and a form factor that looks a little more modern.

I guess I'll have to make several visits to a carrier store and try them both out extensively to see what works for me.

Thanks for the insights!
    This was me on any other virtual keyboard. But the capabilities of the Z10 are something else. I hated every virtual keyboard I had ever used, including the PlayBook's. But the Z10's is just a totally different breed, especially once it's gone through its 'learning curve' and learns your typing habits. You would not believe the crap that comes out of my thumbs that this thing is able to decipher into the actual words I'm trying to type. I very rarely have to make corrections any more, and I can tell you that it has nothing to do with my touch-screen accuracy.

I never, ever thought I'd use anything but a physical QWERTY device; but now I have no desire to even look at a Q10.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-31-13 10:23 AM
    If anyone is thinking of going back to BlackBerry and doesn't know which way to go because of the touch screen keyboard, if you have Android download swift key and use it for a while. It's the same engine as the bb10 keyboard and then closest to the typing experience. That way you can kind of see what you'll be dealing with.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:25 AM
    A day really isn't long enough to get use to a phone, especially a touch screen vs physical keyboard, so I'm not surprised you kept forgetting about shortcuts. Can you imagine what everyone would be saying if someone with an iphone tried the Q10 for a single day then returned it? Maybe a week trial would have been better.

Posted via CB10
    This is a good point and one which several members have made. I agree that if an iPhone user were to give up on the Q10 after a day, we would all be flaming that person saying that they needed to give the device at least a week. For me, it wasn't so much that I knew the Q10 wasn't as "good" as the Z10 after a day's use... it was the fact that after a day's use, the shine had already worn off. It really felt like the a 9900 with BB10 minus the track pad. And there were one thing that could never change even if I had given the Q10 a month long trial... the screen size. Having used the Z10 for almost four months before getting the Q10 really spoiled me.

The good thing is that the Q10 is still in my household. I still pick up my wife's Q10 daily and play around with it. But the screen size and the amazing keyboard of the Z10 just had me at "hello". Everything coming from the Q10 I had experienced before... but the Z10 to this day, continues to astound and amaze me.

At some point I'm going to propose a month-long trial swap with my wife so I can see what it really feels like to have the Q10 as my daily driver. My fear doing this however are, a) she'll love the Z10 and not want to give it back and b) she doesn't baby her devices like I do so the Z10 is guaranteed to get some dings in it being tossed about!
    j21jam6 likes this.
    05-31-13 02:06 PM

Thanks for the insights!
    You are a hardcore BB guy (gal?) if you went from a Nexus to a Curve 8530!!! Obviously you're all about getting things done and not watching YouTube vids all day!

If you get the Q10, you WILL be happy.. especially coming off an 8530. Is the 8530 is the latest BB in your cell phone collection, than get ready to be blown away by the Q10... It is an amazing device! Yes, the Z10 screen is much roomier, but if you're productive on a Curve screen, the Q10 will seem like a major step up in screen real estate. If you like physical keyboards (and it seems that way since you were willing to sacrifice the superior performing Nexus for the Curve's accurate typing) than there is no debate.. the Q10 must be your next device.

HOWEVER, if you are looking for a completely new typing experience, than give the Z10 a try. You know you'll type well on the Q10. You don't even have to own one to know that. But the Z10, that'll be a whole new experience for you all together. If you're feeling adventurous, get the Z. If you want a sure thing, get the Q!
    05-31-13 02:16 PM
61 123