I travelled to China last week and since I'm a BB subscriber in India I was aware of the prohibitive cost of BB services on international roaming.
    So I borrowed a friend's spare Android phone and bought a local pre-paid SIM card in China.
    Luckily pre-paid SIM cards in China have mobile internet active by default. So I thought life would be simple as I could access my mail through the Android phone.
    But I really wanted my BBM, which is when the eureka moment hit.
    I activated the Wifi hotspot feature on the Android and connected my Torch over wifi to the android phone, and immediately BB connected to the RIM NOC over wifi and my mails and BBM were active throughout while bypassing the mobile network ( I had data connection set to off while roaming).
    I was totally kicked with the concept when the Android phone died at 3:30 PM ( it was fully charged in the morning along with the Torch), while my Torch still had 75% battery on it.
    That's when I realised that RIM's obsession with battery life is a huge selling point.
    The fact is that I was in China on business and needed my BBM and mails active, I didn't care about angry birds or iOS games at that point.
    The BB lasted with wifi and mobile network on, while the android just gave up mid-afternoon.
    Needless to say that I had to put my BB's data network on at that point.
    Just a point to consider for all the Android and iOS fans out there.
    When you really need it the BB will be there. Android and iOS, well it will be there when it deems it fit to be there.
    Mvor7 and Amy wineBerry like this.
    07-24-11 04:18 PM
    I had a chance to mess with a friends thunderbolt this weekend - it was actually a nice phone. Decent size - nice screen resolution. I think if I ever had to switch to an android phone that would probably be it. When I asked him about battery life he just shook his head.

I can sometimes get 2 full days out of my 9650 per charge. And while I dont do a bunch of texting or streaming - I do a considerable amount of emailing and phone work on the go.
    07-25-11 07:44 AM
    You cannot compare a phone that you use as a wifi router to one you use on wifi. A Droid 3 can easily get 2 days on a charge in normal use. If used like a BB - just testing, you could get even more.
    07-25-11 08:00 AM
    This battery life crap Is getting old. It depends on how you use your phone. I get 16+ hours out my Evo using it like a normal phone. Obviously things such as 3d gaming and Skype will drain the battery in a few hours. And its not angry birds man.. its the legend of zelda! Best game on android. And don't give me the android isn't for businessmen crap. I'm 23 and building my company from the ground up using an Android power device. And another thing.. if you're so concerned about battery life.. underclock the android and it'll go for days upon days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 09:36 AM
    Lol comparing a phone thats being used as a wifi hotspot to one that has wifi on.
    07-25-11 12:50 PM
    I don't know how it is that you people get such good battery life. This is one argument that has never held up for me personally. My phone dies so fast. Even with just the 4 default programs running in the background.
    07-25-11 01:46 PM
    I think it would have been a better comparison of battery life comparing using the Android as a wifi hotspot to a Mifi device.

With as much as I use my Tour, I get 6-8 hours of use before needing to charge it. I get similar results with my SGS. I depends more on how you use your device (BB or Android) and how you have it configured. BlackBerry definitely is tuned well for low battery use when not being used (standby).

I think the bigger thing that goes into this is that since your email goes through the NOC, it is much easier for you to get email on your BB. It is also Kudos to Android, since it gave you the opportunity to connect your BB via wifi while in another country. Sounds like if you didn't have the Android device, you would be very limited on being able to use your BB.
    07-25-11 02:11 PM
    This battery life crap Is getting old. It depends on how you use your phone.
    I really don't think it is crap. I have a second phone which is a pay-as-you-go which just sits on my desk, very few people have the number and sometimes only 1 or 2 calls per week come in. I have the SIM in a BB Pearl 8100 and it will go for about 1 week between charges.

I also have a G2 Android (which I am trying to sell by the way) so last week I put the SIM in the G2. The G2 even has an extended capacity 1800 mAh battery, I turned off all updates, I switched to 2G only and with nothing running in the background, no phone calls it can only last for 2 days. I kept charging the G2, even switched to another battery and still the same, 2 days. The Pearl was last changed on Saturday and is now showing 80%.
    07-25-11 02:36 PM
    I don't care if the battery lasts a week, if the phone sucks who cares?
    It doesn't take much juice to run that spinning hourglass I guess.

This battery life crap Is getting old. It depends on how you use your phone. I get 16+ hours out my Evo using it like a normal phone. Obviously things such as 3d gaming and Skype will drain the battery in a few hours. And its not angry birds man.. its the legend of zelda! Best game on android. And don't give me the android isn't for businessmen crap. I'm 23 and building my company from the ground up using an Android power device. And another thing.. if you're so concerned about battery life.. underclock the android and it'll go for days upon days

07-25-11 02:36 PM

Android is such a good business device that the CEO of google even uses one...

Oh wait
    07-25-11 03:15 PM
    I use my Berry pretty much the same as I did when I had my Androids (Stock) and I don't care how much you tell me, one thing we will always have is our battery life.

I charge my 9700 every nigh as it just is habit (Probably thanks to the Androids as it was once sometimes twice a day.) I am usually anywhere from 60 to 50% left and that is talking/texting/BBMing/streaming, this and that. Basically the same stuff I did on all my Androids....

So you guys/gals keep justifying about well it is an Android, so we use it more than a BB. May be a case for some, but not me....I actually use my BB more than I ever did on my Android. Even my browser is just used as much....OMG NO WAI'S!!!

07-25-11 03:18 PM
    I use my Berry pretty much the same as I did when I had my Androids (Stock) and I don't care how much you tell me, one thing we will always have is our battery life.

I charge my 9700 every nigh as it just is habit (Probably thanks to the Androids as it was once sometimes twice a day.) I am usually anywhere from 60 to 50% left and that is talking/texting/BBMing/streaming, this and that. Basically the same stuff I did on all my Androids....

So you guys/gals keep justifying about well it is an Android, so we use it more than a BB. May be a case for some, but not me....I actually use my BB more than I ever did on my Android. Even my browser is just used as much....OMG NO WAI'S!!!

When I had my droid 2 - the back of the phone used to get uncomfortably hot when surfing or streaming for a short time. Never experienced that with my BB.
    07-25-11 03:27 PM
    When I had my droid 2 - the back of the phone used to get uncomfortably hot when surfing or streaming for a short time. Never experienced that with my BB.
    That's because with a BB phone, the only thing you get is poor resolution.

Try streaming on a playbook, the back gets hot as a mother.....

Honestly, this is like comparing a honda civic to a bmw m3...

Why does the m3 get less mpg???.....LOL
    07-25-11 03:42 PM
    I think it would have been a better comparison of battery life comparing using the Android as a wifi hotspot to a Mifi device.

With as much as I use my Tour, I get 6-8 hours of use before needing to charge it. I get similar results with my SGS. I depends more on how you use your device (BB or Android) and how you have it configured. BlackBerry definitely is tuned well for low battery use when not being used (standby).

I think the bigger thing that goes into this is that since your email goes through the NOC, it is much easier for you to get email on your BB. It is also Kudos to Android, since it gave you the opportunity to connect your BB via wifi while in another country. Sounds like if you didn't have the Android device, you would be very limited on being able to use your BB.
    Yes the Android did come through in a patch. The wifi hotspot feature did make things a lot easier.
    I was even toying with idea of buying an Android as a spare, but managing two numbers would drive me nuts.
    07-25-11 04:06 PM
    That's because with a BB phone, the only thing you get is poor resolution.

Try streaming on a playbook, the back gets hot as a mother.....

Honestly, this is like comparing a honda civic to a bmw m3...

Why does the m3 get less mpg???.....LOL
    I'm not talking about streaming HD video when that thing would get hot - just surfing the net - catching a youtube video or 2.

Yeah and I dont get the metaphor - is BB the civic?
    07-25-11 04:27 PM
    when I still had my bold...the battery life is horrible! The curve series didn't have as bad of battery life, but my bold was a nightmare. That thing would always have a near dead battery.
    07-25-11 05:45 PM
    when I still had my bold...the battery life is horrible! The curve series didn't have as bad of battery life, but my bold was a nightmare. That thing would always have a near dead battery.
    I get about 4 days out of my Bold with a Mugen 1800mAh battery and about 3 days from the standard battery.
    07-25-11 06:35 PM
    Exactly. If I sat around and watched movies on my Bold, I bet it would die within 5-6 hours, if not sooner. Same concept with turning the Droid into a wifi hotspot.
    Which.. Is a good argument for dedicated devices. BB phone for messaging and a tablet for media; that's my take.

07-25-11 06:48 PM
    The thing that was great about Blackberry when in China is that by having an always on VPN from the phone to the BIS. I was able to get content from the US, unfiltered by the great Firewall of China. Surfing on the hotel Internet was a PITA, except when I used a corporate VPN, because stuff was randomly blocked or you get rerouted to the Chinese version of a site. Blackberry was great quick browsing, google maps, and BBM with the family. BIS takes a lot of knocks, and it definitely needs to be improved, but especially when working in countries where freedom of information isn't the norm, it is qreat.
    07-25-11 07:54 PM
    when I still had my bold...the battery life is horrible!
    Shouldn't be on a stock device without a bunch of apps polling services all the time. If so then the battery is bad or there is an hardware issue.

07-25-11 08:03 PM
    Wifi hotspot is a winner. If I get a used MiFi from rogers, i'll have it unlocked for WINDMobile, load it up prepaid and then, since it'll be roaming most of the time, not care and just use that when traveling when I do go out of the country again. I don't own an ios or droid phone at all, it would come in handy. Good post. Now if only the darn trolls wouldn't be dissing and just complimenting the poster.

sam_b77 likes this.
    07-25-11 08:14 PM
    Those made in hongkong, china extended batteries rated at 2600 mAh or 3000 mAh at $12 are a godsend! They're sold on ebay with free shipping

EDIT: PS. Android users, go get one of those aftermarket extended batteries. You'll be glad you did! (not trolling at all, this is a suggestion)

07-25-11 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD