Every two years, Canadians get a taste of freedom, as their contracts finish and they get to shop around for a new, overpriced plan and phone. After significant propositions on Twitter (Rogers surprisingly listens on social media), I was convinced into a high data, low cost plan - a concept I did not know existed in Canada.

Then came the smartphone upgrade question. Which device to choose from? I caved and got a Galaxy S6 Edge...

GASP!

...and will be selling in order to save money for a new BlackBerry device! I'm sticking to my Z30 and will keep the savings towards a (hopefully soon) release of an all-touch BlackBerry.

I BLACKBERRY

Why I got a Galaxy S6 Edge...-rick-roll-shirt.jpg
    Last edited by chabouma; 04-16-15 at 06:46 PM.
    04-14-15 10:30 PM
    Cool story bro, but I don't believe Rogers has high data and low cost LOL.
    04-14-15 10:36 PM
    So you locked yourself into a contract to sale the S6 in hopes of getting the next Blackberry touch phone.... Smart move...
    04-14-15 10:37 PM
    Unlimited Data for three months, then 4 GB at $70. A definitive improvement over the 1GB at 90$ I was paying... but you're right, still doesn't qualify as low cost lol

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 10:44 PM
    Unlimited Data for three months, then 4 GB at $70. A definitive improvement over the 1GB at 90$ I was paying... but you're right, still doesn't qualify as low cost lol

Posted via CB10
    Here's what I have with Telus... unfortunately when the Z10 came out I had to up my contract for data usage. But here comes the best part, because I love BlackBerry and understand that they don't release devices every 6-10 months like Apple and Samsung, I appreciate the fact that I am able to stick with something that allows me to be comfortable in my own shell rather than having a new deal thrown at me for no reason; or simply just because a company justifies a new device, how is it any different from its previous one? BlackBerry on the other hand, they justify this in a way that people like myself who own a Z30 (or Z10 owners), will eventually upgrade to something of the "Glide/Slider" or something in late 2016 not yet on the road-map.

Telus has thrown deal after deal after deal at me... so what have I done? Told them that's not going to happen, when I am good and ready, I will buy a BlackBerry device of my choosing, and when I do, they won't know. Thus, I will be keeping my $50 a month grandfather plan which I've had for 5 years at bay. I won't renew my contract next February, I'll still pay the same $55 a month* Yeah I only get 1GB of data and 200 minutes a month during the day, but seriously.. I have "My 10" which is great because I can connect to all my cousins across Ontario who live in long-distant area codes. I don't use my Data as much, I simply come home if I need to.

Gosh darn it, I sure love Telus... wish I hadn't bought my Z10 through Telus... otherwise, I'd be paying $30 a month right now for the past 2 and half years. Ah well, such is life ^_^
    extisis likes this.
    04-14-15 10:59 PM
    Op sell your S6 on kijiji while it still got good value because its still a current phone. Then find yourself a good deal for a Passport on kijiji.

Long live Blackberry.
    04-15-15 12:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    I got 6GB for $30. Gotta love old and retention plans.
    04-15-15 12:12 PM
    Retention plans are the best, I have 10gb of data and unlimited calling for $50 a month.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 12:16 PM
    Are you going to use the S6 while you wait to sell it?
    04-15-15 12:51 PM
    Isn't there an ETF involved somewhere? I am assuming you bought it locked? Just saying I am not really seeing much profit room for this phone. But I agree with the poster above about selling it as soon as you can.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    04-15-15 02:47 PM
    Cool story bro, but I don't believe Rogers has high data and low cost LOL.
    Yeah, they pushed us into going from 8gb (retent plan as well) down to 6gb for $5 MORE per month last fall. Maybe it was $10. Either way, more money for less data. In my research this appears to be the norm across carriers in Canada, with the exception of the small regional players.

What I don't understand is why my wife and I have separate upgrade intervals and contracts when we merged our accounts years ago. Hers is up in Dec this year, but mine was up in sept last year. Makes no sense for a family plan, especially considering my old account is closed. Bottom line, these companies don't make any damned sense lol...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 03:16 PM
    It makes sense to them as long as they got your money.

What I don't understand is why my wife and I have separate upgrade intervals and contracts when we merged our accounts years ago. Hers is up in Dec this year, but mine was up in sept last year. Makes no sense for a family plan, especially considering my old account is closed. Bottom line, these companies don't make any damned sense lol...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 05:52 PM
    ROTFL! Yep, we all come back, after 4 BlackBerry s I went to Nexus 4 which literally gave me eye aches, really, none since getting my z30.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 06:51 PM
    As soon as it gets shipped, I'm selling it boxed and locked.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by chabouma; 04-15-15 at 11:15 PM.
    04-15-15 10:55 PM
    I bought the phone with a $600 subsidy over two years. In theory, any day on a contract without a phone amortized by your carrier is opportunity cost wasted.

I specifically chose the S6 as it has the highest carrier subsidy of any phone on the market. If I sell it immediately, I make $800 revenue. Subtract the carrier upgrade fee of $200, and I receive a net profit of $600.

That net profit will be used towards a new blackberry device at (hopefully) $699. At this point, my net cost for the new blackberry is $99

Had I waited to upgrade, I would still have had to pay a $200 upgrade fee, and my new contract would start at that point (a later date)

Total savings: $101.00

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 11:12 PM
    I do not know about other Canadian carriers, but this is what I have been told from Rogers.

If I get any phone from the "smartphone" category (as opposed to cheaper "smartpicks") from Rogers, I would be paying $20 more per month, compared to just buying data from Rogers.

Considering that a contract is usually two years, that means $20 x 24 months = $480. And added to that, since top smartphones usually are not free with contract, you are paying more on top of the $480 you would be paying over the 2 years.

And since I could find the Z30 for less than $480 outside of Rogers, I went that way instead.

Now I realize that carrier bought phones actually cost more in the long run too, so I always advise my friends to buy their phones out right.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    04-15-15 11:43 PM
    I bought the phone with a $600 subsidy over two years.
    OP, we understand how contracts and subsidies work.

We're just skeptical that your per month bill on contract is actually cheaper than your per month bill off contract. The premium you must pay on your monthly bill over time on contract sums up to likely more than the $600 subsidy you receive .

But it's your money. *Shrug*
    04-16-15 12:02 AM
    Every two years, Canadians get a taste of freedom, as their contracts finish and they get to shop around for a new, overpriced plan and phone.
    I'm not sure if this is a surprise to you, but there are some Canadians who enjoy freedom more often than once every two years. Some of us enjoy it on a daily basis, even - at least when it comes to mobile phones and contracts. Buying phones outright is the way to go, whether you can afford to do it with a brand new device or get one used. The savings are well worth it and they become more and more valuable with each new batch of contracts the carriers push out.

I save over 30 dollars per month with the plan that I am on versus current plans that offer the exact same features.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    skstrials and anon(9353145) like this.
    04-16-15 12:14 AM
    Wow how do you guys manage to get sweet deals like that on Rogers, Bell and Telus? I am on wind and might switch to one of the three but they are quoting me ridiculous prices that made me laugh. All my other home services are with rogers, think I can use that as leverage to get a better wireless deal? I already have a factory unlocked Z30 so I will just be using that.
    TGR1 likes this.
    04-16-15 09:20 AM
    I got 6GB for $30. Gotta love old and retention plans.
    Me too. I hope they allow me to keep it when my contract comes up for renewal next year, but I bet they'll claim some silly excuse like "it no longer exists".
    04-16-15 09:22 AM
    I don't understand how you're making a $600 profit from selling the phone, a portion of your monthly bill goes to paying the subsidy I thought. Your reasoning seems a little off to me
    MehdiQ likes this.
    04-16-15 10:19 AM
    Carriers LOVE family plans for just this reason: staggered upgrade intervals, which means that someone on your family plan is always under contract, and because of that, it's almost impossible to leave that carrier because if you want to switch, you have to pay an ETF, something few people are willing to do. Thus, the carrier can count on getting your money year after year.
    04-16-15 10:46 AM
    Me too. I hope they allow me to keep it when my contract comes up for renewal next year, but I bet they'll claim some silly excuse like "it no longer exists".
    They will make you change it, unless of course you lower yourself by stomping and complaining and threatening like a child. Then they will send you to the "retention department" where you might be given a deal.

Simply asking for a deal or explaining what plan features you want and what price you would like to pay is insufficient, because the people who answer the phone and their supervisors aren't allowed to haggle, at all.

The only good thing about Rogers is their network, which works very well in Ontario.
    04-16-15 10:51 AM
    The subsidy is recouped in the monthly bill,
    so other than having the phone you really want.
    I don't see any real advantage to this.
    04-16-15 11:42 AM
    They will make you change it, unless of course you lower yourself by stomping and complaining and threatening like a child. Then they will send you to the "retention department" where you might be given a deal.

Simply asking for a deal or explaining what plan features you want and what price you would like to pay is insufficient, because the people who answer the phone and their supervisors aren't allowed to haggle, at all.

The only good thing about Rogers is their network, which works very well in Ontario.
    Friend of mine is grandfathered on a Bell plan with 5GB and whatever else. His contract is coming up but was told he'd have the option to go Month to Month on his existing plan. However, if he wanted to get a new subsidized phone he'd be put on a new contract and not allowed to keep the old plan - unless perhaps if he griped and got sent to Customer Loyalty / Retention I guess.

I always advise my friends to go with unlocked phones - greater freedom to negotiate with carriers, buying international sims when travelling, and yes a cheaper plan with the same features as a more expensive plan with a subsidized phone. It's the way to go if you can afford it, imho.
    04-16-15 03:14 PM
46 12