Snip...Apple is a very capitalistic and money hungry company due to supply and demand.
    Yeah, they should be more like Blackberry. /s

The Apple fixation continues.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-11-13 01:16 PM
    Nah. I want them to be number one and to bask in the golden glory that comes with such stature.

I want them to pillage through Apple and Android while stepping on Windows phones as if they were ants.

I will stand in front of their doorsteps and demand they take my money.

Plain and simple: yes, I want them to be on top. *shrug*

Posted from my ZED10
    07-11-13 01:55 PM
    Read my lips, or my mind, I really want Blackberry to succeed and to go up in market share, but if you asked me if I wanted Blackberry to be number one? I would have given you a straight no.

It's simple, look at Apple and how powerhungry it has become since the iPhone took off. Overpriced phones, services and media content, left and right. Apple knows they have the ability to fix prices and to me that is disgusting business. Their recent charge for fixing E-book prices is a result of incumbent power turned bad.

So, no, I want Blackberry to be cool, but not number one, if it means I will be able to enjoy my phones for every cent I pay for them. There should never be a competing brand to curb Blackberry ever, like Android is to iOS, and Microsoft, you can take third spot for all I care.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    I agree, I selfishly wouldn't want to see them at #1 either. I love the platform and the potential, and I think if they magically reclaimed the top spot the innovations would dry up. That's exactly what happened to them before. It's also what happened to Apple (who is now reimagining their OS as a result).

Better that they're profitable and always 'hungry' for more. That leads to innovations.

I think the mobile race is pretty much over at this point, and it's on to 'the next thing' anyway. We'll still use mobile devices but just like Microsoft and Apple cemented the top 2 positions on the desktop, I think Android and Apple have taken those positions in mobile.
    07-11-13 02:01 PM
    Honestly i dont care who is number one as long as there is healthy competition pushing every company to do their best.
    07-11-13 02:06 PM
    If you didn't like the price of the Z10 in the beginning, you just had to wait a while. The phone is currently selling for far less than I paid for mine, but funnily enough, I don't care. I got the phone I wanted with the features I wanted and needed.
    The decline in price so soon after launch is the result of poorer than expected sell-through; it's not some kind of BBRY customer benefit.

And at least the price came down... unlike Apple's products which don't seem to be lowering in price (except when they've been replaced by newer products) AND they're fixing prices for 3rd party sellers and e-books.
    This would be so much more effective as an argument if falling prices were a good thing for the company. But, with a loss last quarter and a loss predicted in the current quarter during the last earnings call, lower prices is exactly what BBRY does not need.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-11-13 02:34 PM
    The decline in price so soon after launch is the result of poorer than expected sell-through; it's not some kind of BBRY customer benefit.

This would be so much more effective as an argument if falling prices were a good thing for the company. But, with a loss last quarter and a loss predicted in the current quarter during the last earnings call, lower prices is exactly what BBRY does not need.

Q10 had the highest price for a BlackBerry phone in awhile. But if prices were to be risen to Apple 's levels, I'm afraid the company doesn't have the brand power to pull the high prices off.

I think at this point Blackberry can only push Q10s or qwerty models at higher prices because of the value proposition of Blackberry's reputation as a dominant QWERTY phone manufacturer. Other than that, not much.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 07:09 PM
    Q10 had the highest price for a BlackBerry phone in awhile. But if prices were to be risen to Apple 's levels, I'm afraid the company doesn't have the brand power to pull the high prices off.
    That's exactly what they've been trying to do. Z10 prices are comparable to the iphone 5 and s4.
    07-12-13 06:44 AM
    That's exactly what they've been trying to do. Z10 prices are comparable to the iphone 5 and s4.
    But in terms of specs, the Z10 is pound for pound is better on paper and certainly in price...if it isn't for the build quality and metallic build and the brand name and the other things that make an Apple product special, the Z10 should be by all measures be the more expensive phone...

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 07:39 AM
    Read my lips, or my mind, I really want Blackberry to succeed and to go up in market share, but if you asked me if I wanted Blackberry to be number one? I would have given you a straight no.

It's simple, look at Apple and how powerhungry it has become since the iPhone took off. Overpriced phones, services and media content, left and right. Apple knows they have the ability to fix prices and to me that is disgusting business. Their recent charge for fixing E-book prices is a result of incumbent power turned bad.

So, no, I want Blackberry to be cool, but not number one, if it means I will be able to enjoy my phones for every cent I pay for them. There should never be a competing brand to curb Blackberry ever, like Android is to iOS, and Microsoft, you can take third spot for all I care.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10

Your point and sentiment are well made and I share them.

As LENDO has rightly expressed, shareholders are real reason Blackberry is in business and sad to say, they sail the ship and pirates do not sale the seven seas for no profit.

They would have a vote and tell Thor to "walk the plank mi-hearty"
    07-12-13 09:01 AM
    07-12-13 09:48 AM
    But in terms of specs, the Z10 is pound for pound is better on paper and certainly in price...if it isn't for the build quality and metallic build and the brand name and the other things that make an Apple product special, the Z10 should be by all measures be the more expensive phone...

Posted via CB10
    While I respect your opinion, I totally disagree that the Z10 is better.
    07-12-13 01:43 PM
    Pretty good article. I think it's becoming obvious that Blackberry is going to have a hard time competing with Apple and Samsung. Maybe they should go back to being a business phone, but they would need to improve BB10 and bring back features that OS7 had.
    07-12-13 01:48 PM
    While I respect your opinion, I totally disagree that the Z10 is better.
    Specs wise it is better, I said...

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 11:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    What specs? Maybe iPhone 5 but no way SGS4.

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. iPhone 5, HTC One, and BlackBerry Z10 | Smartphones - CNET Reviews
    07-13-13 08:51 AM
    I want to see them be #1 100% I think us loyal BB users deserve all the benefits that would come from BB being number 1 again for example..(the availability of accessories, every app you could dream of, continued high quality devices..etc..) If not 1, I would settle for #2! I don't think it would change things if they were number one, things would just keep getting better and better.
    07-13-13 09:07 AM
    I want to see them be #1 100% I think us loyal BB users deserve all the benefits that would come from BB being number 1 again for example..(the availability of accessories, every app you could dream of, continued high quality devices..etc..) If not 1, I would settle for #2! I don't think it would change things if they were number one, things would just keep getting better and better.
    They could be #3 (more likely) and you could still get all those things if they sell a solid product to, say, 15% of the market. Thinking they will be #1 again I believe is just a dream.
    07-13-13 09:11 AM
    I've read a few times that Betamax was technically better than VHS, and the Philips system was better than both of them.

Regardless of the truth of that, specs are only part of the story... maybe important to a geeky few () but to the average consumer? .. maybe not so important.
    07-13-13 09:32 AM
    This doesn't make sense. BlackBerry has no choice to aim at number one or else they wouldn't be a business at all. The more laid back approach they take the more they lose market share. Think of how any people have an iPhone ? 5 out of 10? And The rest have Androids with occasional blackberry user. Now, if they don't aim for number one, people will just forget about blackberry and all new customers will just go with Apple. BlackBerry has no choice to be hungry or else it spells disaster.

Posted with my Z10
    07-13-13 10:39 AM
    Wonder why then Apple devices are frequently in the news for thiefs stealing in bulk:
    Thief steals iPhones, leaves Samsung Galaxy | Technically Incorrect - CNET News
    Surly they should be going after the higher spec'd devices. /s

Speculation is the thief used the Samsung Galaxy device to prop open the door. Good use of specs.
    07-13-13 10:48 AM
    The only problem with your logic is that the prices of Blackberry phones are equal to the iPhone and higher end Android phones. At least when they launched they were.

I guarantee you the price wouldn't have dropped on the Z10 and the playbook if sales were high. It's supply and demand. Apple and Android can charge their prices because they have massive sales. Blackberry wants to but can't because they aren't a player right now in the market. You can't fault those companies for their prices if people are willing to pay them. Look at the 9900 when it was launched. It was way behind the times even then and BB still charged a ridiculous price for it. I'm all for BB coming back but the talk of "Oh we are the little guy looking out for the consumer" is nonsense. They want to charge higher prices, but can't right now until they get more demand for their phones. And if you think the Aristo won't be $299 on contract when it's released then you are crazy. They will feel the market out at that price point and THEN if it isn't selling they will drop the price.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    07-13-13 10:52 AM
    The only problem with your logic is that the prices of Blackberry phones are equal to the iPhone and higher end Android phones. At least when they launched they were.

I guarantee you the price wouldn't have dropped on the Z10 and the playbook if sales were high. It's supply and demand. Apple and Android can charge their prices because they have massive sales. Blackberry wants to but can't because they aren't a player right now in the market. You can't fault those companies for their prices if people are willing to pay them. Look at the 9900 when it was launched. It was way behind the times even then and BB still charged a ridiculous price for it. I'm all for BB coming back but the talk of "Oh we are the little guy looking out for the consumer" is nonsense. They want to charge higher prices, but can't right now until they get more demand for their phones. And if you think the Aristo won't be $299 on contract when it's released then you are crazy. They will feel the market out at that price point and THEN if it isn't selling they will drop the price.
    But isn't the iPhone more expensive, unlocked, right off the bat, fresh from release, than almost every phone in the market?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 08:18 PM
    But isn't the iPhone more expensive, unlocked, right off the bat, fresh from release, than almost every phone in the market?

Posted via CB10
    Again, supply and demand.
    07-13-13 08:19 PM
47 12