The first time I began looking for a tablet was before the iPad was released. All that was available were cheap Android tablets from china running Android 1.5-2.0 - featuring pixelated resistive touchscreens that required a fingernail or stylus - and a max of 4GB of storage.

Not long after the introduction of the iPad was the release of Android 3.0 Honeycomb. Out of the first wave of these Android tablets there was one obvious winner: the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. At first Android 3.0 was considered to be 'unfinished'. In fact, it took almost the entire 8 months I owned the Transformer for me to find a custom ROM that was perfectly smooth and featured incredible battery life. With the release of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich this was all ruined and my tablet was once again laggy.

I had recently played with a Blackberry Playbook and was impressed with how fast and fluid the OS was. It was at this point that I sold my Android tablet and bought a PlayBook - and I couldn't be happier. Here are my reasons on why you should choose a Balckberry PlayBook over an Android tablet, and even over the iPad:

The OS
    Android has always been known to be laggy. Moving from screen to screen there is always noticeable jitter in the transition. Sometimes you can fix this - by installing a custom Laucher or ROM - but it shouldn't be necessary, even for people who love to tweak like many Android users including myself. When you compare the PlayBook OS to Apple's iOS even iDevices have their fair share of lag. Moving to the spotlight search often causes the keyboard to momentarily freeze and it has even been said that iOS apps crash more often than Android's counterparts. The PlayBook has an awesome method of receiving notifications and makes great use of gestures for multitasking.
    The Size

My previous tablet was usual tablet size - 10". It was the same screen size as the iPad, and many other tablets despite it's widescreen aspect ratio. I've used the iPad and tried out dozens of Android tablet and in my opinion 10" is just too big. I've personally decided that a 7" tablet is the size for me, and if that's true it could be the same for many others. The PlayBook's size makes complicated games like first-person shooters and role-playing games easier to control than ever.
    The Apps

What, the PlayBook has apps?! Yes. It does. The PlayBook comes with many great apps already installed - and even an email app (contrary to public opinion). Obviously the Blackberry App World doesn't have as many apps as the iOS app store or even the Google Play store - but it has all of the essentials I need. I got a great Reddit app, Grooveshark, and many more. I also found some great games: Modern Combat, Eternal Legacy, Plants vs. Zombies, and on. What about some other essentials like Skype and Steam? The PlayBook makes it easy to side load converted android BAR files. Just download the DDPB Installer and use it to install any app from the massive list at playbookbars.com.
    What else? The PlayBook has a beautiful screen, an amazing solid build, nice loud speakers, and best of all your are supporting a Canadian business in continuing to make great products like this (Unless for some reason you hate Canadians, but you wouldn't be like that would you?). I wouldn't hesitate recommending anyone the $199 Blackberry PlayBook.
    Source: Why I Ditched my Android Tablet and went to PlayBook | AnythingGeek
    04-10-12 07:25 PM
    My HP Touchpad is running ICS 4.0.4 just fine.
    Dual core overclocked to 1.7ghz. Cyanogen 9 based ROM.
    Battery is fine.
    I don't need a bridge to get my email LOL.
    04-10-12 09:30 PM
    I'm pleased with my Playbook. It is very underrated.
    04-10-12 09:32 PM
    Battery is fine.
    Neither does the PlayBook. What rock have you been living under the last two months. And what bearing does any of this have on the author's reasons for ditching Android? Have you tried the PlayBook? Perhaps there's lag in your device that you are not aware of having not used something that could actually be a better performer, hard as that may be to believe.
    04-10-12 10:08 PM
    Neither does the PlayBook. What rock have you been living under the last two months. And what bearing does any of this have on the author's reasons for ditching Android? Have you tried the PlayBook? Perhaps there's lag in your device that you are not aware of having not used something that could actually be a better performer, hard as that may be to believe.
    The op was favorable to RIM and the playbook. Of course it must be shot down with snark. This wouldn't be crackberry if it didn't.
    04-10-12 10:41 PM
    I agree with everything in the article cited by the OP. I have a PlayBook, a TouchPad (dual-booting Android ICS and webOS), and a Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I have a huge problem with honeycomb based android tablets and wants to throw the Galaxy Tab out the window sometimes. It's slow, buggy, and the worst part I'm still waiting for the ICS update. The ICS running on the TouchPad is pretty good, but it's no where as fluid as the UI in the PlayBook (not even talking about the gesture based UI). I CANNOT stand using home buttons and the task button after using the PlayBook.

I use the PlayBook the most, use my TouchPad to play Draw Something (which is pretty much it), and don't use the Galaxy Tab 10.1 at all (I gave it to my bro to use).
    04-11-12 12:58 AM

Having used both, my TP isn't even clocked higher than its 1.5 rating and outperforms my co-workers Playbook using the latest OS2 build. Its faster moving between apps, its faster responding to swipes, and I have Netflix (which really grinds his gears).

For the sake of disclosure, its running the newest WebOS build and latest CyanogenMod 9 ICS. I've put it against his in both OS's. And even with the wifi bug in ICS I hold a better connection than his PB (a problem he has dealt with from launch).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    04-11-12 01:24 AM
    I would take a samsung galaxy tab 7+ over a PB 101 times out of a 100. even at 50% higher price.

THE PB does have a very nice UI, but it simply does not do anything i NEED. yes, i am in the skype, netflix, car navigation desiring bucket
    04-11-12 06:50 AM
    I would take a samsung galaxy tab 7+ over a PB 101 times out of a 100. even at 50% higher price.

THE PB does have a very nice UI, but it simply does not do anything i NEED. yes, i am in the skype, netflix, car navigation desiring bucket
    Nothing wrong with that at all. If they PB couldn't do what I wanted it to I wouldn't have bought it either.
    04-11-12 06:58 AM

So I guess you'll be happy with your galaxy. I agree with the OP but it is all personal opinion.
    04-11-12 06:59 AM
    I have the Touchpad and the Playbook. I don't know what special Touchpads some of y'all bought but although I like it...there is no way it is smoother than the Playbook. Even "over clocked"...which for the record is the most over hyped state for a device currently being bragged about on any forum in my opinion.

04-11-12 07:03 AM

I would take the Samsung gTab and throw it out the window, and continue using the pb

Video chat on the pb is better, Netflix is boring, and Magellan Compass + BlackBerry Traffic is the way to go
    04-11-12 07:08 AM
    I would take the Samsung gTab and throw it out the window, and continue using the pb

Video chat on the pb is better, Netflix is boring, and Magellan Compass + BlackBerry Traffic is the way to go

Which is why personal opinion comes into play because I have never even opened BB Traffic, nor Maps, because I find things like that boring and worthless to me. Netflix on the other hand allowed me to watch all of Mad Men in less than a week before the new season started and is something that *I* as a tvphile find invaluable.

And I had no issue skyping with my sister while she was in Pakistan interning using my TP. I have never used video chat prior to that or since, even on my iPhone with Facetime.

04-11-12 07:15 AM

You are persistent.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-11-12 07:30 AM
    First, thanks to the sensible replies.. I would love to have a PB, but until it can do things that i need, i use the best tool for the job.. and for me, i view that a tablet is nothing, and that apps are everything...tablet=toolbox, apps=tools

onwards.. (given there had to be one....)

1. a closed service like PB video chat is of zero value to me. I talk and chat with clients, colleagues, friends and family around the world. They are all on skype. Visit Europe, Caribbean, Asia and talk to people about communication... you will get an education.
    2. You clearly do not travel much. If you do not understand why offline maps are a requirement for solid car navigation performance i cant help you.
    3. Netflix may be boring to you, but given i (and millions of others) have paid for the service, it is expected to be able to use it

So, given you cannot get anywhere, read books, watch movies or talk to friends..as a matter of interest.. what do you actually DO with your playbook?..

04-11-12 07:31 AM
    First, thanks to the sensible replies.. I would love to have a PB, but until it can do things that i need, i use the best tool for the job.. and for me, i view that a tablet is nothing, and that apps are everything...tablet=toolbox, apps=tools

onwards.. (given there had to be one....)

1. a closed service like PB video chat is of zero value to me. I talk and chat with clients, colleagues, friends and family around the world. They are all on skype. Visit Europe, Caribbean, Asia and talk to people about communication... you will get an education.
    2. You clearly do not travel much. If you do not understand why offline maps are a requirement for solid car navigation performance i cant help you.
    3. Netflix may be boring to you, but given i (and millions of others) have paid for the service, it is expected to be able to use it

So, given you cannot get anywhere, read books, watch movies or talk to friends..as a matter of interest.. what do you actually DO with your playbook?..
    Well I wouldn't be face chatting even if it had skype. I can watch tv shows and movies, I don't travel that much and have never used or owned any gps of any kind. So I can get places without something telling me how to get there. I can read books. I can watch movies. I can talk to friends. I also do all kinds of other things. Are you saying that is all you do on your Android?

It's a good thing we all don't want or do the same things and not every brand is for everyone.
    berrydroidapple likes this.
    04-11-12 08:19 AM
    I don't think Mystic was necessarily downing the PB as much as giving practical reasons why he/she needed a device with an additional set of functionality.

For a lot of people, said functionality may not be needed, and the PB suits them.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Mystic205 likes this.
    04-11-12 08:25 AM
    I don't think Mystic was necessarily downing the PB as much as giving practical reasons why he/she needed a device with an additional set of functionality.

For a lot of people, said functionality may not be needed, and the PB suits them.

Mobile post via Tapatalk

The functionality exists, just not the preferred vendor.

04-11-12 08:34 AM
    Thank you all for reading my article and expressing all of your opinions. All I can say is that the people who posted here are much nicer than the people who who commented on my site itself

And thank you @Fazoz for posting it here!
    pkcable likes this.
    04-11-12 09:53 PM
    I have the Touchpad and the Playbook. I don't know what special Touchpads some of y'all bought but although I like it...there is no way it is smoother than the Playbook. Even "over clocked"...which for the record is the most over hyped state for a device currently being bragged about on any forum in my opinion.

Lots of good things can be achieved with proper kernel management, over clocking is only one. Yes, it does make a difference.
    04-11-12 11:04 PM
    I agree with his opinion on the hardware end. But the writer sort of implies that the PlayBook doesn't freeze up from time to time or the apps don't crash, which I'm sure has happened to all PlayBook owners at one point or another.
    04-12-12 08:51 AM
    I agree with his opinion on the hardware end. But the writer sort of implies that the PlayBook doesn't freeze up from time to time or the apps don't crash, which I'm sure has happened to all PlayBook owners at one point or another.
    Yes, I was just saying that Android is just simply slower not that the PlayBook OS was perfect. Also, Android feels like Windows to me - the more stuff you install it just seems to slow down - the PlayBook does not feel like that.

I knew that the PlayBook OS was great when I went to play with one in store and all of the Android tablet's had random apps installed and they were completely unusable. The PlayBook has tons of apps installed too but was as smooth as day one.

I don't know about crashes though. I've had an app crash on the PlayBook now like once. On Android you don't know what you're going to get, an app that was not made specifically for your device may not work at all.
    04-12-12 09:45 AM
    I agree with everything in the article cited by the OP. I have a PlayBook, a TouchPad (dual-booting Android ICS and webOS), and a Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I have a huge problem with honeycomb based android tablets and wants to throw the Galaxy Tab out the window sometimes. It's slow, buggy, and the worst part I'm still waiting for the ICS update. The ICS running on the TouchPad is pretty good, but it's no where as fluid as the UI in the PlayBook (not even talking about the gesture based UI). I CANNOT stand using home buttons and the task button after using the PlayBook.

I use the PlayBook the most, use my TouchPad to play Draw Something (which is pretty much it), and don't use the Galaxy Tab 10.1 at all (I gave it to my bro to use).
    the qnx ui is really very very nice.

I really love it, too.

For me I am missing a search-function, bridge-email or browser (in this case the "find a word on the website" etc. as I'm often searching for information and with it you can find what you need even on a big site...)

And of course a few apps, I really would love to use the 3mp! (this is still now top) front cam but have no software for it! (the only practical solution would be skype...)

Really hope to see the UI in BB10.
    04-13-12 03:09 PM
    The Playbook also has a dual core processor.
    Jeovex likes this.
    04-13-12 05:51 PM
    Battery is fine.
    Try getting your facts straight before you put LOL at the end of your message. The playbook has native e-mail...
    Jeovex likes this.
    04-13-12 06:00 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD