Hey this is just my opinion of why I'm with Blackberry instead of Android. I went down the path of Android yes, only to return back to Blackberry. I had the high end Android that was all fancy. But the battery life sucks, served more as a fancy toy than an actual phone. I must say that Blackberry is phone heaven really.

I'll admit I loved the new technology of Android, but it's not enough for me to switch over unless they have the Berry OS. I ask myself this, would I rather play a really awesome 8 bit game or a really crappy game with the newest fanciest graphics?

Same goes for my phone, as for now Blackberry remains the awesome 8 bit OS. I am by no means complaining, people are expecting too much from phones now a days, like " It better be 1 Ghz, have a front facing camera, 4 G, 2 Processors or I'm not even gonna look at it." Seriously you guys? Maybe we are getting to greedy here, what are our top priorities of a phone now a days?

It seems like now a days consumers/companies are putting the new glitz technology over the main components of what a phone should actually be able to do best. Which is at being a phone. As in the battery should be able to last you a day on normal usage, calls not dropping, working functional phone.

I agree that Blackberries priced around the same price points like the iphones/Androids seems unfair since they seem to have more higher end specs than the Blackberry.

I personally wish for RIM to put the new technology in their newer Blackberries, but I am definitely NOT going to switch over to iphone/Android again. I respect RIM though for doing what they do best, making a phone a phone as their top priority.
    manu7, BoldtotheMax and skyboxer like this.
    04-24-11 10:19 PM
    I agree - I'll take my BB's usability over a spec sheet any day. That being said, I think you're gonna be really happy with the new BB's due out in just a few months.
    04-24-11 10:35 PM
    Hey this is just my opinion of why I'm with Blackberry instead of Android. I went down the path of Android yes, only to return back to Blackberry. I had the high end Android that was all fancy. But the battery life sucks, served more as a fancy toy than an actual phone. I must say that Blackberry is phone heaven really.

I'll admit I loved the new technology of Android, but it's not enough for me to switch over unless they have the Berry OS. I ask myself this, would I rather play a really awesome 8 bit game or a really crappy game with the newest fanciest graphics?

Same goes for my phone, as for now Blackberry remains the awesome 8 bit OS. I am by no means complaining, people are expecting too much from phones now a days, like " It better be 1 Ghz, have a front facing camera, 4 G, 2 Processors or I'm not even gonna look at it." Seriously you guys? Maybe we are getting to greedy here, what are our top priorities of a phone now a days?

It seems like now a days consumers/companies are putting the new glitz technology over the main components of what a phone should actually be able to do best. Which is at being a phone. As in the battery should be able to last you a day on normal usage, calls not dropping, working functional phone.

I agree that Blackberries priced around the same price points like the iphones/Androids seems unfair since they seem to have more higher end specs than the Blackberry.

I personally wish for RIM to put the new technology in their newer Blackberries, but I am definitely NOT going to switch over to iphone/Android again. I respect RIM though for doing what they do best, making a phone a phone as their top priority.
    Yep, is true... Android is better, but the battery life sucks...
    Conclusion:
    Android: Better market & apps, better OS/Interface
    Blackberry: Better push notificacions (thx to BIS connection), better battery, and stability.. xDD
    Android VS Blackberry = BLACKBERRY
    04-24-11 10:48 PM
    Sometimes, different phones appeal to different people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Agreed, but Perspective has a point. OP sounds like she is happy, but seemingly wonders why folks would prefer improved (arguably) specs.

Truth is, most smartphones users don't want their phones to be just "phones." It can be argued that a growing number of people would forego the calling feature if they had to give up a major feature on their devices. Antennagate did little to curb the iPhone's popularity.

Having said all that, there is nothing better when one finds a device that fits their needs.
    04-24-11 10:49 PM
    going back to topic:
    why i choose Blackberry..

1. because i have the newest ipod touch and an iPad.
    and i have owned an iphone up to the 3GS line, PERSONALLY, BlackBerry works for me.

Now, following Perspective1 's rationale about numbers, then obviously, McDonalds have the best Burgers... Billions served.
    gordongr likes this.
    04-24-11 10:55 PM
    I switched from iPhone to blackberry bold 9780 a few weeks ago.

I was sick of touchscreens and just wanted a phone with a damn keyboard. I hardly ever browsed on the iPhone and downloaded apps. I'm very happy with my BB so far, it's great having a centralized location that for all my notifications, and now I actually enjoy texting people and writing emails on it. Simple things like making appointments in the calender are easy on BB because of the trackball and keyboard which were tedious and annoying on iPhone(which led me to just never bother using the calender on that anyways and forgetting tones of stuff).

Sometimes I look back and regret it a bit though because of the awesome hardware specs of higher end phones and all the massive amounts of apps they offer and the better browsing experience, but then I remember that those features are for the most part gimmicks that most people never use seriously. If I want to browse I just use a computer which I'm always near (At work and home). The BB doesn't need many apps because it already does everything it's meant for extremely well and most sites have mobile versions now anyways which is fine with me for the rare times I actually need them. It's also nice having a battery that lasts longer than five hours since all the juice isn't used to support high end hardware that isn't required for basic stuff like making calls and sending texts.

A lot of my friends act all smug about their flashy android phones and iPhones with touchscreens, high density pixel resolutions, the insane amount of apps they have access too (but never actually bother to download) and how fast their phone can load a website (but if they're almost always near a computer so use that for the most part anyways). I smile to myself when they try to do something as simple as send a text message or add a new contact with it and struggle with the clunky touchscreen keyboards and an OS running on overpowered hardware that still runs like a pig anyways because it's so bloated by apps and features that the average user would never use.

At the end of the day I wanted something that was a serious communication device that could easily channel all notifications to one centralized location for me, be reliable, have good battery life and be easy for me to send outgoing communications to other people. I got exactly what I wanted with my BB Bold. I understand that there are trade offs to get these things, but I haven't forgotten that Android and iPhone users made tradeoffs to get their high resolution large screen real estate displays. If I ever want to mess around with touchscreen apps and games I'll just pick up an iPad or or Android tablet in the future which would probably be better for those things than a phone anyways.
    Last edited by turqrazor; 04-24-11 at 11:04 PM.
    ILUMINATIUNDEAD likes this.
    04-24-11 10:55 PM
    going back to topic:

and i have owned an iphone up to the 3GS line, PERSONALLY, BlackBerry works for me.

Now, following Perspective1 's rationale about numbers, then obviously, McDonalds have the best Burgers... Billions served.
    Now, bold makes sense.. I can roll with that.

Not to speak for Perspective, but it's more like a new burger joint revving up and snatching market share from McDonalds (RIM) in a couple of years. Doesn't mean those new burgers are the best for everybody, but you better respect the efficacy of the recipe.
    04-24-11 11:01 PM
    The battery actually lasts, unlike my OG Droid.
    Both of them overheat though, which I don't like.
    I do enjoy the extra applications on my Droid though.
    But I really only use Twitter and Facebook so, the official apps for these work on my BB.
    Plus I also enjoy the News Feed official application, but the CNN and USA Today applications on my Droid are infact, much better.

There's pros and cons for both, in my opinion.
    I bounce back between the two until I can get a new device in 2012.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 04-24-11 at 11:34 PM.
    04-24-11 11:21 PM
    is always dead because my Blackberry husband keeps swiping it to play games.

I do miss the Blackberry battery, but I've loved the apps on my Android that make it easier to run my house, and not have to load up my computer to do anything.
    04-24-11 11:30 PM
    Another laughable thread....people are going to get what they want to get and use what they want to use, period..

Also these threads will never die, unfortunately.
    04-25-11 02:03 AM
    going back to topic:

I know its slightly off topic, but I prefer burger king lol! As for the phones, the bb torch (for the most part,) beats the iphone 3g in specs. Although the iphone 4 beats bb torch in most specs,it lacks the qwerty keyboard and standby battery power (these 2 things arre very important to me) and is more expensive. The torch is perfect for my need so I wouldn't want to give up my keyboard and (morew importantly) more money for something with more features that I would probably never use.
    As was previously stated ts all a matter of choice and when I go 2 get my new phone, I choose torch!

04-25-11 04:24 AM
    Ok, so I chose to have my cake and eat it too as they say. Yes, I like what Android gives you but I also think Blackberry makes the best "phone". What to do? Since I wanted a tablet, I purchased an Android tablet which meant I could then just ditch my Android phone (gave it to my daughter) and went and picked up a Bold 9780. I will be the first to admit that Blackberry can't hold a candle (or torch as it were) to Android and iPhone for most of the data services they provide. By the same token, those two can't come close to Blackberry for what it does best (call quality, battery life, messaging) so now I have the best of both and am very happy for it. Maybe this will be a new trend. Who knows but it works for me. I hated having to choose between the two and now I don't have to
    04-25-11 07:36 AM
    Another laughable thread....people are going to get what they want to get and use what they want to use, period..

Also these threads will never die, unfortunately.
    They never die because this is what people are always talking/arguing about. Kind of like politics and religion. It is what it is. When I get tired of it (which I do from time to time), I just don't go into these threads. You might want to try it
    04-25-11 07:43 AM
    This article from Forbes says it all for me.
    04-25-11 09:48 AM
    BOOM!!!!!
    From the noted artical:
    "The iPhone and a Droid are cool. I get it. But for a small business owner, I dont need cool. I need productivity."

This is exactly my thought.
    04-25-11 05:53 PM
    ... as long as we realize that folks that own non-RIM smartphones can (wait for it) be productive on them too.

Captain Kirk taught us that "cool" and "productive" need not be mutually exclusive.
    04-25-11 10:48 PM
    ... as long as we realize that folks that own non-RIM smartphones can (wait for it) be productive on them too.

Captain Kirk taught us that "cool" and "productive" need not be mutually exclusive.
    NO doubt that is true but when it comes down to it, it's Blackberry that still rules the corporate world, especially the government one. I'm sure this is mostly due to its excellent security with Exchange server. I work for Homeland Security and Blackberrys are all I see and I'm seeing more and more every day. Blackberry may never win the general consumer crowd but I have a hard time believing they'll ever lose the business sector.
    04-26-11 07:35 AM
    NO doubt that is true but when it comes down to it, it's Blackberry that still rules the corporate world, especially the government one. I'm sure this is mostly due to its excellent security with Exchange server. I work for Homeland Security and Blackberrys are all I see and I'm seeing more and more every day. Blackberry may never win the general consumer crowd but I have a hard time believing they'll ever lose the business sector.
    Agree with most of your post.

I think the challenge RIM has is to continually reach beyond that corporate niche. I think it is dangerous to solely focus on any one segment.

Seeing all the ads aimed at younger people seems to show RIM realizes this (why the heck they waited so long to present BBM as a valued, exclusive platform feature is beyond me).

The more consumers use other platforms, the more willing they'll be to convince their bosses and shareholders to make the change. Apple, Google MS and others will be waiting.
    04-26-11 07:47 AM
    This article from Forbes says it all for me.
    This made me LOL

"For example, up until a few months ago I didnt even know there was a BlackBerry app store. Sure, it doesnt have the volume of apps that youll find for a Droid or iPhone. But thats because more of those apps do things like making your phone fart or turning it into a flashlight. BlackBerry has the apps available that are productive for a business owner. And theyre good."

04-26-11 11:14 AM
    I chose BB cuz I was on Verizon and at the time the Storm was being pushed BOGO free, so for fifty bucks I got two phones. I have only heard of BB and was using a dumb phone. I thought the thing was awesome and the phone was always good to me until it went swimming. After two replacements from asurion I got a storm2. Couldn't be happier. Love the ease of use. I would like to try the Monaco but will definitely do some smarter shopping come upgrade time. My only gripe is a lack of quality apps. (there are some for BB, I know) I would just like a ton more

04-26-11 11:40 AM
    If people love blackberry or hate it it is up to them, I think and agree with what you partly said but some does not make sense at all. But I think you have a good backing of blackberry and in my opinion love blackberry.
    04-26-11 12:41 PM
    I have switched to Android and came back after a month...
    I really just got bored with my Android after awhile..I mean it was really fun for awhile,
    But I really just started missing my Torch. Blackberry all the way for me.

04-26-11 12:48 PM
    I made the switch to Android about 3 weeks ago from all the hype i heard about the Samsung nexus S, a stock android phone and i returned it within a week for 7 reasons:

1. Battery sucked major monkey hairy balls. I fully charged in a 8am, by 6pm, it was dying for the battery. didnt call much, but i txted (no more than bbm and txting combined on my 9700 before). I went back to the store, and the rep told me its because of the wdgets i had going because they are constantly pulling data. I removed them, same result. terrible battery which android is apparently known for and that doesnt make sense itself to have a phone which you know has a ****ty battery bc of the os.

2. I found myself doing too much work to do simple tasks. I felt my self swiping left, right, up, down, diagonal, dragging that stupid notification bar all the way down soon became trouble some and annoying. With my bb to unlock i press unlock, this nexus s i had to push the power button and swipe in a code (this added step frustrated me lol). even scrolling to the top of a list (bb you just press T).

3. couldnt connect my school email

4. email was surprisingly not very intuitive. it was just a list of emails that went on and on as you scroll down. there were no on screen shortcuts to reply, forward or reply all. they were in the MENU!!!!!. at least my bb separates my email by dates CLEARLY. android was just a list that gave me a slight headache while searching.

5. It felt too gimicky. those apps are all useless. during my time having it i downloaded 98 apps and deleted 96 of them. even when i downloaded those antiviruses, they just used up my battery. everything seemed coooool, but there was no immediately connection that hooked me. i honestly tried. when i bought the phone my mind set was frustration as my bb froze 6 times just that morning. (later i just reinstalled the os lol and everything was good).

6. the address book wasnt complete! as in i found no way to add one of my friends birthday!!. A SIMPLE BIRTHDAY.

7. Over 70 maliticious apps and two serious viruses that can potentially compromise the phone by stealing all your information! one of them being gemini.

there it is...man ive been meaning to get that off my chest. I love my bb. Never will i switch.
    ILUMINATIUNDEAD likes this.
    04-27-11 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD