Was just wondering why rim who needs all the press they can get have been so silent on BB10 phones and tablets with the expection of some video here and there. Compare that to the other mobile companies (apple,micosoft,google) who are pretty open with what they are doing and having open betas and giving away refrence devices away and not keeping them under nda.

One of the fondest moments that got me to pay attention was after the first windows phone dev summit microsft gave away the samsung refrence device and allowed engadget to make a very massive and positive write up on the OS.

So do you guys think rim needs to be more open in how they are coming along. Maybe something like the windows blog.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    06-23-12 08:44 PM
    silence is sometimes golden ......... no need to give it all away .......not too soon neways
    06-23-12 08:47 PM
    Exactly eh. Come out with a bang and a big one in that eh
    06-23-12 08:58 PM
    Was just wondering why rim who needs all the press they can get have been so silent on BB10 phones and tablets with the expection of some video here and there. Compare that to the other mobile companies (apple,micosoft,google) who are pretty open with what they are doing and having open betas and giving away refrence devices away and not keeping them under nda.

One of the fondest moments that got me to pay attention was after the first windows phone dev summit microsft gave away the samsung refrence device and allowed engadget to make a very massive and positive write up on the OS.

So do you guys think rim needs to be more open in how they are coming along. Maybe something like the windows blog.

1. I disagree with you as Apple is extremely quiet with what they are working on. Microsoft has been lately too. Look at the Surface tabs that just came out. Nobody knew about it until the day of the event.

2. While I agree that RIM needs good publicity, I don't think good publicity right now will be beneficial for them. They need it in the weeks or month before BB10 release. Hype too early is pointless.

3. I think it is a smart strategic move to not be transparent with all of the functionality being built into BB10. With it projected to be released in October, it might not be tough for Apple or Google (or an independant dev) to build some of these new features into an OS release or app prior to BB10 being released (assuming RIM would be more transparent as to what they are doing with BB10). As an example, look at the new BB10 keyboard. An apple dev created a similar functioning app within a week.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-23-12 09:05 PM

I'm not sure what cave you've been living in. RIM has been conducting Blackberry Jam events all over the world to demonstrate BB10. AND it's been distributing a dev alpha device that has been widely-praised.

And they DO have "something like the windows blog"...
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-23-12 09:09 PM
    Magicians never reveal their secrets.
    06-23-12 09:32 PM

i think they are doing good, although i'm going crazy waiting to see more info on bb10, think about how the touch screen keyboard swiping was already like stolen by apple wasn't it? i could be wrong
    06-23-12 10:43 PM
    i think they are doing good, although i'm going crazy waiting to see more info on bb10, think about how the touch screen keyboard swiping was already like stolen by apple wasn't it? i could be wrong
    the keyboard design is only available through a Jailbreak for iOS...Apple did not officially mimic or copy RIM's design
    06-23-12 10:52 PM
    The qnx team is a much more secretive team than the old legacy side of rim.

We knew pretty much nothing about the playbook before launch.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    06-23-12 11:00 PM
    We are simply to far away from an actual release date for them to start pounding out adds for BB10...
    ...And what they currently have on the shelves is certainly nothing to brag about.
    ...Compared to what else is sitting on the shelves and flying off them.

If anything RIM needs to save it's $ the best it can for the time being...
    ...If BB10 comes out with solid apps, autofocus camera, Skype, etc they will be fine.
    ...If they don't there is no point in thowing $ down the drain on a device the public will reject.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-23-12 11:30 PM
    I like how RIM is being very quiet about BB10. Here's why:

Lets face it. The media LOVES to textually abuse RIM. (Yeah, I said "textually") In the past the new phones features would slowly become known, and one by one, the media would pick them apart. This would happen long before the phone made its debut. When it was finally released. It had already taken such a beating in the media, that they never had a chance to even really get the product off the ground.

So by RIM shutting their mouths, they are at least giving themselves a fighting chance. Let people judge a complete product, not the parts of it before hand.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    06-24-12 01:30 AM
    I think they're so quiet because they don't want to be criticised on the os or even hardware so early on or near to launch to keep hopes high but at the same time keeping so many in the dark will make them feel as if they don't know whats coming in regards to ios, wp8 and googles new jelly bean for example. BB10 was already delayed because it is a brand new os/eco system so they need to perfect it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CrackBerry forums application
    06-24-12 03:27 AM
    Rim knows this launch is a do or die moment for them so they need to make sure that BB 10 launches with no issues. Remember every device being sold needs to be approved by the carrier before they can be sold. I am sure that Rim is doing some extensive testing on the new OS before releasing it to the public. One of the biggest complaints on any forum is a device with a known glitch. So I firmly believe that Rim is making sure that the wow factor will be there at launch with little or no glitches.
    06-24-12 05:06 AM
    Apple is in a different stage of the game already. Now its more or less just incremental updates to reduce friction in the iOS. Do you see Apple giving out or showing beta before the iPhone first launched? RIM is now in the stage where they are releasing something entirely new. New interface, new OS, new platform. So i don't think they need to show any more than they already have until a date closer to launch.
    06-24-12 06:28 AM
    Just ask your self this:

Q: Does Apple tell everyone "what's coming" in regards to their hardware?
    A: Never

RIM is going the Apple route, which is great. Stop talking and just release it when it's ready. They had their time in the spotlight a few weeks back, they showed a bit of the upcoming software and we know hardware is coming in the fall... just like Apple.

The way you feel OP is the same way Apple fans do, they want to know whats coming down the pipe but it's all speculation from phone release to phone release.
    06-24-12 06:49 AM
    RIM has learned it's lessons well.

The media/blogosphere/"tech professionals" will take a dump on any info it release before time. Just look at the countless reports of BB is ditching keyboards, or claims that the BB10 demos are just videos so the software isn't even made yet.

Seriously, I like this route. It's let the lazy idiots and haters grasp for straws. Then release the info, marketing, and device in quick succession before they even have a chance to say anything.

Effectively, shut them all up by shutting them out. You're not going to get good buzz let alone fair buzz, from these guys. To think otherwise is extremely naive.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-24-12 12:34 PM
    Because they're trying to unload all the OS7 stash they can before it all gets trashed. Simple.
    06-24-12 07:15 PM
    We haven't seen what ios6 on a new iphone 5 looks like either because its not close enough.

You want to show it all off a week or 2 before release so people impulse buy it and don't have time to think about what it can or cannot do and if they really need it.

Like when apple announces the new iphone it goes on preorder that day.
    06-24-12 08:08 PM
    We haven't seen what ios6 on a new iphone 5 looks like either because its not close enough.

You want to show it all off a week or 2 before release so people impulse buy it and don't have time to think about what it can or cannot do and if they really need it.

Like when apple announces the new iphone it goes on preorder that day.
    Yep, it's called cashing in while the hype machine is still going at full speed. Any longer and the "professionals" will start mucking around, asking questions and actually do their jobs. GASP!
    06-25-12 09:34 AM
    Yep, it's called cashing in while the hype machine is still going at full speed. Any longer and the "professionals" will start mucking around, asking questions and actually do their jobs. GASP!
    but because their stock is in the tank and they're bleeding customers everyone wants to see now. noone can be patient no a days. quality takes time.
    06-25-12 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD