As much as I like BB this is a marketing fail. We all know safari that gets installed with any Apple products ; which is nothing special... why wouldnt bb's browser have a name. We could be talking about the newest version of 'Blackbird' (or something) on the Playbook...etc instead of something that has no presence in one's memory.
    01-23-12 06:59 PM
    I call mine Tabby. Short for Tabitha

You can download Safari, afaik, you can't download Tabby as a standalone. It's part of the OS.
    01-23-12 07:14 PM
    Personally I kind of like the fact they don't name their native apps like that. Cleaner to call it browser then copy everybody else and call it Safari or whatever else.
    quik4life, all3n7 and JR A like this.
    01-23-12 07:28 PM
    My browser is oddly enough "Browser", no need to change it. It is what it is.
    01-23-12 07:31 PM
    Yeah let's name it Fred. Haha. I prefer not "naming" it anything. Browser is what browser does! F.G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-23-12 07:33 PM
    browser works for me. i really do not think about myself.
    01-23-12 07:42 PM
    I call it the Internet. I'm gonna check that on the Internet, or I use Web Brower. But I guess these are old school.
    01-24-12 05:11 AM
    Blackberry's Webkit based browser....I think that's descriptive enough. Blackberry browser for short.
    Works for me.
    auditman likes this.
    01-24-12 05:35 AM
    I think the OP has a point here from a marketing point of view.

Everybody associates Safari with Apple
    IE with Microsoft
    Chrome with Google

As we are already BB users we don't really care but for new potential customers it's a different story. And when BB10 hits the market I think naming the browser even becomes more interesting.

For instance with the OS 2.0 update for the playbook there will be some browser tweaks that will make it even better than it already is.
    And since BB10 and OS 2.0 are practically the same people can refer to the browser on the playbook. This could stimulate more sales of BB10 devices.

Offcourse I'm aware this can also work the other way around when the browser isn't that good on os 2.0 but I think the browser is already really good on the playbook.

To the OP, what would you call the browser?
    I was thinking about Cruise (marketing slogan: cruising the web with BB Cruise)
    01-24-12 05:51 AM
    Perhaps call it FULL WEB?
    JR A likes this.
    01-24-12 09:07 AM
    We call it browser so we can use "B" to open it.
    rjshahan, JR A, Mecca EL and 1 others like this.
    01-24-12 09:20 AM
    I think the OP has a point here from a marketing point of view.

Everybody associates Safari with Apple
    IE with Microsoft
    Chrome with Google

As we are already BB users we don't really care but for new potential customers it's a different story. And when BB10 hits the market I think naming the browser even becomes more interesting.

For instance with the OS 2.0 update for the playbook there will be some browser tweaks that will make it even better than it already is.
    And since BB10 and OS 2.0 are practically the same people can refer to the browser on the playbook. This could stimulate more sales of BB10 devices.

Offcourse I'm aware this can also work the other way around when the browser isn't that good on os 2.0 but I think the browser is already really good on the playbook.

To the OP, what would you call the browser?
    I was thinking about Cruise (marketing slogan: cruising the web with BB Cruise)
    IE Got a Name because it had to Compete with NetScape, and the Term browser wasn't really a well understood term,
    Safari Got a name because it had to compete with IE, they needed to Brand themselves as an Alternative to IE, and are on multiple devices now.
    Chrome got a name as an Alternative to IE, and googles push into consumer software

BlackBerry Browser is Native, It requires no advertising as people will use it because it is Native, Alternative browsers must make their names to be downloaded onto a BlackBerry.
    It would be a waste of marketing dollars and branding to focus on branding the BlackBerry Browser.

Maybe in the Future you'll see it called something Different, but really BB Browser will probably become the name and the Branding.
    Alex_Hong, Flexin and 00stryder like this.
    01-24-12 10:07 AM
    What's in a name, a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet....
    Just Me and 00stryder like this.
    01-24-12 11:46 AM
    Ok. let's say RIM renamed all of the apps (browser, messages, contacts, etc):

bungee
    collector
    galactica
    bob
    livingstone
    jeep

which one is the browser?
    01-24-12 12:51 PM
    It is wht it is, just a browser.
    01-24-12 02:18 PM
    All the other browsers were desktop products before being put into the phone. So they already had the name behind it.
    01-24-12 03:04 PM
    I could care less what its called as long as the browser works. It'll always just be the internet to me.
    01-24-12 03:51 PM
    a cool name means cool marketing....
    01-24-12 05:23 PM
    I kind of like browser like I like the name dog for a dog
    JorgeBMW likes this.
    01-24-12 05:28 PM
    BlackBerry devices have browsers?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-24-12 05:44 PM
    I call mine Tabby. Short for Tabitha

You can download Safari, afaik, you can't download Tabby as a standalone. It's part of the OS.
    I call my PlayBook "Tabby" too! (Also short for Tabitha.) Lol it was actually my fiance's idea, but I've stuck with it.
    01-24-12 07:25 PM
    From my understanding it's name is actually called blackberry browser but if it's going to be rebranded I think they will call it torch since they bought torch mobile for their Web browser experience that's also how we got the torch line phone's
    01-24-12 07:27 PM
    FYI, the stock browser on Android is not Chrome. There currently isn't an Android version of Chrome. The browser on Android phones is just called "Browser" or "Internet".
    01-24-12 07:27 PM
    FYI, the stock browser on Android is not Chrome. There currently isn't an Android version of Chrome. The browser on Android phones is just called "Browser" or "Internet".
    I've never used Android but I'm surprised that there is no version of Chrome for it. Kind of shocked, actually.
    01-24-12 07:47 PM
    I think trying to name the Browser would make RIMs marketing challenges worse... Giving the browser a flashy name isn't going to mean anything to a consumer, especially if that name didn't mean anything.

For example if they called it Blast Browser... People would ask "okay, so what does it do and how is it different from safari?'
    Whereas, RIM could licence a well known name like Firefox (just an example) and that name would have experience and recognition... Thus being good for marketing.

Or they could just call it Blackberry Browser and just promote its amazing capabiluties as part of a whole amazing package (what they currently do). This would ultimately be the cheapest and most efficient marketing strategy...

Just my opinion.
    9of13 likes this.
    01-24-12 07:59 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD