I vote for Boris, Boris the Browser.

With further thought, maybe 'Link Browser'. It's your link to the world. Link to your social world. Link Browser, a gateway to the Internet.

The word link in very social, and on subject of what a Browser does.
    Last edited by Rgainsmi; 01-25-12 at 04:00 AM.
    01-25-12 03:46 AM
    Nope.
    Galactica is Email
    I'd go with Galactica as the browser, "because it goes beyond just the worldwide web"

Si.
    01-25-12 04:13 AM
    LOL!!!! Just had a mental image of everyone naming their naughty bits!!!!
    01-25-12 04:17 AM
    LOL!!!! Just had a mental image of everyone naming their naughty bits!!!!
    Doesn't everybody? Lol
    01-25-12 04:33 AM
    I think RIm needs to make sure that the browser differentiates itself from other browsers so developers and websites that track their hits would know if the hit came from a BB smartphone or the PlayBook rather than from some other webkit based browser. I seem to remember a thread here about.
    01-25-12 05:33 AM
    I think they should name the browser. It's part of brand recognition and the ecosyste$ that BlackBerry is severely lacking.

BlackBird is cute and there's a song with the same name but it's about civil rights.

I definitely hope BlackBerry does some major re branding!
    01-25-12 05:53 AM
    Sorry but isn't BlackBerry the brand they should be pushing?

International marketing costs huge amounts, to make a browser name well known would cost an enormous amount why not just push BlackBerry.

What is BlackBerry...At the moment it's known for an outdated OS with the little keyboards.

Advertisment idea...
    Voice over...

BlackBerry, to get the job done. It's fast. It's professional. It's fun. All new BB10, welcome to the New BlackBerry...

Ofcourse whilst this is being said, we see its multi tasking, it's great email system, then it's big titled games catalog.
    Last edited by Rgainsmi; 01-25-12 at 06:36 AM.
    01-25-12 06:26 AM
    As much as I like BB this is a marketing fail. We all know safari that gets installed with any Apple products ; which is nothing special... why wouldnt bb's browser have a name. We could be talking about the newest version of 'Blackbird' (or something) on the Playbook...etc instead of something that has no presence in one's memory.
    My cognition seems to be reversed: as a 1000% BlackBerryAddict I associate with "browser" my native BlackBerry-browser.... Its the only browser in my smartphone existence. All the other products I use (windows, opera, firefox, crome, safari....) are gay-named manifolds of "my" browser.... There is no need to give THE BROWSER a name like a jaunt thru africa or an annoying form of classic music....
    01-25-12 07:42 AM
    I actually really like this idea!.. you should have a survey for the name.

I really like cruise so I am going to say Sail. Forgive my photoshop skills haha
    anon2100101 likes this.
    01-25-12 08:25 AM
    I actually really like this idea!.. you should have a survey for the name.

I really like cruise so I am going to say Sail. Forgive my photoshop skills haha
    Cool idea... Stylish metaphor...!!! (Beside the fact of global warming and increasing sea-level....
    01-25-12 08:37 AM
    i disagree with the OP about "marketing fail" ...that was a reach in my opinion.....however, i do think it would be cool to give the browser a name...dont have to put much marketing behind it because its native to the devices and will be used regardless. advertising for it can come later...let it start by WOM first, IMO.

if i had to name it i'd go with .......SURF
    Last edited by Propa; 01-25-12 at 10:36 AM.
    01-25-12 10:29 AM
    IE Got a Name because it had to Compete with NetScape, and the Term browser wasn't really a well understood term,
    Safari Got a name because it had to compete with IE, they needed to Brand themselves as an Alternative to IE, and are on multiple devices now.
    Chrome got a name as an Alternative to IE, and googles push into consumer software

BlackBerry Browser is Native, It requires no advertising as people will use it because it is Native, Alternative browsers must make their names to be downloaded onto a BlackBerry.
    It would be a waste of marketing dollars and branding to focus on branding the BlackBerry Browser.

Maybe in the Future you'll see it called something Different, but really BB Browser will probably become the name and the Branding.
    I rarely do but I find myself in disagreement with you.
    Browsing on smartphones has since became key esp, since RIM is still declaring commitment to the tablet space which is vying for some of the PC (& Mac's) space. To name it does not mean marketing (indeed naming it is marketing it in itself) but it tells "on-the-fence" people that you are according it the importance it deserves.
    The Blackberry browser has long been seen (rightly or wrongly) as inferior and this can help perceptions.
    It will just be another marketing buzzword like Liquid Graphics. If it develops into something bigger, fine but that should not be the primary objective.
    01-25-12 11:00 AM
    I'd go with Galactica as the browser, "because it goes beyond just the worldwide web"

Si.
    It's old, some say it should be retired, but it still is very fast.
    Email it is. Though RIM would need BSG licensing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-12 11:41 AM
    Technically they named the browser. It is named when other sites see the phone/PlayBook. They named it Safari.
    01-25-12 01:25 PM
    Ooh that's mean :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-12 03:27 PM
    I rarely do but I find myself in disagreement with you.
    Browsing on smartphones has since became key esp, since RIM is still declaring commitment to the tablet space which is vying for some of the PC (& Mac's) space. To name it does not mean marketing (indeed naming it is marketing it in itself) but it tells "on-the-fence" people that you are according it the importance it deserves.
    The Blackberry browser has long been seen (rightly or wrongly) as inferior and this can help perceptions.
    It will just be another marketing buzzword like Liquid Graphics. If it develops into something bigger, fine but that should not be the primary objective.
    To answer your sig, no.

Well since it is a playbook the browser should be called touchdown or something like that. I know shoot me now lol.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 01-25-12 at 03:37 PM. Reason: r
    01-25-12 03:36 PM
    my answer will be in two parts.
    • part 1 : Apple ? it depends.
    • part 2 : tech is overrated. Power to the features.

part 1 : Apple ? it depends.
    if you take the iPhone, you see that there are two kind of applications :
    most of them have no specific branding :
    • Calendar
    • Calculator
    • Camera
    • Contacts
    • Game Center
    • Mail
    • Maps
    • Music
    • Newsstand
    • Notes
    • Phone
    • Photos
    • Reminders
    • Stocks
    • Video recording
    • Videos
    • Voice memos
    • Weather

A very limited number of apps have a specific branding :
    • AppStore
    • Facetime
    • Find my phone (same feature as in BlackBerry Protect)
    • iMessage
    • iTunes
    • Safari
    • Youtube
    if you look closely, and if you exclude Youtube (which is not yet a common resource like ketchup or zip), all applications on the iPhone have a regular name except those who require an iTunes account.
    Those applications are the ones that link any Apple fan to the Mac world. The brand Safari was used solely because there was already a Safari for MacOS that was already popular.

It is not the case for RIM, who do not deliver any BlackBerry application ourside the smartphone and tablet world, to the exception of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager (and it is not that much of a success).
    01-25-12 04:02 PM
    Hi,

I just saw the thread on Crackberry... Yes, RIM needs a name for the browser (I thought it was 'web-kit', but that's the technology).

ALSO

They need a Media Player like QuickTime.

It's SOOO frustrating trying to watch a video off a webpage on the phones browser.

Better Google apps like a better YouTube would be a plus also.
    01-25-12 04:02 PM
    now to the second part of my reply.

part 2 : tech is overrated. Power to the features.

One of my main concern about how RIM advertises its products is that there are too many names.

There are cases where it has to be done. For example "BIS" or "BlackBerry Messenger" or "App World". But there are many cases where I believe on the contrary that it must not be done. Two examples :

1) back when OS6 was released, I don't know if you remember but RIM bought a company that designed a browser that was based on the Webkit toolkit (the same used in the Apple Safari or in the PlayBook browser), and that is also very popular in the Linux world). That company was called "Torch Mobile". Well, I think it is very fortunate that RIM decided that the browser in OS6 would keep the same name : "Browser", and not "Torch browser" or even worse "Torch Mobile browser".

2) when OS7 was released, RIM wanted the OS to be visually faster than the OS6. So they worked a lot, and in the end they created this new technology they labelled "Liquid Graphics". This is a case where naming is completely useless :
    my mom does not care about Liquid Graphics. She would even believe it is a feature about making smudges on pictures you have taken.
    People who really know what that means wake up at night to laugh at it. it's just a bit faster ; why name it?

if you look at 2011's ads by RIM, about OS7, about the PlayBook, they are all mainly focused on technology. And this is appealing to only tech savvy people (including geeks or crackberrians). What RIM needs to do is, after enhancing the technology (faster CPU, more apps, more features, better battery life and so on), is make it disappear entirely. If you look at what Samsung and Apple advertise today, they focus on the user experience. While RIM and Nokia still focus on features and technologies.

So my answer, in two parts, is

No, never name a browser. It's just a tool to browse the Internet.
    01-25-12 04:09 PM
    If RIM really wanted to go with an aptly named browser..they could go with something like "Checkers"..as in checkerboarding. I really hope 2.0 fixes some of the browsing issues I've experienced...
    01-25-12 04:12 PM
    Better Google apps like a better YouTube would be a plus also.
    I would not hold my breath...
    if you look at the Youtube app for the BlackBerry Playbook, it is a piece of joke (it does not even displays the same results as if you do a query on the youtube.com website)

besides, Google is trying its best to sabotage their web apps so they do not work correctly on the PlayBook. It is my strong belief. Already spotted for the GMail HTML5 interface (Fortunately RIM fixed the browser so that it would defeat the sabotage), and still true today for the Google Maps website, which is unusable on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

I do not believe that Google is going to help in any way RIM, at least for the next couple of years.
    01-25-12 04:14 PM
    Apple named its browser Safari because it is on Mac,PC and Tablet. This is to compete,differentiate itself from Firefox, IE etc. It is stand alone product. Playbook browser is integral part of the tablet so i do not see reason for them to name it. Unless RIM is planning to compete with Firefox,IE,Chrome etc. in PC market but lets not go there ! we do not need any more disasters. Lets focus and make it simple. !
    01-25-12 04:40 PM
    I would not hold my breath...
    if you look at the Youtube app for the BlackBerry Playbook, it is a piece of joke (it does not even displays the same results as if you do a query on the youtube.com website)

besides, Google is trying its best to sabotage their web apps so they do not work correctly on the PlayBook. It is my strong belief. Already spotted for the GMail HTML5 interface (Fortunately RIM fixed the browser so that it would defeat the sabotage), and still true today for the Google Maps website, which is unusable on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

I do not believe that Google is going to help in any way RIM, at least for the next couple of years.

Yes, personally I think it's just a matter of time before Google "closes off" mobile apps (for others), and force the purchase of Androidz. I also think its just a matter of time before Android is closed off to strickly Motorola...

Google likes to play dirr-tey at A LOT of things...
    01-25-12 09:20 PM
    I think that RIM should try to acquire Opera - fast, and secure... plus it will be the name of the browser.

RIM should also try to acquire Polar Mobile, or Endloop to solve their app problems... it would probably better better for apps to be directly created from RIM for BB's.
    Make it a division.
    01-25-12 09:25 PM
    Personally, I never really thought about it, Browser is kinda straight and narrow. when i read about android, i looked at someone's atrix, (Gingerbread 2) and it's named "browser" with a blue square and something that is similar to the att logo. Name branding is good, but I would say for RIM to make it 105% right, I have crashed the browser many a times, [PB 1.7, 1.8, b2.0 / OS 4, 5, 7] it's not that hard. Hopefully I can't crash PB official 2.0 or 7.1.

I like the name of blackbird, use something like OS 7 and PB logo, only replace the arrow with a outline of a bird and a black streak coming around the globe. the USAF has already done some name branding with the SR-71 with the speed of the fastest plane on earth, but again, live up to the name.

If BB10 / BBX / QnX 3.0 lives up to the hype, and is as fast as a Blackbird, Name brand it, tablet and phone working together, with one browser, no version of mobile and another as a full version. But get it right
    01-25-12 09:35 PM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD