Okay so this question is directed towards all those who live in countries where phones are usually offered on contract. However everyones feedback would be appreciated.

Okay so lets start with what I know or what I think I know. Phones in many western countries are offered with heavy discounts from the carrier. In return they get a fixed customer for a fixed period of time ranging from 1 year to 3 years or maybe even more.

Now lets take the Q10 example. I have heard a lot of people complaining about the Q10's pricing. Its priced at $250 on contract vs iPhone or HTC One which is $200 on contract.

And now somehow this becomes "only for the wealthy businessman". How does this work?

Are we saying that extra $50 for the device takes it out of the reach for an average consumer? Doesn't this average consumer pay between $40 to $100 each month after that depending on their plan?

Here where I stay (Dubai) and many other places around the world where carriers dont subsidize the cost of the phone, people pay a lot of for any top end device that they want to buy. My Z10 for example costed me $740. And I pay $50 each month only for internet. No calls or any other service. Here we do have a contract system which is somewhat similar to the ones seen in US or Canada but it is not standard(not for every device) and there are different pricing schemes with each device (no standard plans). This makes the contracts not the standard choice and a large majority still buys phones outright.

So help me out here guys. Why is it that $250 or even $300 seem 'very expensive' in many places where as people other places pay much more without much to complain about. I not from a wealthy family so I know that $100 is a good amount but its not like a comparison between a Toyota and a Porche where the price for one is tens of thousands or $ more than the other.?
    angieberry10 likes this.
    04-30-13 12:20 PM
    It also depends how competitive your phone / carrier market is too. In the UK most people will be able to get it free or very cheap (if their 2 year contract is over and they stay with the same carrier) .

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 12:49 PM
    There's is only one straw that breaks the camel's back.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 01:00 PM
    S4 - $199.00

HTC One - $249.00

Z10 - $99-$149

S3 - $0-$99

IPhone5 - $199-$249

Q10 - $249.00

They will dampen things a little at launch with that price point. It will soon drop. Within 2 weeks or less.

I wish it the best of luck.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    04-30-13 01:16 PM
    To me, it is more arrogant and insulting than anything else.... Blackberry is saying they have the "Premium Phone" to match the "Premium price" My problem is, this phone isnt anymore premium than an iPhone 5 or HTC One... yet you feel like it is ok to price a phone WITH A HW KEYBOARD above the competition... hahahaha ok!
    04-30-13 02:33 PM
    To me, it is more arrogant and insulting than anything else.... Blackberry is saying they have the "Premium Phone" to match the "Premium price" My problem is, this phone isnt anymore premium than an iPhone 5 or HTC One... yet you feel like it is ok to price a phone WITH A HW KEYBOARD above the competition... hahahaha ok!
    For some it is a premium phone, worth more than the ip5. THAT'S their target demographic. I paid the $250 on contract when the 9930 came out and see no reason for the Q10 to be any less. It's really about choice. For me the keyboard IS the premium feature. I have a Z10 and love it, but I'm seriously thinking of going back to the Q10 just for the keyboard.

I feel it's pretty arrogant for Apple to charge what they do for any of their iOS products, but I'm not their demographic so it really doesn't matter. You can guarantee BlackBerry knows this demogrphic, for everyone else, there's the Z10. Truth be told, the other phones you mentioned aren't competition to the Q10, they are for the Z10. They built for BB people that have waited for a modern OS to go with the best QWERTY KB every made. BB knows we will pay a premium for that. It may not be for you, and that's fine, but there are 100% people that will have no issue with paying $250 on contract. They aren't expecting to get the average Joe cross shopping the Q10 vs. ip5, but they are expecting the the ip5 corporate user and large companies to move back to the Q10. Embrace choice!
    angieberry10 likes this.
    04-30-13 03:29 PM
    It's about the relative pricing as others have said.
    Is it worth the price? Of course it's debatable, I think the majority would say, vs the competition, no, not at this moment in time.
    Is any phone worth 700 dollars? Probably not.
    04-30-13 03:40 PM
    First rule of retail is charge what the market will pay. What anyone else thinks is fair is not relevant.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    04-30-13 07:45 PM