And my point is that if people didn't like the iPhone or Android, then those products would not be popular or cool for very long. We're now 4.5 years into the iPhone, and they keep selling more. Same for Android, though for a shorter period.
    they are popular because they are readily available. iPhones are everywhere. Theres a new Android coming out every week.

Sales dont necessarily reflect the quality of product.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    02-11-12 08:06 PM

Maybe, but they certainly reflect how a consumer values it.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-11-12 08:11 PM
    they are popular because they are readily available. iPhones are everywhere. Theres a new Android coming out every week.
    Android isn't any more "available" than BlackBerry, which is available here in the U.S. at all four major carriers (the iPhone was on just one as recently as January 2011), so that's a poor excuse for RIM's sales issues, at least here in the U.S.

No, not always, but they generally do, and you've yet to present any evidence that iPhones or Androids are one of the few exceptions.
    02-11-12 08:17 PM

Think about specific carriers at any one time, though. With BB, carriers offer a bold, torch, and curve. There are 2-4 high end or midrange Android options. iPhone releases are one a year and they still sell like crazy.
    02-11-12 08:17 PM
    Yes. More slogan. Tools not toys. Amateur hour is over. Leap frogging the competition.

FYI - the competition is eating RIM's lunch in the consumer market place.

And they're not putting out these lame slogans. I'm mean what does "Tools not toys" even mean??

"I'm a PC.". Didn't send Apple to the afterlife, but "Tools not toys" will??

More sales and less slogans Waterloo.

RIM needs to make a decision about where they want to b a strive for that. It has already missed the consumer market explosion. At least they did in what are, so far, the largest consumer markets.

Here's a list of Apple slogans over the years. it's looooooooong...these are a few
    source: List of Apple Inc. slogans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a list of slogans that have been used by Apple Inc. in advertising and marketing material from the '70s to the present.

"Byte into an Apple" (Late 1970s)[1][2]
    "Soon there will be 2 kinds of people. Those who use computers, and those who use Apples." (Early 1980s)[2][3]
    "The Computer for the rest of us" (1984)[2][4]
    "The Power to Be Your Best" (1990)[2][5][6]
    "Think different." (1997–2002)[2][6][7]
    "Switch" (2002–2003)[2]
    "Get a Mac" (2006-2009)
    "iThink, therefore iMac."
    "Blows minds, not budgets."
    "Small is Beautiful""A little Mini. A lot of Leopard"
    "Higher Resolution. Better Mileage"
    "Beauty outside. Beast inside."

Slogans are fun...

This looooooooong list also shows that Apple has been at this for a loooooong time with consumers.

Your trollish nitpicking with RIM's efforts is lame
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-11-12 at 08:34 PM.
    02-11-12 08:29 PM
    Here's a list of Apple slogans over the years. it's looooooooong...these are a few
    source: List of Apple Inc. slogans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a list of slogans that have been used by Apple Inc. in advertising and marketing material from the '70s to the present.

"Byte into an Apple" (Late 1970s)[1][2]
    "Soon there will be 2 kinds of people. Those who use computers, and those who use Apples." (Early 1980s)[2][3]
    "The Computer for the rest of us" (1984)[2][4]
    "The Power to Be Your Best" (1990)[2][5][6]
    "Think different." (1997�2002)[2][6][7]
    "Switch" (2002�2003)[2]
    "Get a Mac" (2006-2009)
    "iThink, therefore iMac."
    "Blows minds, not budgets."
    "Small is Beautiful""A little Mini. A lot of Leopard"
    "Higher Resolution. Better Mileage"
    "Beauty outside. Beast inside."

Slogans are fun...

This looooooooong list also shows that Apple has been at this for a loooooong time with consumers.

Your trollish nitpicking with RIM's efforts is lame
    Yes! I'm a troll! You've unveiled me. Oh the shame! Lame.
    02-11-12 08:42 PM
    Oooohhhhhh. The "t" word. You REALLY ticked em off. LOL.

I think making RIM relevant to more people is key. Mindshare means sales.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Tapatalk
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    02-11-12 08:54 PM
    Yes! I'm a troll! You've unveiled me. Oh the shame! Lame.
    The word tends to slip out when commenters feel the ground beneath them shifting. It's like mother's milk to them it seems.
    02-11-12 08:57 PM
    I use the word frequently in real life. Like, when I'm verbally sparring with my wife, angry at my boss or pulled over by police.

"Troll!"

I be checking folks, yo. When people diss my phone, I scream the T word in conjunction with some especially fearsome gang signs.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trelawrence; 02-11-12 at 09:14 PM.
    02-11-12 09:04 PM
    Let me try and get this thread back on the tracks.......

"BlackBerry, it's trrrrrollicious!"
    02-11-12 09:14 PM
    Good thread, some great comments.
    Mktg. 101 is "segment the market" Then build a strategy for each segment.

A few obvious segments are:

Current BB users.
    Business
    Gamers
    Non business consumers (the cool crowd)
    Etc...

Decide which segments you want to attack (or not). What approach for each one.
    The new Mktg. guy will do that.

In the meantime nothing
    02-11-12 09:38 PM
    Android isn't any more "available" than BlackBerry, which is available here in the U.S. at all four major carriers (the iPhone was on just one as recently as January 2011), so that's a poor excuse for RIM's sales issues, at least here in the U.S.
    You cant be serious.

And thats not an excuse for RIM's sales at all.
    02-11-12 09:47 PM
    They should make a commercial where someone sent a message where it was autocorrected incorrectly and changed the whole meaning of the message, then hilarity insues.
    02-11-12 10:32 PM
    The new commercials Blackberry is making are really bad. I don't think they show them being used in a practical way and some seem to have little to do with the phone. Why not show a person in uniform using one to send messages (soldier, police officer) a doctor on call getting a message they need to come into the hospital. A parent texting their kid they will be late picking them up etc, etc. Show different situations of people using the different features such as BBM, bridging, camera, etc. I hope Rim wakes up and gets someone new to do their marketing. I think they have one last chance.
    02-11-12 11:37 PM
    And my point is that if people didn't like the iPhone or Android, then those products would not be popular or cool for very long. We're now 4.5 years into the iPhone, and they keep selling more. Same for Android, though for a shorter period.
    Thats true to an extent. When BB's were only 4.5 years old they were on top of their game also. The true comparison should be how popular the iPhone is at 10 years old as the current BB's are now. 5.5 more years is a lot of time in the tech world and the coolness of the iPhone may cease by then. BB's could be back on top, who knows.
    02-12-12 12:28 AM
    They should make a commercial where someone sent a message where it was autocorrected incorrectly and changed the whole meaning of the message, then hilarity insues.
    That would be great, but this isnt about an iPhone!
    02-12-12 12:39 AM
    That would be great, but this isnt about an iPhone!
    Well, it would obviously end with the blackberry keyboard and how much better it is typing on it.
    02-12-12 02:43 AM
    *the awesome keyboard (no more embarrassing typos!)
    How not to end up on damnyouautocorrect.com
    02-12-12 02:53 AM
    I agree with the OP, I hope it starts hard after the release of PB2.0 After that time they will have a story to tell.
    02-12-12 03:45 AM
    The new commercials Blackberry is making are really bad. I don't think they show them being used in a practical way and some seem to have little to do with the phone. Why not show a person in uniform using one to send messages (soldier, police officer) a doctor on call getting a message they need to come into the hospital. A parent texting their kid they will be late picking them up etc, etc. Show different situations of people using the different features such as BBM, bridging, camera, etc. I hope Rim wakes up and gets someone new to do their marketing. I think they have one last chance.
    Again, though, commercials showing that BB can do what a consumer's phone already does won't be effective. BBM itself won't sell devices. Showing that a BB gives new functionality to a tablet, when other tablets have that native won't sell devices. You can't have effective marketing without a great product, and that's where I hope BB10 will step it up.
    02-12-12 05:04 AM
    Again, though, commercials showing that BB can do what a consumer's phone already does won't be effective. BBM itself won't sell devices. Showing that a BB gives new functionality to a tablet, when other tablets have that native won't sell devices. You can't have effective marketing without a great product, and that's where I hope BB10 will step it up.
    And there you have it. Well said.
    02-12-12 09:12 AM
    I've said this before. The commercials for Asia, Indonesia, India and the Philippines are far supperior to what RIM show in the States. This example from the BB store is pretty cool.

02-12-12 10:23 AM
    But what happens when the general public sees that celebs use their BBs for the same things they use their devices for? For example, say there's a commercial where Beyonce is using a BB to tweet, share pics, keep track of her schedule, BBM/text/IM her family and friends, use GPS when she's in a new area for a shoot, etc. The consumer with an android/ios device will be like "But I can already do all that on my phone" and ignore the commercial, unless the commercial is targeting kids. The Sidekick devices, for example, were heavily marketed by celebs kids identified with or looked up to like Tony Hawk, D Wade, etc. They sold a lot of devices that way. Adults would be harder to sway by celebrity endorsements. I love Ellen but I don't particularly care what phone she uses, you know?
    You're giving the general public way too much credit. The fact is, if you have more celebs in BlackBerry commercials and play a LOT of those commercials during primetime television, people will buy more BBs. The general consumer follows whatever the TV tells them to do.

The sad thing is, the general public has no idea they can tweet, GPS, share pics, surf the web, and so on with a BlackBerry.
    02-12-12 01:43 PM
    You can pretty much do the same things on every phone nowadays. Each company is going to need its own catch gimmick now to attract consumers. Everything mentioned in this thread so far can be done on any phone its just a matter of preference. Its a never ending argument. Why some people leave BB is the same reason others leave devices and come to BB. This has been going on for as long as there have been products to buy in the history of the world. Use what you like, end of story.
    02-12-12 03:43 PM
    You're giving the general public way too much credit. The fact is, if you have more celebs in BlackBerry commercials and play a LOT of those commercials during primetime television, people will buy more BBs. The general consumer follows whatever the TV tells them to do.

The sad thing is, the general public has no idea they can tweet, GPS, share pics, surf the web, and so on with a BlackBerry.
    And it very well could be that I'm biased because I don't see how an adult would think "Oh look, Beyonce is tweeting and sharing pics on a Blackberry. I tweet and share pics on my iPhone, but I'm willing to get a brand new device and learn a different OS just so I can tweet and share pics the same way Beyonce does."

If anything, I think it's the techies who get new devices often even though they don't do anything that different on them. Again, I might be biased because this is how I am. I don't do anything drastically different on my Amaze than I did on my MyTouch 4G, but I do them on a speedier device with a bigger screen and sharper resolution. Likewise, I'm sure that those who upgraded from say a BB 9700 to a 9900 doesn't really do many tasks they didn't do before.
    02-12-12 03:51 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD