After watching a few of the new Bold commercials I got to thinking, why does RIM insist on hammering home the "tools not toys" theme with Blackberry and try to make them cool? We already know that RIM does very well with the people who want tools and not toys so why continue to cater to this market? The people I have lost on BBM weren't business professionals, they were younger people who used to think BBM was cool and now they think the iPhone is cool. RIM can change all of this though by marketing assets that it doesn't seem to acknowledge.

There are a LOT of celebrities, athletes and CEO's who still use Blackberry. We know this because we see them using it on Twitter, in media pics etc. Why doesn't Blackberry cater to the guys like Chris Paul and Lebron James in the NBA or the famous DJ's like Steve Angello who Tweeted the other night that he was using BBM to keep track of the Lakers game while he was traveling in Brazil? These are people who have influence over the consumer market and definitely bring a "cool" factor to the brand if marketed correctly. How big of a market is RIM reaching out to with a commercial of a guy taking pictures of fruit who says he sends 400 emails a day? Not very big.

If RIM would just make Blackberry cool again to the masses starting with BB10 then everything else will fall into place. They need to stop worrying about guy in the commercial who sends 400 emails a day because there are more people who play Angry Birds then who do that type of emailing.

I get so excited reading articles like this Boorow.com Story: In Depth: PlayBook 2.0: what you need to know because I realize that with QNX Blackberry really could be like Apple in the future and actually force THEM to change if they lay out this plan correctly.
    02-11-12 11:03 AM
    my thoughts exactly and hopefully the new marketing person will see that.
    02-11-12 11:41 AM
    Because as of right now, BlackBerry devices don't really have much of a "cool factor" to show off when compared to the competition. You have siri and a plethora of quality apps on iOS, and widgets with their functionality and real-time connectivity on Android. What "cool" features do current BlackBerry devices have to compete with that? Now, the Playbook is a horse of a different color. I think that could definitely be marketed as s "cool" device, especially after OS2 hits. Instead, RIM went "the first professional-grade tablet" route, even though it was missing native email and calendar out of the gate. Huge miss, imho.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 02-11-12 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
    02-11-12 11:56 AM
    Because as of right now, BlackBerry devices don't really have much of a "cool factor" to show off when compared to the competition. You have siri and a plethora of quality apps on iOS, and widgets with their functionality of real-time connectivity on Android. What "cool" features do current BlackBerry devices have to compete with that?
    This is the answer.

Marketing/advertising can only take you so far... if you don't have a product people want, no amount of advertising will convince people to buy the product.
    02-11-12 12:14 PM
    Because you can't tell people you're cool, that's what uncool people do.
    BerryDude28904 likes this.
    02-11-12 01:05 PM
    I think Apple has the "cool" factor. But I think BlackBerry should use celebrities in different industries in commercials to show what they use THEIR BlackBerry for, showing different features on different phones. It's a simple concept, but it's so simple I think it could work.
    deezy87 and Stewartj1 like this.
    02-11-12 05:57 PM
    I think Apple has the "cool" factor. But I think BlackBerry should use celebrities in different industries in commercials to show what they use THEIR BlackBerry for, showing different features on different phones. It's a simple concept, but it's so simple I think it could work.
    But what happens when the general public sees that celebs use their BBs for the same things they use their devices for? For example, say there's a commercial where Beyonce is using a BB to tweet, share pics, keep track of her schedule, BBM/text/IM her family and friends, use GPS when she's in a new area for a shoot, etc. The consumer with an android/ios device will be like "But I can already do all that on my phone" and ignore the commercial, unless the commercial is targeting kids. The Sidekick devices, for example, were heavily marketed by celebs kids identified with or looked up to like Tony Hawk, D Wade, etc. They sold a lot of devices that way. Adults would be harder to sway by celebrity endorsements. I love Ellen but I don't particularly care what phone she uses, you know?
    02-11-12 06:12 PM
    RIM should advertise the advantages of having a Blackberry over an iPhone/Android. There are lots of people who want good basic features but feel they only have 2 options.

They should advertise:

*long(er) battery life
    *the convenience of the touch + trackpad + keyboard combo
    *the awesome keyboard (no more embarrassing typos!)
    *business AND personal use
    *bridging to the Playbook (like a guy receiving a notice on his playbook that he's receiving a call. Thats pretty cool to me)
    *upgraded browser
    Last edited by shemaree09; 02-11-12 at 06:37 PM.
    02-11-12 06:14 PM
    RIM should advertise the advantages of having a Blackberry over an iPhone/Android. There are lots of people who want good basic features but feel they only have 2 options.

They should advertise:

*long(er) battery life
    *bridging to the Playbook (like a guy receiving a notice on his playbook that he's receiving a call. Thats pretty cool to me)
    *upgraded browser
    Your answer is exactly why people don't think BB s cool. That and phone holsters.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-11-12 06:57 PM
    Your answer is exactly why people don't think BB s cool. That and phone holsters.
    those are some of the BIGGEST gripes about owning an iPhone/Android. Most people get frustrated with them because they die after 4 hours, constant typos, and no options.

Blackberry doesn't necessarily have the "apps" so they should advertise the advantages of getting a Blackberry instead.

most people dont have Blackberry's because they think they are "cool"

if anything, they should market Blackberry's as Communication/Social devices.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 02-11-12 at 07:16 PM.
    02-11-12 07:04 PM
    This is the answer.

Marketing/advertising can only take you so far... if you don't have a product people want, no amount of advertising will convince people to buy the product.
    Bingo. "Marketing"never satisfied anyone, and unsatisfied buyers don't become repeat buyers.
    02-11-12 07:08 PM
    I think 'tools not toys' says a lot quickly...it describes BlackBerry now and where it's going and it was only mentioned in one commercial...there will be more commercials

They need to get 'cooler' with the tools not toys concept. But I actually like what they've done so far.

I agree they should use more celebrities. Are there celebrities that really like using BlackBerry...they should use the opportunity.

Ideally you want product people talking about longer battery life, bridging, etc.. in carrier stores
    02-11-12 07:09 PM
    those are some of the BIGGEST gripes about owning an iPhone/Android. Most people get frustrated with them because they die after 4 hours, constant typos, and no options.
    Android doesn't have options? Android has more "options" than any other platform. Therefore, if Android lacks options EVERYONE lacks options. As for "most people getting frustrated with them," sales data suggests otherwise.
    teknishun likes this.
    02-11-12 07:13 PM

They should advertise:

*long(er) battery life
    *upgraded browser
    Battery life - Yes, absolutely

Touch, keyboard, trackpad combo - The trend is toward thin devices with large screens. This is what sells these days. Advertising this combo will fall on deaf ears unless it's an impressionable first time smartphone buyer.

Keyboard - See above. For those that have mastered a soft keyboard this will fall on deaf ears. Mastering autocorrect, however....

Business and personal use - iOS and Android has this functionality too, very well in fact. Plus a lot of that is app-based.

Playbook bridging - From a marketing standpoint this is a bad idea when targeting your basic
    smartphone user. Many people just won't understand what that means and it has already been a source of confusion. I've come across several people in the wild who honestly thought a playbook would not work without a blackberry. Also, keep in mind that most other tablets have native email, calendar, etc without the need for a separate device, and most smartphones can be used as a wifi hotspot.

This is just my opinion, but from an advertising standpoint there's really not much that can be said about BB over iOS or Android that the public will get excited over at this point in time. I really hope BB10 will change that.
    02-11-12 07:18 PM
    Android doesn't have options? Android has more "options" than any other platform. Therefore, if Android lacks options EVERYONE lacks options. As for "most people getting frustrated with them," sales data suggests otherwise.
    forget sales. Popularity = sales

remember when you had to hold the iPhone just right to make calls? People were frustrated but they still sold....
    Last edited by shemaree09; 02-11-12 at 07:21 PM.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    02-11-12 07:18 PM
    I think 'tools not toys' says a lot quickly...it describes BlackBerry now and where it's going and it was only mentioned in one commercial...there will be more commercials

They need to get 'cooler' with the tools not toys concept. But I actually like what they've done so far.
    So far with the "tools not toys" campaign I've seen DJs using their device to take and send pics and use Twitter, things I've been doing on my phones since my Sidekick days. I'm honestly not sure who this is supposed to speak to.
    02-11-12 07:25 PM
    forget sales. Popularity = sales
    Exactly. Products that people don't like aren't "popular." Satisfaction = popularity
    remember when you had to hold the iPhone just right to make calls? People were frustrated but they still sold....
    You make it sound like you could only make calls at night in a fog under water. If the unbiased facts don't make your point, you can't solve the problem by simply slanting the facts.
    02-11-12 07:25 PM
    Exactly. Products that people don't like aren't "popular." Satisfaction = popularity

You make it sound like you could only make calls at night in a fog under water. If the unbiased facts don't make your point, you can't solve the problem by simply slanting the facts.
    my point is, all devices have some type of frustration. Some of the frustrations that people experience with other platforms/phones could be alleviated with a Blackberry.

Blackberry commercials should focus on the reasons most of us STILL choose to use them. Not because they are popular or cool, but because of function.
    02-11-12 07:31 PM

Blackberry doesn't necessarily have the "apps" so they should advertise the advantages of getting a Blackberry instead.

most people dont have Blackberry's because they think they are "cool"

if anything, they should market Blackberry's as Communication/Social devices.
    Battery life doesn't make a phone "cool" or "not cool". Neither does bridging when a not everyone owns a BB phones.

I'm not sure you get what I'm trying to say. Not insult intended though.
    02-11-12 07:38 PM
    my point is, all devices have some type of frustration. Some of the frustrations that people experience with other platforms/phones could be alleviated with a Blackberry.

Blackberry commercials should focus on the reasons most of us STILL choose to use them. Not because they are popular or cool, but because of function.
    And likewise, switching to Android/iOS could alleviate frustrations some users have about BB. That's why I switched. I do not think BB commercials need to cater to those already using the platform. That's just preaching to the choir. And those who have switched know about the added functionality other platforms offer, I'm afraid.
    02-11-12 07:39 PM
    So far with the "tools not toys" campaign I've seen DJs using their device to take and send pics and use Twitter, things I've been doing on my phones since my Sidekick days. I'm honestly not sure who this is supposed to speak to.

Their approach is to show successful people using BlackBerry...this should work if you use high profile celebrities

Android ads always show speed, watching movies on a large screen...they have the tech approach

The latest iPhone commercial talks about iCloud or the great camera...they have the ecosystem approach

BlackBerry has app integration with BBM...which I think is cool...one presentation at Devcon showed 3 phones 'hooking-up' with Nobex, that was cool...augmented reality (Ex. wikipedia) is cool

I think RIM needs to get much more creative with BBM app integration commercials...
    02-11-12 07:43 PM
    And likewise, switching to Android/iOS could alleviate frustrations some users have about BB. That's why I switched. I do not think BB commercials need to cater to those already using the platform. That's just preaching to the choir. And those who have switched know about the added functionality other platforms offer, I'm afraid.
    i somewhat agree. Everyone is not happy with their iPhone or Blackberry.

why not cater to those who may not be happy with their device.

thats why i switched. I couldnt stand my iPhone because i constantly had to charge it, typing on it sucked, and I felt so limited on what I could do with it.

i use my phone mainly for messaging. Texting, tweeting, and email.

the new Bold 9900 is the best Blackberry out. It serves my basic needs very well. The upgraded OS 7, web browser , and touchscreen are added bonuses.
    02-11-12 07:45 PM
    And my point is that if people didn't like the iPhone or Android, then those products would not be popular or cool for very long. We're now 4.5 years into the iPhone, and they keep selling more. Same for Android, though for a shorter period.
    02-11-12 07:46 PM
    Their approach is to show successful people using BlackBerry...this should work if you use high profile celebrities

Android ads always show speed, watching movies on a large screen...they have the tech approach

The latest iPhone commercial talks about iCloud or the great camera...they have the ecosystem approach

BlackBerry has app integration with BBM...which I think is cool...one presentation at Devcon showed 3 phones 'hooking-up' with Nobex, that was cool...augmented reality (Ex. wikipedia) is cool

I think RIM needs to get much more creative with BBM app integration commercials...
    I love BBM and all the app and social integration. The only problem is that you need a BB for BBM. RIM needs to get devices into the hands of consumers to make those functions known. But unfortunately current BB devices aren't as exciting as other platforms. This is where I hope BB10 will excel.

i somewhat agree. Everyone is not happy with their iPhone or Blackberry.

why not cater to those who may not be happy with their device.

thats why i switched. I couldnt stand my iPhone because i constantly had to charge it, typing on it sucked, and I felt so limited on what I could do with it.

i use my phone mainly for messaging. Texting, tweeting, and email.

the new Bold 9900 is the best Blackberry out. It serves my basic needs very well. The upgraded OS 7, web browser , and touchscreen are added bonuses.
    And that just shows that everyone has different needs, and different platforms cater to those needs. Right now other platforms cater to the majority of users.
    02-11-12 07:55 PM

Ideally you want product people talking about longer battery life, bridging, etc.. in carrier stores
    Yes. More slogan. Tools not toys. Amateur hour is over. Leap frogging the competition.

FYI - the competition is eating RIM's lunch in the consumer market place.

And they're not putting out these lame slogans. I'm mean what does "Tools not toys" even mean??

"I'm a PC.". Didn't send Apple to the afterlife, but "Tools not toys" will??

More sales and less slogans Waterloo.

RIM needs to make a decision about where they want to b a strive for that. It has already missed the consumer market explosion. At least they did in what are, so far, the largest consumer markets.
    02-11-12 07:55 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD