Blackberry used to use 80386 processors. Those could handle ms-dos. Wonder if their OS was dos-based early on with a shell? Hehehe

Just makes me wonder...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-10 05:53 PM
    Functionality maybe? Most of us don't need anything the Droid heads or iPhone zombies need. It's a phone to a lot of us, it's that simple.

08-31-10 06:04 PM
    Functionality maybe? Most of us don't need anything the Droid heads or iPhone zombies need. It's a phone to a lot of us, it's that simple.

Droid heads and iPhone zombies? What do you call BB users? Cheap dates?
    08-31-10 06:11 PM

Speak for yourself a perfect phone for me would basically be a droid in a BOLD form factor! RIM is closer to dumb phones right now than androids!
    08-31-10 06:14 PM
    seriously! useless?

anyway, I do agree RIM is looking far to down the road in it's road maps, they don't realize there are potential forks and detours that they need to make, they are still on a 2-3 year plan with phone designs, when they need to be looking at a significant improvement every 12-24 months per device brand, so a New Storm would hit every 12-24 months that was Major improvement over the previous, a New Bold would hit every 12-24 Months with Major improvements, a New Curve, a New Pearl you get the idea! so every 4-6 months you're seeing a great new Blackberry hit the shelf, catering to each users taste. Come on RIM find a processor family that you can mate with, get a Memory Vendor that will work with you on getting costs down while increasing volumes, and get a Display vendor that will push the technological envelope and get you quality lower power displays!
    Basically take notes from the companies making phones for the android platform!
    08-31-10 06:16 PM
    Droid heads and iPhone zombies? What do you call BB users? Cheap dates?
    Crack addicts.

Speak for yourself a perfect phone for me would basically be a droid in a BOLD form factor! RIM is closer to dumb phones right now than androids!
    RIM is far from a Dumbphone, Androids are closer to Media players, or Netbooks than they are smartphones. RIM is very much a smartPHONE they still are primarily communication devices.

Basically take notes from the companies making phones for the android platform!

I would really hope they DIDN'T take note from the company's making Android phones, I don't see clear progression from the Hardware manufacturers with the Software available, they don't always line up. RIM has the power to launch hardware and software complementary to each other,
    08-31-10 06:36 PM
    Crack addicts.
    Lol very true.
    08-31-10 06:39 PM
    Crack addicts.

RIM is far from a Dumbphone, Androids are closer to Media players, or Netbooks than they are smartphones. RIM is very much a smartPHONE they still are primarily communication devices.

The last dumbphone I had I could use the internet(almost at the same speed),check my email and text. What more can a BB do for me except push email? Android is the direction smartphones are heading and everyone knows that RIM will have to follow to stay successful.

I would really hope they DIDN'T take note from the company's making Android phones, I don't see clear progression from the Hardware manufacturers with the Software available, they don't always line up. RIM has the power to launch hardware and software complementary to each other,
    Better than RIM's strategy lately. Not really do much of anything?
    08-31-10 06:43 PM
    The last dumbphone I had I could use the internet(almost at the same speed),check my email and text. What more can a BB do for me except push email? Android is the direction smartphones are heading and everyone knows that RIM will have to follow to stay successful.
    Wirelessly sync with my Notebook calendar / contacts / task management
    Create group notifications for critical announcements with passive delivery notification and received notification
    History of phone conversations based on user
    easily sharing of soundbites/voicenotes

RIM doesn't make mediaphones yet, they are smartphones, Droids are awesome Mediaphones.
    08-31-10 06:49 PM
    Create group notifications for critical announcements with passive delivery notification and received notification

RIM doesn't make mediaphones yet, they are smartphones, Droids are awesome Mediaphones.
    I get what you are saying, but to say android is not a smartphone is crazy. At work i am always using my employee's droid over my bold for certain things. It has never been vise versa.
    Last edited by jebulls; 08-31-10 at 07:01 PM.
    08-31-10 06:58 PM
    I get what you are saying, but to say android is not a smartphone is crazy. At work i am always using my employee's droid over my bold for certain things. It has never been vise versa.
    I'm saying the Droid is more a Mediadevice then a SmartPhone, that isn't an insult to the device, it is just that the the Droid and the iPhone really should have their own class, Droid's are closer to being netbooks then phones, especially with Hotspot creation. and overclocking of the processors, and multiple manufacturers building with the same OS
    08-31-10 07:08 PM

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/hot...vesync-520831/

Originally Posted by alby4ever
    What's funny is now the whole "BB rules email" argument just took another huge hit.

So now with Android, if you have Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo mail (the big three), you now have FULL PUSH and SYNC services for email, contacts, and calendar - where you can actually look at older emails that were in your inbox before you synced.

Ya an Android in a bold form factor would rule!
    08-31-10 07:09 PM
    08-31-10 07:13 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/hot...vesync-520831/

Originally Posted by alby4ever
    What's funny is now the whole "BB rules email" argument just took another huge hit.

So now with Android, if you have Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo mail (the big three), you now have FULL PUSH and SYNC services for email, contacts, and calendar - where you can actually look at older emails that were in your inbox before you synced.

Ya an Android in a bold form factor would rule!

Problem is Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail all have really crappy Contact managers, Wait I should leave hotmail out, it's been a long time since I used hotmail. and I Pay for google apps/gmail to have the added functionality/space/no ads, but I still hate googles contact management and need to use Outlook for that.

I would consider an Android in a Bold form factor if built well, HTC doesn't make a good keyboard yet, nor does Motorola, maybe Samsung or Dell Can do it.
    08-31-10 07:18 PM
    Problem is Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail all have really crappy Contact managers, Wait I should leave hotmail out, it's been a long time since I used hotmail. and I Pay for google apps/gmail to have the added functionality/space/no ads, but I still hate googles contact management and need to use Outlook for that.

I would consider an Android in a Bold form factor if built well, HTC doesn't make a good keyboard yet, nor does Motorola, maybe Samsung or Dell Can do it.
    Yeah thats why I hope RIM really gets their act together with all the tablet rumors and the smartphones from RIM after that with a new os. Because when it comes down to it no one can duplicate BB kb! Right now if I were to try android I would be hoping I could adapt to the virtual kb! That is one the RIM has nailed. They kb and the looks of the phone for that matter. need more power and speed.
    08-31-10 07:33 PM
    I'm just saying that with a better processor there would be more apps capable of running smoothly on BB devices therefore having more options in the app world. Also BBM is lagging sometimes as well as the internet which is pathetic. I'm assuming the processor plays a role in that, if anything.
    08-31-10 07:52 PM

a lot of folks seem to ignore the fact that often these days "communication" involves being able to use webpages in a fairly expedient manner also, in addition to just push email that won't allow you to search your messages already saved in your account unless you pull up the web interface, but wait, that's slow as heck...

I'd love to be able to check my credit card statement online but BB doesn't play nice enough with javascripts on webpages/allow popups, etc.

Sure, RIM has the power to launch hardware and software that compliments eachother. Sadly, they have evolved neither the hardware nor have they evolved the software. Their push email is becoming dated, come on, where's the ability to check your existing messages in your accounts? They're content with making minor, incremental changes in a world of electronics that rewrite the game every 6-18 months or so...
    Edited to add:

My Tour lags badly even with just the 5 basic un-closable apps running. The groups I'm in can cause it to hang for up to a minute all on their own. Then add in MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, internet forums/websites, etc and the thing can just grind right to a halt. That's hardware related, as in insufficient hardware to support even basic multitasking in a snappy/lag-free manner.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 08-31-10 at 08:06 PM.
    08-31-10 08:03 PM
    I'm just saying that with a better processor there would be more apps capable of running smoothly on BB devices therefore having more options in the app world. Also BBM is lagging sometimes as well as the internet which is pathetic. I'm assuming the processor plays a role in that, if anything.

you are probably correct,

and as was talked about before we got off topic, it largely has to do with their current Vendor for Processors. RIM isn't quick to change things, as they build their own software stack for working with the modem chips, one can only assume they couldn't break out a new software stack for GSM phones so they have to stick with Marvel a little longer.
    08-31-10 08:04 PM

a lot of folks seem to ignore the fact that often these days "communication" involves being able to use webpages in a fairly expedient manner also, in addition to just push email that won't allow you to search your messages already saved in your account unless you pull up the web interface, but wait, that's slow as heck...
    Depends on your "communication" needs, I have very few issues with BB's and webpages I need to access, but this is a weak point,

A deficiency with BIS vs BES, as I can search all my BES emails on the server which are sorted into folders, my BIS phone can not, and I agree RIM does need too look at the BIS issues, something they must do if they wish to really be a consumer phone.

I'd love to be able to check my credit card statement online but BB doesn't play nice enough with javascripts on webpages/allow popups, etc.
    I semi agree, I actually wish my Credit Card would embrace the Digital age and allow an email address to be linked to my Card so I would receive an email for every transaction updating my Credit account.
    I don't need more from RIM I need more from My Credit Card.

Sure, RIM has the power to launch hardware and software that compliments eachother. Sadly, they have evolved neither the hardware nor have they evolved the software. Their push email is becoming dated, come on, where's the ability to check your existing messages in your accounts? They're content with making minor, incremental changes in a world of electronics that rewrite the game every 6-18 months or so...
    [/quote]

The evolution of the RIM OS is actually quite nice, on their current 3 year Road map, go back to a 7000 series, then 8000, now 9000 and you'll see the evolution, they are just too slow. I don't count apps as OS evolution, app development ease would be an evolution of the OS, which RIM seems to be addressing in OS6

Again BES offers what you want, BIS is at fault, and RIM needs to put focus on BIS features, they have the technology, it just isn't available to the consumer for some reason.

I don't think the PUSH email is dated at all, how can it be, someone send me an email I get that email, what else do I want out of the PUSH email? when I send an email I get a notification if it sends or not.

We can agree RIM needs to move faster, and RIM needs to make better hardware partnerships, they got caught with a BAD GSM processor vendor, and didn't see it IMO, they better rectify it.
    08-31-10 08:15 PM
    Edited to add:

My Tour lags badly even with just the 5 basic un-closable apps running. The groups I'm in can cause it to hang for up to a minute all on their own. Then add in MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, internet forums/websites, etc and the thing can just grind right to a halt. That's hardware related, as in insufficient hardware to support even basic multitasking in a snappy/lag-free manner.
    I actually had the same issue with Groups

once I removed BBM groups I experience NO lag with my tour, BBM groups seems to take too much priority always receiving updates / checking for updates for all members, I really hope RIM is addressing that, which IMO is more software than hardware as I can run lots of communication tools like MSN, BBM, Yahoo, and have a steadyflow of emails without the lag,

no one is disputing that RIM needs to increase their hardware offerings, this topic WAS though it has digressed from the topic a speculation as to why RIM hasn't increased their hardware offerings, for which I put my 2 cents into the ring multiple times
    08-31-10 08:20 PM
    Depends on your "communication" needs, I have very few issues with BB's and webpages I need to access, but this is a weak point,

A deficiency with BIS vs BES, as I can search all my BES emails on the server which are sorted into folders, my BIS phone can not, and I agree RIM does need too look at the BIS issues, something they must do if they wish to really be a consumer phone.

. I concur with that. It is a large deficiency with BIS, since other platforms (android) now has Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo push with the ability to view archived messages. This could be hardware or software related as to why they have chosen to keep this limitation in place.

I semi agree, I actually wish my Credit Card would embrace the Digital age and allow an email address to be linked to my Card so I would receive an email for every transaction updating my Credit account.
    I don't need more from RIM I need more from My Credit Card.

. I should have been more clear. I want to be able to access my credit card company's webpage so I can pay my bill, check balance, and so forth, all via my mobile device when I happen to be out and about. That, to me, is an example of critical, or at least semi-critical communication.

Then, there's also the matter of the company I buy electricity from, or vzw, etc who use flash to run their pages, which has at least had a "lite" version available on other devices for a bit.

The software and hardware to run these things is sorely lacking.

The evolution of the RIM OS is actually quite nice, on their current 3 year Road map, go back to a 7000 series, then 8000, now 9000 and you'll see the evolution, they are just too slow. I don't count apps as OS evolution, app development ease would be an evolution of the OS, which RIM seems to be addressing in OS6

Again BES offers what you want, BIS is at fault, and RIM needs to put focus on BIS features, they have the technology, it just isn't available to the consumer for some reason.

I don't think the PUSH email is dated at all, how can it be, someone send me an email I get that email, what else do I want out of the PUSH email? when I send an email I get a notification if it sends or not.

We can agree RIM needs to move faster, and RIM needs to make better hardware partnerships, they got caught with a BAD GSM processor vendor, and didn't see it IMO, they better rectify it.

Push email isn't dated, but RIM's lack of innovation/the lack of being able to sync folders/archived messages on BIS is. That's the dated part, since android can now push and sync folders/archives for 3 providers.

I agree, the groups are part of what slows the device significantly, however, again, the device is lacking the hardware performance it needs in order to properly handle their software.

Sorry, but their CDMA processors haven't been all that advanced either, and if their roadmap was a little more future oriented, the processor limitations could have been addressed/headed off, at the same rate as the android processor technology evolved.

08-31-10 08:38 PM
    .Sorry, but their CDMA processors haven't been all that advanced either, and if their roadmap was a little more future oriented, the processor limitations could have been addressed/headed off, at the same rate as the android processor technology evolved.
    I think the CDMA issue is you can't give Verizon a 1Ghz phone, and AT&T a 600Mhz phone and Not heavily **** off AT&T and other GSM providers world wide. they need to get the GSM and the CDMA on par

I agree complete lack of foresight on their part, or Marvell has a really good talking sales guy who kept leading them on about the next processor coming that never came....
    08-31-10 08:42 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD