Simple question, really. If they were to beef up their processors (to 1ghz+), then they would compete with Apple/Android with no problems. I don't see what stops them from doing so. The speculated iPhone 5 is suggested to rock a 1.2ghz processor by 2011, and BlackBerry at best has a 624mhz processor.

Can anybody answer this?
    08-31-10 01:47 PM
    Simple question, really. If they were to beef up their processors (to 1ghz+), then they would compete with Apple/Android with no problems. I don't see what stops them from doing so. The speculated iPhone 5 is suggested to rock a 1.2ghz processor by 2011, and BlackBerry at best has a 624mhz processor.

Can anybody answer this?

on the GSM Side RIM uses Marvell Processors, 624mhz is the fastest Marvell available as far as I can find out.

on the CDMA side RIM uses Qualcomm so on the CDMA side the next "Big thing" from them should be equipped with a competitive processor if it is not, then I fear they are not looking forward enough.

hopefully they are moving to Qualcomm for the Next generation GSM phones as well
    08-31-10 01:50 PM
    To me it seems like RIM isn't even trying to compete with android or apple? Its almost like RIM is saying here is our product, its what we have had and we are not changing. It's almost like a beginning to an end. I am shocked that the 9780 isn't packing the guts to compete. I know if I was on att and I had a 9700 and was looking at a new phone it wouldn't be 9780. Hardly an upgrade. Would give android a chance just because they are pushing the envelope. COME ON RIM! At least sell your kb to Moto or someone that puts out android phones
    08-31-10 01:55 PM
    Why doesn't RIM bump up the processor for BlackBerry?
    Because they suck.
    08-31-10 01:58 PM
    To me it seems like RIM isn't even trying to compete with android or apple? Its almost like RIM is saying here is our product, its what we have had and we are not changing.
    you hit the nail right on the head.. .. .. That is all they are worried about the Government Customers/ The Business Customers... all the BES users of the world.

the people that HAVE to use their product v. the people who WANT to use their product.

I will say that RIM is listening to their customers, The Beta Zone, when it comes to software but they need beefier units.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-10 01:59 PM
    Rumor has it the LTE Storm (Storm4???) will have a 1G processor.
    08-31-10 02:10 PM
    I feel that it is a balance between performance and longevity. The slower processors will use much less power than a much faster processor. How many complaints on the Droid side say that they need to be plugged in before the day is over, and our blackberries can go a couple days between charges. This is vital to business users, and lets face it, a good chunk of RIM's business is enterprise users. I really appreciate the fact that I can actually use my BB all day, and not have to worry about finding a place to sit down and charge it. I feel that the 624mhz is a nice balance between power and performance.
    Run smoothly, all day.
    08-31-10 02:16 PM
    I feel that it is a balance between performance and longevity. The slower processors will use much less power than a much faster processor. How many complaints on the Droid side say that they need to be plugged in before the day is over, and our blackberries can go a couple days between charges. This is vital to business users, and lets face it, a good chunk of RIM's business is enterprise users. I really appreciate the fact that I can actually use my BB all day, and not have to worry about finding a place to sit down and charge it. I feel that the 624mhz is a nice balance between power and performance.
    Run smoothly, all day.
    This sounds like a legit answer. But some android phones last just as long as a Blackberry (from what I've read on these forums).
    And if battery was an issue, why doesn't RIM improve on their battery hardware then?
    08-31-10 02:25 PM
    Rumor has it the LTE Storm (Storm4???) will have a 1G processor.
    Which again will be behind the competition when it comes out! But in saying that I wouldn't want something overpowered with a 3 hour bat life too. I mean if you have an original droid you have to admit that it has the guts to out perform any brand new BB if you were to go to the store and purchase a phone today!
    08-31-10 02:26 PM
    Run smoothly, all day.
    I think 800 to 1G with BOLDs form factor should be manageable with Battery life. Even if they would make it touch screen it won't have to handle a 4.3 inch screen or anything like that. RIM just does not care....yet anyways!
    08-31-10 02:29 PM
    battery life? Idk, i'm just throwing stuff out
    08-31-10 02:45 PM
    My fiancee' has the lastest a ngreat Droid and it dies so quickly, that she literally had to dowload an app to kill programs running in the background to extend her battery life, which is less than 10 hours of use. I can run my BB all day long and still have juice to start the next day. Bigger processor = bigger battery drain....plus I think RIM will roll out a bigger processor soon, but it'll be a phone more like the iPhones, and Droids which are marketed towards the younger crowds. The BlackBerry is a working phone, yes it has some flash to it, but it is a phone that the comsumer market is a business class person. RIM will bend to meet expectations but the core market for them will remain business people.
    Last edited by Tarheelfan40; 08-31-10 at 02:58 PM. Reason: because i'm a moron and cannot spell! lol
    08-31-10 02:55 PM
    hopefully they are moving to Qualcomm for the Next generation GSM phones as well
    OMAP > Snapdragon. If BB users want to continue to have great battery life, OMAP is much more efficient, and faster.
    08-31-10 03:11 PM
    9650 is plenty fast with the current processor and my current apps. Although I feel as though app developers are crippled by what they can offer on the blackberry platform. We could get better apps if RIM gave us better hardware. I'm with the other guy. RIM should sell its keyboard to android.

08-31-10 03:18 PM
    9650 is plenty fast with the current processor and my current apps. Although I feel as though app developers are crippled by what they can offer on the blackberry platform. We could get better apps if RIM gave us better hardware. I'm with the other guy. RIM should sell its keyboard to android.

Some things are fast on the BOLD. But things like the web browsing, and even when going to the app store you wait and wait for things to come up. The BOLD is def better than the curve I had but they have a long ways to go!!
    08-31-10 03:28 PM
    Some things are fast on the BOLD. But things like the web browsing, and even when going to the app store you wait and wait for things to come up. The BOLD is def better than the curve I had but they have a long ways to go!!
    The web is plenty fast. (As long as you only use it for browsing crackberry mobile without javascript)
    08-31-10 03:36 PM
    on the GSM Side RIM uses Marvell Processors, 624mhz is the fastest Marvell available as far as I can find out.
    They make faster ones, and ones using A8 tech. They call it their ARMADA line. I believe the one for cellphones is the 600 series, but I would have to look it up to be certain.
    08-31-10 03:38 PM
    RIM says "You'll eat your porridge and like it!!"

I've grown accustomed to porridge.

08-31-10 03:48 PM
    They make faster ones, and ones using A8 tech. They call it their ARMADA line. I believe the one for cellphones is the 600 series, but I would have to look it up to be certain.
    They don't have any A8 chips, just comparable custom built ones that they make with the Sheeva PJ4 cores (for the 500s, 600s). They don't have a processor license higher than ARM9, but they have the latest architecture licenses that allow ARMv6 and ARMv7 instruction sets.

I think RIMs reluctance to go forward is that they think the current chips provide just enough, and don't think about 8-12 months down the road where other devices are still kicking like the Droid and most notably the Pre and 3GS and get the latest software updates to expand the devices use life.

Sadly they struggle with today's applications and 8 months down the road your device is useless being completely eclipsed for some arbitrary reason.
    08-31-10 04:13 PM
    OMAP > Snapdragon. If BB users want to continue to have great battery life, OMAP is much more efficient, and faster.

I think that Largely has to do with the Fact that OMAP is on the 45nm process, and the Snapdragon is still a 60nm process. power consumption should go down when Qualcomm moves to the 45nm process as that is usually what happens.

Really I have not over all love for any of the chip manufacturers. but I really hope that Qualcomm is planning to move to the Cortex-A9 arcitechture, and 45nm process in the near future to allow RIM something exciting to offer the consumer and get the power management they need.
    08-31-10 05:25 PM
    I think that Largely has to do with the Fact that OMAP is on the 45nm process, and the Snapdragon is still a 60nm process. power consumption should go down when Qualcomm moves to the 45nm process as that is usually what happens.

Really I have not over all love for any of the chip manufacturers. but I really hope that Qualcomm is planning to move to the Cortex-A9 arcitechture, and 45nm process in the near future to allow RIM something exciting to offer the consumer and get the power management they need.
    True, but the new OMAP processors are coming out soon as well and they are suppose to be beasts. I can care less who makes the chip, as long as it is good.
    08-31-10 05:32 PM
    I get about the same battery life on my Droid X that I got on my BB 8900, with the same type of useage.

A lot of the bad battery life storys on Android are tied to HTC. They use underpowered batteries (I think the battery in the Incredible is only 1350 mAH, PATHETIC) and then use power sucking amoled screens on top of it. The major of the Moto built devices seem to do just fine.
    08-31-10 05:40 PM
    True, but the new OMAP processors are coming out soon as well and they are suppose to be beasts. I can care less who makes the chip, as long as it is good.

Until they are comparing Oranges to Oranges, it is really difficult to compare which would be better, I think when they are all running A9 we'll see who makes the better SoC, Qualcomm does have the fact they make arguably the BEST CDMA baseband modem on their side, and OMAP doesn't offer a baseband modem on the chip.

But unlike in the PC world, my Smartphone decisions wont be based on the processor, but on the Phone its self really not much is out there to wow me away from my next phone being a RIM device.
    08-31-10 05:44 PM
    Until they are comparing Oranges to Oranges, it is really difficult to compare which would be better, I think when they are all running A9 we'll see who makes the better SoC, Qualcomm does have the fact they make arguably the BEST CDMA baseband modem on their side, and OMAP doesn't offer a baseband modem on the chip.

But unlike in the PC world, my Smartphone decisions wont be based on the processor, but on the Phone its self really not much is out there to wow me away from my next phone being a RIM device.
    That is totally understandable. RIM should upgrade their processors though (don't even need super high clock speeds) because they could get even better battery life out of these new ones.
    08-31-10 05:49 PM
    They don't have any A8 chips, just comparable custom built ones that they make with the Sheeva PJ4 cores (for the 500s, 600s). They don't have a processor license higher than ARM9, but they have the latest architecture licenses that allow ARMv6 and ARMv7 instruction sets.

I think RIMs reluctance to go forward is that they think the current chips provide just enough, and don't think about 8-12 months down the road where other devices are still kicking like the Droid and most notably the Pre and 3GS and get the latest software updates to expand the devices use life.

Sadly they struggle with today's applications and 8 months down the road your device is useless being completely eclipsed for some arbitrary reason.
    seriously! useless?

anyway, I do agree RIM is looking far to down the road in it's road maps, they don't realize there are potential forks and detours that they need to make, they are still on a 2-3 year plan with phone designs, when they need to be looking at a significant improvement every 12-24 months per device brand, so a New Storm would hit every 12-24 months that was Major improvement over the previous, a New Bold would hit every 12-24 Months with Major improvements, a New Curve, a New Pearl you get the idea! so every 4-6 months you're seeing a great new Blackberry hit the shelf, catering to each users taste. Come on RIM find a processor family that you can mate with, get a Memory Vendor that will work with you on getting costs down while increasing volumes, and get a Display vendor that will push the technological envelope and get you quality lower power displays!
    08-31-10 05:52 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD