I do think it would be cool if BlackBerry got into the email and search business from a security and privacy perspective. A lot of people are really leary of Google tracking and selling their data. In fact there are a few search engines aimed at this market but the engines are sub-par.

Imagine blackberry offers what Google does but doesn't try to profit from data mining or advertising. Not sure how expensive it is to run a search division but it would be a hell of a selling feature of you could be in the blackberry ecosystem and feel that all your data and privacy was being protected and respected. I'd be all over it.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 09:19 PM
    BlackBerry invented cloud well before anyone thought about it

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 10:13 PM
    Becouse of android run time all apps dsnt work same
    How can android apps backup as built for BlackBerry apps
    Aahaah
    Android line will ruin BlackBerry I know that
    Amazon contrack will make os more worse

posted via Q10
    09-09-14 12:41 AM
    I for one would love an icloud like feature!

Call it BlackBerry Satellite. Sounds secure

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 07:02 AM
    I do think it would be cool if BlackBerry got into the email and search business from a security and privacy perspective. A lot of people are really leary of Google tracking and selling their data. In fact there are a few search engines aimed at this market but the engines are sub-par.

Imagine blackberry offers what Google does but doesn't try to profit from data mining or advertising. Not sure how expensive it is to run a search division but it would be a hell of a selling feature of you could be in the blackberry ecosystem and feel that all your data and privacy was being protected and respected. I'd be all over it.

Posted via CB10
    I was referring to things like cloud storage, email.

Posted via my Q10
    09-09-14 08:15 AM
    As far as I know, they had a cloud outfit (they bought NewBay in 2011, a firm specialized in the development of mobile phone software that allows users to create, store and share digital content in the cloud), but they decided to sell it at the end of 2012 - I guess they needed the money.
    Maybe someone can share more insight on this but I'm pretty sure blackberry took the patents and still own them today

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 01:48 PM
    ...which is essentially what the 'cloud' is...but on someone else's computer...BlackBerry Link basically meets the criteria of a physical cloud server...

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    Except that with link you need to leave your computer on and with link running.... much easier to be able to shut down your laptop / take it with you and use a cloud service....

Or am I the only one here who doesn't have a desktop home computer??

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 04:37 PM
    Except that with link you need to leave your computer on and with link running.... much easier to be able to shut down your laptop / take it with you and use a cloud service....

Or am I the only one here who doesn't have a desktop home computer??

Posted via CB10

...I put together an inexpensive tower that I leave on in my basement where no one sees or hears it...has a cheap keyboard, mouse, and a monitor for whenever I need to do some updates...and where I work...a laptop is all but useless...I use the mini desktop machine as my 'work server'...besides, a desktop tower is much better for massive amounts of 'cloud storage'...

09-09-14 05:21 PM
    ...I put together an inexpensive tower that I leave on in my basement where no one sees or hears it...has a cheap keyboard, mouse, and a monitor for whenever I need to do some updates...and where I work...a laptop is all but useless...I use the mini desktop machine as my 'work server'...besides, a desktop tower is much better for massive amounts of 'cloud storage'...

Really nice setup!

I still have my IBM t60 from school that works well. I'm debating between building out a tower, or just tossing in a SSD into the laptop.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 05:53 PM
    ...which is essentially what the 'cloud' is...but on someone else's computer...BlackBerry Link basically meets the criteria of a physical cloud server...

Ya except it's no where near as reliable as a service hosted at an actual data center staffeds by a team dedicated to keeping things running. I can't believe you compared BlackBerry Link to actual cloud services. They can barely keep BlackBerry link updated.

Posted via my Q10
    09-09-14 08:25 PM
    Really nice setup!

I still have my IBM t60 from school that works well. I'm debating between building out a tower, or just tossing in a SSD into the laptop.

Posted via CB10
    ...don't go the laptop route...tried that...problem is that as much as you try to keep it online...windows always finds an excuse to revert the power settings...and the next thing you know it goes to 'sleep' and cuts you off...

The tower, I used an old Compaq N66 (I think), updated the RAM to 1GB and all that's on that PC, is virus and firewall software, Win 7, and BlackBerry Link...works very well. I have a small SSD in there for Windows and the other software...and two big TB drives for storage...one is an exact mirror of the other as backup...the server also backs up (through N360) my laptops.

09-10-14 08:39 AM
    Ya except it's no where near as reliable as a service hosted at an actual data center staffeds by a team dedicated to keeping things running. I can't believe you compared BlackBerry Link to actual cloud services. They can barely keep BlackBerry link updated.

Posted via my Q10
    ...it's as reliable as the person who builds the machine...mine has been running non stop since I think it was March that I put it in...24/7...I check on it once a week for Windows updates (turn those off as some will reboot the machine and then leave you hanging on the password screen and Link can't get started)...

...since my 'cloud' only runs my needs, it doesn't need dedicated staff to keep it up and running...my attention once a week for maybe 15 minutes has been more than plenty to have kept it going since March...24/7...

I'd BlackBerry Link is doing what it has been designed to do (and it has been), and there are no glaring issues...there really isn't any need to update it all the time...unless a specific feature was to be added...

09-10-14 08:46 AM

Posted via my Q10
    ...and since my experiment has been a great success with old equipment and limited hard drive hook up, I will be upgrading to a newer system with more SATA ports...I would like to have four drives (two used, and two mirrored).

09-10-14 08:49 AM
    ...and since my experiment has been a great success with old equipment and limited hard drive hook up, I will be upgrading to a newer system with more SATA ports...I would like to have four drives (two used, and two mirrored).

...also, you can leave a relatively small SSD in your laptop...map the server drives to it for access at home (so you don't have to store all that stuff on it)...and if you need access to it out and about...you can always use a tethered BlackBerry 10 to move files back and forth as required...again, not as simplistic as say Dropbox on your laptop) but I prefer a few extra steps to having my stuff moved around other services...although, my Z30 tends to eliminate most of the need I had for a laptop anyway lol...

Definitely worth playing with and customize it to your uses and storage requirements...something not available on any cloud service...

09-10-14 08:59 AM
    Browsed the entire thread and noone mentioned the upcoming multi - platform cloud storage service by BlackBerry.
    http://el.blackberry.com/cloud
    I'm surprised this isn't even on the news by crackberry...
    This is the upcoming BES10/12 in the Cloud, the next step after the BES10 Cloud Market Preview that is running, and free, until March next year. Its coming has been reported by CrackBerry in the past even if the existence of this particular web page hasn't.

To be clear this is a paid for Cloud hosted Mobile Device Management (MDM) system, or as BlackBerry now calls it Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). It is for managing mobile devices in workplaces that have work mailboxes on them and also for connecting those devices in to internal networks in workplaces.

To be clear this is NOT a Cloud file storage or information synchronising system, which is what most consumers think that "the Cloud" is.

Cloud file storage/synchronising is just one thing that can be hosted as a Cloud service. But just about any computer system or service can be hosted as a Cloud service whether infrastructure or software or both.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    09-10-14 03:48 PM
    ...it's as reliable as the person who builds the machine...mine has been running non stop since I think it was March that I put it in...24/7...I check on it once a week for Windows updates (turn those off as some will reboot the machine and then leave you hanging on the password screen and Link can't get started)...

...since my 'cloud' only runs my needs, it doesn't need dedicated staff to keep it up and running...my attention once a week for maybe 15 minutes has been more than plenty to have kept it going since March...24/7...

I'd BlackBerry Link is doing what it has been designed to do (and it has been), and there are no glaring issues...there really isn't any need to update it all the time...unless a specific feature was to be added...

Thanks so there's you're solution which works great for you. Than there's everyone else that doesn't want to run their own home server in their basement... just so they can sync data.

Posted via my Q10
    09-10-14 07:19 PM
    Thanks so there's you're solution which works great for you. Than there's everyone else that doesn't want to run their own home server in their basement... just so they can sync data.

Posted via my Q10
    ...that's your assumption, I'm sure it would work for a lot once they try it out and realize how easy and low maintenance it is...I've found that BlackBerry people don't mind trying out a few things to achieve a said task...not because we have to...but because we can...

09-10-14 08:23 PM
    ++
    Even Apple has admitted that I cloud is not secure and has asked health-care app developers not to copy and store customer health data in the cloud.
    This was a news item on the BBC world News website a couple of days ago. You may still be able to read that article.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 11:40 PM
    ...that's your assumption, I'm sure it would work for a lot once they try it out and realize how easy and low maintenance it is...I've found that BlackBerry people don't mind trying out a few things to achieve a said task...not because we have to...but because we can...

The other commentor is right though,
    If blackberry wants to succeed, proper cloud services need to accessible at the touch of a button. If you like setting up work around, that's fine, but that's not 99% of consumers.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 09:21 AM
    If blackberry wants to succeed, proper cloud services need to accessible at the touch of a button. If you like setting up work around, that's fine, but that's not 99% of consumers.

Posted via CB10
    ...the thing is, that it is accessible 'at the touch of a button'...any cloud service requires some sort of set up...Link is marginally more complicated...but you only do it once...my solution is more in depth..but it's not required for most...what it does show however, is how far you CAN take BlackBerry Link...

09-13-14 12:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    These are the same people that said the "App Gap" is solved with Snap or Amazon App store. Except that push notifications don't work, apps become slow and unresponsive and they don't always format correctly for the screen.

Consumers aren't going to buy it especially when there are many more robust solution available. Also with all of these privacy problems, government spying and hacking all the big players Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, DropBox are throwing tons of money at security.
    The window is closing, BlackBerry can only play the security card for so long. So far the only people that seem to be biting are foreign governments.

Posted via my Q10
    09-13-14 04:22 PM
96 ... 234