If there were some way to stick BB10 on a desktop, even if by unconventional means, I'd go for it, just for the novelty of the experience.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    01-15-14 06:23 AM
    The PC market is in a decline, for several years now. People are migrating to tablets to use alongside their desktop computers which they keep for a longer amount of time before upgrading.
    Jumping in the desktop market would be a bad move, especially since BlackBerry is still aligning a viable strategy to stay relevant in the smartphone business.

I also don't see any appeal in a BlackBerry OS on a desktop. The BB10 OS is a gesture based OS so unless you have a touch monitor, you'll be using your mouse's scroll wheel like your life depends on it. Add to that the fact that only some applications will be available for use (the ones in BlackBerry World) and almost none of your peripheral hardware will work with it cause there won't be any drivers available, I just don't see the need to get BB10 in crippled form on a desktop.
    If you want, you can always hook up your Playbook via HDMI to your monitor and work like that but as said in this thread, you'll get a very limited desktop with very limited abilities.

What I'd be more interested in, is a BlackBerry branded desktop tower and Windows Theme. Think about it, BlackBerry is a brand that's being supported by loyalists, same as Apple. The drive to get everything in your house from one brand is common for every household. Like you have Apple families that have iPhones, iPads, iTV, etc... I would love to get my hands on anything BlackBerry. BB phone, BB Music Gateway, BB Playbook, BB TV (PlayBook hooked into TV with streaming app), BB desktop PC (BB branded tower and theme)...

Google is pushing it's way in our lives (recently acquired NEST) with Android based hardware, Apple is making a push to become the only used ecosystem in homes (tablets, phones, tv, Mac,...), Microsoft is pushing with XboxOne and Skype. I wouldn't think twice to buy BlackBerry hardware to use around the house but it needs to be functional.
    I'm guessing if they were to market a limited edition, pure black blender or any kitchen utility with the exclusive BlackBerry brand or in alliance with ? and XX% OFF to anyone owning a BlackBerry 10 phone I'm sure people will buy it.

That's not their core market or their interest for that matter but this could bring in a new revenue stream...
    01-15-14 07:55 AM
    sound like you will buy anything BB put out. OP have not give one word description on this BB desktop and you say u will buy it. lol and ppl call iphone fans sheep
    I think you are reading a bit too much into my 9 word sentence..
    01-15-14 10:13 PM
    I agree going alone on the laptop issue is a non-starter. PARTNERING with DELL computers for instance makes more sense.

If they can get BBM on the computer and use NFC to dock/connect the phone and computer while at your desk so that messages sync smoothly and efficiently as well as acting as another hard drive the partnership would benefit both companies.

Food for thought?

Cheers!
    01-15-14 10:49 PM
    I'd buy a BlackBerry keyboard, if the Q10 is anything to go by, it would feel amazing to use.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:45 AM
    Love reading people saying that the desktop will die. Absolutely delusional.
    However BlackBerry would fail in a desktop market. Stick to phones and the odd tablet.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 01:46 AM
    Love reading people saying that the desktop will die. Absolutely delusional.
    However BlackBerry would fail in a desktop market. Stick to phones and the odd tablet.

Posted via CB10
    Totally. What do those people think all those "mobile apps", games, and other stuff (as in everything from industrial robots to MS Office) are designed and tested on? PCs folks. PCs. Macs, in this case, are also "PCs".

You're right though, a BlackBerry made PC is a non stater. However, BlackBerry 10 OS partnerships would be great. HP utterly squandered WebOS, to the benefit of Android and QNX (and other ARM geared operating systems).

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-16-14 01:59 AM
    I'd buy a BlackBerry keyboard, if the Q10 is anything to go by, it would feel amazing to use.
    You could take the one from the PlayBook ?
    01-16-14 04:16 AM
    Desktop died with windows 8.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 04:18 AM
    Desktop died with windows 8.

Posted via CB10
    I thought it died with Vista.
    And before that ME.
    These statements are getting boring now

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 04:49 AM
    I thought it died with Vista.
    And before that ME.
    These statements are getting boring now

Posted via CB10
    For me, desktop is dead. I only use windows 8 desktop for gaming. Anything else I use my windows 7 laptop for. When windows 7 support becomes end of life so too will my use of a desktop. If that statement bores you, so be it.

Now is the perfect time for some Tablet OS to target the PC desktop consuner. Everyday PC users like me would switch to mobile computing now over windows 8 in a heartbeat if it did the basics like word, Excel, PC gaming (Steam), and browsing.... for now all they do is browse and run trivial apps. The mobile office type apps are not comparable to ms office yet. And the games are not comparable either.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 05:00 AM
    Why do people suggest this once a month? What's the point of designing a desktop OS from scratch especially when there won't be any compatible applications? BB is struggling to get developers to make apps for BB10. So why would developers even write software for their desktop OS? It would be a massive waste of time and money especially when companies are now focusing on the mobile space.
    JeepBB, rthonpm and aniym like this.
    01-16-14 06:59 AM
    For me, desktop is dead. I only use windows 8 desktop for gaming. Anything else I use my windows 7 laptop for. When windows 7 support becomes end of life so too will my use of a desktop. If that statement bores you, so be it.

Now is the perfect time for some Tablet OS to target the PC desktop consuner. Everyday PC users like me would switch to mobile computing now over windows 8 in a heartbeat if it did the basics like word, Excel, PC gaming (Steam), and browsing.... for now all they do is browse and run trivial apps. The mobile office type apps are not comparable to ms office yet. And the games are not comparable either.

Posted via CB10
    The difference is in those two little words "for me"
    That changes your post to an opinion piece rather than outlandish factual claim

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 07:05 AM
    Why build a BB10 desktop? Isn't one of BlackBerry's main goals with BB10 mobile computing? They are trying to convert your phone into a mobile desktop experience.
    01-16-14 07:05 AM
    Why build a BB10 desktop? Isn't one of BlackBerry's main goals with BB10 mobile computing? They are trying to convert your phone into a mobile desktop experience.
    Exactly. I do think that a Tablet is a major piece of the mobile computing equation. They can be an effective laptop replacement if done right and with the right apps.

Posted via CB10
    avt123 likes this.
    01-16-14 07:27 AM
    they need a smartwatch.
    01-16-14 07:30 AM
    I agree with you. I don't want a desktop in the old fashion. Just a docking station, where the phone is the computer. If BlackBerry chooses to project itself in the short term onto windows, fine. But ultimately I would like to break from Windows at home totally. Practically have.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 11:00 AM
    How about a BB10 desktop, with the security built in to boot? Kind of a unique idea....It would be cool to have a secure desktop computer that was as secure as using your BlackBerry phone. This way any and all data transferred back and forth, say, within a business, could be done totally secure. No Google stuff or any other stuff that isn't secure.

It would be nice to have a desktop computer to be able to do everything 100% secure, and be routed directly through BlackBerry. It would be something totally off the grid, kind of thing....

Posted Via Z10
    01-16-14 12:13 PM
    A blackberry desktop would be totally secure as it would sit in the corner unplugged inside a week due to lack of apps...... Unless it ran chrome and used chrome apps..... Then it would be a chrome top, wonder why Google hasn't thought of that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    aniym likes this.
    01-16-14 12:56 PM
    I meant to have it as a desktop architecture, not App-less. Come on dude....

Posted Via Z10
    01-16-14 05:13 PM
    The difference is in those two little words "for me"
    That changes your post to an opinion piece rather than outlandish factual claim

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry. Do you search interest fan forums for facts? It would be easier for you to be aware of your environment rather than expect the world to add a disclaimer to their internet exclamations. By the way, do you have any facts on windows 8 uptake since this is your non-outlandish area of focus?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 08:36 PM
    Don't mind that person. Some of these characters come here to nit pick at others, trying to make themselves look intelligent, all the while actually looking kind of hilarious.

Posted Via Z10
    01-16-14 09:24 PM
    Because they have enough trouble now making money on devices now, you want them to produce a desktop computer? Do you want to REALLY sink the company? I assure you, dumping money into a desktop computer will certainly do it. I can imagine the write down on all those components right now. Get the smartphone business in order first.
    Blaze....Im glad I read your response before posting because you would have had to delete my response as a duplicate thread.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 09:33 PM
    A tablet might be one thing, but a desktop is just crazy talk. Why would they invest tons of R&D into a declining market?

What they should really do is make something entirely new and revolutionary, if they can think of something like that

Posted from my 9900, z10, z30 or PlayBook
    01-16-14 11:37 PM
    Ahh yes

As some have suggested, a desktop mode with a docking station would be great. Plug the hdmi into your z10 and it switches to "desktop mode". If they could do that, and implement it well, that would really be revolutionary. Something kind of like Ubuntu, except not sucky (imo of course)

Posted from my 9900, z10, z30 or PlayBook
    01-16-14 11:41 PM
112 12345