It would be interesting to see a Desktop Computer from BlackBerry as well as a new tablet. Let me know what you think.

Posted Via Z10
    jevinzac, SDTRMG and togarika like this.
    01-13-14 11:37 PM
    Because they have enough trouble now making money on devices now, you want them to produce a desktop computer? Do you want to REALLY sink the company? I assure you, dumping money into a desktop computer will certainly do it. I can imagine the write down on all those components right now. Get the smartphone business in order first.
    01-13-14 11:42 PM
    THIS. ^

lol

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 11:44 PM
    Blackberry is a mobile device company...why would they invest in an oversaturated market such as desktop computing? I don't see the synergies, I don't see how this would even work. To be honest, I think that BBRY was thinking about this with the Z10: the initial idea was that you would use your phone, connect an HDMI cable when you got to the office, and have all the same apps, contacts, etc on a large monitor. (control using bluetooth keyboard and mouse) That didn't work out.

There was a fundraising for a phone a while ago which ran a mobile version of Ubuntu with the same concept. Get to your desk, plug it in and have linux, unplug and have all your documents and apps with you. Interesting concept, but it never reached it's funding goals.
    01-14-14 07:00 AM
    Tablet they need, laptop they do not. With a proper dock they can turn a phone or tablet into a desktop. Then their is the issue that most users of desktops, especially in business where BlackBerry is going to target, require M$ Office which is not available and Docs to Go is not a replacement for.

Posted via CB10
    johnm137, xxslxx and Bbnivende like this.
    01-14-14 07:48 AM
    They just need to make sure they work great with current desktops.
    anon(5981295) likes this.
    01-14-14 07:51 AM
    You could make a bb10 desktop now.
    Bluetooth keyboard + mouse, then a hdmi out to a monitor.
    Maybe a monitor that rotates.
    Since landscape isn't there yet in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 08:10 AM
    Hi. Personally I do not believe desktop market has got any future. The same time I keep using BB phones (9900 znd Z10) more and more extensively and do believe they may gradually replace or at least well support desktop. Obviously some things are easier to be done with desktop or laptop. But desktop - I wouldn't put my money on it. On the top of that - the major issue from the business point of view - they shouldn't devote to too many areas (handsets, tablets, desktops and software). This would be far beyond their size and capacity. Should rather concentrate on BB10 handsets and fully working computer software letting users take advantage of already good phones.
    01-14-14 08:48 AM
    Maybe if they made a desktop then BlackBerry link might work properly......*sigh*

Digicel Jamaica Official10.2.1.1925 release
    Zidentia, JeepBB, decoy7 and 1 others like this.
    01-14-14 09:07 AM
    Totally agree. They should also make a v�deo game console to take on xbox1 and the ps4. They should also build a smart tv with bb10 integrated so we can use all our apps as well. Then they can conquer home automation.oh oh oh and awholelineofappliancesfor .thehpmethatareinterconnet0
    Ray III likes this.
    01-14-14 09:48 AM
    Because they have enough trouble now making money on devices now, you want them to produce a desktop computer? Do you want to REALLY sink the company? I assure you, dumping money into a desktop computer will certainly do it. I can imagine the write down on all those components right now. Get the smartphone business in order first.
    In OP's defense, I'd buy a BlackBerry 10 desktop.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-14-14 09:49 AM
    Not only what Blaze said, but even if they could afford it, statistically Desktops and even laptops are a dying market. They'd be much better investing in and conquering the smartphone market and then moving on to tablets. Similar to, but better than the way Nokia did.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 09:51 AM
    A desktop computer is way more reliable than any laptop though. Just saying...

Posted Via Z10
    01-14-14 09:58 AM
    They could just have Foxconn make it for developing markets and call it the Sumatra.
    01-14-14 09:58 AM
    It wouldn't be smart for them to expand into new areas when they have been going half @ss in their areas of focus. They are having plenty of problems right now and they can't afford to bite off more than they can chew.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    01-14-14 10:05 AM
    Desktops/laptops are a dying breed. You don't enter a market when the technology it in the declining stage of its life cycle. To enter a new market with a new product, you need to do so when the life cycle is at either at the introduction or growth stages. Right now they need to focus on retaining/recapturing the market share of their current products, most of which are in the maturity stage.
    01-14-14 10:34 AM
    Considering that legacy BBOS7 is outselling BB10 by a large margin, a BB10 desktop would tank. if they come out with another tablet (which they won't) it won't sell just like the game changing, ametuer hour disaster that was the Playbook. BlackBerry needs to concentrate on one thing and one thing only. They have proven that the can't walk and chew gum at the same time, over and over again.
    01-14-14 10:39 AM
    No, for many reasons that have been stated already. Besides, it's always best to build your own desktop.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:45 AM
    if they got too much money they could have just made a 7" slab with no screen, and then sold it as a PlayBook "add on" dock, (the playbook acts as a dumb screen), and it runs what, w8.1? and market it as "tablet / laptop, irregardless detached / attached"..

Then again, its a very niched idea, and would probably killed BlackBerry more than helped them.
    01-14-14 10:53 AM
    Troll thread

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.1055
    01-14-14 10:56 AM
    No tablets or PCS for now. Instead, BlackBerry can work on bringing BBM to PCs (a Skype equivalent) and adding additional functionality to BBM to compete against Snapchat, Instagram, and Vine.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:59 AM
    Lol this is why people should just stick to their day jobs

Posted via CB10
    Viktor_Volkov and aniym like this.
    01-14-14 11:01 AM
    It would be interesting to see a Desktop Computer from BlackBerry as well as a new tablet. Let me know what you think.

Posted Via Z10
    I would like to see desktop software perhaps, but not Hardware - at least not anytime soon.
    01-14-14 11:02 AM
    No offense to the OP, but I agree with Bla1ze. Laptops and desktops are present in almost every home and it's a market owned by Microsoft. Even Apple can't get their desktops/laptops to penetrate the market like Microsoft can (despite the launch of Windows 8). Right now, as the BlackBerry brand is, going after the desktop market wouldn't work.

Not only that, but people are looking to make their home computing solutions smaller and smaller. More people are beginning to see the Surface Pro (and even the Surface 2 and iPad) as a viable home computer for their needs. I wouldn't be surprised to see more non-Windows tablets having desktop-OS capabilities.

With that said, I do strongly believe that BlackBerry needs some kind of a larger presence in the home. Right now, BlackBerry is the only manufacturer without any kind of desktop/home computing OS (Apple, Microsoft, and Google all have some desktop presence). As much the idea of a BlackBerry 10-powered computer is attractive to me, I think the company needs to approach this from a different angle, like having the mobile device be the power and "brains" behind the desktop. However BlackBerry decides to tackle it, it first needs to focus on bringing back marketshare in mobile.
    01-14-14 11:05 AM
    You could make a bb10 desktop now.
    Bluetooth keyboard + mouse, then a hdmi out to a monitor.
    Oh no, we're not allowed to have "outdated" technology like keyboards and pointing devices (TRACKPAD). Anyone who doesn't think jabbing at a screen like a Neanderthal is the best method of device operation is just closed-minded.
    Tatwi likes this.
    01-14-14 11:45 AM
112 123 ...