In order to keep excitement up and catch the two year contracts expiring between iphone generations, apple produces a S model with upgraded specs. Why can't BB produce a Z10i and Z30i with better specs while the next gen phones are being delevoped?
    05-13-14 02:22 PM
    In order to keep excitement up and catch the two year contracts expiring between iphone generations, apple produces a S model with upgraded specs. Why can't BB produce a Z10i and Z30i with better specs while the next gen phones are being delevoped?
    Interesting point however Apple does market the hell out those upgrades so it works for them. Not sure if below the radar upgrades (as BB releases tend to be) would work.
    05-13-14 02:28 PM
    HOw about this Apple phone in the works?

05-13-14 02:45 PM
    I would love to see the Z30 with a display that rivals the Galaxy S5. That would grab some eyeballs in the stores.
    05-13-14 03:02 PM
    I imagine it mostly has to do with economies of scale. If you sell more than 100 million smartphones a year then spending $200M in R&D to develop a yearly update for your one model only costs $2 per phone which is basically nothing. Blackberry only sells a few million of any given model per year so the updates are going to cost a ton more per phone (more than 10X).

And, unless you are good at getting rid of inventory, you're going to quickly have a lot of obsolete phones that your and your retailers can not sell.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-13-14 03:17 PM
    Yes, but there was mention of a new all touch model. Why new? Just update the Z10 and z30. They are both great designs. With updated specs, a larger battery on the Z10 and better display on the Z30 you'd have phones that truly compete. I'm sure it costs a lot more to design a phone from scratch each time around.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 03:21 PM
    If someone could point to the Z10 or Q10 hardware and say, we aren't selling devices because "we need a bigger processor", "we need more memory", "we need a finger print scanner"... it would be time to upgrade. Unfortunately the hardware isn't the issue, it's the ecosystem that is killing BlackBerry. And I think Chen knows this. There is no reason to update the hardware until the main reason for a lack of sales is addressed.

Get the App issue under control, then invest in new hardware, then invest in marketing that hardware and then let the dice roll and see what happens.
    txmxrex and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    05-13-14 03:24 PM
    I love this thread, it reminds me how short our memories are. BlackBerry followed exactly the same strategy a few years ago...think Bold 9700 followed by Bold 9780 or Torch 9800 followed by 9810 and numerous curve models. The industrial design for these phones were kept largely the same and the internal specs were updated.

BlackBerry received a lot of flak from this very community for these "updated" phones. People complained that if they were buying a new phone it should look new. They didn't want to buy the same old phone from last year.

Infact here is a CB thread discussing this a while ago:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...9700-a-516266/
    KDB84, blackmoe, howarmat and 2 others like this.
    05-13-14 03:32 PM
    9800, 9810?

Posted via CB10
    txmxrex, howarmat and eldricho like this.
    05-13-14 03:33 PM
    Apples new devices gets sh*ts on in the media every year saying nothing really change. BlackBerry has enough negativity already..

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 03:38 PM
    Wasn't the Z30 an upgrade to the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 04:24 PM
    This is a game of no matter what you do you will lose. BB played this game back in the era of the storms bolds curves and torches. They got yelled at then for doing incremental updates. Now when they dont do them they also get yelled at.
    05-13-14 05:10 PM
    Having had BlackBerrys since the Curve 8320, 9780, 9900 and now owning a Z10 and a Q10, BlackBerry has been making great improvements, especially on a very young OS. It's the marketing and management that has not been keeping up with the devices. Can't expect IOS and Android users to consider devices that they are not even aware of.

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    05-14-14 07:53 AM
    Having had BlackBerrys since the Curve 8320, 9780, 9900 and now owning a Z10 and a Q10, BlackBerry has been making great improvements, especially on a very young OS. It's the marketing and management that has not been keeping up with the devices. Can't expect IOS and Android users to consider devices that they are not even aware of.

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    Software there has been improvements but hardware wise barely any.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    05-14-14 10:39 AM