Yeah, I wasn't talking about the obvious spelling error. You made it seem like you had not one but two 9800's lol
    Oh, duh. Sorry. I wish... I currently have a 9700. Before that I had an 8900 and as soon as I can I will buy a 9800. Better ?
    06-26-10 06:32 AM
    Serious WASTE OF SPACE! Why include Media Memory on a device? If people save their pics or other things on that partition and the device fails, IT'S ALL LOST!!! That's why everyone with a S1 or S2 ends up saving everything to the removable Memory Card anyway. I don't know of a single user (a competant one anyway) that saves anything to the internal Media Memory on the Storms. RIM should be spending their money on taking all that memory and putting it to use for App space, not including it for useless crap. RIM engineers complain about it costing too much money to put in memory on these devices... well, maybe if RIM would stop wasting money on memory allocation that no one uses, they wouldn't be short on it. GIVE US MORE APP SPACE, NOT USELESS NON-REMOVABLE MEDIA MEMORY!!! Geez!
    What a shock, civic is whining about something and in a nonsensical way too.

Firstly, when have we had any rim engineer complaining about it costing too much money to put memory on devices? If there is anyone that wouldn't complain, it would be the engineers.

Secondly, you should be complaining that this included memory cannot be used for apps, it should really be the ideal solution to the problem, you don't have the security concerns of installing to an sd card and you don't have any increase in battery usage by mindlessly upping the memory when it wasn't needed.

Thirdly, all data can be lost if it is only stored in one place whether that is on this internal memory, an sd card or on your home computer, if you don't back stuff up then it can be lost simple as that so whining about one particular case when that can happen is just daft.
    06-26-10 08:18 AM
    Civic is by far the most annoying person I know on CB.... It gets sooo old reading her daily rants and her whining like a little you know what and it irritates me to no end!!
    06-26-10 06:04 PM
    She's\got a point. App memory has always been a low point I mean a storm 1 only had 40mb, and that phone really only could run 4 or 5 good apps before slowing down because the app memory fell into the 10-20mb mark.

I don't need to d/l the entire app market, but I shouldn't be limited to only a handful of apps either.

Heck, how many devices can't upgrade to os6 because they don't have enough app memory? App memory and on board memory should be equal or end user should be required to buy a media card if they needed more storage.
    06-26-10 07:29 PM
    She's\got a point. App memory has always been a low point I mean a storm 1 only had 40mb, and that phone really only could run 4 or 5 good apps before slowing down because the app memory fell into the 10-20mb mark.

I don't need to d/l the entire app market, but I shouldn't be limited to only a handful of apps either.

Heck, how many devices can't upgrade to os6 because they don't have enough app memory? App memory and on board memory should be equal or end user should be required to buy a media card if they needed more storage.
    Last I checked Storm1 had 128 megs for apps.
    And just to be the odd man out, Civic rocks.
    That being said, I have an issue with what was said about nobody storing anything to device memory. I happen to be a competent user and I store my wallpapers on device memory, since that's the first place BerryWeather looks when one wants to change wallpaper to use with it. Also, unless actively specified, Opera Mini stores by default to user on device memory.
    06-26-10 07:54 PM
    I think you missed the point of the thread... lol
    What is the point of this thread in the "News and Rumours" section?
    06-26-10 08:17 PM
    What a shock, civic is whining about something and in a nonsensical way too.

Firstly, when have we had any rim engineer complaining about it costing too much money to put memory on devices? If there is anyone that wouldn't complain, it would be the engineers.

Secondly, you should be complaining that this included memory cannot be used for apps, it should really be the ideal solution to the problem, you don't have the security concerns of installing to an sd card and you don't have any increase in battery usage by mindlessly upping the memory when it wasn't needed.

Thirdly, all data can be lost if it is only stored in one place whether that is on this internal memory, an sd card or on your home computer, if you don't back stuff up then it can be lost simple as that so whining about one particular case when that can happen is just daft.
    Oh the irony of this entire post... most perticular the red part... especially when the poster quoted my OP with a BOLDED last sentence. I guess they didn't bother to read that last sentence in the OP. WTF do you think the point of this thread is?!?!?! It's about RIM giving us all this useless memory that can't be used for apps. I'll be sure to break out my crayons the next time some of you need to read one of my threads. lol

Last I checked Storm1 had 128 megs for apps.
    128MB for OS/Apps, which leaves about 40MB for apps if you don't load some things like sample pics and other VZW apps they like to shove on you like VZNav... (who uses that BS anyway... lol)
    06-26-10 09:25 PM
    Hey civic doesn't the iphone have 8 16 32 g of memory depending on which one you buy why aren't you jumping on steve and asking him why he's puting in all thus useless on board memory
    06-26-10 09:44 PM
    Hey civic doesn't the iphone have 8 16 32 g of memory depending on which one you buy why aren't you jumping on steve and asking him why he's puting in all thus useless on board memory
    Maybe because in the case of the iPhone, ALL that memory can be used for apps.

Seriously... you really don't understand the subject matter here? lol
    06-26-10 09:47 PM
    Hey Civic, why don't you go away? Or I mean why not go use all that great extra space on the iphone... ...
    06-26-10 09:58 PM
    Civic has a good point, but I think a MAJOR reason why a lot of you are not understanding that is because you don't use or ever had the Storm/Storm2.

The Storm comes with a 8gb SD Card. I believe it had about 1gb of internal storage. Being me, I would never store my media on the internal storage because I would soon run out of room with only 1gb so I just never used it. I ended up storing everything on my SD card which came free of charge with the phone and offered more memory.

My Storm2 came with a 16gb SD Card. I would rather save all my media/files on that SD card because it's all in one place and offers more memory than the internal memory.

Frankly,at least when it comes to the Storms, I do see internal memory as a waste because both Storms come with a SD card that offers more memory, free of charge. When it comes to friends that have used the Storm, they themselves would never store anything on the internal memory because it's pointless.
    I agree with Civic, I would rather have RIM put all that internal memory into RAM memory to make the phone run more smoothly.
    06-26-10 10:29 PM
    No civic you clearly say if your phone craps out you lose everything you have stored on the on board memory you don't say just apps so I say again same as the iphone am I right or not everybody and is civic just running out of things to argue about
    06-26-10 10:59 PM
    No civic you clearly say if your phone craps out you lose everything you have stored on the on board memory you don't say just apps so I say again same as the iphone am I right or not everybody and is civic just running out of things to argue about
    If either phone "craps out" usually everything is lost, same as any other device. If that's not what you meant, I had trouble reading that sentence, no offense. Not sure what telling Civic she's running out of things to argue about has to do with using more device memory for apps.
    Last edited by genomos; 06-26-10 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Cleaning up post.
    06-26-10 11:19 PM
    You know.. bringing these issues to light is the point of these forums. Helping others, bringing problems to the attention of the masses and sharing information.

This isn't new, if you don't like reading, there are thousands of other threads you can read instead. There is something for everyone on crackberry.

I totally understand what civic is complaining about.. and really, it makes sense. For the life of me, I can't figure out why if they have all of this extra memory sitting on the device, why it can't be used for applications. Is it really that hard to utilize? Yes, the removable media is great for music/videos/documents/backup etc etc... and heck I even get that maybe they don't want to allow apps to be installed on there because it can be removed and that would create issues if apps are running when the media is removed.. but internal memory shouldn't be an issue.
    06-27-10 01:00 AM
    Seriously, Civic, why don't you just get a different phone not manufactured by RIM? I don't think I've read one post by you in which you detail anything positive that RIM does with their devices. Certainly there must be at least one phone out there that you would find more pleasant dealing with than a Blackberry.

And you'll prob. insult me like you do the others that disagree with you or have a difference of opinion...something relating to the poster not having enough intelligence to understand this or that.
    06-27-10 01:02 AM
    Well I think the main point here is the lack of app/ram memory and the over abundance of media memory. Why would RIM limit the apps the phone can store on it when they've been trying to push their app market?

The newer BBs are a lot better when it comes to providing more memory, but again there aren't as many of full fledged apps available like there is for the iphone and android markets.
    06-27-10 01:02 AM
    All of the personal attacks on the OP by people that failed to address the
    fundamental issue raised speaks more to the mindset of the "attackers"
    than it does the OP

I completely get the point. Let's use the Bold 9000 as an example. This phone comes
    with 128mb of app memory and 1gb of internal memory. The phone can accept up to
    a 32gb memory card and in many cases one is provided free. Even when it isn't
    memory cards can be had for a song.

With that, a phone that has the capability of huge external memory to also have
    a dedicated portion of internal memory that cannot be used for anything but what
    the memory card is already used for is totally pointless. So yes, it would be better
    if RIM made that memory usable as app memory.

For those who think it is a non-issue and one RIM should not be concerned about
    answer this: Why then are there phones AFTER the Bold 9000 with NO internal
    memory. I submit it is because RIM realized how incredibly pointless this was.

I wonder how many Bold 9000 user wish that 1gb was allocated differently
    knowing that at 128mb of app memory OS 6 ain't gonna happen.
    06-27-10 01:13 AM
    I think there are a few complaints bundled into one post here.

The likely trigger of this outburst was loss of data saved to that partition when the device failed. On the iPhone such loss would be mitigated by the fact that iTunes manages device storage, whereas the user is responsible for it on the BlackBerry. The data was probably not backed up and hence the rage.

That rage is then channeled into an old complaint about app space for the entertainment of forum users
    06-27-10 01:57 AM
    I'm halfway there. I am totally cool with having on board file storage space (and I even use some of it), but 1 GB is more than enough. I would rather have 1 GB of app space than 4 GB of media storage! The only reason I can think of that RIM keeps the app space consistently at the bare minimum is so that they can sell us a new phone every year. I would buy a new one every year or so anyway, but many people might not if they didn't have a memory shortage and/or compatibility issues.
    06-27-10 02:04 AM
    Seriously, Civic, why don't you just get a different phone not manufactured by RIM? I don't think I've read one post by you in which you detail anything positive that RIM does with their devices. Certainly there must be at least one phone out there that you would find more pleasant dealing with than a Blackberry.

And you'll prob. insult me like you do the others that disagree with you or have a difference of opinion...something relating to the poster not having enough intelligence to understand this or that.
    You may want to read more.

AG and a few others, including me, appear to agree with her, plus other users have made this observation. Yes, I might actually use my internal memory because I saw a better way to do something, which would have gone unused otherwise. And if internal/device memory wasn't there and/or being utilized for apps/OS, then Bell Mobility would most likely set BerryWeather to look in a folder on the device SD card, as would other developers.
    And of course this means that more apps, and bigger apps, could be installed on a device; and most likely said device might last the user for quite some time. Seems there's a new OS roughly every year, on average. Last year we saw OS5. This year, OS6. And next year, perhaps OS7. I might want to get a device capable of running newer software for at least a couple years, as opposed to being left out in the cold with devices that are barely over a year old.
    Last edited by genomos; 06-27-10 at 08:25 AM.
    06-27-10 02:12 AM
    If this was in person i'd be grabbing popcorn and a technical dictionary.

And if I had the time i'd get a massaging easy-chair delivered.
    Last edited by grahamf; 06-27-10 at 03:06 AM.
    06-27-10 03:02 AM
    I see there are no technical points in this thread so I'd like to make some.

The memory inside of a blackberry storm/storm2 is much much much faster, with better latency and is EXTREMELY more reliable in terms of write/rewrite cycles(AND bit-for-bit accuracy) in comparison to a simple micro sd card. It has far more to do with a security and reliability standpoint, than it does with having the largest amount of bytes. In addition, AppWorld can store apps/additional app data there for future loading without the need to re-download. This is useful because not all BB devices do come with an SD card(or up until recently, the ability to use sd-cards)

In an enterprise environment it's nice being able to ASSUME that someone has available space for pushed apps/etc in BES. RIM also has different memory classifications and restrictions (Developers back me up here) including which api's can be used/accessed with what(Memory access), and to where= security, security, security. The other issue is, RIM assumes you're going to go on Amazon, look for an SD card, then click the "Lowest Price First" drop-down. Those sd-cards are crap, and not suitable for a corp / gov / mil environment.

So to everyone saying it's pointless, that's an opinion. Just because YOU don't see/need it, doesn't mean the target market doesn't need it.

Oh and keep an eye out for Pwn2Own @ CanSec next year... you'll see why all of this security is important. I bet you dimes to dollars that the iPhone is the first mobile-device(As well as parent browser/OS) to fall (Hopefully from me).
    Last edited by Borborygm; 06-27-10 at 04:39 AM.
    06-27-10 04:31 AM
    You may want to read more.

AG and a few others, including me, appear to agree with her, plus other users have made this observation.
    Oh I completely agree with her. I don't see why Blackberrys can't be loaded up with more memory like an iphone. There's no reason why the storms or bolds or etc shouldn't come with 16 or 32 gigs of memory. Do I wish RIM was a bit more progressive? Yes. Do I wish that my phone could support the ability to play WoW should I want to play? Yes. Really there's not a reason why phones built by RIM shouldn't be blowing all the other competitors out of the water.

However, that was not my point. What I was saying is that while Civic does hae some valid points, she has a ton of threads all being extremely negative to the point that I don't even understand why she uses a product built by RIM. I can't imagine there isn't a phone built that would make her at least a little bit happier...maybe even bring a little sunshine and smiles into her life.

It's like having a boyfriend or girlfriend that you don't like at all. Why keep them around if they make you so unhappy?

And then her retort for someone that doesn't agree with her is typically to just insult them and their reading comprehension or intelligence level.

I suppose the win for me in this is to just stop reading her threads.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 06-27-10 at 08:48 AM.
    06-27-10 08:42 AM
    Oh I completely agree with her. I don't see why Blackberrys can't be loaded up with more memory like an iphone. There's no reason why the storms or bolds or etc shouldn't come with 16 or 32 gigs of memory. Do I wish RIM was a bit more progressive? Yes. Do I wish that my phone could support the ability to play WoW should I want to play? Yes. Really there's not a reason why phones built by RIM shouldn't be blowing all the other competitors out of the water.

However, that was not my point. What I was saying is that while Civic does hae some valid points, she has a ton of threads all being extremely negative to the point that I don't even understand why she uses a product built by RIM. I can't imagine there isn't a phone built that would make her at least a little bit happier...maybe even bring a little sunshine and smiles into her life.

It's like having a boyfriend or girlfriend that you don't like at all. Why keep them around if they make you so unhappy?

And then her retort for someone that doesn't agree with her is typically to just insult them and their reading comprehension or intelligence level.

I suppose the win for me in this is to just stop reading her threads.
    Oops, my bad, didn't read it like that. I agree with everything you're saying about the devices; feel free to insult my intelligence. As far as Civic's attitude, perhaps she's holding out that RIM will make her happy, which is why some people stay in relationships when they go sour - "hope of the faithful" and all that.
    Who knows?
    06-27-10 09:03 AM
    I see there are no technical points in this thread so I'd like to make some.

The memory inside of a blackberry storm/storm2 is much much much faster, with better latency and is EXTREMELY more reliable in terms of write/rewrite cycles(AND bit-for-bit accuracy) in comparison to a simple micro sd card. It has far more to do with a security and reliability standpoint, than it does with having the largest amount of bytes. In addition, AppWorld can store apps/additional app data there for future loading without the need to re-download. This is useful because not all BB devices do come with an SD card(or up until recently, the ability to use sd-cards)

In an enterprise environment it's nice being able to ASSUME that someone has available space for pushed apps/etc in BES. RIM also has different memory classifications and restrictions (Developers back me up here) including which api's can be used/accessed with what(Memory access), and to where= security, security, security. The other issue is, RIM assumes you're going to go on Amazon, look for an SD card, then click the "Lowest Price First" drop-down. Those sd-cards are crap, and not suitable for a corp / gov / mil environment.

So to everyone saying it's pointless, that's an opinion. Just because YOU don't see/need it, doesn't mean the target market doesn't need it.

Oh and keep an eye out for Pwn2Own @ CanSec next year... you'll see why all of this security is important. I bet you dimes to dollars that the iPhone is the first mobile-device(As well as parent browser/OS) to fall (Hopefully from me).
    I don't think there is an issue of where the apps are stored as compared to how much available memory is on the device. Yes people can have all sorts of memory cards available. But I think the point here is why only provide 300 mb app memory in that device and give 3.6 gb of media memory. I understand your sand box theory in regards to security, but would it hurt to increase the sand in the box to a level that's decent? 2gb for app and 2gb for media? That wouldn't be difficult, yet RIM is persistent on giving you as little as possible to play with.
    06-27-10 09:41 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD