It's been my experience that most people will solicit and take advice from anyone other than someone qualified regarding any issue they have, whether it be phone related, medical, legal, financial, marital etc. They'll consult the mailman, coffee shop clerk, fellow employees etc., and base their future action upon the misinformation they receive. All while ignoring the advice of the friend or family member they may know whom actually works in the specific area of their concern full time. Heaven forbid they have to pay for the advice and/or service they require.

Remember: half the population has below average intelligence.
    thymaster and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-11-15 05:12 PM
    Seriously why is it always me the first person who gets called on by people around me who have phone issues, need a how to demo or have a technical question. I'm clearly a BlackBerry users and they know that. These are the same people who brags to me about their glorious iPhone and Samsung Galaxy.

I realize I'm good with computers and have a reputation for it but it doesn't mean I know the inside out of their phones. It really annoys me that they have this high expectation that I have the solution to all their phone problems. Eventually I end up fixing them all anyways because I can't say no when it comes to helping people. I no longer use iOS or Android anymore but I seem to know more about their phones then themselves.

How do I say no to these people without offending them? Have I spoiled them and now they think I'm the to go to guy?
    Good post. By the way, my LG G2 is not waking up after I tap the screen. What should I do?
    05-11-15 05:38 PM
    Good post. By the way, my LG G2 is not waking up after I tap the screen. What should I do?
    Get a BlackBerry.
    05-11-15 05:41 PM
    You're tapping it wrong, literally. I turned that crap off, a phone should learn how you tap not the other way around.
    05-11-15 05:46 PM
    Try shaking it. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 07:14 PM
    Try shaking it. Lol

Posted via CB10
    I held my phone up like your Suzanne Sommers avatar and shook it and it worked!
    05-11-15 07:18 PM
    Maybe because you are always talking about Blackberry and how much you love it and how its the greatest phone and OS and all that stuff? Because you speak about phones a lot and have probably tried to convert them to use one they see you as someone who knows about phones and can help them with issues they have.
    ljfong likes this.
    05-11-15 07:52 PM
    It's because most people out there think of smartphones in very general terms - it's a piece of tech that has a certain function and purpose in their life. They really don't think of it in terms of BlackBerry vs Apple vs Samsung. The average user doesn't take their choice of smartphone OS as seriously as the enthusiast user. When they say that their *insert brand here* phone is the best, they don't mean it with the conviction and in the sense that brand/OS enthusiasts do on forums such as CB. It just means that their smartphone works for them and they like it.

The people asking you for help are not thinking "let's ask that BlackBerry user to help us with our iPhone or Android phone". They're just thinking "let's ask that guy who's really into smartphones to help us with ours, since he seems to know all about this kind of stuff".
    05-11-15 11:47 PM
    It's because most people out there think of smartphones in very general terms - it's a piece of tech that has a certain function and purpose in their life. They really don't think of it in terms of BlackBerry vs Apple vs Samsung. The average user doesn't take their choice of smartphone OS as seriously as the enthusiast user. When they say that their *insert brand here* phone is the best, they don't mean it with the conviction and in the sense that brand/OS enthusiasts do on forums such as CB. It just means that their smartphone works for them and they like it.

The people asking you for help are not thinking "let's ask that BlackBerry user to help us with our iPhone or Android phone". They're just thinking "let's ask that guy who's really into smartphones to help us with ours, since he seems to know all about this kind of stuff".
    100% right!

CB10 - Q10
    05-12-15 01:09 AM
    Maybe because you are always talking about Blackberry and how much you love it and how its the greatest phone and OS and all that stuff? Because you speak about phones a lot and have probably tried to convert them to use one they see you as someone who knows about phones and can help them with issues they have.
    Lol. That could very well be the most probable reason.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 01:35 AM
    It's funny that sometimes those people are the same that keep asking "why would anyone use a BlackBerry" to show how much they know about technology.

Posted via CB10
    This!!

Happens to me too with phones and computer. I just help them because we have androids at home and I came from an Apple ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 07:29 AM
    I get the same from people buy I actually like it

Posted via my Z30 running 10.3.2.281
    05-12-15 12:32 PM
    Its funny because market demographics would suggest that the Blackberry user base (outside of crackberry forums, of course) are the LEAST tech-savvy mobile users.

However, I do read an awfully lot here from people I'm surprised don't know better.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-12-15 01:20 PM
    Hi thymaster, I have a problem with my iPhone, can you help me please? Thanks in advance.
    05-12-15 11:46 PM
    Can I ask how old you are?

Because this happens a lot to me, but I think a lot of it has to do with age and how "young" you look. I'm 27, and am like the #1 person in my office and amongst my mom's friends that gets asked about stuff for iPhones or Androids or email/fax/printer/computer stuff.

Most of my coworkers are in their forties and my mom's friends are in their fifties and sixties, so I'm almost always the youngest person around, and most people don't even believe I'm 27, so I think it has to do with youth in some cases, because believe me, everyone who knows me knows that I am a rabid BlackBerry user and defender, and they know I'll never leave BlackBerry for an iPhone or Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 01:02 AM
    It's the same with me. Peoples always think that I can fix any tech devices.
    All I have to do is just some verry simple action ...restart, reload os, washing with clean water and hang to the fence, hammer sometime )
    Pride of Bb user lol

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 01:13 AM
    I'm about your age, looking young and major in Information Security Management. Just because I'm good with computer doesn't mean I know all the answers to their iPhones problems. What bothers me is there are tons of iPhone users around and they don't go asking them for help but instead they approach me first.

If I could, I would keep myself low profile and pretend I don't know how to use an iPhone at all. My only worries is I could lose technical credibility with my career development networks. Which is why I end up helping them anyways. Sigh.

Can I ask how old you are?

Because this happens a lot to me, but I think a lot of it has to do with age and how "young" you look. I'm 27, and am like the #1 person in my office and amongst my mom's friends that gets asked about stuff for iPhones or Androids or email/fax/printer/computer stuff.

Most of my coworkers are in their forties and my mom's friends are in their fifties and sixties, so I'm almost always the youngest person around, and most people don't even believe I'm 27, so I think it has to do with youth in some cases, because believe me, everyone who knows me knows that I am a rabid BlackBerry user and defender, and they know I'll never leave BlackBerry for an iPhone or Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 02:52 AM
42 12