05-13-15 03:52 AM
42 12
tools
    Seriously why is it always me the first person who gets called on by people around me who have phone issues, need a how to demo or have a technical question. I'm clearly a BlackBerry users and they know that. These are the same people who brags to me about their glorious iPhone and Samsung Galaxy.

I realize I'm good with computers and have a reputation for it but it doesn't mean I know the inside out of their phones. It really annoys me that they have this high expectation that I have the solution to all their phone problems. Eventually I end up fixing them all anyways because I can't say no when it comes to helping people. I no longer use iOS or Android anymore but I seem to know more about their phones then themselves.

How do I say no to these people without offending them? Have I spoiled them and now they think I'm the to go to guy?
    05-11-15 03:14 AM
    Seriously why is it always me the first person who gets called on by people around me who have phone issues, need a how to demo or have a technical question. I'm clearly a BlackBerry users and they know that. These are the same people who brags to me about their glorious iPhone and Samsung Galaxy.

I realize I'm good with computers and have a reputation for it but it doesn't mean I know the inside out of their phones. It really annoys me that they have this high expectation that I have the solution to all their phone problems. Eventually I end up fixing them all anyways because I can't say no when it comes to helping people. I no longer use iOS or Android anymore but I seem to know more about their phones then themselves.

How do I say no to these people without offending them? Have I spoiled them and now they think I'm the to go to guy?
    Easy. 100 bucks per Tech question, 200 for consultation and 500 for actual fix.
    05-11-15 03:22 AM

Tell them it doesn't look good and that they should buy a BlackBerry the next time to avoid problems

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SunshineStateFlyer; 05-11-15 at 04:59 AM.
    91300zx, potatoguy, hpjrt and 6 others like this.
    05-11-15 03:31 AM
    Looks like they figured out that someone using a 'Berry knows how to deal with "difficult" tech and can help them with their "easy-to-use" phones...

:-D

Ask them to shout you dinner or a good night out once (don't charge money!, if you feel that might offend) and see how they react. Neighbour here asks me for toilet paper all the time, so I give him a nearly empty roll, just to get the job done ...

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    05-11-15 04:02 AM
    I tell them the reason I choose BlackBerry is because iCloud is too problematic and that's where most of their problems lies. They tell me they don't even know what iCloud is and never recall setting it up.

Tell them it doesn't look good and that the should buy a BlackBerry the next time to avoid problems

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    05-11-15 04:03 AM
    Tell them it doesn't look good and that the should buy a BlackBerry the next time to avoid problems

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:08 AM
    I have this all the time hahaha

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 05:16 AM
    BlackBerry users generally have a "tech-savvy" rep. Probably because people think our devices require it haha. But yea, I get that too.

Odd to me since I find iOS to be pretty coouterintuitive, probably because I don't really use it regularly.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 09:24 AM
    Simple... you help them. First, they have to overcome their shame at lack of knowledge about their phone and ask a kind and helpful person like you to help them. I have co-workers who won't even ask questions, and they barely know how to do anything with their phones.
    Fret Madden and miker476 like this.
    05-11-15 09:26 AM
    I still think of this as a good thing and you know I don't mind it because I really like being able to help people regardless of their phone.

Can't cure cancer or anything meaningful but at least I can still help someone in their day.

Posted via CB10
    Fret Madden and DrBoomBotz like this.
    05-11-15 09:39 AM
    Simple... you help them. First, they have to overcome their shame at lack of knowledge about their phone and ask a kind and helpful person like you to help them. I have co-workers who won't even ask questions, and they barely know how to do anything with their phones.
    It's funny that sometimes those people are the same that keep asking "why would anyone use a BlackBerry" to show how much they know about technology.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 09:40 AM
    Funnily enough I'm in the same situation as OP.

Besides the extended family and close friends, even some old pals from uni call me a couple times per year for all sorts of tech issues.

Maybe the cause of all this is that I have too many folks' birthdays/ anniversaries in my calendar - accumulating since I had the ancient Pearl - and that I actually call to wish them... :-)

 Q5 / Z30
    thymaster likes this.
    05-11-15 10:21 AM
    I get involved in these sort of situations too, unwillingly of course.

My usual answer when asked why their phones are acting up is "I don't have that problem with my phone, I have a BlackBerry. " that usually ends it.

But for those that are nice enough to ask for help, I usually end up fixing the problem with a reboot. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 10:53 AM
    Tell them if's a phone issue, their phone sucks that's the issue.
    acovey likes this.
    05-11-15 10:53 AM
    Lol happens to me all the time! But I'm not like u
    I love to do that

CB10 - Q10
    05-11-15 11:10 AM
    I rather use BlackBerry Blend to access files on my desktop computer than using iCloud from Apple.
    05-11-15 11:16 AM
    I do tech support for my building so, of course, questions like these come my way all the time. Fortunately, for personal equipment (mostly phones) I've been able to either figure out what the issue is with a few minutes of tinkering or recommend they visit their vendor. They just think if you're in tech support, you must know something more than they do, even if all you do is Google the same things they do. For some, it's easier to just ask someone than trying to figure it out themselves or having to travel somewhere to get help. You just happened to be the closest, and free, tech support and so are their primary portal into the mobile phone support.
    thymaster likes this.
    05-11-15 11:43 AM
    Here's what I do.

First- claim ignorance
    Second- show them how easily the same task is accomplished on my Passport whilst feigning ignorance about their device
    Third- Google their issue right in front of them on my Passport so they know how easy they could have found the answer.

Alternatively I find it effective to simply sigh and say "I don't know and I'm too busy to look it up."

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 12:26 PM
    chuckle... just finished troubleshooting an iCloud issue for the company owner and his parents... they couldn't figure out why the Dad's photos kept showing up on the son's iPhone, and as theparents had just finished a world cruise, the son had 1700 + photos and videos popping up filling his phone memory (16G)

Dug my way into the iCloud sharing and turned off no less than 8 sharing settings, Family sharing settings and deleted the son's iCloud account that was set up on the Dad's iPad. They had no idea why it was set up this way and no idea how to turn it off.

... and they give me (gentle) grief for my BlackBerry.
    thymaster and EmaliMcrtny like this.
    05-11-15 12:42 PM
    The irony of it all is that these people are the same ones who brags their phone is the best and easiest to use. They spend a lot of money on the phone but don't know how navigate through the options. They ask me for help and at the same time trash talk about BlackBerry at me.

It's funny that sometimes those people are the same that keep asking "why would anyone use a BlackBerry" to show how much they know about technology.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 01:44 PM
    I get asked all the time for phone issues. It's no different if someone knows you're a car geek and asked you about something regarding their own model and you have a different one.
    05-11-15 01:47 PM
    The irony of it all is that these people are the same ones who brags their phone is the best and easiest to use. They spend a lot of money on the phone but don't know how navigate through the options. They ask me for help and at the same time trash talk about BlackBerry at me.
    I know so many of these people.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 02:34 PM
    Just take it as a complement. I get that all the time too. I guess they think you have to be a geek to use a BlackBerry!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>
    05-11-15 04:04 PM
    iOS and Android users make up >97% of smartphone users so in effect you're asking, "Why do people ask me for help with their phones?" That's not a very friendly question the ask.
    solitude1984 likes this.
    05-11-15 04:25 PM
    I get involved in these sort of situations too, unwillingly of course.

My usual answer when asked why their phones are acting up is "I don't have that problem with my phone, I have a BlackBerry. " that usually ends it.

But for those that are nice enough to ask for help, I usually end up fixing the problem with a reboot. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the reboot hint... :-)

(Android garbage collection not working...?)

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    05-11-15 05:54 PM
42 12