I know BlackBerry is relatively a very small company and in Google's eyes, they don't need us probably, but why can't they work together ventures? BlackBerry can have Google play services, where as Google can have BlackBerry MDM integration into the roots? , maybe it will bring down the requirements of BlackBerry handsets, but for those who love to get their work done, will always support BlackBerry.

Aftab
    07-18-14 06:03 AM
    I know BlackBerry is relatively a very small company and in Google's eyes, they don't need us probably, but why can't they work together ventures? BlackBerry can have Google play services, where as Google can have BlackBerry MDM integration into the roots? , maybe it will bring down the requirements of BlackBerry handsets, but for those who love to get their work done, will always support BlackBerry.

Aftab
    This has been brought many times here, to have access to GPS you need to be part of the Open Handset Alliance, which obligates the member to run a compatible version of Android (not a run-time or forked version of Android) so basically for that to happen BBRY would have to make an android phone.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-18-14 06:28 AM
    I was actually very surprised that Google didn't buy BlackBerry a few months back, when they could have had it for buttons. It would certainly have given them a better yield than Motorola ever did. They could have shifted Android onto the QNX core, had a huge jump into the enterprise market, and rid their OEM partners of the Microsoft royalty settlements, all for the price of a few day's ad revenue.
    07-18-14 06:28 AM
    This has been brought many times here, to have access to GPS you need to be part of the Open Handset Alliance, which obligates the member to run a compatible version of Android (not a run-time or forked version of Android) so basically for that to happen BBRY would have to make an android phone.
    It goes even beyond that. Not only would BB have to make an Android phone, they'd also be prohibited from making any non-Google-Certified phone that used Android code, meaning, BB10 would either need to have the Android player completely removed, or BB10 would have to be discontinued.

Android is open-source, so anyone can do anything they want with it, but Google Services are absolutely NOT open-source, and Google uses them to maintain control over Android so that other companies aren't using Android to (effectively) compete directly against Google, as BB is doing.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    07-18-14 08:41 AM
    I think the better question is "Why would Google want to work with BlackBerry?" Why would Google want to work with a downhill company with a failed OS? Buy them and take patents, maybe, but I don't see why Google would want to work with BlackBerry and why they would see any value in it.
    bbq10l and agp101 like this.
    07-18-14 05:20 PM
    In any case, Blackberry will have to partner up with someone pretty soon. It's obvious that BB cannot survive alone especially when all other major companies taking steps to secure and expand the enterprise space.
    07-18-14 05:49 PM
    I think the better question is "Why would Google want to work with BlackBerry?" Why would Google want to work with a downhill company with a failed OS? Buy them and take patents, maybe, but I don't see why Google would want to work with BlackBerry and why they would see any value in it.
    Forget the OS and forget the past business strategies. Blackberry knows a great deal about enterprise and security and has plenty experience in those categories. Most other companies that focus on those very same categories do not excel in them. And that's why BB can be valuable to Google or any other company wanting to do better on the enterprise side of things.
    web99 likes this.
    07-18-14 05:56 PM
    Google don't even have an operating system of their own. They have a runtime that runs on open-source Linux.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 06:05 PM
    It goes even beyond that. Not only would BB have to make an Android phone, they'd also be prohibited from making any non-Google-Certified phone that used Android code, meaning, BB10 would either need to have the Android player completely removed, or BB10 would have to be discontinued.

Android is open-source, so anyone can do anything they want with it, but Google Services are absolutely NOT open-source, and Google uses them to maintain control over Android so that other companies aren't using Android to (effectively) compete directly against Google, as BB is doing.
    How are Samsung getting away with Tizen then? Is it purely because they haven't yet put it on a phone, only a watch?
    07-19-14 06:02 AM
    A bigger question is why would someone post on a Blackberry forum when they hate the products and the company? Probably just to do some self serving advertising for a blog. The fact that you don't understand what Blackberry provides for the Enterprise and Prosumer means I doubt the self serving (and probably against posting rules) blog has any valuable information.
    07-19-14 06:40 AM
    A bigger question is why would someone post on a Blackberry forum when they hate the products and the company? Probably just to do some self serving advertising for a blog. The fact that you don't understand what Blackberry provides for the Enterprise and Prosumer means I doubt the self serving (and probably against posting rules) blog has any valuable information.

Will you just grow the eff up???!!! Honestly, I get what BlackBerry has in the enterprise space, that's why I said if Google would, they should kill them and take patents and stuff like that. Right now, partially for reliability reasons, Google won't see any reason to deal with BlackBerry. I know someone said to forget about the condition of the company, but that's just backwards.

By the way, I've been posting here LONG before I had some "silly blog" in my signature, but it's funny, you seemed to be fine when I had a BBM Channel there. Double standards?
    bbq10l and Berry_Pink like this.
    07-19-14 07:48 AM
    How are Samsung getting away with Tizen then? Is it purely because they haven't yet put it on a phone, only a watch?
    As an OHA member, Samsung can have it's own OS. It just can't use a forked version of Android. Samsung, HTC, etc can use other OSes as long as they stick to Googlefied Android only.

If Amazon (or BlackBerry) wanted to join, they'd have to ditch their respective iterations of Android.
    07-19-14 07:57 AM
    They could have shifted Android onto the QNX core, had a huge jump into the enterprise market, and rid their OEM partners of the Microsoft royalty settlements, all for the price of a few day's ad revenue.
    I think you have a misunderstanding of the royalty agreements that many Android OEMs have with Microsoft. Very few (if any) of the affected patents have anything to do with the Linux kernel, so QNX wouldn't help with that, even membership in the Rockstar consortium (if the other partners would allow it, which is unlikely) wouldn't give Google that power. Royalty agreements are a fact of the business, and last I heard it was suspected that BlackBerry phones had some of the highest royalty costs on the market.

I also think many here greatly exaggerate the benefit of the QNX microkernel vs. the Linux kernel for mobile, but I realize that's considered heresy in these parts. After all, anything related to Android is undoubtedly inferior to anything related to BlackBerry.
    Timbosaurus likes this.
    07-19-14 08:35 AM
    Thanks for the pointers, I will read more around these issues. My main point about switching to the QNX base wasn't so much one of superiority of one over another, but more that in buying QNX along with BlackBerry, they would then own the entire OS, and have a lot more freedom to monopolise Android than they do currently. Bad for consumers, of course, but excellent for Google. I really do think they missed a trick there.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-19-14 08:42 AM
    My main point about switching to the QNX base wasn't so much one of superiority of one over another, but more that in buying QNX along with BlackBerry, they would then own the entire OS, and have a lot more freedom to monopolise Android than they do currently. Bad for consumers, of course, but excellent for Google. I really do think they missed a trick there.
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure that Google wants to remove any of the freedom from Android (AOSP), it would be bad PR, cause resentment from some developers, and Google would rather have others using a form of Android without Google Play Services than have another OS contender gain significant momentum. With Android as open as it is, it has allowed it to become dominant even in markets like China where many Google services are currently banned.
    07-19-14 09:15 AM
    Forget the OS and forget the past business strategies. Blackberry knows a great deal about enterprise and security and has plenty experience in those categories. Most other companies that focus on those very same categories do not excel in them. And that's why BB can be valuable to Google or any other company wanting to do better on the enterprise side of things.
    That enterprise and security knowledge translates so well into actual phone sales, I can't see why Google passed (sarcasm)
    07-19-14 09:34 AM
    The reason why the Apple/IBM partnership works well is primarily that the two companies pretty much don't compete in any way. It's also why we won't hear a peep from regulators about it because antitrust is about companies collaborating when they should be competing. This isn't the case with these two companies. They also each have their own profitable core business that can only be enhanced by the partnership. They also have plenty of time to make it work. Neither of them is running out of cash or anything.

Finally, Apple and IBM are both of such size that neither is going to be tempted nor concerned about the smaller company being acquired.

Blackberry and Google do compete, on the other hand. If Google want stop do something more with Blackberry, the would just acquire them. You only need to pay about $3B for the MDM company once you sell off the patents, the other assets, and shut down the hardware business.

The only thing standing in the way of this is the Canadian government which actually hinders Blackberrys prospects by creating all sorts of uncertainty about whether an acquisition could be possible.
    LibertyPhone likes this.
    07-19-14 09:36 AM
    The only thing standing in the way of this is the Canadian government which actually hinders Blackberrys prospects by creating all sorts of uncertainty about whether an acquisition could be possible.
    The Lenovo hypothetical interest allegedly being discouraged by the Canadian government didn't exactly come as a surprise. If a company from a foreign country on good terms with the Canadian government were to make an offer, it would have a good chance of being approved by the government (it might be tough to get a reasonable offer past the shareholders though) . The REAL thing standing in the way is that nobody with the necessary resources seems to believe BlackBerry holds enough value to be considered a good buyout.
    07-19-14 09:53 AM
    I'm glad Google isn't working with BlackBerry.. Google just sells off all ppl data to the government.

Posted via BlackBerry z10!
    07-19-14 01:08 PM
    I'm glad Google isn't working with BlackBerry.. Google just sells off all ppl data to the government.

Posted via BlackBerry z10!
    Sells?
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-19-14 01:47 PM
    If a company from a foreign country on good terms with the Canadian government were to make an offer, it would have a good chance of being approved by the government.
    If buying Blackberry was really that crucial then one o the big tech companies would certainly try it. However, who needs all that scrutiny from the Canadian government. Who needs politicians questioning your corporate motives in public? That's why nothing is happening with this idea.
    07-19-14 01:48 PM
    Sells?
    Analytics are sold to corporations for population study. Also google cooperates fully with the government on analytics and certain recurring data requests.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    07-19-14 01:58 PM
    Analytics are sold to corporations for population study. Also google cooperates fully with the government on analytics and certain recurring data requests.

They don't sell it to the government.

BBRY collects data too, and reserves the right to sell it IIRC. Both companies are fairly open about data collection.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-19-14 02:11 PM
    They don't sell it to the government.

BBRY collects data too, and reserves the right to sell it IIRC. Both companies are fairly open about data collection.
    Yo read my post correctly I never said they sell it to the government, they can however do to;
    Corporate NGO's.
    Source,
    Global studies major.

Last edited by Oglon3r; 07-30-14 at 08:11 AM.
    07-20-14 05:04 AM
    Because their core objectives are completely different.

Differentiate or Die
    07-24-14 09:39 AM
40 12