I'm choked. My galaxy S died yesterday and it has to be sent back for repairs. So I went out and bought a used BB 9300 today. I plugged the sim card in all was well. Until I went into the BELL shop here and they informed me that my the data package I have for my smart phone doesn't apply towards BB's? And all the data I had been using I was being charged extra for even though I was already paying $30 a month for data. Now long story short I don't want to change my plan around right now because the 6gigs of data for $30 is only a promo price and I won't be able to get it back when I get my android back. Any idea's?
    12-13-10 09:18 PM
    BlackBerry Data goes through the RIM servers. It works differently than other devices.

You need to change your plan or change to a different device.
    12-13-10 09:24 PM
    The title should say---> Why does BB use different data "than" other smartphones?...not trying to be an ***...it just bothers me when people mix up then and than... And yea! what she said (in reference to Motorcycle Mama's post)
    Last edited by Propa; 12-14-10 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo
    12-14-10 10:27 AM
    Yep, find thee a different smartphone than BB to stay on your existing plan and be able to use data features...

The BB delivers data differently from regular smartphones. The different method is why their push email works and so forth.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 12-14-10 at 10:39 AM.
    12-14-10 10:36 AM
    The bulk of the BB platform is dependent on RIM's server technology. Push e-mail, BBM, and the browser all must go through RIM's servers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-10 11:05 AM
    My guess is the carriers pay RIM for each berry user they have on their networks (excluding roamers). This cost of course is in turn charged to you as a berry user.
    12-14-10 11:13 AM
    Let me guess point of having their own servers is for security only?

12-14-10 11:16 AM
    Let me guess point of having their own servers is for security only?

Not really. They don't use particularly strong encryption for anything other than BES.

The big reason is so their features work. BB email would not work like it does if they didn't have their own servers to gather and process the mail from any source you provide and push it instantly to your device.

As a comparison, Android devices can push 3 email services (gmail, yahoo, and hotmail) but has to pull others by querying periodically if you have an email other than those 3. They just don't have enough dedicated servers to provide push service from any email address you can come up with.

The RIM servers also allow them to compress data coming to your device, saving bandwidth, which can help reduce your data usage and stay under whatever your plan is.
    Armordust likes this.
    12-14-10 11:37 AM
    The title should say---> Why does BB use different data "than" other smartphones?...not trying to be an ***...it just bothers me when people mix up then and than... And yea! what she said (in reference to Motorcycle Mama's post)
    Fixed it for you.
    Pilot Prop likes this.
    12-14-10 12:22 PM
    Not really. They don't use particularly strong encryption for anything other than BES.

The big reason is so their features work. BB email would not work like it does if they didn't have their own servers to gather and process the mail from any source you provide and push it instantly to your device.

As a comparison, Android devices can push 3 email services (gmail, yahoo, and hotmail) but has to pull others by querying periodically if you have an email other than those 3. They just don't have enough dedicated servers to provide push service from any email address you can come up with.

The RIM servers also allow them to compress data coming to your device, saving bandwidth, which can help reduce your data usage and stay under whatever your plan is.
    Push services on non-BB smartphones have NOTHING to do with amount of servers the manufacturers on the platform backend have. Only Blackberry works by having their own polling servers for email push. Other smartphones work by using a constant heartbeat type connection to the email servers you've configured for all of your accounts. The idea of "Push Email" is that the email is almost instantly delivered to your device, not that the email is polled by another server from the respective email server and then pushed to your device by the server triggering a connection/transmission to your smartphone. This is one of the reasons why battery life suffers a bit on other smartphones other than Blackberry. Overall, I like the idea of push email on how other smartphones do it because the control for said services are ON THE DEVICE ITSELF. You can't control how you want the email to poll/push with a Blackberry. With a Blackberry, ALL emails accounts configured in BIS are Push setups because the BB itself isn't the one doing the polling, HOWEVER, the actual polling times differ based on what email account protocols the BIS server is configured to use with said email account you've configured it to poll (this is why some are instant and others have a 15 minute delay).

Hope that makes sense...
    Armordust likes this.
    12-14-10 12:28 PM
    post before makes the point: push is a feature to instantly deliver emails to mobile devices and it can be done with several technologies ...

keep in mind what rim is selling: not devices but solutions.

i guess the different network setup comes from earlier times when blackberry where etablished in the networks. to make this perfectly work it is requried to set up a "own network".

see for example the ms push technologie: i think this should be the perfered one because no additional hard oder software, no additional dataplan is required to instant deliver mails to the device. but it may not work properly on some networks with specific routing settings.
    as normal user you will never even really have an idea what the problem is and you will not be able to fix this. the settings makeing this issue will also have impacts to data usage and battery life.

to avoid these issues and deliver a constand service they deviced to build up a seperate notwork with (i think) fixed settings provider have to fullfil to offer the bb service.

also: in earlier times the less data usage was important while the cost where very high what is not the case anymore.

also rim does something what apple wants to do: being diretly involved to the revenues of the end customer...

Armordust likes this.
    12-15-10 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD