You had to work to get them there though and they don't run as good as they do on other platforms in a lot of cases. Don't get me wrong, I know the point you're making, but you shouldn't have to jump through hoops. The BlackBerry solution, while improved, is still not friendly. Contrast it with the experience elsewhere and it's a mess.

• Why do I want to download APK's from the internet when the Google Play Store is easy and right there?
    • App include Google services? Normal people are screwed. The workarounds for that are even more of a mess/hassle. More hoops just to get an app that still might work as expected.
    • Amazon/Developers are is STILL hiding certain apps from BlackBerry users so even with the Amazon Appstore included, it's limited.

You seem smart, I don't think I really need to go on. Point is, that stuff is great but it's still a barrier to entry.
    Yes I understand all your points and I'm not defending the way people see BlackBerry or anything or that BlackBerry is by far the best thing since sliced bread. I also get that the average user is not going to want to go through those hassles you have mentioned. Being in a technology field and loving to tinker with any electronic I can get my hands on makes me enjoy having to go through those "hassles". At the end of the day it always comes down to personal preference and what an individual's priorities are when selecting a phone. I don't judge or try and push BlackBerry on anyone but I will defend my phone is someone comes after it. I enjoy my Classic and will continue to buy BlackBerrys until they stop making phones.
    03-05-15 02:17 PM
    I mean out of the box, download out of appstore immediately.

Sound like a jag owner from the 70s

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 03:06 PM
    25 year old man here. Reason they don't want it is because they don't wanna be seen using a phone made by a washed out company. They also don't know any of the new phones that are out Bc BlackBerry doesn't market AT ALL!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:57 PM
    Most of today's youth are morons. Maybe that's why.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    We were all morons when we were young at some point in time. Jump from the roof on a BMX bike, consume a Big Gulp and eight Twinkies before dinner, wear fat ties with bell bottom pants and 4 inch heel shoes, Disco, listen to AC/DC full blast with your ear on the speaker. Hey, a lot of those morons are using BlackBerry now
    03-05-15 10:39 PM
    25 year old man here. Reason they don't want it is because they don't wanna be seen using a phone made by a washed out company.
    It took 28 posts before someone mentioned the underlying reason. Brand damage.
    Magnetox and Donvald like this.
    03-05-15 11:15 PM
    That's a pretty broad stereo type there and do not consider myself a moron. I don't think the phone you choose reflects on your intelligence.
    Well said.

You had to work to get them there though and they don't run as good as they do on other platforms in a lot of cases. Don't get me wrong, I know the point you're making, but you shouldn't have to jump through hoops. The BlackBerry solution, while improved, is still not friendly. Contrast it with the experience elsewhere and it's a mess.

• Why do I want to download APK's from the internet when the Google Play Store is easy and right there?
    • App include Google services? Normal people are screwed. The workarounds for that are even more of a mess/hassle. More hoops just to get an app that still might work as expected.
    • Amazon/Developers are is STILL hiding certain apps from BlackBerry users so even with the Amazon Appstore included, it's limited.

You seem smart, I don't think I really need to go on. Point is, that stuff is great but it's still a barrier to entry.
    *drop microphone*
    Donvald, JeepBB, LazyEvul and 1 others like this.
    03-05-15 11:21 PM
    Passport?come on.like any 16 yr old is gonna run out and buy that? Im a diehard Blackberry fan..went from Bold to Z10.BB need to set down with the average guy like me or you and ask what we want.
    My 15 year old daughter that resisted me giving her a z10, loves her phone and thinks the passport looks cool as all get out.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:22 PM
    That's a pretty broad stereo type there and do not consider myself a moron. I don't think the phone you choose reflects on your intelligence.

BlackBerry Classic 10.3.1.2267
    No the phone doesn't reflect intelligence but a lot of youngsters these days are idiots. I expect it from a kid but some of the younger adults that sometimes are working and some actually vote scare me. They have no clue. Doesn't mean that you are that way but many are.

Posted via CB10
    gvs1341 likes this.
    03-05-15 11:24 PM
    I've had android, ios, legacy BlackBerry and bb10. Of all these I like bb10 the most because it suits my needs.

Our needs might not be the same as the younger generation. Haha! I use my phone to be productive. If I want to play games I go in my console.

A phone is a tool, so we pick the right one for the job. I still use my z10s, Z30, and now my Passport.

Most go with what they're comfortable with, so I go with my BB10.

via Z30
    CuriousFellow likes this.
    03-05-15 11:33 PM
    The younger generation grew up seeing full touch screen devices (iPad) . A blackberry looks like something from the stone age (typewriter).
    They didn't have typewriters in the stone age, except on The Flintstones.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:51 PM
    Swiped on my beautiful Passport!
    Try to load the same app, from android vs BlackBerry and watch which one is faster

Sabbe Satta Bhavantu Sukitatta - Posted via CB
    03-06-15 12:07 AM
    What people are failing to realize is that BlackBerry isn't catering to the consumer group anymore. Their devices aren't trying to compete with Apple or Samsung. They are making and designing devices to appeal to the Enterprise market, but even they recognize that this hardware is only going to appeal to a niche market of people. That's why so much focus has been placed on software. They are quickly becoming a software company with a small focus on hardware, when they were the other way around for a long time.

At the end of the day, BlackBerry isn't trying to sell to you as an individual consumer or an individual employee. They're selling to the Enterprise market, which has different needs than consumers do.

If nothing else, BlackBerry has proven in the last year or so that you don't need to be on top to be successful.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    Then stop selling for consumers market

03-06-15 12:12 AM
    I'm 22 and have been using Blackberrys since my first smart phone. Currently rocking the Classic. I agree that my age people and younger are not going out and buying Blackberrys. I don't see many Blackberrys in the wild ever and when I do I kind of freak out and immediately talk to that person.

I think that it's all about marketing and perception. When I was younger I saw Blackberrys everywhere and that was the smart phone to have. When the iphone and android phone started to become popular blackberry wasn't changing much and people wanted the latest and greatest technology. After the emergence of apple and android, blackberry was on the back burner and no one thought of them because other phones were out performing them. I always loved having a keyboard and could never step away from blackberry myself. When bb10 came out finally, the damage was already done.

Younger kids and people that switched to apple or android were already done with BlackBerry. They became fanboys/girls and I'm pretty sure people didn't even realize that BlackBerry was still making phones. I still get dumb ignorant comments about my BlackBerry but I couldn't care less about what people say. I get things done quicker and more efficient than anyone else. I try and sell people on BlackBerry and sometimes it works but other times I have no chance because people are too infatuated with the iphone that hasn't changed in a decade, big touch screens, and cameras. I myself just enjoy the hell out of my BlackBerry and continue to hope they make great devices. I hope BlackBerry can get rid of this perception that the company is dead and their phones blow because it's not true.

Posted via CB10
    But that's the fact. BlackBerry marketshare drop quarter to quater, see LY figure, not to mention stock market value. Not yet dead, but nearly in coma. Why not to admit the truth

But I love my q10 though

03-06-15 12:21 AM
    Then stop selling for consumers market

There's a big difference between designing and selling for the consumer market and making your product available to the consumer market. BlackBerry is now simply doing the latter. They are making devices that they are designing for the enterprise market and making them available to the consumer market. It should be noted that this is the strategy they initially employed before they took off as a brand.

They make the phones they make, and it's up to you to decide whether you want it or not. Whether you as a consumer pick it up doesn't matter because you're not the target audience.

JB

Sulaco757, Tatwi, MikeX74 and 1 others like this.
    03-06-15 05:55 AM
    One word: Marketing

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport 10.3.1.2480
    03-06-15 08:57 AM
    BlackBerry UI is cool but Android Lollipop and iOS is definitely flashier.

Also APPS! It makes a huge deal. And android apps on BlackBerry are frustrating to use due to user experience with them.

And 3, people don't know about BlackBerry nor have they even tried it.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald likes this.
    03-06-15 10:23 AM
    Most of today's youth are morons. Maybe that's why.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    Generalizing much?
    03-06-15 10:44 AM
    Even in its heyday, the BlackBerry brand was all about Men in Suits. It was about wealth and power.

In contrast, Apple and Google both come from roots that are vaguely countercultural. Apple computers were the norm in educational settings, but nowhere else. iPods were first embraced by the young. In terms of brand image, you couldn't imagine two pieces of technology more opposite than the iPod and the BlackBerry in, say, 2006. And Google's philosophy right out of the gate was to be the "anti-work" workplace, the company that laughed at corporate dress codes and pecking orders. It was supposed to be a place where creativity was encouraged at every turn, at every level. Many people still see it that way.

Sometimes it's easier to create a new brand than to change an old one. Disney Studios realized this, and it's why they created Touchstone Pictures. Back when BB10 was yet to be released, we had discussions here about whether it should be called "BlackBerry" at all. Some of us argued then that it would be better to start afresh. I still think that instead of RIM renaming itself BlackBerry, they should have named their new OS and new line of devices something other than BlackBerry. It's just too hard to change history, to get people to see you in a new way, when you keep putting the old name and the old logo in front of their eyes.

Incidentally, I think Microsoft has a similar problem with WP.
    03-06-15 11:55 AM
    Yes I understand all your points and I'm not defending the way people see BlackBerry or anything or that BlackBerry is by far the best thing since sliced bread. I also get that the average user is not going to want to go through those hassles you have mentioned. Being in a technology field and loving to tinker with any electronic I can get my hands on makes me enjoy having to go through those "hassles". At the end of the day it always comes down to personal preference and what an individual's priorities are when selecting a phone. I don't judge or try and push BlackBerry on anyone but I will defend my phone is someone comes after it. I enjoy my Classic and will continue to buy BlackBerrys until they stop making phones.
    Another problem is that tinkerers also go for Android as there is so much to thinker there: custom roms, endless customize oprions, custom kernels.
    03-06-15 11:56 AM
    There's a big difference between designing and selling for the consumer market and making your product available to the consumer market. BlackBerry is now simply doing the latter. They are making devices that they are designing for the enterprise market and making them available to the consumer market. It should be noted that this is the strategy they initially employed before they took off as a brand.

They make the phones they make, and it's up to you to decide whether you want it or not. Whether you as a consumer pick it up doesn't matter because you're not the target audience.

JB

Totally man, totally!

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-06-15 12:55 PM
    I think people forget that, for the majority of users, Apple and Android phones are perceived to be the only phones that offer an Internet browser and apps.

Blackberry will never compete in Apps, and shouldn't waste resources trying too hard. However, it is technically very well positioned for the next generation "post-app" world of fully usable mobile web sites, and the Internet of things.

Blackberry needs to build the phone of the future, not a me-too app magnet. Apps are a present-day next necessary evil and a great retail business model, but life would be better if the vast majority were replaced with good mobile web sites and if the rest, that actually need to integrate with handset functions other than text and navigation, we're platform independent. That's the future that BlackBerry should promote.

Posted via CB10
    CuriousFellow likes this.
    03-06-15 02:08 PM
    I think people forget that, for the majority of users, Apple and Android phones are perceived to be the only phones that offer an Internet browser and apps.

Blackberry will never compete in Apps, and shouldn't waste resources trying too hard. However, it is technically very well positioned for the next generation "post-app" world of fully usable mobile web sites, and the Internet of things.

Blackberry needs to build the phone of the future, not a me-too app magnet. Apps are a present-day next necessary evil and a great retail business model, but life would be better if the vast majority were replaced with good mobile web sites and if the rest, that actually need to integrate with handset functions other than text and navigation, we're platform independent. That's the future that BlackBerry should promote.

Posted via CB10
    But the other platforms have great web browsers too, making the present a very important determinant.

I do suspect with connected home concepts and IoT holding sway, apps will be here a while longer.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-06-15 02:18 PM
    I don't know about everywhere else, but here in Europe Windows phone has a nice presence thanks to the nokia brand. They may not sell a lot, but I see them in carrier advertising.
    03-06-15 02:43 PM
    I have a work windows phone it's usable, if BlackBerry wasn't available I would manage happily with ios or android. I have tried them I just prefer BlackBerry 10 at the moment it suits my needs, other people feel the same way about thier chosen OS.

Swiped on my beautiful Passport!
    03-06-15 04:51 PM
    so, I am the average user ... I like the passport big screen, the keyboard, the hub/blend, the assistant (to some extent... dictation is very good)... & a few of the native features ...if it didn't have android capability, I would not be able to view my IP camera/security system, & do a lot of other stuff ...I would never have purchased this fone without that... it's a good fone, my Pre 3 webOS fone was a great fone, but alas died of neglect... I am in my 6th decade & have owned just at 1/2 dozen cellphones lifelong ...I keep them until they grow gray hairs ...I would keep the passport for the long haul, but the OTA glitches make me wonder if it will last out the year ...I will find that out this summer durnig a trip to the EU ...I will, I must admit, take my Pre 3 as a backup in case this thing doesn't serve... sorry to say...
    RH1Pearl likes this.
    03-06-15 04:57 PM
358 1234 ...