11-22-11 05:22 AM
86 1234
tools
    I know, I know, there have been threads asking this sort of thing before.

What I want to know is why you specifically use a BlackBerry over a different device, such as the iPhone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S II?

I know they have the reputation as 'the' business device, and BBM is very popular, but are there other reasons?

I'm very much looking forward to playing with my 9900 when it arrives, I've never had one before!
    I love the keyboard. I prefer the OS in as far as I like the look of it and the functionality of the keyboard shortcuts and the search functions within each application. I love the social feeds app for combining my RSS feeds and my twitter and facebook feeds. I love how the BB looks. I think they are sleek looking...particularly the bolds. I like having a longer battery life. I prefer the size and shape of the bold phones as well...I am very excited to get the 9900. I think the external speakers are better and I get insomnia so I listen to tunein radio sometimes late at night. I also tend to have music playing on my phone as it sits in my shirt pocket when I BBQ or am doing chores around the house. I also love my playbook and the ability to bridge my smartphone to my tablet. I don't want to give up that functionality. That is what I can think of off the top of my head.
    Last edited by D_March; 08-17-11 at 07:23 PM.
    08-17-11 07:20 PM
    I have both. I think the iphone and BB are the two best phones out there. I tried android, but it has to many issues. I use a BB for work, so that's why I have both. I would much rather type out a long email on a keyboard then on a touch screen. But that is one of many reasons.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 07:21 PM
    1. rock solid phone with crystal clear calls.
    2. keyboard
    3. reliable email push
    4. battery life
    5. Customization, no rooting or jailbreaking required.
    6. excellent tools available like BDM, BBSAK, BB Boss.

I do not facebook, myspace, or twitter, have no interest in listening to music, watching movies or playing games on my phone. So an Iphone or android phone would be of no use to me and less of what I really want in a phone.

BB has all the Apps I need or want, I dont need an app store with 400K apps when 399,950 are just junk anyway.

But that is just me.
    08-17-11 07:31 PM
    That isn't a response I expected. 5GB per month? What did you use it for!
    E-mail (lots of e-mail everyday), streaming music and video, using the web, and some GPS nav.

I didn't change what I was doing on the iPhone compared to previous BlackBerry's, and my data consumption went out of the roof. Luckily I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan on AT&T.
    08-17-11 07:40 PM
    1. Keyboard - better than any other device, and I don't like touch keyboards at all (have a Nook and an iTouch).
    2. Message inbox - this is HUGE for me. The BB message inbox is WAY better integrated in my opinion.
    3. Professional look. Dunno why, I dress like a scrub, but I like a professional looking phone.
    4. Themes. Android has them too, but they're just not the same. And iPhunct themes (which you have to jailbreak to use anyway) really suck.
    5. Security. No one wants to hack my, but if they ever did (and who knows, someday someone might) it's nice to know they can't.
    6. BBM. Didn't know about it till I'd had a BB for 8 months or so, and then I joined a political BBM group - loved BBM ever since then.
    That's it for now I guess.
    08-17-11 08:42 PM
    My reasons...

1. QWERTY keyboard. Most of my friends are touch screen users, and I'm constantly annoyed with the amount of misspelled in their texts. I have also switched to Android twice, and came back because of this reason.
    2. Lack of apps. Ya.. most people complain about the lack of apps. I for one am satisfied with what BB offers. I don't need a bunch of useless apps taking up my time. All I hope for is a Google + app in the near future.
    3. Size and curvature of the device. Both htc devices that I had were sharp edged at the top and hurt my ear when talking on the phone. I prefer the smooth curves of my Bold 9650. It's like an elegant woman.
    4. OS friendly. I don't have to force close apps on an hourly basis or download a task killer to shut everything off.
    5. Battery power lasts all day, and I don't have to freak out asking my co-working for a compatible charger half way through the day.
    08-17-11 08:49 PM
    I own a BB and an Android. Both are active under one plan. Many of the arguments against Android may have been valid in the past, not so much anymore. Yes my Infuse is ready for a charge when I go to bed, but come on, who purposely avoids charging their phone for days? It really isn't that hard to charge a phone at home/work or in the car. Messaging? I have tested both side by side and sms/email get here withing 10-15 seconds apart. Is that so bad? Typing is more difficult at first, but look around, find a keyboard that fits your style. There's a dozen out there. "Rooting" is a one or two button process nowadays. All I'm saying is some of you (very few) are still hanging on to what once was true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    08-17-11 09:12 PM
    Because it's still the best. Duh!

Seriously, I have my reasons:

1) Most productive device in the business
    2) Best messaging device in the business
    3) Best notification in the business
    4) Best messaging app in the business
    5) None of that iTune ****
    6) No need to charge the battery three times a day like Android
    7) Bridge to PlayBook
    8) Manufactured in countries with at least a modicum of respect for human rights
    9) RIM is Canadian and I'm proud
    Last edited by pattste; 08-17-11 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Had to add number 9, eh!
    08-17-11 09:44 PM
    1) I like the keyboard

2) It is the only device I can expense at work. This signifigant reason for me
    08-17-11 09:59 PM
    Keyboard
    Business Features
    Shortcuts
    Touch / qwerty combination
    Battery Life

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-17-11 10:01 PM
  11. T
    Shortcuts! (Should have echoed that in my reply earlier.)

08-17-11 10:35 PM
    Am on bb because of BBM
    So:
    1.) Bbm
    Only !!! If not I would be on some nokia dumphone waiting ffor the galaxy s2 wp7 replica

08-17-11 11:21 PM
    cause its what my work supplied me and i love bbm
    08-17-11 11:27 PM
    I've used all of the most popular phone platforms from web os, iphone, windows 7, android, symbian. I always find my way back to blackberry. Why? 1. I love how they feel in the hand. They are the most comfortable phones to continually hold. Comparatively speaking, the iphone 4 is very uncomfortable to hold for longer than a few mins.
    2. True PUSH email. This is huge!!! As more people continue to move away from actual voice calls. Messaging/email will be the primary form of mobile communication.
    3. Notification light that lets me know when i have something that requires my attention & is user customizable.
    4. My productivity ramps up because i'm not looking for apps that i don't really need or will use only once. I don't worry about games or something to kill time. It actually helps to sharpen my focus.

This is why my sim card lives in my bb. For me, it is a tried and true solution. It may not do as much as some other devices, but what it does, it does better than any other device out there.
    08-18-11 02:37 AM
    Qwerty keyboard
    Os
    Functionability
    Apps/theme/overall design
    Bbm/browser
    Notifications/led

Can't wait to get a 9900

08-18-11 07:22 AM
    I don't have an iPhone for a few reasons. One is that it has been on Verizon for a short time (relative to AT&T) and I've had no upgrade opportunity, and there's no way I'd switch to AT&T and it's inferior network where I live. I like the iPhone, but I honestly am not sure I want one, despite my love of Apple products, because so many around me have them already. I appreciate that I'm a BlackBerry user in a sea of iPhone users. Also, the current iPhone is the mobile device equivalent of lead crystal. Glass front and back. Really? If I had one, it would be broken in a week because I think something that beautiful should not be hidden inside a case. That just makes it look like an ordinary Android device.

Speaking of Android...I just have a mental block against the Android operating system, likely due to the lack of vertical integration, though Google's acquisition of Motorola may eventually address my concerns in that regard. I do appreciate Apple's and RIM's business model when it comes to smartphone device and OS manufacturing. The Android OS, on the other hand, seems b*stardized to me. I know that very aspect of it appeals to many, but not to me.

I have an opportunity now to upgrade to an iPhone or Android device (an unexpected opportunity...thought I had to wait till April of next year), but I think I'm going to stick with my trusty Storm for a little while longer...unless I succumb to Bold fever and snap up a 9930 to support the BB cause. :-)

(Yes, I *love* my Storm. I was a late adopter, about one year after its initial release, so by the time I got my hands on it all the kinks had been ironed out. I love the build quality, the SurePress screen, the battery life, the phone audio quality...to me, it's just about perfect. The only thing I would change would be to increase the app memory to 512MB or more.)
    08-18-11 07:56 AM
    If you use an android the way you use your blackberry, you'll get a similar battery life.

But then again that would be rather pointless.

Charging 3 times a day, what are you using...a Thunderbolt...only thing I can think of.
    08-18-11 09:00 AM
    For me, there are some important things that I need and some things I just like, but can do with or without.
    I have tried and tried and tried to make Android and iPhone work as well as Blackberrys for the things that are important to me. It can't be done.

I need the Precision of a trackpad or similar and a One-Hand use Qwerty Keyboard.

I need to Sync Email, Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks with Outlook, over the wire to BES preferably.
    My years of Memos from my Palm need to come with me and be available even if the internet is not.

I need shortcut Text Substitution and a fast way to enter the current date into a Calendar note (finally coming to iPhone in IOS5)

I need fast, reliable Email.

I need good quality Phone calls, fast, easy to find somebody in my huge contact list.

I need copy and paste, easy to use and precise.

I need Google Search and occasional web site viewing.

I need a customizable Database that syncs with a Windows app.

I need a Vehicle Fuel and Maintenance tracking app.

I need a Shopping List app that can import and handle my 550 item list.

I need a replaceable battery and good battery life.

I need it to work on Verizon Wireless and Global also.

I want a big touch screen
    I want to play a game or two
    I want to listen to music sometimes
    I want to check Facebook and maybe twitter on occasion
    I want an eBay App

Only one brand of device meets all of the Needs and most of the Wants.
    08-20-11 04:49 PM
    Does BB compress all data that goes out to their devices? Say for example web browsing use less on BB than Iphone? How about streaming music, is it compressed as well? Just trying to understand how much compression matters with Blackberry plans/phones.
    Streaming audio is not compressed. I've used 200MB in a single day just by streaming TuneInRadio a few hours.

08-20-11 05:22 PM
    for now i'm happy using a bb because:
    1) sms/email, i don't use bbm.
    2) themes - anything from the basic OS6 default to premium ones
    3) berry weather app, using customs sets
    4) battery ex app, using custom skins

i have put some consideration into getting an iPhone when my upgrade comes due.....still on the fence about that and weighing out my pros/cons with it.
    08-20-11 08:30 PM
    1. Physical keyboard - I hate typing on touch screens all day...
    2. Notification LED - seriously, after going two days with a non-BB smart phone, I am baffled as to how I got through the day without this!
    3. Simplicity - keeping the main thing the main thing: Calls, Text, Email
    08-20-11 08:42 PM
    1. Physical keyboard - I hate typing on touch screens all day...
    2. Notification LED - seriously, after going two days with a non-BB smart phone, I am baffled as to how I got through the day without this!
    3. Simplicity - keeping the main thing the main thing: Calls, Text, Email
    I have to agree with every point here

Before I even thought about smartphones, I was looking for a qwerty phone.

When I want to check my phone (I often don't hear when I'm busy and have it off of my hip, I don't even pull it out of the case(the original leather one). I just pull it a half inch out and look at the led, if it's not red I put the phone back and continue with what I was doing,

I love the simplicity of it also. I feel like I get the quickness of getting things done that is in a feature (dumb) phone with the power of a smartphone. My only spite is that my phone regularly freezes for garbage cleaning. I wish I could set it up to do that when I put it in the holster that way it wouldn't pop up so often.
    08-20-11 11:59 PM
    For me, a few reasons hold true...

One, the LED and the ability to CUSTOMIZE it. Having a different color for apps or events or notifications is a very clever and efficient way of knowing what your BB has been doing since the last time you looked at it, probably jus a few seconds or minutes ago.

Two, the ability to install an updated OS from basically ANY carrier is a compelling reason to have a BB.

Three, the ability to use hybrid OS versions to make your BB work even better is another great reason.

And four, because I love to go against the grain and see others' reactions when I can do almost the same things they do with other platform phones. Even make my BB f*rt if need be... :-)
    08-21-11 12:27 AM
    as a blackberry smartphone lover i say that even android is ahead of blackberry in corporate domain but blackberry is still king at enterprise level.
    Iceman likes this.
    08-21-11 01:02 AM
    Android is only ahead in the app market and their cameras. With the new os7 devices Blackberry is closing the gap.

If we had the app to please the people who want some crazy apps and better cameras (5MP standard on the curve) then it would stop a lot of mud-slinging towards RIM
    08-21-11 01:24 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD