Hello to all,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading along and poking my head in here and there for a couple of week now. I've found this forum to be quite friendly (for the most part) and very informative, so I've decided to join:

1. to make new friends
    2. better communicate with other blackberry users
    3. to further educate myself of, from what I've read to be, amazing machines that fit in the palm of one's hand

I don't currently own a Blackberry, and never owned a smartphone to begin with. I am however highly anticipating the Bold's release and looking to get my hands on one. I've considered other phones such as the iphone, and have read the very entertaining article "10 reasons why the iphone is still no Blackberry," and have come to the conclusion that Blackberry is way I want to go. I've read many great stories and interesting positions and aspects supporting Blackberry.

So I'd like to pick at your brains for a sec and understand why all of you have and own a Blackberry?
    What purpose does is serve for you? (Personal? Business? or both!)
    What makes it so essential and important to you and why?

p.s. sorry for the long post (such a noob thing to do!)
    07-06-08 01:42 PM
    Well, i was looking to upgrade from a Razor to something that i could do everything on. I originally thought the blackberry curve was too small but nothing else seem to have all that i wanted for personal use and business use so i got it and i love it! it fits just fine and does more than i thought i would ever need. the sky is the limit for uses and fun.
    07-06-08 01:52 PM
    my answer's pretty short and sweet:

i like toys!
    07-06-08 01:53 PM
    Personal here - it helps with my school (being able to receive email at all times, online classes in the summer) as well. I just like being connected all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-08 01:57 PM
    I love being able to take it with me everywhere and knowing that I have everything I need at my fingertips.
    07-06-08 02:01 PM
    This is my 5th BB. It's part of my worklife and family life. I dont think I'll ever own a non RIM phone.
    07-06-08 02:02 PM
    I own a BB because I am obsessed with checking my personal e-mails. As a woman, I get tons of e-mails on sales, I get e-mails from my union, I get e-mails from items I order online and I get e-mails about my memberships and declining offers for DVDs for example.

As many of you will agree, these are personal things that I rather not do on a company owned computer on company time nonetheless. The BB keeps my behind from getting fired as it prevents me from visiting any websites that I would not want IT Department to scan or find reason to fire me for. I work in an office, so its a constant temptation while downtown is taking place or when there happens not to be too much traffic.

I own a BB because its easier to text, reply to e-mail an send picture messages because of the design of the keyboard, I don't have press a key various times to get to the letter I want to use. I can have all of my e-mail addresses synched, registered and receive e-mails from each and all of them.

I love the Calendar it has, it allows for multiple scheduling and a calender for each e-mail address. You can program events for work using your e-mail address for work, and you can program events for your personal life with your personal e-mail address. The Calendar alone makes it worth having for me. I have two different schedules at work during the 4 seasons of the year, and the calendar allows for you to set appt and enter an ending date and time, isn't that cool?

I've never met such efficiency. It even allows you to put a password on your device, it beats having to choose numbers all of the time.
    The quality of the camera is like no other. If you are just like me, you will need an 8gb SD memory card to store stuff like pictures and other documents. Having enough memory facilitates the speed in which your BB operates.

I just bought it to cover my a$$ at work.
    All I can say....
    07-06-08 02:02 PM
    I had a Razr that needed replacing and while looking around for a new fone I saw that the BB was only a few hundred dollars more than a fone I was looking at buying.
    So I bought the BB without knowing anything about it and what it could be used for etc.
    I was just looking for a fone and ended up with so much more. And when I found out I could use it as a tethered modem I was very happy.

07-06-08 02:06 PM

I just bought it to cover my a$$ at work.
    All I can say....
    lol - i use MSN at work, for work, but when my boyfriend gets online and starts getting too personal - or i have a work story i need to share that requires discretion, i just say "text" and he knows we have to take the conversation offline to my berry! wow, would be so convenient if he'd just go bb himself!
    07-06-08 02:08 PM
    lol - i use MSN at work, for work, but when my boyfriend gets online and starts getting too personal - or i have a work story i need to share that requires discretion, i just say "text" and he knows we have to take the conversation offline to my berry! wow, would be so convenient if he'd just go bb himself!
    Well, I have one of those boyfriends that can't have a fancy phone because they will break it. He is on call 24/7 and always on the stupid nextel. I am trying to persuade him into buying a blackberry so that we can begin texting each other but to no avail, as he cannot have a phone that can't be dropped all of the time. Ugh, how annoying.
    07-06-08 02:18 PM
    great responses! just what i'm looking for.
    keep em coming!
    07-06-08 02:26 PM
    they have been the only devices that can keep up with me

they are always connected
    have great battery life
    and are so durable

i have had a lot of phones, but my faves are always berrys
    ive had a
    07-06-08 02:35 PM
    I love being able to take it with me everywhere and knowing that I have everything I need at my fingertips. It helps me to keep track of appointments, my kids activities and it makes my life easier running my new business.
    07-06-08 02:39 PM
    Hmmmmmmm WHY:
    1. I like electronic gagets!
    2. Work is paying for my BES service
    3. To be the man with all the stats at the Phillies games.
    4. to text my family with a full keyboard
    5. I like electronic.......
    07-06-08 02:40 PM
    Originally got mine for work. I had actually been investigating them when my work started using BB's. Once I started playing with them a little I finally found a reason to be issued a lovely 7105t (it was supposed to be an 8700 but a higher up pinched it when it arrived!). Had that for a while and stretched it's limits. finally went on my own and got my 8320 which I use tons for both work and personal. Cannot really see owning another phone ever again......they feel so.....useless. Hopefully going to get my wife over to a berry soon.......
    07-06-08 02:41 PM
    Why do you have a Blackberry?

The first smartphone I had was the Samsung SPH-i500. That phone was awesome (for it's time), but for lack of a better description, it felt like liquid ice or a wet glass. It kept slipping out of my hand. I could pick it up from a table or desk and within seconds, it was on the floor. Well, not much you can do with a phone you cant hold onto- so I moved to the Treo arena.

I've had every successive Treo from the 600 - 755p and one day I decided that I wanted something different. So I switch to a WinMo for the full sized keyboard. I wasnt happy with the sluggishness provided by Windows based phones. In the meantime, I got myself an iPhone simply because it was just another new toy to have.

Having used everything else, I decided, to stick my toes in the BB pool. And OMG, in comparison, the BB is the Cr�me de la Cr�me of a 5 star resort while all former phones have been a gym workout!

Now that I've made the switch, I couldn't imagine ever going backwards.
    07-06-08 02:41 PM
    Hi,
    I had the RAZR too, and always was fascinated by the Blackberry. My main
    motivation for purchasing the Curve was staying connected to my son who is an Army Cpt. in Afghanistan. I craved having a phone that could deliver all
    the calls/emails/organizing apps in one pakage. Boy,, purchasing the BB was
    a Super decision for me. I have had so much fun with the fun applications,
    taking pictures with the BB and emailing to my son on a real time basis! I will
    never go back to another type phone. I am sold!!!
    07-06-08 02:45 PM
    This phone has been a great tool to keeping my life organized, and as a college student that is key to academic success. When signing a new contract I had a lot of options as far as phones were concerned, I wanted something that was going to be reliable, fast, and easy to use. I also wanted something that was going to be able to fit in my academic and personal life. I was away at school and it was going to be my only phone, so it needed to be reliable. After careful research I decided on a Blackberry. Detailed Organizers and Alerts allow for me to always stay on top of everything. The big screen and qwerty keyboard have allowed for me to text and picture message with ease, never missing a beat with my friends and family I was away from. The bluetooth technology allows for me to keep in touch and connected while on the go in a safer manner. This phone does it all, it makes life simple, it makes my days easy to manage and more productive. I always have my schedule right in the palm of my hand so it's easy to stay on top of it. This phone will also grow with me as I grow from a college student into a member of the workforce. I will simply never have to give up my Blackberry, because it will always be practical and useful no matter what I am doing, there's not many cell phones out there that can grow with you. I know that no matter what time in my life, and no matter what model number it is Blackberry will always have what I need.

P.S Yes I do love my phone this much...
    07-06-08 03:10 PM
    Same here, I'm in college az well & I luv 2 text and also I use the calendar 4 mi scheduled eventz and the alarm 2 wake me up 4 clazz! By far, the best fone I've ever had!

07-06-08 03:29 PM
    I've had the BB 7100 then settled on T-mobiles MDA but was too tired of the touch screen for my type of work and fell in love with the Curve. And there is where I shall remain.
    07-06-08 03:29 PM
    I started with one for work. I work in a 24/7 environment where a lot of things come up with a high degree of urgency. It was wonderful. Could deal with email on days off so when I returned to the office there wasn't a huge pile in the inbox. This allowed me to be prepared and able to hit the ground running and deal with people, not tied to a desk. (I am a Manager in a 911 centre).

I quickly realized that this would be a great idea for a personal device. I could have my calendar, email, texting, memos, to-do lists and a fairly decent web browsing experience all in the palm of my hand. The camera has come in handy a few times as well.

Perhaps the greatest reason was it allows me to communicate with friends and family in whatever format THEY prefer all from one device. If they want to text, they can. If the want to call, they can. E-Mail? They can, all in real time!!

I am hooked!

07-06-08 03:33 PM
    Recently getting the curve was a huge upgrade from the lg chocolate for me. I am on the road as a musician for big spaces of time. Amazing device to keep me connected anywhere I'm at! So much easier the carrying a laptop all the time. Slowly I can see it taking over many more of the things I use my laptop for. Many of which are book keeping and such for my business back home. If nothing else I just typed all this on it while traveling to a new state!
    07-06-08 03:40 PM
    I needed something that could do it all from business apps to personal apps. I don't want to carry a bunch of devices and packing a laptop is not an option most of the time.
    07-06-08 03:41 PM
    Do I need to say more, check out my sig...
    07-06-08 04:11 PM
    I had a Razr on a two-year contract, and it ended in June. So, I was poking around on the Alltel website, looking for possible phone choices, and the Blackberry just seemed like a good choice, with all of its features.
    It's really just for my personal use, but I use it all the time. It's such a great phone! :]
    07-06-08 04:21 PM
182 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD