first of all im not saying im against blackberry devices or something like that i just wondered if anyone else has thought about this and would like to discuss it?

iv just been thinking and iv noticed that on my old sony ericsson k800i (a very old phone) but it had lots of things built in that made it perfect and all worked fine, it never needed restarting and just everything worked fine and it had tons of native programmes that every phone users needs, also the battery would last for around 3 days and it would never freeze or anything, but since iv had a blackberry i find myself constantly looking for apps to improve my phone to the standard of a phone that someone would be pleased with, surely if blackberrys are so smart the things im looking for should just be built in? like a simple power saving programme? or a "add contact" option after an new number calls you...? maybe even an option to send messages to "all" option rather than having to add contacts 1 by 1 into a "group" and just dont get me started on the blackberry lack camera quality development

did rim just make blackberry devices as simple as possible and make them missing out most common or simple things to earn more money for developers on the app world or what?

i mean cmon the so called "smart phone" doesn't even have a scientific calculator!?

the only thing im pleased with one my phone is bbm, the led indicator, the qwerty keyboard and id say that it...

P.S you may reply saying there for buisness use and emails for companies and that a fair point, but if that so true why are rim trying to release new OS systems and apps to make the phone more fun, also you may say its an internet phone but my sony ericsson from years ago has just as fast inernet browsers on that

thanks
    09-11-10 07:05 AM
    On your sony ericsson k800i while on a call could you check your location, check your callers location, get driving time and map the route if needed go into your calendar and set an appointment with reminder and inform your caller you'll be there at the time you choose?
    09-11-10 07:14 AM
  3. T
    P.S you may reply saying there for buisness use and emails for companies and that a fair point, but if that so true why are rim trying to release new OS systems and apps to make the phone more fun ...
    Well, I hope THAT'S not true. "Fun" is stupid.
    09-11-10 07:16 AM
    On your sony ericsson k800i while on a call could you check your location, check your callers location, get driving time and map the route if needed go into your calendar and set an appointment with reminder and inform your caller you'll be there at the time you choose?
    no i couldnt but iv noticed if you not in a wi-fi hotspot and you try and do this on a blackberry its impossible without wifi coverage, one thing i could do while on a call is record the conversation if someone was telling me directions or vital information...
    09-11-10 07:24 AM
    Please, do yourself a favor and go find a "fun" phone. There is something for everyone out there. The world is your oyster joebmxx, now go have "fun".
    09-11-10 07:25 AM
    Please, do yourself a favor and go find a "fun" phone. There is something for everyone out there. The world is your oyster joebmxx, now go have "fun".
    as i said i posted this for discussion not arguments, i didnt say i wanted a fun phone anywhere in my post, i said it looks like rim are trying to make the blackberry more fun with the new OS interface and variety of new apps.
    09-11-10 07:28 AM
    first of all im not saying im against blackberry devices or something like that i just wondered if anyone else has thought about this and would like to discuss it?

iv just been thinking and iv noticed that on my old sony ericsson k800i (a very old phone) but it had lots of things built in that made it perfect and all worked fine, it never needed restarting and just everything worked fine and it had tons of native programmes that every phone users needs, also the battery would last for around 3 days and it would never freeze or anything, but since iv had a blackberry i find myself constantly looking for apps to improve my phone to the standard of a phone that someone would be pleased with, surely if blackberrys are so smart the things im looking for should just be built in? like a simple power saving programme? or a "add contact" option after an new number calls you...? maybe even an option to send messages to "all" option rather than having to add contacts 1 by 1 into a "group" and just dont get me started on the blackberry lack camera quality development

did rim just make blackberry devices as simple as possible and make them missing out most common or simple things to earn more money for developers on the app world or what?

i mean cmon the so called "smart phone" doesn't even have a scientific calculator!?

the only thing im pleased with one my phone is bbm, the led indicator, the qwerty keyboard and id say that it...

P.S you may reply saying there for buisness use and emails for companies and that a fair point, but if that so true why are rim trying to release new OS systems and apps to make the phone more fun, also you may say its an internet phone but my sony ericsson from years ago has just as fast inernet browsers on that

thanks
    I'm pretty much brand new to BB, with a Torch. But you make me want to respond.

1) I'm glad your SE doesn't need to be restarted. Unfortunately, every modern phone OS I've used has required that, some more often than others. If your SE has everything & does everything you want/need, then why did you switch?

2) If you're having issues with your BB, have you posted in the Curve 8520 forum so someone can address your issues directly or let you know that the problems indicate you ought to get the phone replaced?

3) Blackberry may not be "smart enough" to include a scientific calculator, but many of us (like me) don't need one that complex. On the other hand, I have a BB Torch. And, with a huge (by BB standards) touchscreen & moderate use, I can still get close to 2 days without charging. Most models would last longer. When BBs get much better battery life than most other phones, why would you need a battery saving app? That's a built in benefit. And there are settings that can be tweaked, besides.

4) Because I've owned smartphones with different OSes, I set up a Gmail account as my main email account. Setup on the Torch took no effort & contacts were automatically imported.

5) The add contact feature is built into my Torch. I'm not sure where you'd find that on yours. But you might try the BB menu when you've ended a call.

6) I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the BB camera. Since you chose a phone with only a 2 mp camera, that's not all BB's fault.

7) You're probably right about the k800 being just as fast at web browsing as the 8520. Unless you're on Wifi (which the k800 can't do), connection speeds are Edge, not 3g, for both. In September of 2010, why would you choose a phone that doesn't have 3g?

8) You mentioned the the phone you chose isn't great for "fun" stuff. Get a different phone. Certainly video & audio streaming isn't going to work as well at Edge speeds as at 3g. And there are BB models (and other phones) that are much better at the "fun stuff".

9) You asked why BBs don't include a lot of things built in. First, most of us who have used smartphones for awhile appreciate not having to slow down the phone with a lot of unneeded bloat. That calculator you mentioned may be just right for you, but not me. So, why would I want to have two calculators on my phone, just to get the one I want? Second, most of the apps I want & use fit one of three categories, on my phone, included, free, or inexpensive. The one exception (for me) is an organizer I've used on other platforms & want to continue using. Otherwise, did I mention that most of the apps you're ever going to want or use are included, free, or inexpensive?

10) Since your phone sounds like it may not be working right, doesn't have the features you want & is, in general, isn't satisfying you, why not switch to something more satisfying -- BB or some other OS? There are certainly lots of good choices. If there's some reason you can't change phones, at this point, then my advice is to suck it up, stop whining & start looking at your options to make the 8520 as close to what you want as possible. There are lots of people here & on other sites who would be happy to help you get to enjoy your phone. As long as you ask nicely, ask in the right forum section, & don't generalize that all phones of a particular OS or type are lacking, just because the one you chose doesn't match your expectations.

I'm leaving the soapbox, now.
    09-11-10 08:59 AM
    Just an FYI here - This is a blessing for me ! ! ! The 8520 is a VERY rock solid BB right out of the box. My wife never restart it or does battery pulls. She installs and uninstalls stuff through apps world. It is always on and gets charged when needed. It is filthy dirty, drives me nuts, I don't even touch it, I don't want my berry getting infected. The OS has never been touched. My point, if it keep on ticking it has to be one of the best. I could not even begin to guess how many times she has reinstalled the OS on her computers. If she has not screwed the 8520 up it must be hard to do. Knock on wood I didn't jinks it.
    09-11-10 09:21 AM
    Just an FYI here - This is a blessing for me ! ! ! The 8520 is a VERY rock solid BB right out of the box. My wife never restart it or does battery pulls. She installs and uninstalls stuff through apps world. It is always on and gets charged when needed. It is filthy dirty, drives me nuts, I don't even touch it, I don't want my berry getting infected. The OS has never been touched. My point, if it keep on ticking it has to be one of the best. I could not even begin to guess how many times she has reinstalled the OS on her computers. If she has not screwed the 8520 up it must be hard to do. Knock on wood I didn't jinks it.
    Those sound like good reasons to keep it.
    09-11-10 09:35 AM
    Those sound like good reasons to keep it.
    Actually I'm amazed everyday it's still going. I should call RIM and have them make a TV commercial.
    09-11-10 09:38 AM
    Reason I have a BB, because I tell it to stand at attention and Bing, it does so...that and it does flips on command...is pretty cool at parties...a real conversation starter...can your SE do that...paaaaaaleease!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 09:44 AM
    Kraski you make some excellent points! I am new to the Blackberry OS and I am quite happy with the Bold 9650. The perfect phone doesn't exist but I don't need a perfect phone. The 9650 does everything I need it to do.
    09-11-10 10:07 AM
    I might be biased but I love my BLACKBERRY. Initially I wondered why it doesn't have this and that...but after having it for a while I do understand why it doesn't have certain apps that come standard on some phones. Because a lot of the crap that comes on other phones just takes up space and u never use it anyway. With blackberry u can delete whatever u don't want to make more space for what u do want. I have over 50 apps installed on my berry and honestly I've only paid for about 4 or 5 of them. Mem booster, quicklaunch and a couple of games. The wonderful thing about a smart phone is u can customize it the way u want. Like someone said everyone doesn't need a scientific calculator or whatever. I still have over 50mb of mem. on my phone because I even deleted some of the games and apps that came with it that I never used. Between app world and crackberry app store u can find whatever u need or didn't know that u needed for free or very cheap. It just takes time to learn what your berry needs are.

As far as the web browser goes, I was using Bolt and opera mini until I ran across a post here that said u can change the native browser settings to make it faster by disabling java script and repeating animation 10 times. Instead of 100. I also use wifi whenever available which is waaaaay faster than even 3g. Now 99% of the time I use the blackberry browser.

I don't have real issues with battery pulls or my phone freezing esp since I got mem booster and berry joose (can't remember if bj is free or not, if it wasn't free I don't remember it costing much). I eat sleep and breathe blackberry. it does exactly what I want simply and efficiently. And anything I don't know I can always find it here on Crackberry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 10:21 AM
    Kraski you make some excellent points! I am new to the Blackberry OS and I am quite happy with the Bold 9650. The perfect phone doesn't exist but I don't need a perfect phone. The 9650 does everything I need it to do.
    That's exactly the point, isn't it? I have a friend who's a moderator on another forum. She has a 9700, but has chosen to switch to an Xperia X10. Having used WM 5, 6.1 & 6.5, as well as playing with Android 2.0, 2.1 & 2.2, version 1.6 just doesn't cut it for me. But it works well for her. Which is awesome! On the other hand, with her 9700 experience, she wasn't comfortable with the Torch, which I think is close to the perfect phone. I'm certainly glad we're all different. The world couldn't handle more than one of me.
    09-11-10 10:35 AM
    Actually I'm amazed everyday it's still going. I should call RIM and have them make a TV commercial.
    Why not? If Mercedes Benz can point to both cutting edge tech & longevity, why not RIM?
    09-11-10 10:43 AM
    I'm pretty much brand new to BB, with a Torch. But you make me want to respond.

1) I'm glad your SE doesn't need to be restarted. Unfortunately, every modern phone OS I've used has required that, some more often than others. If your SE has everything & does everything you want/need, then why did you switch?

2) If you're having issues with your BB, have you posted in the Curve 8520 forum so someone can address your issues directly or let you know that the problems indicate you ought to get the phone replaced?

3) Blackberry may not be "smart enough" to include a scientific calculator, but many of us (like me) don't need one that complex. On the other hand, I have a BB Torch. And, with a huge (by BB standards) touchscreen & moderate use, I can still get close to 2 days without charging. Most models would last longer. When BBs get much better battery life than most other phones, why would you need a battery saving app? That's a built in benefit. And there are settings that can be tweaked, besides.

4) Because I've owned smartphones with different OSes, I set up a Gmail account as my main email account. Setup on the Torch took no effort & contacts were automatically imported.

5) The add contact feature is built into my Torch. I'm not sure where you'd find that on yours. But you might try the BB menu when you've ended a call.

6) I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the BB camera. Since you chose a phone with only a 2 mp camera, that's not all BB's fault.

7) You're probably right about the k800 being just as fast at web browsing as the 8520. Unless you're on Wifi (which the k800 can't do), connection speeds are Edge, not 3g, for both. In September of 2010, why would you choose a phone that doesn't have 3g?

8) You mentioned the the phone you chose isn't great for "fun" stuff. Get a different phone. Certainly video & audio streaming isn't going to work as well at Edge speeds as at 3g. And there are BB models (and other phones) that are much better at the "fun stuff".

9) You asked why BBs don't include a lot of things built in. First, most of us who have used smartphones for awhile appreciate not having to slow down the phone with a lot of unneeded bloat. That calculator you mentioned may be just right for you, but not me. So, why would I want to have two calculators on my phone, just to get the one I want? Second, most of the apps I want & use fit one of three categories, on my phone, included, free, or inexpensive. The one exception (for me) is an organizer I've used on other platforms & want to continue using. Otherwise, did I mention that most of the apps you're ever going to want or use are included, free, or inexpensive?

10) Since your phone sounds like it may not be working right, doesn't have the features you want & is, in general, isn't satisfying you, why not switch to something more satisfying -- BB or some other OS? There are certainly lots of good choices. If there's some reason you can't change phones, at this point, then my advice is to suck it up, stop whining & start looking at your options to make the 8520 as close to what you want as possible. There are lots of people here & on other sites who would be happy to help you get to enjoy your phone. As long as you ask nicely, ask in the right forum section, & don't generalize that all phones of a particular OS or type are lacking, just because the one you chose doesn't match your expectations.

I'm leaving the soapbox, now.
    haha this must have took you a while you write yeah i see where your coming from if im honest i think it might just be the fact that my cutve 8520 is a low budget peice of crap haha
    09-11-10 12:28 PM
    haha this must have took you a while you write yeah i see where your coming from if im honest i think it might just be the fact that my cutve 8520 is a low budget peice of crap haha
    At this point, low budget, maybe. But there are those who still have success with them. Just the fact that the phone is never going to be polling for 3G network connection is going to save battery. And not everyone is going to be streaming stuff off the net. So, it can be a cheap way of doing all the basic BB stuff.

If you're looking for more & still want a BB, I can recommend the Torch. Others here can probably give you some positive info on other models like the 9700, etc. I can vouch for the fact that the Torch is not "video ready" yet. It doesn't support all formats & what it does support could be better -- OK for watching news interviews, but you're not going to want to try watching Avatar on it. Streaming & onvboard music is great! And the Torch actually has a decent browser, unlike your 8520. If you really want video, then you might be best looking elsewhere.
    09-11-10 01:13 PM
    Do you not know how to spell "I've"?
    09-11-10 02:46 PM
    At this point, low budget, maybe. But there are those who still have success with them. Just the fact that the phone is never going to be polling for 3G network connection is going to save battery. And not everyone is going to be streaming stuff off the net. So, it can be a cheap way of doing all the basic BB stuff.

If you're looking for more & still want a BB, I can recommend the Torch. Others here can probably give you some positive info on other models like the 9700, etc. I can vouch for the fact that the Torch is not "video ready" yet. It doesn't support all formats & what it does support could be better -- OK for watching news interviews, but you're not going to want to try watching Avatar on it. Streaming & onvboard music is great! And the Torch actually has a decent browser, unlike your 8520. If you really want video, then you might be best looking elsewhere.
    thanks for the advice and sorry about the double post thing my internet messed up and i accidently posted it twice rather than editing the first post
    09-12-10 10:13 AM
    or a "add contact" option after an new number calls you...?
    I'm pretty sure (even with your phone) if you go into your call log, scroll to the new number that called you, and hit menu, there should be an option to Add Contact. Maybe i'm wrong as i don't think i've ever used this particular phone, but that's how it's been done on all my other ones.
    09-12-10 05:28 PM
  21. T
    Works like that with my Curve. "Add to address book" or something like that.
    09-12-10 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD