That when new phones get released, from any company, they still have "bugs" and hardware or software issues? I mean these phones go through testing for months before they are released and still have issues when they are released. What's up with that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 09:26 PM
    Because humans are perfect.
    07-02-10 09:29 PM
    That when new phones get released, from any company, they still have "bugs" and hardware or software issues? I mean these phones go through testing for months before they are released and still have issues when they are released. What's up with that?

It's a little hard to explain, but seeing as I'm in an industry where we do the same kind of development I can give you a fairly accurate answer: It happens.

I don't think you appreciate the complexity of these devices or the software running on it. A typical beta test group is a very small fraction of the number of people who will actually be using it. Consequently not all problems can be found that way. It needs to get into the hands of a mass market before most problems manifest themselves.
    07-02-10 09:39 PM
    Its a $ thang,, as a consumer u wouldn't understand~

07-03-10 01:01 AM
    Two reasons for this: 1) human error. No matter how much testing or inspections or double checking the manufacturers and carriers do, something will fall through the cracks and be discovered after the phone's release. 2). Competition is the other reason because carriers and manufacturers want to get their phones out NOW before any one else or after a major nimrod loses a prototype in a bar. See IPhone4 news. Case and point.

07-03-10 11:43 AM

Good question, simple answer, because it next become's a dealer/carrier problem, you would think they wouldn't want the messy pr that goes along w/this, but all major companies do this. In all due seriousness it does them no good to have 200,000 buggy phone's in the warehouse.
    07-03-10 12:23 PM
    Most of the bugs tend to be software related. There are just not enough beta testers to possibly find every possible bug in new software. Compared to bugs in PC software, the number of bugs in phone software seems minute.
    07-03-10 12:46 PM
    i don't know if i believe the "human error" explanation. You're telling me that NO ONE noticed the browser link click issue and MMS issue on OS .591? C'mon..i think almost everyone with VZW .591 had the clicking issue

07-03-10 01:05 PM
    I dunno, ask Steve over at Apple.
    07-03-10 01:09 PM
    i don't know if i believe the "human error" explanation. You're telling me that NO ONE noticed the browser link click issue and MMS issue on OS .591? C'mon..i think almost everyone with VZW .591 had the clicking issue

You're talking interim release. Since this is not official then it happens.

When new betas are put out it is in response to other errors already found and fixed so the testers are told to test those more than anything. Here's a glimpse into the development cycle so you can all understand better.

You have a beta out there, problems trickle in. They are prioritized and sent to the relevant developers/departments.

Said developers/departments fix the problems and eventually the software is all merged back together into one single source pool. It is then compiled and most probably in this case put through an automated testing process until it is confirmed stable insofar as the test scripts can determine.

A testing department does a once over of the issues which were fixed and eventually gives the thumbs up to send out a beta.

Now, the testers are doing what's called a regression test at this point to go over every single feature which takes a very long time. At the same time the beta users are doing their own real world test.

Invariably though, fixing a problem can cause issues in other areas, it happens. No one person can look at millions of lines of code and know for certain what changing one function will do to the rest of it. Making one simple change can break half an application. I know, been there, still doing that.

I think they're doing a fine job and minor issues are always going to poke through, it's the nature of the beast.
    07-03-10 04:28 PM
    .591 was an official VZW OS. i only load official releases provided by my carrier. Are you saying it's still beta because it wasn't fully tested? i expect an OS that's pushed to my BlackBerry by VZW t be fully tested and free from bugs and glitches.

Official OS 4.7 from VZW had the reoccuring 552 errors, which were wide spread. The first official VZW OS 5 had the "Please return to place of purchase error", MMS error and browser click error. The patch fixed the "Place of purchase error" but not the other 2 bugs.

Reoccuring 552 errors and Please return to place of purchase are NOT minor errors. These bricked BlackBerry phones.

9630/5.0.0.732 VZW OS is good so far. i haven't noticed any bugs. There is an issue with the signal going from full bars to zero and dropping data. i'm thinking this is an OS bug but i have no proof or confirmation yet.

Honestly, i'm sticking with BlackBerry, but my standards have lowered since my first BlackBerry (8330). i'm content if an OS doesn't brick my BlackBerry. That isn't great, but i'm hopeful RIM and VZW get it together soon.

07-03-10 04:43 PM
    .591 was an official VZW OS. i only load official releases provided by my carrier. Are you saying it's still beta because it wasn't fully tested? i expect an OS that's pushed to my BlackBerry by VZW t be fully tested and free from bugs and glitches.

Official OS 4.7 from VZW had the reoccuring 552 errors, which were wide spread. The first official VZW OS 5 had the "Please return to place of purchase error", MMS error and browser click error. The patch fixed the "Place of purchase error" but not the other 2 bugs.

Reoccuring 552 errors and Please return to place of purchase are NOT minor errors. These bricked BlackBerry phones.

9630/5.0.0.732 VZW OS is good so far. i haven't noticed any bugs. There is an issue with the signal going from full bars to zero and dropping data. i'm thinking this s an OS bug but i have no proof or confirmation yet.

This all depends if the carrier tweaked the OS prior to release. I know carriers put their own custom junk in there unfortunately so chances are their idea of a release is truly a beta.

Also the errors could be specific to a very certain environment. For all the errors you mention I bet a lot never had them at all which complicates things. Or the flip side is the distribution range for the OS was not very wide to begin with which in that case is just bad strategy on their part.

But big things do get missed, it happens. And it's a lot easier than you realize.
    07-03-10 04:51 PM
    I have noticed the bars drop even on the new refurb Tour but I never loose service. Maybe wipe your phone and reinstall?
    07-03-10 11:53 PM
    Its not just phones its cars and everything else in general too. I just see it as public beta testing =)

07-04-10 01:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD