That can cost from 20$ - 80$ rather than opting for something like a used Bold 9900, 9700 or any other BB's from that era that can easily be found around the same price. Those BB's are clearly superior and can still do more than any dumb K9 phone made today, including the "fancy" ones like the new Nokia 3310.

Why? Just why?
    10-24-17 07:36 AM
    Why? Because they only need a phone?

Plus BIS is being shuttered around the world, which makes a BBOS device much harder to use properly.
    Last edited by conite; 10-24-17 at 09:18 AM.
    Laura Knotek and IndianTiwari like this.
    10-24-17 07:40 AM
    'Coz burner phones don't need to be fancy. 😀
    10-24-17 07:42 AM
    Maybe smart phones do more ....but can those provide that very satisfying feeling when the "dumb" phone is snapped shut to hang-up on someone? Nope. For that reason I do miss my Motorola Razr (which I still have).
    10-24-17 07:55 AM
    They are simple and meet their needs.... and the cost of operation are lower if you don't need data.

As for BBOS devices... they are hard to find these days, hard to find service for, and in fact hard to get setup. If someone was wanting cheap and simple, they can buy a brand new Android device that isn't bad for $50 and it works on standard networks and most anyone you know could help you with it.

But some people just want a phone.....
    Laura Knotek and skinnymike1 like this.
    10-24-17 08:22 AM
    Why do you care?
    cribble2k and skinnymike1 like this.
    10-24-17 11:12 AM
    Perhaps they don't want to give their information to Apple, Google, or BlackBerry.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-24-17 11:31 AM
    week long battery life maybe.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-24-17 12:55 PM
    Still, if you have 2 $20 bills in hand and walk into a store needing any phone. Why would you choose to walk out with a dumb phone over a Bold or Curve?
    10-24-17 02:45 PM
    Still, if you have 2 $20 bills in hand and walk into a store needing any phone. Why would you choose to walk out with a dumb phone over a Bold or Curve?
    Because brand new dumb phones will give you less headaches than pre-owned (and possibly defective) smartphones.
    Last edited by johnny_bravo72; 10-24-17 at 03:35 PM.
    10-24-17 03:05 PM
    Excellent point....but could BB even make a profit on a reissue of a stripped down old bb0s7 minus bis phone features at about $50-$100 for grandpa, grandma and the elementary school kids, on less powerful cpu's? Clearly the texting advantage is enormous, and maybe the voice dictation and the accessibility features. Walmart would probably jump at selling these. Sup-par android phones create huge dissatisfaction for purchasers, because they think they are getting a full fledged android with the ability to load a zillion apps -which they can't. I just played around with a knockoff smartwatch and it was basically a throwback old feature phone pretending to be a smartphone...and they had the gall to include and onscreen k-9 keyboard - which would be torture to try to use.
    power1979 likes this.
    10-24-17 03:07 PM
    What I'm saying is these days BB7 (and some BB10 devices) can be found for dirt cheap on local craigslist, so it really makes no sense in 2017 to use a dummy phone when these BB tanks are still going strong.
    10-24-17 03:16 PM
    In short, a person needs a basic phone for mostly phone calls and maybe some light texting, and wants to spend under $40. Why not walk out with something that used to be a flagship of communication which will very well handle calls, sms, some e-mail, and maybe some light (and buggy) web browsing as a plus. And they get very good battery life. The choice seems so obvious to me.
    10-24-17 03:19 PM
    In short, a person needs a basic phone for mostly phone calls and maybe some light texting, and wants to spend under $40. Why not walk out with something that used to be a flagship of communication which will very well handle calls, sms, some e-mail, and maybe some light (and buggy) web browsing as a plus. And they get very good battery life. The choice seems so obvious to me.
    A) you won't use those other things
    B) you don't want to buy an ancient used device
    C) you don't want a data plan - BIS no less
    D) you want a more appropriate form factor for use as a plain phone
    E) you want a warranty
    F) you want a phone that people can actually service or tech support if needed

I can probably keep going.
    Gajja and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-24-17 03:28 PM
    You want a SIMPLE phone with BIG text and BIG buttons because you aren't comfortable with more advanced technology or you have poor eyesight or motor control.

There are a lot of people over 60 who carry feature phones and have no desire for anything else.
    Gajja likes this.
    10-24-17 09:41 PM
    You want a SIMPLE phone with BIG text and BIG buttons because you aren't comfortable with more advanced technology or you have poor eyesight or motor control.

There are a lot of people over 60 who carry feature phones and have no desire for anything else.
    This. My dad has no use for anything other than his flip phone. Anything else would be overkill and too confusing for him.
    Gajja likes this.
    10-24-17 10:59 PM
    - They don't want to be distracted by a smartphone, even an "old flagship" .

- They place more importance on other things. Like cultivating relationships and sharing experiences with people in the real world.

- They don't want to make payments on a phone.

- They don't want to pay the equivalent of a month's rent or more for a phone.

- They only want a plan with calls and texts, not data.

- They want battery life measured in days, not hours.

- They want a phone that is easily replaceable if it is broken, lost, or stolen.

- They like basic phones.

- They have different requirements and preferences than you.
    10-25-17 07:37 AM
    Why? Because they only need a phone?

Plus BIS is being shuttered around the world, which makes a BBOS device much harder to use properly.
    I've long wondered why BB decided to abandon BBOS and SAF so long as there were still millions of people using it. Last quarter they still made $34 million from SAF, but a year previous they made over $90 million. This dwarfs the modest increase in enterprise sales. They don't seem to care about losing tens of millions of dollars because they did nothing to try and stop the decline.
    10-25-17 09:02 AM
    I've long wondered why BB decided to abandon BBOS and SAF so long as there were still millions of people using it. Last quarter they still made $34 million from SAF, but a year previous they made over $90 million. This dwarfs the modest increase in enterprise sales. They don't seem to care about losing tens of millions of dollars because they did nothing to try and stop the decline.
    Because it was an obsolete technology, carriers didn't want it anymore, and users were leaving in droves.
    10-25-17 09:08 AM
    Because it was an obsolete technology, carriers didn't want it anymore, and users were leaving in droves.
    Money is money, who cares what they want, and how many of those would stay if they still had the option to get a replacement BBOS device?

It's shocking that the company had no plan to try and stop the lose of tens of millions of dollars from SAF revenue. Appalling. But what do I know, compared to His High Holiness (PBUH)? A couple million dollars on some sales of acquired technology to government will be more than sufficient to make up for all the lost revenue.
    10-25-17 09:11 AM
    Money is money, who cares what they want, and how many of those would stay if they still had the option to get a replacement BBOS device?

It's shocking that the company had no plan to try and stop the lose of tens of millions of dollars from SAF revenue. Appalling. But what do I know, compared to His High Holiness (PBUH)? A couple million dollars on some sales of acquired technology to government will be more than sufficient to make up for all the lost revenue.
    It was doomed anyway. They had to try something else. Should have been Android instead of BB10 though.
    power1979 likes this.
    10-25-17 09:12 AM

Perhaps you should understand something before discussing.

The carriers don't want to offer BIS since part of their revenue goes to BlackBerry instead staying with the carrier 100%.

Additionally, while getting less revenue, the carriers have to support BIS with their own staff and customers perceive any problems with BIS as problems with carrier instead of BlackBerry.

Therefore carriers keep all the revenue and control their customer experience, good or bad, when they discontinue the BIS platform. BlackBerry would love for everyone to stay on BIS. They never wanted anyone to evolve past BBOS. With every BB10 device, they lost SAF with no way to replace it.

It's never been a decision for BlackBerry to decide. They would love to extend BIS SAF into the next decade.
    10-25-17 09:21 AM
    Sure, but not every carrier is going to turn down potential customers just because they have a BBOS device. Any idea on when BIS will be shut down completely?
    10-25-17 09:27 AM
    Sure, but not every carrier is going to turn down potential customers just because they have a BBOS device. Any idea on when BIS will be shut down completely?
    Sure, when they're losing more than making providing service. As users choose to leave, the remaining users cost more to support per device. It's just profit and loss, the American way.
    10-25-17 09:30 AM
    But what do I know, compared to His High Holiness (PBUH)?
    This type of sarcastic rhetorical hyperbole only undermines everything you say, especially when your comprehension of the underlying issues is lacking.
    10-25-17 10:06 AM
37 12