Y'all brought good points, to be honest. And I'm not arguing with that.

My point was why people have to rely on HOW MANY apps there are in the store on each platform?
    Most people with any sense do not look at the number of apps any given store as a bellweather for a variety of reasons i.e. usefulness, overlap, etc... Where the app situation DOES become a problem is when some really good or useful apps are not present for BlackBerry and the developer makes it clear that presently they have no interest in doing so.

The annoyance varies depending on the app and the user though. In my case I simply could not care less about Instagram but, I am not happy that Epocrates and MedScape have no intentions to develop for BB10 (this misses a HUGE segment of users and pushes them to other platforms). Or that there is not one single decent shift calendar. Or..... You see where I'm going?

We all have different needs / wants from our devices,you just have to get past the shrieking about this game. or that social networking app.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-08-13 07:53 AM
    Everyone talks about how BlackBerry is a business phone. Fast and efficient. Using a browser means that it isn't fast nor efficient. Therefore their business model fails, as it already has.

It's a proven fact that we lost people because of apps. BlackBerry world doesn't have the size or quality of google's app store.

And on an added note. BlackBerry world has got to be the worst implementation of an app store I have ever seen. So much for an efficient business phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Michael Stewart; 10-08-13 at 08:06 AM.
    10-08-13 07:54 AM
    OP,
    This is a question to which even BlackBerry gave the wrong answer.
    You have a point a about the browser. I always use the bb10 browser for Facebook and YouTube. But I always use the CB10 app to get in crackberry. So it's a question of preference.
    I like to use the CB 10 app but am completely fine with Facebook on browser, but maybe others like to use an App for YouTube too.
    You or I can't make them align themselves to our choices.
    I'm sure some folks might use crackberry in the browser too and they may turn around and ask me why in use the CB10 app.. answer : I just do. I prefer it this way.
    Same answer applies to your question. People use apps because they prefer it.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:57 AM
    Android is about freedom. Choose the keyboard you want to use and the way that works best for you. The rich app environment also creates innovation. Without competition from Swiftkey and Swype, the AOSP Android keyboard would be no where near as good as it is now.

Your quality over quantity argument is invalidated by the fact that the Apps on BB World not only lack quantity, it also lags in quality. So by any measure it loses.
    21stNow, helio9965 and Saiga like this.
    10-08-13 08:04 AM
    Another thing that annoys me about the way BBRY does things, is again they live in a bubble.

When the iphone launched, the overwhelming majority of smartphone users were business people, who didn't rely on apps etc. However the landscape has COMPLETELY changed. 12 year olds have smartphones, anyone who has bought a phone in the last 7 years very likely bought a smartphone. yet BBRY to this day hasn't adapted. They continue to push "the corporate phone" which may or may not even exist anymore.

BBRY screwed the pooch a long time ago when they decided that iphone was no threat, then android was no threat. As long as we had out brickbreaker we will be fine. People want phones with keyboards...right?

Its frustrating to me as someone who supported blackberry. And frankly just as an outsider looking in.

Imagine Ford or GM or Toyota dominating the market and then refusing to put out fuel efficient cars. Times change, and so should businesses. Follow the money blackberry.
    10-08-13 08:11 AM
    Because no phone on the market can do everything I need it to do completely stock.

Android is the closest.
    21stNow likes this.
    10-08-13 08:14 AM
    if the die hard " I don't need apps" people don't need apps then don't install them! Why insist everyone else is stupid for wanting them? Just don't use them yourself! Don't begrudge others because they want something different than you!

I use Evernote religiously, can't do that from the web. I read books on my devices, really don't want to do that from a website, do you? I travel frequently, I want notifications on my phone concerning gate changes...need an app for that.

Different people have different needs and wants. You can't send out just a cookie cutter phone and say it's perfect for every single person. BB has got to stop telling people what they need and start listening to what they want.
    10-08-13 08:37 AM
    Why do people need that many apps and see the number of apps on a platform as a indicator to tell whether it is a successful ecosystem?

Why do I need a youtube app when I can use my browser to surf it on web perfectly?

Why do I need a Yelp app when my browser functions its website completely fine?

It's already been noted many times that a native app is typically contains many more features than a simple mobile website. Also, native app performance is typically around 5X faster than HTML5 performance. Why do people want apps? They're better and they're faster. Do you need another reason?
    stoneland, helio9965 and LeeU1911 like this.
    10-08-13 08:38 AM

My point was why people have to rely on HOW MANY apps there are in the store on each platform?

If you search Google play store you'll see a tons of email client apps and keyboard apps whereas BB doesn't need those..
    It's about having options. Not everyone will want or need a particular app, but chances are there are people that might. Better that it be there and you not use it, that it not be there at all.
    pantlesspenguin and Barljo like this.
    10-08-13 08:47 AM
    People don't really NEED apps, but they want a large number to make it seem like the device choice they made was the right one. I always hear Apple and Android users arguing about who has more apps. It has become simple **** measuring at this point, just like screen resolution.
    10-08-13 09:01 AM
    You know this question is brought up all the time. I used to be one of you who said apps aren't what makes a phone etc etc.

But the apps are at the heart of what people want. In most cases the only people who don't care about apps, are these "power users" who want their phone to be a communication tool. Which is fine, but smartphones go above any beyond that.

If anything blackberrys situation is directly related to the way the OP thinks.

Hey blackberry, stop living in a bubble, there is a big world outside of the corporate one so you may want to see what the average everyday user is wanting and needing.
    A communication tool. YOu guys sound like old people. Yes a phone started off as a communication tool, but right now it is simply an all round tool.

I use my phone for emailing, texting, chatting, surfing, reading my RSS, banking, shopping, making travel arrangements, watching Netflix, playing games, translating. It is an exceptional tool for me in the lab for preparing solutions, it�s a fantastic scanner, great all round camera, sweet music player, great assistant, keeps my agenda and reminders (and I can talk to it. LOL), buy movie tickets with my local cinema�s app, read comics on Comixology, and of course a great navigator since I don�t own another GPS mapping device. And the list probably goes on.

Smartphones use differs from person to person, and most people use them for more than just a communicating device. For the majority of activities to be done efficiently, a quality app is usually the best bet.

For me, I could care less who has the most apps, I care about who has the apps I want, and especially with the quality I want it.
    10-08-13 09:17 AM
    People don't really NEED apps, but they want a large number to make it seem like the device choice they made was the right one. I always hear Apple and Android users arguing about who has more apps. It has become simple **** measuring at this point, just like screen resolution.

I don't actually need a phone either. But apps let me be much more productive. In my experience an iPhone or Android is a smartphone, a mobile computer. A BB is closer to a flip phone with a good email client and browser in my experience and opinion. It isn't 2007. Most of us have moved on to mobile computing. Not email on our phones.
    21stNow and helio9965 like this.
    10-08-13 09:27 AM
    A communication tool. YOu guys sound like old people. Yes a phone started off as a communication tool, but right now it is simply an all round tool.

I use my phone for emailing, texting, chatting, surfing, reading my RSS, banking, shopping, making travel arrangements, watching Netflix, playing games, translating. It is an exceptional tool for me in the lab for preparing solutions, it�s a fantastic scanner, great all round camera, sweet music player, great assistant, keeps my agenda and reminders (and I can talk to it. LOL), buy movie tickets with my local cinema�s app, read comics on Comixology, and of course a great navigator since I don�t own another GPS mapping device. And the list probably goes on.

Smartphones use differs from person to person, and most people use them for more than just a communicating device. For the majority of activities to be done efficiently, a quality app is usually the best bet.

For me, I could care less who has the most apps, I care about who has the apps I want, and especially with the quality I want it.
    Note: I am not disagreeing with anything you have said.

Some people want a hammer to be a hammer and that's it. Not everyone wants a multi-tool.

Personally I think most people don't need a smart phone and smart phones just took the place of feature phones.
    Last edited by undone; 10-08-13 at 12:18 PM.
    10-08-13 09:27 AM
    Note: I am not disagreeing with anything you have said.

Some people want a hammer to be a hammer and that's it. Not everyone what's a multi-tool.

Personally I think most people don't need a smart phone and smart phones just took the place of feature phones.
    Well in some way you are correct. If all you need is email and web browsing then satisfying your needs can be achieved easily. But even people who don�t use their smartphone for a great deal, usually use it for email, browsing, music, camera, facebook, instagram, and chatting. These people are usually the ones that follow app trends, and need a phone that gets the latest trendy app quickest.

Needless to say, saying that most people don�t need a smartphone is like when people used to say most people don�t need a PC in their home. I actually remember those days.

Most people don�t need most things, nevertheless it�s great to have them, and the option to encounter its usefulnes should the opportunity arise.
    10-08-13 09:36 AM
    I hear Apple and Google throw out app numbers in their keynotes. For them it's become like a line item in a spec sheet. But I rarely come across actual users who argue over the number because it's quite clear who has the most.
    raysgrumpy likes this.
    10-08-13 09:36 AM
    Apps were introduce to offer something that is not part of your phone that you want to have whether for a purpose or just for entertainment.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 09:39 AM
    I need my bank app. It tells me as soon as anyone uses one of my accounts. It works and helped me once in preventing fraud. I need my home security app. It warns me when my furnace goes out while on vacation. The first one is on BB10 but the second one is not.
    10-08-13 09:50 AM
    And don't forget. The iPhone started with only a few built in apps. Jobs wanted everyone to use HTML too. He bowed to the pressure and the app store was created. BB has never come to that realization.
    10-08-13 09:54 AM

If you search Google play store you'll see a tons of email client apps and keyboard apps whereas BB doesn't need those..
    This is your opinion. What is so hard to understand that some people prefer to have choices? If a person has $200 to spend on a phone, why pick one that has one option for keyboards when another one has 10 options for keyboards for the same price? And don't respond with an opinion of one being the best because the holder of the $200 may not share your opinion.
    10-08-13 10:13 AM
    People don't need apps. People want apps. Smartphones are discretionary purchases; companies have to actually work harder to give the customers what they want in this situation. Apps play an important part in this because apps can enhance the usability of a phone by making things easier to execute or boosting the functionality of the existing hardware.

There is another side to this that I don't see mentioned that often here. Why do businesses consider apps important? Most businesses that have the money to put behind it would rather have you use their app versus the mobile browser. If you search on the internet for Best Buy, you will get ads for HH Gregg, as well. If you use the mobile app for Best Buy, you won't see ads from the competition in the app. As more businesses realize how mobile phone use, mobile ads and even app icon presence influence customer decisions, app development not only happens, but the app functionality will improve. This will drive the customers to prefer the app over the mobile website. This also builds stickiness with customers, which is important in competitive industries.
    Tre Lawrence and Drew808 like this.
    10-08-13 10:29 AM
    Why do people need that many apps and see the number of apps on a platform as a indicator to tell whether it is a successful ecosystem?

Why do I need a youtube app when I can use my browser to surf it on web perfectly?

Why do I need a Yelp app when my browser functions its website completely fine?

Why do I ever need another email client on my blackberry nor ~150.000 of email clients/applications in BlackBerry World when my blackberry email client works so well already?

Why do I ever need ~ 1.000.000 keyboard apps in BlackBerry World when my blackberry keyboard is so awesome?

(Search google play store please. I already put numbers far less than the real ones)

The number of apps comparison is just ridiculously funny.
    There is a part of me that wants to suggest no one should even respond to this forum...at this stage, it is inconceivable that this topic is still a topic. What is it you are not getting? I did not choose an iphone because of the number of apps; I chose it because it provided the business and professional apps I needed and WANTED. My q10 cannot compete. If all I wanted was a "communication tool," I would just charge up my old "Hello Kitty" phone which took clear calls; surfed the net in lightening speeds and downloaded my email. With your viewpoint (I don't need it so no-one else should either), smartphones aren't needed. Apps make a smartphone smart! BlackBerry is falling apart, and comments like these are still being made...it truly boggles the mind.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 10:52 AM
    why would people buy a phone so they can play games and watch movies boggles the mind .... seriously
    Yeah thats silly, but what's sillier is buying a phone that doesn't have an app for my bank (bank of america)
    bbq10l likes this.
    10-08-13 10:54 AM
    For me, the question isn't "why do I need them", its more "why wouldn't you use them?".

AutoCAD, Photoshop, iMovie (and others), for some people these are frivolous toys, to others they're essential parts of their workflow and if they're available on a Phone and Tablet platform you'd be a fool not to utilize them.

Before they existed we didn't need them, now that they exist it makes sense to utilize them.

I don't touch a PC at home anymore, my Mac sits there as an iTunes server where my iPhone & iPad have replaced the PC entirely for me, due solely to Apps. It's a post PC world, OP, get used to it.
    bbq10l likes this.
    10-08-13 11:04 AM
    For some people, it's about a specific app that they can't get on BB that they can get on iOS or Android. I haven't come across any productivity/utility app that is exclusive to iOS or Android...but I am sure someone does.

Catch 22. We won't make apps with no usable user base, but users won't buy something with no apps. Who wins? Not BB as proven by their fading away...
    Hmm......why do we need apps? What is the purpose of a smartphone?

A smartphone should be able to limit the amount of devices you drag out of your house everyday. Yes 6 or 7 years ago, it wasn't unusual to have to drag a camera, an MP3 player, your laptop, and possibly a second phone with you to do all you had to do. But that's why technology evolves: for convenience. Sure, you can use your browser for a lot of things, but everything won't work in the browser. Flat out. And if you really want to split hairs, most apps get jobs done faster than the browser. I don't have to load the page, zoom in, type in log in, repeat the load and zoom for the next page, and so on and so forth.

I also think it's really crazy that this forum isn't asking "Why are apps lacking for BB10?" I think I topic like this should never be uttered.
104 1234 ...