I have seen time and time again Sales Reps choose devices NOT fitting the customer needs, A customer comes in and says "HEY I need a phone that is email reliable, I work day and night emailing and need to make sure I have my email" Now we can all agree (I hope)no one handles email like a Berry, yes other devices have email but hands down if you are looking for a phone that u will mainly use JUST for email Blackberry is still the number 1 choice, So why would a rep not even mention Blackberry as an option? I have even seen customers come into stores telling the reps "why did you tell me to get rid of my BlackBerry and how I would not regret it". I have seen this in ALL stores Verizon,T-mobile, Sprint, ATT and most of all Best Buy. BlackBerry is failing because reps refuse to sell the device. BlackBerry has its issues but the nail in the coffin will b the reps themselves. I have worked inside all stores and this happens several times a day and we are now starting to c customers themselves tell their stories. I hope RIM takes note. They need the Carrier reps on their side to succeed, Have you seen what Nokia has done? They gave the new Lumia 900 to ALL Employees and in return they SOLD the device.
    04-20-12 01:07 AM
    Well most people will say that its easier to sell iPhone and Android and sales rep are biased, however the single biggest reason for any sales person to push something is basically higher commission or incentives on that product.

If the argument is made here that its easier to close a deal on Android or iPhone, then that would hold true for a customer who walks in asking for "A" smartphone. But if a customer walks in asking for a Blackberry, then the deal is already closed, its just a question of handing the device over and matching competitor's pricing. But from the posts I see here, most reps actively dissuade the customer from buying a BB then it goes to follow that the reps have some incentive to not sell a BB. Maybe higher commission from the carriers themselves. The carrier might be giving the sales rep a higher percentage for Android sales. Hence to make money the sales rep would want to sell an Android.

This can be seen in India, we do not have carrier stores in India as no one buy from carriers. I have never seen a mobile phone seller try to steer someone from on product to another. If a person walks in asking for a BB, the sales guy sells him a BB. Its only when a person walks in asking for a recommendation, that the sales guy offers him the phone where he gets the highest incentive.

Also in India, the phone stockists were getting a high incentive on BB sales, which made them push BB over others. Apple gives the least incentive and margin to the shops and that is visible in their sales figures in India.

So its the money, not personal enmity .
    daveycrocket and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-20-12 04:22 AM
    of course its the money ..its always the money.
    04-20-12 04:25 AM
    +1 wuulfy. Like sales people don't have the word "sales" in their job description?
    04-20-12 07:36 AM
    I've been in this business 3 years and my sales tactic has always been asking qualifying questions to customers. I've always treated a customer as if I'm selling a phone to my family member, I ask them what they want their device to do for them and I put them in the phone that best fits them. I've never gone straight to the phones that are "easiest to sell" or have the "highest gross profit", I sell phones that are going to help my customers in their daily productivity and its gotten me to my goals every month I've been in this business with no issues.
    Jonathank, robluck82 and russnash like this.
    04-20-12 07:46 AM
    i think some of the reps should listen to joe girard. he's the best salesman in the world and his #1 advice is: listen to your customer!

Joe Girard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    04-20-12 07:51 AM
    Guys how can it be the "money" When Apple gives almost NOTHING to the carriers, The carriers if I'm not mistaken make very little off Apple products. I would say you usually sell what u own
    04-20-12 08:04 AM
    of course its the money ..its always the money.
    You would b surprised to learn that sales associates make very lil of apple products.
    04-20-12 08:06 AM
    Guys how can it be the "money" When Apple gives almost NOTHING to the carriers, The carriers if I'm not mistaken make very little off Apple products. I would say you usually sell what u own
    That's absolutely correct. Gross profit is extremely low on the iphone, what makes it go up is the accessories you sell with it.
    04-20-12 08:14 AM
    I think the sales people usually make there biggest commission on accessories(cases, docks, etc) all of the Verizon stores I have been to have tons of accessory options for the iphone and several options for android devices. About the only accessory option I have seen for a BB is a silicone case, if that. So it would make sense that the sales person would push the customer in the direction of the biggest sales ticket at time of purchase including the phone and all the accessories that they need.if they sell the Berry the ticket I would think is going to be much lower, hence there commission much lower.
    04-20-12 08:23 AM
    IPhones can do more, and androids can do more than iPhone. So, because these phones are more capable they are easier to sell. Blackberry is good for the individual that prefers a system that is less capable, but much simpler and because there is less going on everything runs much smoother.

Go Bucs!
    04-20-12 08:32 AM
    IPhones can do more, and androids can do more than iPhone. So, because these phones are more capable they are easier to sell. Blackberry is good for the individual that prefers a system that is less capable, but much simpler and because there is less going on everything runs much smoother.

Go Bucs!
    Stupidest statement I ever read.
    04-20-12 08:42 AM
    They may make less on an iPhone but they are easier to sell and will beef up their monthly numbers and sometimes their jobs depend on those numbers. Not saying it's right but maybe a reality.
    04-20-12 08:43 AM
    I'm not talking about what Apple gives to carriers, but what carriers give to their own store employees. The store employees to get incentive from their own employers. The carriers would rather sell data hogs than BB. They will make more money on iPhones and Android over the term of the contract. And they give incentives to their sales staff.

Also the iPhone sells itself due to the superior eco system and just the aura which is around recent apple products. And.thenfact that the iPhone is a looker helps too. It is seen as an object of desire by many. So they can sell at low incentives.
    04-20-12 08:47 AM
    I'm not talking about what Apple gives to carriers, but what carriers give to their own store employees. The store employees to get incentive from their own employers. The carriers would rather sell data hogs than BB. They will make more money on iPhones and Android over the term of the contract. And they give incentives to their sales staff.
    Friend of mine is a Verizon rep. According to her, Verizon gives incentives to their employess who sell the most and it doesn't matter if it's Android, Apple or BB. She's actually one of those rare breeds who listens to what the customer wants and at least here, most customers want Apple or Android.
    04-20-12 09:08 AM
    When it's based on pure volume sold rather than targets connected with any particular phone, most reps will decide to sell the device which is least likely to result in the consumer bringing it back.
    04-20-12 09:18 AM

Go Bucs!
    Stupidest statement I ever read.
    Agreed. You've got your facts twisted here buddy. Iphone does much less than BB's do, but the UI is simpler to navigate through. That's why people like it, because its simple and easy.

Which gives you a good light on what the average consumer in society is all about these days.. The "simple and easy" route.. Its sad really.
    04-20-12 09:58 AM
    Agreed. You've got your facts twisted here buddy. Iphone does much less than BB's do, but the UI is simpler to navigate through. That's why people like it, because its simple and easy.

Which gives you a good light on what the average consumer in society is all about these days.. The "simple and easy" route.. Its sad really.
    Here we go....
    04-20-12 10:06 AM
    Friend of mine is a Verizon rep. According to her, Verizon gives incentives to their employess who sell the most and it doesn't matter if it's Android, Apple or BB. She's actually one of those rare breeds who listens to what the customer wants and at least here, most customers want Apple or Android.
    That's exactly how I consider myself as far as my sales tactics. I got a warm comment yesterday when explaining a scenario that I experienced with a customer here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...estion-717884/

It just goes to show that there are a few honest reps out there who are in fact, truly concerned with the needs of their customers.
    Last edited by yogii757; 04-20-12 at 10:11 AM.
    04-20-12 10:08 AM
    I worked for The Source selling Bell phones for a little over a year and hearing all these stories about Reps not selling proper phones makes me sick to my stomach. My situation was very different as up here as we had/have only about 4 models of phones to sell people but i still believe in the principal of choice.

To be a good "sales" rep you first need to be a good "customer" rep. Yes i know a lot of people can aruge this and how they can not care about their customer at all and yet sell them something. but to sell them something that they will enjoy and need you need to listen to them and think of their needs.

Ive only ever used a BB, never even touched an Android or iPhone before so i cant say anything on their abilities but i know if someone is looking for something to keep in touch, something that is simple to use, something that is very layered(BBM connected for example) then a BlackBerry is definitely a great choice.
    04-20-12 10:44 AM
    Here we go....
    ??
    Is it not true? Isn't that what attracts people to the iPhone? In my experience that's what it is, customers who come in and say "my daughter/son/friend/whoever told me the iphone is the easiest to use"
    I mean any good sales reps rebudle would be "while it does have some features that are easy to use, it may not suit your exact needs. What is it that you want your phone to do for you?"
    But people are so stuck on that one tiny factor of the iphone that it commits them to it without even wanting to know about other platforms, and in my eyes that truly is sad. I feel like the consumer base is becoming/has become, more closed minded than ever. The transition to get people off their basic feature phones, to a smartphone was a hard enough field to overcome. And its not that my faith isn't in RIM, cause everyone who knows me knows I'm not in the least a fan of other platforms, its that my faith is lost in consumer's willingness to try something other than what they hear from the worst possible sources is "the best thing out". Companies are using the ignorance of these consumers to their advantage, its not right.
    04-20-12 11:10 AM
    ??
    Is it not true? Isn't that what attracts people to the iPhone? In my experience that's what it is, customers who come in and say "my daughter/son/friend/whoever told me the iphone is the easiest to use"
    I mean any good sales reps rebudle would be "while it does have some features that are easy to use, it may not suit your exact needs. What is it that you want your phone to do for you?"
    But people are so stuck on that one tiny factor of the iphone that it commits them to it without even wanting to know about other platforms, and in my eyes that truly is sad. I feel like the consumer base is becoming/has become, more closed minded than ever. The transition to get people off their basic feature phones, to a smartphone was a hard enough field to overcome. And its not that my faith isn't in RIM, cause everyone who knows me knows I'm not in the least a fan of other platforms, its that my faith is lost in consumer's willingness to try something other than what they hear from the worst possible sources is "the best thing out". Companies are using the ignorance of these consumers to their advantage, its not right.

The iPhone is appealing because of it's apps, ecosystem, screen, camera, web browser, Apple support, and most importantly, ease of use. No shrinking OS's, installing hybrids or leaks, batter pulls, etc. "It just works"
    04-20-12 11:43 AM
    ??
    I do not think "easiest to use" is much of a selling point any longer. I really do believe it comes down to apps. I went to a meeting last night of the Akron Linux User Group. When we arrived, all of us set our phones on the table. Someone noticed mine, and immediately knew what it was, since I have the cyan color, which looks completely different from any other brands.

The first question I got was "Does it have Angry Birds?" I have installed the trial version of Angry Birds, but have not played it yet. That was not the reason I bought the device, but that seems to be the main draw for consumers.
    04-20-12 11:44 AM
    I do not think "easiest to use" is much of a selling point any longer. I really do believe it comes down to apps. I went to a meeting last night of the Akron Linux User Group. When we arrived, all of us set our phones on the table. Someone noticed mine, and immediately knew what it was, since I have the cyan color, which looks completely different from any other brands.

The first question I got was "Does it have Angry Birds?" I have installed the trial version of Angry Birds, but have not played it yet. That was not the reason I bought the device, but that seems to be the main draw for consumers.
    To the age group of 15-25, yeah the "app factor" is a big deal. But in the market that I'm in most of the iPhone's I've sold are to users coming off of feature phones and going to a first time smart phone. That's where those references come from as far as ease of use goes.
    04-20-12 11:57 AM
    They choose not to recommend Blackberries because the average consumer isn't looking for a blackberry or what it offers. The only people I know who own Blackberries apart from me are people waiting for their contract to expire or those who were given them for work. The average person couldn't care less about reliable email, security, or bbm (when none of their friends have blackberries).

The average consumer wants their phone to communicate, play their media, play games, and have a wide selection of good apps to help them with everyday life. They also just want their phone to work without having to put in effort. No fiddling with OS's or battery pulls. The current blackberries lack these smartphone basics. Sure, they communicate wonderfully but they aren't able to compete with every other category. There's a reason BB7 phones aren't selling all that well. Hopefully with BB10 RIM can solve the current problems with their ecosystem, because otherwise I don't think a major comeback for RIM is possible.

Oh, and there's the fact that there's a bunch of negative stigma towards Blackberries because of their quality control issues and glitchy software. That's always the first reason I hear from people when they tell me why they moved to a different platform. Second would probably be slow performance or apps.

I love my new Bold 9900 but it's not hard to see why carrier reps aren't pushing them.
    Last edited by Yaceka; 04-20-12 at 12:05 PM.
    04-20-12 12:01 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD