I don't understand... I can connect to the internet from anywhere without wi-fi, so what's the advantage of having it on my smartphone? I have the Sprint Everything plan, so I'm already getting unlimited usage for a flat fee. What am I not comprehending?
    12-17-09 11:18 AM
    Not everyone has an unlimited plan. Which is why I use wifi whenever i can.
    12-17-09 11:21 AM
    Okay... I get that. Is that the only reason?
    12-17-09 11:22 AM
    One of the main advantages of having Wi-Fi on my Berry is the speed!.. UMA for those enrolled (T-Mobile).... That's pretty much it.
    12-17-09 11:24 AM
    Not everybody lives/works in a high grade cell signal area, particularly indoors and remote locations.

I depend on Wifi and UMA to give me full service, despite the fact my carrier can barely raise a single bar.

Others find the increased bandwidth, typicaly 48 Mbps, to be a benifit when downloading attachments or viewing 'net content.
    12-17-09 11:25 AM
    I don't really need wifi either because I have unlimited data but it would be nice to have as a backup in case my carrier experiences coverage problems.

Plus wifi (in general) is faster, at least in my area. Jackson, MS.
    12-17-09 12:00 PM
    Well i am deployed in afghanistan as a contractor, and wifi / UMA allows me to use my blackberry over here as if i was standing in the states to keep in contact with my family. Works perfect just like i am connected to a cell tower.
    12-17-09 12:05 PM
    In spite of having an unlimited data plan I continue to use WiFi when available for the speed. 3G in my neighborhood cannot match the speed, stability, and convenience of WiFi.
    12-17-09 12:17 PM
    LOL.... FTW!
    12-17-09 12:23 PM
    One plus for WiFi is the independency of the carrier network. In other words you can fairly easily turn a (GSM) BlackBerry into a PDA and not pay for anything. Many Twitter clients have WiFi support built-in for those looking for a dedicated Twitter device (Peek, you hear me?)
    12-17-09 12:44 PM
    Speed as was said, and the ability to run voice and data at the same time. Which is not possible on CDMA carriers.
    12-17-09 01:02 PM
    Not everyone has an unlimited plan. Which is why I use wifi whenever i can.
    For all intents and purposes isn't BIS essentially unlimited? I know there are data usage limits but nobody ever comes close do they?
    12-17-09 01:35 PM
    For all intents and purposes isn't BIS essentially unlimited? I know there are data usage limits but nobody ever comes close do they?
    Plans can very widely in regards to included data amounts, from 10s of MB to 100s of MB to GB.
    12-17-09 01:56 PM
    I use mine for the increased speed.
    12-17-09 02:00 PM
    I live in a tiny village in the UK, no way can I have 3g, but wifi is invaluable. I live off it. I too have unlimited plan, but as I say no 3g. So am grateful for wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 02:41 PM
    i just got a new phone because i wanted one with wif.i have decent edge and 3g coverage most places.i usually have decent carrier signal outside work etc ..but when i am home in my apt minimal signal 1-2 bars only.so when i needed to download info it was soo slow.now b/w 3g and wifi its awesome .my speeds are great .i am loving my 9700.i too have unlimited data.i wish my phone had uma.but att doesnot support it .
    12-17-09 03:56 PM
    I, too, had always wondered why anyone that had an unlimited data plan needed wi-fi on their phone. I used to be a Sidekick user, & after the Great Sidekick Outage I totally understand the need for it when a carrier is experiencing outages. I would've LOVED to have wi-fi on my Sidekick for the 4 days I was completely w/o data service. Since getting my BB I've experimented a bit w/ wi-fi @ home, & it is just a bit faster than my 3G signal. However, I usually forget I have the wi-fi option so it rarely gets used.
    12-17-09 04:13 PM
    I could see Wi-fi being of value when overseas.
    12-17-09 04:34 PM
    - Some airlines now have wifi access during flights.
    - Some apps (like PrimeTime2Go) work over wifi only.
    - IM+ for Skype (beta) does VOIP over wifi. VOIP will be wifi only.
    - CDMA users should be able to use voice and data simultaneously.
    - GSM customers should be able to do the same when on EDGE (Non 3G areas).
    - If you're on T-Mo or Rogers, you get UMA phone service.
    - Apps like the Slingbox Player might work better over a steady wifi connection.
    - Users with smaller data plans can reduce their wireless data usage.
    12-17-09 04:49 PM
    the wi-fi is extremely useful when surfing the internet off your phone.
    12-17-09 05:12 PM
    Wow- what informative and helpful responses! I understand now.

Someone please explain this to me:
    the ability to run voice and data at the same time
    12-18-09 07:53 AM
    Allows me to talk on the phone while in my basement n use data during a call

12-18-09 08:54 AM
    On the business side of things, it's a great help when your on a biz call and your partner sent you a file for viewing, put the speaker on, download file and make your changes. Consumer side is basically the same, your able to talk, surf, get email or use any app that requires data usage.

Hope this helps.....
    12-18-09 09:03 AM
    I don't understand... I can connect to the internet from anywhere without wi-fi, so what's the advantage of having it on my smartphone? I have the Sprint Everything plan, so I'm already getting unlimited usage for a flat fee. What am I not comprehending?
    having an unlimited plan sort of makes the WiFI redundant.
    12-18-09 09:08 AM
    Allows me to talk on the phone while in my basement n use data during a call

wow you are one busy man haha

12-18-09 09:23 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD