Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I have resigned myself to the fact that restoring my Q10 will be a bi-annual event (I'm not particularly pleased about it but short of losing my actual qwerty key pad - I abhor my android tablet's software keyboard, but swift key makes it tolerable - I figure it's the lesser of 2 evils, but I digress...)

When I carry out the actual restore it's quite painless, (Link for all of it's many many many faults is still good for running complete back-ups) it's the reformatting and then reloading of all the data back onto the micro SD card which can take almost a day that does my head in. Even if the handset PIN is the same (read: the exact same handset).

Now I have found that turning of the encryption setting, reformatting the card in the handset then using my laptop's in-built SD card reader speeds up the process a bit, but surely restoring a handset shouldn't require the original SD card to be reformatted and restored every time as well?

Some possibly pertinent info: as previously stated: using a Q10, now running OS version 10.3
    My micro SD Card is a Samsung 64GB Evo MicroSDHC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 UHS-I Memory card (I had issues with 3 SanDisk cards failing quite spectacularly without any warning)

Any reasonable suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Er1nyes; 09-09-15 at 04:17 AM. Reason: missing micro SD card info
    09-09-15 04:08 AM
    Did you log into BlackBerry ID? I remember I couldn't even restore my backup without logging into BlackBerry ID first.

Outside of that I don't know...

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    09-09-15 05:08 AM
    You have to, if the card was encrypted, for obvious reasons.

Posted via CB10
    shahyaz likes this.
    09-09-15 07:02 AM
    Some possibly pertinent info: as previously stated: using a Q10, now running OS version 10.3
    My micro SD Card is a Samsung 64GB Evo MicroSDHC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 UHS-I Memory card (I had issues with 3 SanDisk cards failing quite spectacularly without any warning)
    I have had a few Sandisk cards flake out on me as well. What were the symptoms you had with them? Mine just seem to get corrupted and start causing memory issues with my phone, then eventually I can't delete certain files or create any new files.

Thanks
    09-09-15 07:29 AM
    Yes I logged into my bbid, no I have never turned encryption on, and while I sympathise over your issues with Sandisk, my question still stands: why do I need to reformat my unencrypted micro sd card when restoring to the exact same handset.

Slainte, Knowledge is power... Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 04:58 PM
    Not sure why either. On my Z10, I've backed up, restored, autoloaded my OS, and blitz loaded my OS many times in the two years I've had it. Even wiped the phone a couple of times.

My SD card was never touched. I think I removed it for maybe two OS autoloads. Stuff on the card stayed there. I've never had to reformat it or do anything to it, really.

I don't understand why you would be having that problem. Have you tried simply removing the SD card before doing any backup/restore?

Posted via CB10
    Er1nyes likes this.
    09-09-15 05:58 PM
    Of the card is not encrypted, you shouldn't have to reformat even if it's on another device.

Not sure what the issue is. I have reformatted my phone with the card in it many times and always had access to the card after, although it takes a bit of time for it to be populated

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 06:02 PM
    SanDisk... one card went flaky. It's it a general thing? I believed they were good...?

Got a second one, Kingston 64 now. See how we go. But: That Amazon deal for the 128GB SanDisk one was just too good! :-)

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    09-09-15 06:30 PM
    Yes I logged into my bbid, no I have never turned encryption on, and while I sympathise over your issues with Sandisk, my question still stands: why do I need to reformat my unencrypted micro sd card when restoring to the exact same handset.

Slainte, Knowledge is power... Posted via CB10
    Have you tried using a different SD card?
    09-09-15 06:46 PM
    Until the super geeks chime in, have you tried BBVE program?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 06:55 PM
    Never bother with my SD card and link. I just copy and paste to back it up. And it's never touched by an OS install etc.
    09-09-15 07:02 PM
    No problem here. Multiple BB phones and many OS backups, reloads, autoloaders, and blitz. Had the same SD card for years. Never had to reformat.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 10:50 PM
    I had two 64G sd cards die on me after a fairly short life and not that much use. Now i stick with 32G cards. I never encrypt the cards bc of the risk of them becoming inaccessible. For some people this kind of security is needed, but not for me.
    09-10-15 05:41 AM